Liked hearing Tomac Voice his opinion

Related:
Create New Tag

3/29/2019 7:50 PM

On the homepage SX pre-race Houston video. Near the end Tomac expresses his hatred toward tactic of "jumping through the whoops". He'd like to see gaps between them closed up so you'd have to skim. I for one, 100% agree. Whoops are one of the true obstacles on a track where time can be won or lost. Skimming a sets a true talent.
I know a few other people noted this last Saturday night in some threads. Nice to hear a rider feel the same.

|

3/29/2019 7:57 PM

Agree. If theyre easy enough to jump then theyre not whoops.

|

3/29/2019 7:59 PM

GuyB does a great job with interviews.

|

3/29/2019 8:10 PM

I don't think he's using it as an excuse. I think he know's he has a talent. He also knows its hard to utilize that talent to the best his abilities and make up time when you've got some bone head track designers (or whomever makes this decision) designing the track so it evens out the playing field. When your talking pro's anyone can skim/jump them, but how many can perfectly skim a set more times than not? The list is much shorter. The tracks are already becoming more boring by the season, the design of these whoops sections aren't helping the cause.

|

3/29/2019 8:11 PM

Ted722 wrote:

GuyB does a great job with interviews.

For sure. Credit where credit is due. Maybe GuyB has that touch haha. Not many times you can get a straight forward answer from Tomac like that.

|

3/29/2019 8:46 PM

Wow, ET showed some emotion! Good for him. He should do that more often. And remember he has 3 wins so far, so he is winning.

I agree with him though. The whoops are supposed to be 'whoops' not a series of small jumps.

|

3/29/2019 8:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/29/2019 8:50 PM

kb228 wrote:

Agree. If theyre easy enough to jump then theyre not whoops.

Those ones werent easy tho some of the biggest of the season so far , but seem to have passed the threshold of whats skimmable and maybe they're so big, that they are
Like a small rythm section more so than whoops ?

|

3/29/2019 9:08 PM

That section in Seattle was probably the most interesting track section of the year though. I like that. Have something like that and also a section of true whoops you can't jump.

|

3/29/2019 9:16 PM

Guy on left just won 2 in a row while not being able to skim woops. Guy in right. He has big woop skimming balls!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BD3sAOyhPcS/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1l9vr23zkyyo2

|

3/29/2019 10:36 PM

All the tracks have been like whoop jumping this year, basic, small, nothing to seperate guys. The track that did, Tomac killed the field because he could do stuff that's different that the other guys didn't think of or couldn't do. I believe he gets bored on these basic cookie cutter tracks and doesn't get inspired to push and crush the field where he doesn't get to be creative and really dig into his skill set.

|

3/29/2019 11:12 PM

Everyone has to ride the same track- Eli needs to adapt..

|

Current rides-
1988 RM250
2019 KX450

3/30/2019 12:59 AM

They pile the dirt and roll them with a loader. So I could be wrong but I'd imagine it was done differently in the past? If you pile the dirt closer together then pack them with the wheel loader you will have shallow whoops. Ether way they should go back to the old way. Jumping the whoops is just straight boring to watch. Nothing like stew or Reed smashing past someone in the whoops back in the day.

|

3/30/2019 6:00 AM

I get bored with SX after about rnd14, BUT I could watch someone skim a big long set of whoops all day (a but dubbed 2t sound makes it better). SX is a technical speciality and whoops are meant to be a big part of that, not just skimming but setting up for them, the corner after for the next section.

Make them big and challenging, let’s face it ‘everyone’ says 4t’s have made riding SX easier

|

Now a member of the Orange brigade

3/30/2019 6:05 AM

this is the dumbest comment you'll read today. so only the winner of the race gets an opinion? get lawst

|

3/30/2019 6:08 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/30/2019 6:09 AM

He’s saying skimming doesn’t mean crap if you ain’t winning. Everyone isn’t out here to take personal jabs at riders....

|

GP740
Since 1987

3/30/2019 6:10 AM

Would love to see this

|

3/30/2019 6:11 AM

did you even listen to the interview?

|

3/30/2019 6:17 AM

Agree with him. These tracks have become about the start and that’s it. Limited opportunities for passing. Doesn’t allow for the more talented guys to make moves because the tracks are easy and one lined. Whoops are one area that skill can make a big difference and they are eliminating that.

|

3/30/2019 6:19 AM

I may be wrong and confusing main and heats from last weekend, but wasn't Dean Wilson going way faster blitzing them than the guys who were jumping them? I thought I remember him flying through them and making a bunch of time up on Cooper who was jumping them?

|

3/30/2019 6:25 AM

Fourth_Floor wrote:

I may be wrong and confusing main and heats from last weekend, but wasn't Dean Wilson going way faster blitzing them than the guys who were jumping them? I thought I remember him flying through them and making a bunch of time up on Cooper who was jumping them?

yeah he was. Bowers was as well. But it's also more risky.

|

3/30/2019 6:33 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/30/2019 6:33 AM

If you are hopping whoops like Peter Cotton Tail down the bunny trail, they are not whoops.

|

3/30/2019 6:38 AM

Why doesn't he practice jumping whoops so he can be the best at that?

|

3/30/2019 6:45 AM

Fourth_Floor wrote:

crusty_xx wrote:

yeah he was. Bowers was as well. But it's also more risky.

So his complaint is pretty meaningless then if two guys on the same track during the same race were going way faster blitzing them vs the guys who were jumping through them.

|

3/30/2019 6:58 AM

What a stupid thing to say... if ur not winning nobody is allowed to have an opinion? Lol yeaaa

|

3/30/2019 7:03 AM

I don't know exactly how they create the whoops section at every round but at races I've been to I've seen them use rubber tired loaders. The whoop spacing is basically the wheelbase of the machine. This is also how I've done them on my own track with a tractor. Its a relatively quick way to create them and provides a pretty uniform spacing. When your back dragging through them on your tractor you can "float" the loader bucket and the tractor remains level and basically just rises up and down. The weight of the bucket rounds them all off about the same and they look bitchin. I know they trim them out during the night show with a compact track loader but I'm not sure if that's how they are originally created. If they are created like this its basically the wheelbase of the machine they use that dictates the whoop spacing. I think Dirt Wurx rents equipment at each round so it may be dependent on what they can get their hands on.

|

3/30/2019 7:11 AM

Shane Schaefer built an arenacross practice track where I lived when I was 15. I always wanted to race professional arena cross and Canadian outdoors, but after riding those whoops I was like I don’t ever want to have to go through whoops like that every single weekend. They were deep, close together, and LONG. Nobody was jumping through those things, they were 4th wide open on a 250f. So much commitment.

Long story short, whoops should be blitzed or they’re just a tiny rhythm section.

|

3/30/2019 7:23 AM

Problem that more often than not this season the whoops have been nice in practice/qualifying, then they knock them down a bit for the night show. Leave them alone for shits sake.

|

3/30/2019 7:24 AM

I agree with what Tomac said. My son used to race pro and was great at skimming the whoops. He could make up lots of time that way but when the whoops were too far apart it let riders jump them more like a rhythm section.

It's much more exciting to see someone skimming the whoops then jumping them.

|

3/30/2019 7:43 AM

Not a whoop expert so just wondering can good ones have the option of doing both? I always thought so, as long as they are big enough? Watching a Millville National one time, lots of rider skimming them and it looked very fast, than Pourcel comes along with this amazing rhythm a makes a quad out of the last 4, landing perfectly on the downside of the last one while entering the corner, it was sick! I don't recall which was faster, or could tell, but it was fun to see both styles of attack.

|

3/30/2019 8:09 AM

Don't respond to this troll. Check his post history and you'll see what I mean.

|