Liked hearing Tomac Voice his opinion

AJ565
3/30/2019 8:13am
dirtmike86 wrote:
They pile the dirt and roll them with a loader. So I could be wrong but I'd imagine it was done differently in the past? If...
They pile the dirt and roll them with a loader. So I could be wrong but I'd imagine it was done differently in the past? If you pile the dirt closer together then pack them with the wheel loader you will have shallow whoops. Ether way they should go back to the old way. Jumping the whoops is just straight boring to watch. Nothing like stew or Reed smashing past someone in the whoops back in the day.
They used to make them with the bucket one at a time. Last time I was on a SX track was 98 and 99 Pontiac SX and those were tall and close together.
FlaNard
3/30/2019 8:17am
Nothing to separate the riders so real whoops had to go. Startercross and freight train races are all we get now and it's by design. Someone decided that finishing in the same spot you were in at the end of the first lap is acceptable as long as the riders are close on the track the whole time.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1102nd
3/30/2019 8:17am
Gus wrote:
Where is said interview
Homepage Bro. Once a day is all we ask. Cool
Shaned9326
3/30/2019 8:19am
This is why the nationals couldn’t get here soon enough and I’m sure you will see a different speed in Eli once he gets on actual tracks that allow passing!!

The Shop

Question
3/30/2019 8:30am Edited Date/Time 3/30/2019 8:32am
kb228 wrote:
Agree. If theyre easy enough to jump then theyre not whoops.
Sorry it strikes on you, it is just that you had the 3rd post.

If you think jumping whoops is easy or easier, then I am sure you have never been on a sx track. Jumping is much more dangerous. Skimming is actually easier, it is a method: most of the time 1 gear higher, lift your front wheel on the entry, then gas while staying not rigid relatively on the back of the bike, then muscle and/or throttle it to adjust where the front wheel hits. Jumping is a whole different animal, especially jumping 3 per 3 or 4, good luck to you if you jump just 10 centimeters too long. You must have a perfect throttle control, perfect impulsion, perfect coordination, whereas skimming is more for big hearts. I would even add that Musquin has even a better technique because he often wheel tap in it.

The whole jumping/skimming debate is just for butt hurts. Skimming started around 1986, so whoops have not been always skimmed. The technique got more and more popular, but there has always been some jumping. And asking for tighter whoops is a bit ridiculous ; Reed or Steward would have always asked for bigger and nastier ones to make the difference.
soggy
Fantasy
3783rd
3/30/2019 9:21am
welll tomac gave his opinion and you said its not valid, by saying its an excuse. you only care cause it's tomac that gave his opinion. you are obviously triggered when it comes to tomac.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
3/30/2019 9:44am
Harv379 wrote:
All the tracks have been like whoop jumping this year, basic, small, nothing to seperate guys. The track that did, Tomac killed the field because he...
All the tracks have been like whoop jumping this year, basic, small, nothing to seperate guys. The track that did, Tomac killed the field because he could do stuff that's different that the other guys didn't think of or couldn't do. I believe he gets bored on these basic cookie cutter tracks and doesn't get inspired to push and crush the field where he doesn't get to be creative and really dig into his skill set.
So Tomac is bored on these tracks so that is why he is not winning ? Got to admit that is a original thought but seriously doubt it has anything thing to do with his sub par results.
soggy
Fantasy
3783rd
3/30/2019 10:41am
Never threw any names not sure what you mean. I was just calling out idiocy when I saw it!
MotoMan12345
Fantasy
1599th
3/30/2019 10:50am
Buncha pussies man. Make the whoops big and not jumpable. Learn to blitz whoops or you will struggle
soggy
Fantasy
3783rd
3/30/2019 10:51am
your reading comprehension is bad. I was saying that thought is dumb, never said he was dumb.
Brent
3/30/2019 11:34am
...do the taller guys normally not jump thru the whoops? Tomac is taller than most, 5'10 or close to it I think?
FlaNard
3/30/2019 12:14pm
Just saw Reed comment on a Racer X Instagram post about todays whoops saying "It's 2019. They jump them now." The riders know what's up whether people want to admit it or not. If they are all jumpers why even call them whoops?
swtwtwtw
3/30/2019 12:20pm
If the whoops were closer together everyone would skim, as it’s easier. Skimming when they are farther apart is where skills come in to play. Reedy had no problem sending it at Seattle.
ShipLap
3/30/2019 12:32pm
Harv379 wrote:
All the tracks have been like whoop jumping this year, basic, small, nothing to seperate guys. The track that did, Tomac killed the field because he...
All the tracks have been like whoop jumping this year, basic, small, nothing to seperate guys. The track that did, Tomac killed the field because he could do stuff that's different that the other guys didn't think of or couldn't do. I believe he gets bored on these basic cookie cutter tracks and doesn't get inspired to push and crush the field where he doesn't get to be creative and really dig into his skill set.
lostboy819 wrote:
So Tomac is bored on these tracks so that is why he is not winning ? Got to admit that is a original thought but seriously...
So Tomac is bored on these tracks so that is why he is not winning ? Got to admit that is a original thought but seriously doubt it has anything thing to do with his sub par results.
RC would never wave the white flag like that.
3/30/2019 12:37pm
Sluggo77 wrote:
Not a whoop expert so just wondering can good ones have the option of doing both? I always thought so, as long as they are big...
Not a whoop expert so just wondering can good ones have the option of doing both? I always thought so, as long as they are big enough? Watching a Millville National one time, lots of rider skimming them and it looked very fast, than Pourcel comes along with this amazing rhythm a makes a quad out of the last 4, landing perfectly on the downside of the last one while entering the corner, it was sick! I don't recall which was faster, or could tell, but it was fun to see both styles of attack.
Agreed. Factoring in jump line vs. skimming makes it interesting to see how different riding styles attack the same track. That said, skimming SHOULD be the preferred method, with jumping secondary, not the reverse as it has been so far this season.

I can make an exception for Musquin, as he's made jumping the whoops into a damned art form (no matter how you feel about the guy, his riding style is poetry in motion, especially in person).
plowboy
3/30/2019 12:57pm
If I built the whoops...they'd be unevenly spaced, differing heights, sharp and rounded all mixed together. Now it's an obstacle...a challenge. Every one complains about "cookie cutter" tracks and then wants cookie cutter blitzable whoops at every track.
wreckitrandy
3/30/2019 1:27pm
plowboy wrote:
If I built the whoops...they'd be unevenly spaced, differing heights, sharp and rounded all mixed together. Now it's an obstacle...a challenge. Every one complains about "cookie...
If I built the whoops...they'd be unevenly spaced, differing heights, sharp and rounded all mixed together. Now it's an obstacle...a challenge. Every one complains about "cookie cutter" tracks and then wants cookie cutter blitzable whoops at every track.
Let it eat, plowboy!
just James
3/30/2019 2:01pm
plowboy wrote:
If I built the whoops...they'd be unevenly spaced, differing heights, sharp and rounded all mixed together. Now it's an obstacle...a challenge. Every one complains about "cookie...
That is exactly what is needed.
DPR250R
3/30/2019 2:18pm Edited Date/Time 3/30/2019 2:18pm
plowboy wrote:
You forgot spike strips in between each whoop.
3/30/2019 2:36pm
If they build big whoops for the last 4 rounds the KTM boys will have fits!
Build them up I say haha Lets close up this points race heading to Vegas
CPR
3/30/2019 2:57pm
dirtmike86 wrote:
They pile the dirt and roll them with a loader. So I could be wrong but I'd imagine it was done differently in the past? If...
They pile the dirt and roll them with a loader. So I could be wrong but I'd imagine it was done differently in the past? If you pile the dirt closer together then pack them with the wheel loader you will have shallow whoops. Ether way they should go back to the old way. Jumping the whoops is just straight boring to watch. Nothing like stew or Reed smashing past someone in the whoops back in the day.
Pretty sure back in the day most whoops were built with a bobcat, (maybe you call it a skid steer in the states?), so they were less even and closer together. Nearly always hardback too.
plowboy
3/30/2019 2:58pm
plowboy wrote:
DPR250R wrote:
You forgot spike strips in between each whoop.
My bad...and spike strips. Maybe even alligators at select rounds.Evil
Yeti365
3/30/2019 4:00pm
RJMX834 wrote:
On the homepage SX pre-race Houston video. Near the end Tomac expresses his hatred toward tactic of "jumping through the whoops". He'd like to see gaps...
On the homepage SX pre-race Houston video. Near the end Tomac expresses his hatred toward tactic of "jumping through the whoops". He'd like to see gaps between them closed up so you'd have to skim. I for one, 100% agree. Whoops are one of the true obstacles on a track where time can be won or lost. Skimming a sets a true talent.
I know a few other people noted this last Saturday night in some threads. Nice to hear a rider feel the same.
Sorry, late to the discussion.

I agree wholeheartedly. One thing I miss about motocross from when I was growing up is how raw the tracks were. Seeing guys just skim through those whoops was awe-inspiring.

I'm still blown away seeing what these guys can do but I would like to see a little classic touch thrown in there. This definitely includes whoops.

Idk, for supercross there's always been three things I loved seeing on the track: elevated starts, real whoop sections thrown out in variation with one classic "standard" lane and massive, wide sand turns.

Just me. Some people are hating on Tomac, but he's definitely one of my favorite newer riders. I root like hell for him, Deeno, Webb, Peick and Hill. Just like how they represent themselves in this sport, regardless of results, and watching how they ride.
akillerwombat
3/30/2019 4:13pm
We still bitching about those whoops?

I thought they were just a bunch of tiny triples.

It was different.

It had an effect on the outcome of the race.

I liked it.
dirtmike86
3/31/2019 12:17am
dirtmike86 wrote:
CPR wrote:
Pretty sure back in the day most whoops were built with a bobcat, (maybe you call it a skid steer in the states?), so they were...
Pretty sure back in the day most whoops were built with a bobcat, (maybe you call it a skid steer in the states?), so they were less even and closer together. Nearly always hardback too.
Yeah bobcat is a brand, skid steer is the type of equipment. Makes sense though because a skid has small wheel so they can be built taller with less distance between but probably takes way longer to build so the just pile them and pack with the loader. They still use the skids to clean them up.

Post a reply to: Liked hearing Tomac Voice his opinion

The Latest