Limited supply of 2021 bikes?

brocsdad
It seems Covid has left us with a limited supply of 2021 bikes. I was told by my local dealer (Nashville TN) that they were possibly getting 1 bike in October and another in March. Also due to the limited supply the dealers are asking full MSRP.

After calling around I seem to be getting the same story from all of the dealers.

I would like to sale the 19 prior to buying the 21 but I don't want to get stuck without a bike.

|
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
8/28/2020 3:17pm Edited Date/Time 8/28/2020 4:51pm
What brand of bike? no shortage here with Yamaha, they always start comming in one or two at a time and then they start showing up 10-20 at a time. But that is normal and even when the first YZ400 4 strokes came out in was only one at a time at first because demand was so great, Not sure on other brands and avlability.
Johnny Depp
8/28/2020 3:20pm
brocsdad wrote:
It seems Covid has left us with a limited supply of 2021 bikes. I was told by my local dealer (Nashville TN) that they were possibly...
It seems Covid has left us with a limited supply of 2021 bikes. I was told by my local dealer (Nashville TN) that they were possibly getting 1 bike in October and another in March. Also due to the limited supply the dealers are asking full MSRP.

After calling around I seem to be getting the same story from all of the dealers.

I would like to sale the 19 prior to buying the 21 but I don't want to get stuck without a bike.

Assuming you mean the NEW Honda? There will be plenty of old model '21's.
ktmdan
8/28/2020 3:22pm
I know bicycles are bad. I broke my specialized frame a few months ago in Bentonville. (The specialized ‘lifetime warranty’ on frames is a joke/scam btw). No new stumpjumpers any time soon and the LBS said no Trek bikes until spring...
wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
8/28/2020 3:22pm
Lots of ‘21 ktms here. Quite a few ‘20s left too though.

The Shop

avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
8/28/2020 3:35pm
If you don't have a really good connection with a Honda dealer, good luck getting a new model '21. They will all be sold at a premium, and most likely all are spoken for already.
ccullins
8/28/2020 3:49pm
ktmdan wrote:
I know bicycles are bad. I broke my specialized frame a few months ago in Bentonville. (The specialized ‘lifetime warranty’ on frames is a joke/scam btw)...
I know bicycles are bad. I broke my specialized frame a few months ago in Bentonville. (The specialized ‘lifetime warranty’ on frames is a joke/scam btw). No new stumpjumpers any time soon and the LBS said no Trek bikes until spring...
Didn’t used to be that way. Broke a 4 year old Stump Jumper frame back in the early 90’s. Got a new updated frame no problem.
Ewan
8/28/2020 3:50pm
ktmdan wrote:
I know bicycles are bad. I broke my specialized frame a few months ago in Bentonville. (The specialized ‘lifetime warranty’ on frames is a joke/scam btw)...
That's not my experience of Specialized's warranty replacement.

Had a replacement frameset for my Epic FSR within 10 days of my local dealer receiving the bike and assessing a crack. Wife got a new Roval wheel when the hub failed on her Stumpy no questions asked, they also warranted a 3 year old dropper post that was beyond economic repair.

Been buying from Spesh for 22 years, due in part that their warranty is solid. Recently bought some Orbea's - an Alma XC race bike for my daughter and a 2020 Occam trail bike for my wife because Specialized UK couldn't supply us a bike nor guarantee a new Stumpy would be delivered before March next year. Only hoping the Spaniards match the big S should anything go tits up with these bikes.

Spooner
8/28/2020 4:34pm
I've seen quite a few 21 KTM's in shops.
8/28/2020 5:04pm
ktmdan wrote:
I cracked a Roubaix a few years back and same deal. Paid to have it fixed and sold it
brocsdad
8/28/2020 5:26pm
I’m looking for a 21 Yamaha YZ 250F. Most of the dealers are telling me the first few will be arriving in October but they already have deposits. The next shipment will be in March. On top of that none of dealers are willing to budge off MSRP. So you will paying $9-$10k for a 250 that’s worth $6k once you roll it out.

I went through this with Trek Mtn Bikes back in May. We just received the bikes in August.

kb228
8/28/2020 5:28pm
Theres more of a delay on manufacturing and delivery than a limited supply. Companies are still reopening from the sniffle shutdown
rohleder644
8/28/2020 5:32pm
ktmdan wrote:
I’m not too far of a drive for you here in KC and I know of at least 2 shops with stumpys and Trek’s. Holler at me if you need help sourcing one.
sandman768
8/28/2020 6:38pm
I have had my 2021 Ktm 350sfx for about a month already...
Lightning78
8/28/2020 7:31pm
Spooner wrote:
I've seen quite a few 21 KTM's in shops.
I was just at Stockton Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki and they have 1 of each of the '21's a KX450, a YZ450, a YZ250x and....to no ones surprise 1 20 RMZ450 😂 AND A KX85 and thaaaaaats it for mx bikes. Oh they also had a Honda 110 which I wasnt expecting to see.
Spooner
8/28/2020 7:33pm
I was at a shop today that actually had TWO PW's on the floor, I was shocked haha! They said they hadn't had them very long though. I was considering buying them to sell at a profit lol.
dadofagun
Fantasy
1962nd
8/28/2020 7:58pm
ktmdan wrote:
GT isn't any better as far as supply for the masses......
ktmdan
8/28/2020 10:12pm
ktmdan wrote:
Ewan wrote:
That's not my experience of Specialized's warranty replacement. Had a replacement frameset for my Epic FSR within 10 days of my local dealer receiving the bike...

Had a replacement frameset for my Epic FSR within 10 days of my local dealer receiving the bike and assessing a crack. Wife got a new Roval wheel when the hub failed on her Stumpy no questions asked, they also warranted a 3 year old dropper post that was beyond economic repair.

Been buying from Spesh for 22 years, due in part that their warranty is solid. Recently bought some Orbea's - an Alma XC race bike for my daughter and a 2020 Occam trail bike for my wife because Specialized UK couldn't supply us a bike nor guarantee a new Stumpy would be delivered before March next year. Only hoping the Spaniards match the big S should anything go tits up with these bikes.

This is the second specialized frame I’ve broken. The first was a 26er. They said ‘we don’t make 26 frames anymore so you can have 50% off any bike’. Okay that’s cool but now I still have to dish out over $1000 for another bike.

I broke my 27.5 recently and they said, sorry no more frames, instead you can have 35% off a new bike. It’s just enough discount to keep me on a specialized but still I’m having to spend well over $1000 to replace my bike which was supposed to have a lifetime frame warranty, and I’ll be bike-less for many months. Okay rant over, I sound awfully ungrateful when I type it out and read it.
wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
8/29/2020 5:17am
ktmdan wrote:
Ewan wrote:
That's not my experience of Specialized's warranty replacement. Had a replacement frameset for my Epic FSR within 10 days of my local dealer receiving the bike...

ktmdan wrote:
This is the second specialized frame I’ve broken. The first was a 26er. They said ‘we don’t make 26 frames anymore so you can have 50%...
This is the second specialized frame I’ve broken. The first was a 26er. They said ‘we don’t make 26 frames anymore so you can have 50% off any bike’. Okay that’s cool but now I still have to dish out over $1000 for another bike.

I broke my 27.5 recently and they said, sorry no more frames, instead you can have 35% off a new bike. It’s just enough discount to keep me on a specialized but still I’m having to spend well over $1000 to replace my bike which was supposed to have a lifetime frame warranty, and I’ll be bike-less for many months. Okay rant over, I sound awfully ungrateful when I type it out and read it.
To me a lifetime warranty does not mean 35% off a new bike which is a worse price than they used to give bike shop employees.
Tuna
8/29/2020 5:51am
Lots of new 21 Husky’s showing up at my dealer. There was a 2 week strike at the Port of Montreal that delayed things but the are moving again now. Supposed to have a load of Enduro bikes next week.
Tuna
8/29/2020 5:54am
Ewan wrote:

ktmdan wrote:
This is the second specialized frame I’ve broken. The first was a 26er. They said ‘we don’t make 26 frames anymore so you can have 50%...

wrc777 wrote:
To me a lifetime warranty does not mean 35% off a new bike which is a worse price than they used to give bike shop employees.
I’d be saying bye bye to Specialized....
I’m on Giant now, still have a Rockhopper in the garage.
Timo_2824
8/29/2020 6:10am
ktmdan wrote:
Ewan wrote:

Really depends on the bike shop you take it to, just like moto.
280driver
8/29/2020 6:33am
I was told the same thing about the ‘21 KX250. Could be true but could also just be the dealer using it as a “get’em while you can.” ploy.
Indy mxer
8/29/2020 7:21am
Yeah it's nuts right now. I was in my brothers dealership yesterday. He sells Polaris, Kawasaki and TM. He's one of the biggest Polaris dealers in Indiana and a team green dealer.

Here's what he had in stock to sell. 1 KX 65, 1 TM 300 and 1 Kawasaki Brute force quad. Thats it!

It's not unusual for him to have 50 to 60 SxS's in stock during normal times, plus quads and dirt bikes. Right now when he gets a delivery of SxS's they're sold when they hit the ground. He has people putting money down on them a month ahead delivery.

They got a 2021 KX450xc 2 weeks ago and sold it the next day. He's waiting on his KX's and has two 250's and one 450 sold already. Demand is super high.

They've been in business since 1974 and I've never seen his showroom so empty. Crazy days!
OLDMOTO
8/29/2020 11:09am
There will be plenty of 2021 in a few months. Arrivals are delayed due to supplies related to the world wide pandemic. The manufacturers did not spend millions for development, tooling and manufacturing to mass produce motorcycles only to simply not sell bikes this year. The new models are not limited editions and the dealers are not just going to get one or two bikes for the year. The dealers fan the flames of false scarcity to hook the suckers that will pay overly inflated prices. If you've got the money to waste and have to have one before everyone else go for it. Every year there is a small group that pays 2 or 3 thousand dollars too much for a bike when they are first released. Be patient.
three9zero
8/29/2020 12:32pm
OLDMOTO wrote:
There will be plenty of 2021 in a few months. Arrivals are delayed due to supplies related to the world wide pandemic. The manufacturers did not...
There will be plenty of 2021 in a few months. Arrivals are delayed due to supplies related to the world wide pandemic. The manufacturers did not spend millions for development, tooling and manufacturing to mass produce motorcycles only to simply not sell bikes this year. The new models are not limited editions and the dealers are not just going to get one or two bikes for the year. The dealers fan the flames of false scarcity to hook the suckers that will pay overly inflated prices. If you've got the money to waste and have to have one before everyone else go for it. Every year there is a small group that pays 2 or 3 thousand dollars too much for a bike when they are first released. Be patient.
I've been allocated only 60% of my requested order from one of my main brands here at my dealership, and they are 2 months later than usual........The gold bar models(efi two stokes) will be limited and not discounted, for one of the models I've already sold out with cash deposits, with the last of them arriving in December....
OLDMOTO
8/29/2020 1:07pm
I'll speculate a little. This time next year there will be unsold 2021 models with discounts and incentives to move them off the sales floors. New model sales were much better than expected and the supply was sold sooner than anticipated. Dealers are trying to order more units than last year in anticipation of increased sales. Here again I don't beleive the manufacturers are simply going to write off sales for the 2021 model year. Its still 2020.
Johnny Depp
8/29/2020 1:21pm Edited Date/Time 8/29/2020 1:21pm
OLDMOTO wrote:
I'll speculate a little. This time next year there will be unsold 2021 models with discounts and incentives to move them off the sales floors. New...
I'll speculate a little. This time next year there will be unsold 2021 models with discounts and incentives to move them off the sales floors. New model sales were much better than expected and the supply was sold sooner than anticipated. Dealers are trying to order more units than last year in anticipation of increased sales. Here again I don't beleive the manufacturers are simply going to write off sales for the 2021 model year. Its still 2020.
I promise dealers will continue to be crying by Christmas. This will not clear up in a few months, as you said, next year...
8/29/2020 3:09pm
ktmdan wrote:
They replaced my buddies Stumpjunper frame, no questions asked. And he bought the bike used!
three9zero
8/29/2020 3:14pm
OLDMOTO wrote:
I'll speculate a little. This time next year there will be unsold 2021 models with discounts and incentives to move them off the sales floors. New...
I promise dealers will continue to be crying by Christmas. This will not clear up in a few months, as you said, next year...
Everything "family orientated" is gone....entry level bikes, 250cc and under bikes, ATV's, Side by sides, watercraft and boats.....Every dealer across my country is sold out of everything(lots of 450 motocross bikes still though..)
The current challenge for the brands is to restock every dealer, "now"......Its gonna take time, units are coming in one or two at a time and they are mostly sold with deposit to customers who missed out getting something in the summer....
The OEM's, if they are smart, will continue the low supply, high demand inventory levels. That will eliminate bottom feeder dealers who wholesale their product from doing so, and eliminate them having to rebate left over stock which costs them money.

Post a reply to: Limited supply of 2021 bikes?

The Latest