List of riders who have had epstein barr virus?

motokiwi
Fantasy
319th
Whos had it?

Reed
RC?
Covington
|
ML512
Fantasy
54th
7/9/2019 11:55pm
I think Andrew Short got it one year, could be wrong though...

Davi Millsaps?

DF313
Fantasy
2460th
7/9/2019 11:56pm
Tyler Bowers?
MXant15
Fantasy
729th
7/10/2019 12:01am Edited Date/Time 7/10/2019 12:17am
Martin Davalos
Max Nagl
Arnaud Tonus
Heath Voss

The Shop

RutDipper
7/10/2019 12:47am
I had diagnosed Epstein bar several yrs ago, was not fun...I feel I’ve never fully recovered from it. It can lead to chronic fatigue syndrome etc.
Motofinne
7/10/2019 2:52am
Darian Sanayei. He got it also in the absolute worst possible time considering that this is his last year in MX2.
tobz
7/10/2019 3:26am
scott_nz wrote:
Tim Ferry had it at one stage I think,
Ya 02 or 03 I think,
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
7/10/2019 5:49am
motokiwi wrote:
Whos had it?

Reed
RC?
Covington
Very Good Question, I have wondered this , I have been a fan for 30 years and it seems like motocross racers get this
A lot more than the general public, perhaps from taking in mouth fulls of dirt ?
Or??
Sweetd31
7/10/2019 6:11am
Mononucleosis or mono since we seem to be hell bent on continuing to call it EBV.
crusty_xx
Fantasy
156th
7/10/2019 6:24am Edited Date/Time 7/10/2019 6:25am
David Knight
Tyler Bowers
Benoit Paturel
Vicky Golden

The list if long. And I'm hoping that we don't have to add Ken Roczen soon
CPR
7/10/2019 6:24am
From Wikipedia:
The Epstein–Barr virus (EBV), formally called Human gammaherpesvirus 4, is one of eight known human herpesvirus types in the herpes family, and is one of the most common viruses.
It is best known as the cause of infectious mononucleosis ("mono" or "glandular fever"). It is also associated with various non-malignant, premalignant, and malignant Epstein-Barr virus-associated lymphoproliferative diseases such as Burkitt lymphoma, hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis,[2] and Hodgkin's lymphoma; non-lymphoid malignancies such as gastric cancer and nasopharyngeal carcinoma; and conditions associated with human immunodeficiency virus such as hairy leukoplakia and central nervous system lymphomas.[3][4] The virus is also associated with the childhood disorders of Alice in Wonderland Syndrome[5] and acute cerebellar ataxia[6] and, based on some evidence, higher risks of developing certain autoimmune diseases,[7] especially dermatomyositis, systemic lupus erythematosus, rheumatoid arthritis, Sjögren's syndrome,[8][9] and multiple sclerosis.[10] [11]. About 200,000 cancer cases per year are thought to be attributable to EBV.[12]

Most people become infected with EBV and gain adaptive immunity. In the United States, about half of all five-year-old children and about 90% of adults have evidence of previous infection.[14] Infants become susceptible to EBV as soon as maternal antibody protection disappears. Many children become infected with EBV, and these infections usually cause no symptoms or are indistinguishable from the other mild, brief illnesses of childhood. In the United States and other developed countries, many people are not infected with EBV in their childhood years.[15] When infection with EBV occurs during adolescence, it causes infectious mononucleosis 35 to 50% of the time.[16]

Seems it's very common and not a moto phenomenon.
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
7/10/2019 6:27am
CPR wrote:
From Wikipedia: The Epstein–Barr virus (EBV), formally called Human gammaherpesvirus 4, is one of eight known human herpesvirus types in the herpes family, and is one...
From Wikipedia:
The Epstein–Barr virus (EBV), formally called Human gammaherpesvirus 4, is one of eight known human herpesvirus types in the herpes family, and is one of the most common viruses.
It is best known as the cause of infectious mononucleosis ("mono" or "glandular fever"). It is also associated with various non-malignant, premalignant, and malignant Epstein-Barr virus-associated lymphoproliferative diseases such as Burkitt lymphoma, hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis,[2] and Hodgkin's lymphoma; non-lymphoid malignancies such as gastric cancer and nasopharyngeal carcinoma; and conditions associated with human immunodeficiency virus such as hairy leukoplakia and central nervous system lymphomas.[3][4] The virus is also associated with the childhood disorders of Alice in Wonderland Syndrome[5] and acute cerebellar ataxia[6] and, based on some evidence, higher risks of developing certain autoimmune diseases,[7] especially dermatomyositis, systemic lupus erythematosus, rheumatoid arthritis, Sjögren's syndrome,[8][9] and multiple sclerosis.[10] [11]. About 200,000 cancer cases per year are thought to be attributable to EBV.[12]

Most people become infected with EBV and gain adaptive immunity. In the United States, about half of all five-year-old children and about 90% of adults have evidence of previous infection.[14] Infants become susceptible to EBV as soon as maternal antibody protection disappears. Many children become infected with EBV, and these infections usually cause no symptoms or are indistinguishable from the other mild, brief illnesses of childhood. In the United States and other developed countries, many people are not infected with EBV in their childhood years.[15] When infection with EBV occurs during adolescence, it causes infectious mononucleosis 35 to 50% of the time.[16]

Seems it's very common and not a moto phenomenon.
Yep, calling it Epstein barr instead of mono makes it sound more official and unusual.
Crush
7/10/2019 6:32am
All on drugs!
early
Fantasy
2231st
7/10/2019 6:43am
Maybe the riders should stop kissing each other
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
7/10/2019 7:10am
motokiwi wrote:
Whos had it?

Reed
RC?
Covington
Tarz483 wrote:
Very Good Question, I have wondered this , I have been a fan for 30 years and it seems like motocross racers get this A lot...
Very Good Question, I have wondered this , I have been a fan for 30 years and it seems like motocross racers get this
A lot more than the general public, perhaps from taking in mouth fulls of dirt ?
Or??
Mouthful of dirt? I guess you could call it that...mouthful of something, that’s for sure
mxbrian15
7/10/2019 7:19am Edited Date/Time 7/10/2019 7:20am
ML512 wrote:

Davi Millsaps?

Andrew Short did not have Epstein Barr. He had a thyroid issue (hypothyroidism). I only know this because I spoke with his trainer (Seiji) at the time when it was happening, as I was just starting to deal with hypothyroidism myself.
BobPA
7/10/2019 7:54am
Every single rider that is underperforming seems to contract it.
ga_pike
7/10/2019 8:24am
There is also chronic active EBV in which the symptoms last even longer and can recur out of nowhere. Lots of people who have mono don't know it simply because they do not put the strain on their body... they might just be a little more tired than usual or never actually notice at all.
observeroffacts
Fantasy
3725th
7/10/2019 8:38am Edited Date/Time 7/10/2019 8:52am
ML512 wrote:

Davi Millsaps?

mxbrian15 wrote:
Andrew Short did not have Epstein Barr. He had a thyroid issue (hypothyroidism). I only know this because I spoke with his trainer (Seiji) at the...
Andrew Short did not have Epstein Barr. He had a thyroid issue (hypothyroidism). I only know this because I spoke with his trainer (Seiji) at the time when it was happening, as I was just starting to deal with hypothyroidism myself.
Yes. Short had subacute hypothyroidism not EBV
observeroffacts
Fantasy
3725th
7/10/2019 8:39am
ML512 wrote:

Davi Millsaps?

mxbrian15 wrote:
Andrew Short did not have Epstein Barr. He had a thyroid issue (hypothyroidism). I only know this because I spoke with his trainer (Seiji) at the...
I’ve got hypothyroidism too. It’s like EBV but is chronic and never goes away.
mxbrian15
7/10/2019 12:54pm
ML512 wrote:

Davi Millsaps?

mxbrian15 wrote:
Correct. Luckily, if you can get your TSH levels right with medication, it never gets "perfect" but I was at least able to get back to a point where you can ride and train again.

I tend to think I gave myself hypothyroidism from all of the crazy training I did in college. I honestly think I took it too far for too long and that is what pushed my system over the edge. Looking back on it now, all I ever knew was more, more, more, and I was training for triathlons while also training for GNCC/harescrambles. I look back and just shake my head that I used to think taking a rest day was a bad thing. Overtraining is by far worse than not training at all.
500guy
7/10/2019 1:00pm
RutDipper wrote:
I had diagnosed Epstein bar several yrs ago, was not fun...I feel I’ve never fully recovered from it. It can lead to chronic fatigue syndrome etc.
Okay, Tell us as implied in another thread everyone who has had it was because of PED's

is that what happened to you?
sam hain
7/10/2019 1:03pm
Sellards
I don't remember Brock having EB, but he does have rare blood disorder (similar to myself) where when he gets really fatigued and/or hot it makes him sick. I have to be really careful riding offroad for several hours at a time in the summer or I get deathly sick for hours.
agn5009
7/10/2019 1:33pm
mxbrian15 wrote:
mxbrian15 wrote:
Correct. Luckily, if you can get your TSH levels right with medication, it never gets "perfect" but I was at least able to get back to...
Correct. Luckily, if you can get your TSH levels right with medication, it never gets "perfect" but I was at least able to get back to a point where you can ride and train again.

I tend to think I gave myself hypothyroidism from all of the crazy training I did in college. I honestly think I took it too far for too long and that is what pushed my system over the edge. Looking back on it now, all I ever knew was more, more, more, and I was training for triathlons while also training for GNCC/harescrambles. I look back and just shake my head that I used to think taking a rest day was a bad thing. Overtraining is by far worse than not training at all.
Same thing happened to me in college. Don’t know if it came from over training or extracurricular activities with certain girls. Either way it sucked. It’s definitely been way more difficult to stay motivated and active since getting it.
VetMX.com
7/10/2019 1:36pm
ML512 wrote:

Davi Millsaps?

mxbrian15 wrote:
Do an iodine test on your wrist. Google it.
nrosso391
Fantasy
2829th
8/4/2021 6:33am
I think EBV is complete BS. Look at each riders career before they announce they supposedly have this illness. EVERY ONE of them was losing races and not being there normal self. Usually it's a mentality problem. So they make up they have this fake illness so they can get their head straight or fix whatever problem is bothering them, outside of motocross, in their personal life. They figure it out and come back fairly fast. All of them have the same story. And all of them had something going on outside of moto at the time.

Anyone else notice this pattern?

Post a reply to: List of riders who have had epstein barr virus?

The Latest