Like cycling? Check out Barcia's Scott Foil...

Mini Elsinore
2/7/2018 10:33am Edited Date/Time 2/7/2018 10:36am
Non-moto. Needs its own forum.... Whistling
ML512 wrote:
Moto guy, it gets the pass.
It's your forum. I'm just a single consumer of your content, so don't worry about my old man comments.

Still----why not start a "training" forum. You know----like "bike builds."
51xc
2/7/2018 10:57am
for the ppl complaining about his 'to light/ fancy' carbon bike...he raced a gt with titanium frame in a view crits when he was with jgr. so just because he likes nice bikes doesn't mean he can't do well on a 'normal' speced bike. he's a milionaire and a $11000 bike isn't hurting to much I would guess. besides that, those top mx guys have the fitness to race bicycles but especially road cycling is very technical. If you don't know what to do, you can be as fit as you want.

sick bike, btw. altough I like his addict better.

his Titanium GT:

A post shared by justinbarcia (@justinbarcia) on Jun 22, 2015 at 5:49pm PDT

2/7/2018 11:09am
51xc wrote:
for the ppl complaining about his 'to light/ fancy' carbon bike...he raced a gt with titanium frame in a view crits when he was with jgr...
for the ppl complaining about his 'to light/ fancy' carbon bike...he raced a gt with titanium frame in a view crits when he was with jgr. so just because he likes nice bikes doesn't mean he can't do well on a 'normal' speced bike. he's a milionaire and a $11000 bike isn't hurting to much I would guess. besides that, those top mx guys have the fitness to race bicycles but especially road cycling is very technical. If you don't know what to do, you can be as fit as you want.

sick bike, btw. altough I like his addict better.

his Titanium GT:

A post shared by justinbarcia (@justinbarcia) on Jun 22, 2015 at 5:49pm PDT

That bike is a beauty. I had no idea GT made a Ti frame. Wish I could buy it right now.

Next bike for me will have disc brakes tho.

The Shop

2/7/2018 11:17am Edited Date/Time 2/7/2018 11:18am
Those Zipp 858 wheels are in the $4,500 grand range. Just the damn wheels. Yep, bikes are crazy expensive.
I have 3k wrapped in my Cervelo TT bike I use for triathlons. That is the basement model with modest upgrades.
When I did Ironman Wisconsin I rented Zipp 404's for $150. Those wheels are on the cheaper side, about $1,800 a set.

ti473
2/7/2018 11:29am Edited Date/Time 2/7/2018 11:30am
ti473 wrote:
https://www.road-results.com/racer/124840 cat 5 roadie... looks like him and Hill were having some fun. Couldn't find any cross race results, but it'd be fun to hand him...
https://www.road-results.com/racer/124840

cat 5 roadie... looks like him and Hill were having some fun. Couldn't find any cross race results, but it'd be fun to hand him a twinky and heckle him
ACBraap wrote:
USAC results https://legacy.usacycling.org/results/index.php?compid=484083 Those Cat 5 results should have gotten him into 4. His MTB race in cat 1 was a distant last place. I think...
USAC results https://legacy.usacycling.org/results/index.php?compid=484083

Those Cat 5 results should have gotten him into 4. His MTB race in cat 1 was a distant last place.

I think it's cool that he's into bikes and has given bicycle racing a try. Cross is where he'd probably shine.
That's what I am saying... races with the big boys and got smoked. Of course one result isn't very indicative of anything, he could have got a flat or whatever.
Also I remember Cooper Webb saying he got worked in the sport class, that's like the B minus class for those not familiar.
I'm not bagging on these guys, like I said, I don't know, I've never ridden with them, I'm just curious to see what their level is. Johnny O is a beast I think but he's been at this for a long time. The cool thing about cycling is that a 50 year old could easily smoke a 25 year old young buck. There's such a smaller prime age range for moto while in cycling it can extend go way beyond that.
And ML, it's really hard to gauge their level by just looking at some strava rides. Avg speed doesn't meant jack, maybe power if they used a PM, knew their weight, and if you really looked deep into it and analyzed those numbers, but ain't nobody got time for that.
Next time I'm in Cali hook me up with a "cool guys" ride?
WillyB
2/7/2018 11:33am
so ML512, when is the Vitalmx road ride going to happen? Smile
ti473
2/7/2018 11:39am
Those Zipp 858 wheels are in the $4,500 grand range. Just the damn wheels. Yep, bikes are crazy expensive. I have 3k wrapped in my Cervelo...
Those Zipp 858 wheels are in the $4,500 grand range. Just the damn wheels. Yep, bikes are crazy expensive.
I have 3k wrapped in my Cervelo TT bike I use for triathlons. That is the basement model with modest upgrades.
When I did Ironman Wisconsin I rented Zipp 404's for $150. Those wheels are on the cheaper side, about $1,800 a set.

yeah but that whale inspired 800mm profile sure does miracles with those strong Florida crosswinds....

Hey listen, I love bikes and cool stuff, but I'll be the first to admit that hardcore cyclists are suckers when it comes to marketing gimmicks... and I'm not exempt. The cycling industry does a great job at brainwashing its consumers that marginal gains will translate into night and day result improvements. But they have to, otherwise they would never sell shit, and the wheel needs to keep spinning (no pun intended).
boost, internal rims that are 2mm widers, 11 vs 12 sp drivetrains, new bottom bracket standards.... blah blah blah, just another way to sell more.
Myke
Fantasy
2861st
2/7/2018 11:40am Edited Date/Time 2/7/2018 11:41am
Here's my road ride. I love this bike! I even went a little moto with the gold chain.

ACBraap
Fantasy
450th
2/7/2018 11:43am
ti473 wrote:
That's what I am saying... races with the big boys and got smoked. Of course one result isn't very indicative of anything, he could have got...
That's what I am saying... races with the big boys and got smoked. Of course one result isn't very indicative of anything, he could have got a flat or whatever.
Also I remember Cooper Webb saying he got worked in the sport class, that's like the B minus class for those not familiar.
I'm not bagging on these guys, like I said, I don't know, I've never ridden with them, I'm just curious to see what their level is. Johnny O is a beast I think but he's been at this for a long time. The cool thing about cycling is that a 50 year old could easily smoke a 25 year old young buck. There's such a smaller prime age range for moto while in cycling it can extend go way beyond that.
And ML, it's really hard to gauge their level by just looking at some strava rides. Avg speed doesn't meant jack, maybe power if they used a PM, knew their weight, and if you really looked deep into it and analyzed those numbers, but ain't nobody got time for that.
Next time I'm in Cali hook me up with a "cool guys" ride?
I don't think those are bad results at all. It would be a rare bicycle racer that could even make it around a mx track on a motorcycle.

When O'Mara quit moto, he went straight to the top of the expert XC class at the national level, back when that was sort of like racing A class at Loretta's before going pro. He then went pro but didn't set the world on fire. Funny to look at it now and realize he was racing with John Tomac. In retrospect, it's possible he was clean when others weren't.

I recall seeing mention of Jeff Stanton and Doug Henry racing XC MTB too.
Lucifa.
2/7/2018 11:43am
Lucifa. wrote:
I always laugh when I see weekend warriors riding around on their race wheels.
BobPA wrote:
I always laugh when I see roadies
I'm the same when I see riders standing around with there helmets on looking like Mr Bobble heads lol.
ML512
Fantasy
36th
2/7/2018 11:45am
WillyB wrote:
Everyday at lunch, swing by the office! I'm not here that often but GuyB is in here 3-4 days a week to ride and the rest of crew rolls 4-5 days a week.
ti473
2/7/2018 11:51am
WillyB wrote:
ML512 wrote:
Everyday at lunch, swing by the office! I'm not here that often but GuyB is in here 3-4 days a week to ride and the rest...
Everyday at lunch, swing by the office! I'm not here that often but GuyB is in here 3-4 days a week to ride and the rest of crew rolls 4-5 days a week.
meanwhile I ride the hamster wheel while watching a cartoon character ride the same cartoon roads over and over...
I'm just jealous of you west coasters....
hamncheeze
2/7/2018 12:04pm
hamncheeze wrote:
I think several of the large manufacturers are still sorting out the aero road bike with discs issue. Again, directed at the top levels of competition...
I think several of the large manufacturers are still sorting out the aero road bike with discs issue. Again, directed at the top levels of competition but there is wind tunnel data that shows disc brakes are not quite as aerodynamic as an integrated rim brake. So for example, Trek has disc brake options on their endurance Domane, the all-around/climber Emonda, but the aero road Madone remains rim brake. Also holding this all up is an inconsistency of rules regarding disc brakes in competition. For example last year in the USA they were legal, but up here in Canada they were illegal. One Cannondale sponsored team (Cylance Pro Cycling) was actually not allowed to race at some of the big money races here in BC last summer due to this rule ambiguity. In the end the whole sport came off looking rather amateur.
ML512 wrote:
Cylance raced, but the guys had to borrow bikes! One of the Williams brothers won a stage on a borrowed women's version of the SuperSix Evo...
Cylance raced, but the guys had to borrow bikes! One of the Williams brothers won a stage on a borrowed women's version of the SuperSix Evo. Laughing

Oh yeah, it's still being sorted for sure. Trek's Segafredo World Tour team is racing with discs all year for '18 though. I'm curious who will be the next to follow.
Yeah I was announcing at all of those races and it was so embarrassing. I actually tried to get some of the more highly respected Canadian riders to speak up in support, but then everyone started talking about legalities even if all the other riders agreed that Cylance was OK to race. It was ridiculous that Cylance raced Friday night and then got told they couldn't ride the bikes about 10 min before the start on Saturday night. But they could race the UCI road race on Sunday because the rules were different. IMO it was a black eye on the Canadian Cycling officials, but it speaks to how the evolving technology can create problems when there are a whole bunch of different governing bodies and the leadership at the top is slow to make concrete decisions. Kind of like motocross!
hamncheeze
2/7/2018 12:18pm
After all my talk on steel and titanium I should probably show that I have at least one plastic bike. Sunny days only for this one:

Asimo
2/7/2018 12:18pm
peelout wrote:
road cycle guys are the quad riders of the cycle world. wait, i take it back... dudes that wear spandex on a mountain bike are the...
road cycle guys are the quad riders of the cycle world.

wait, i take it back... dudes that wear spandex on a mountain bike are the quad riders, the road cycle guys are their incredibly flamboyant and enthusiastic lovers
You never hold back.
rc4187
2/7/2018 12:22pm
yz133rider wrote:
Never completely understood the high end bicycles... All the light weight and low rolling resistance and all that. Isn't the point to exercise? Why spend so...
Never completely understood the high end bicycles... All the light weight and low rolling resistance and all that. Isn't the point to exercise? Why spend so much to make it easier and less work? For bicycle racing i get it but for training and working out?
Dang It wrote:
Agree !00%. Riding a super light weight road bike is like going to the gym and bench pressing a blow up barbell or doing push ups...
Agree !00%. Riding a super light weight road bike is like going to the gym and bench pressing a blow up barbell or doing push ups on the moon. Little effort required. Cool looking bike if you get it for free but it wont get you as fit and strong as an ordinary run of the mill bike.
hamncheeze
2/7/2018 12:30pm
ti473 wrote:
https://www.road-results.com/racer/124840 cat 5 roadie... looks like him and Hill were having some fun. Couldn't find any cross race results, but it'd be fun to hand him...
https://www.road-results.com/racer/124840

cat 5 roadie... looks like him and Hill were having some fun. Couldn't find any cross race results, but it'd be fun to hand him a twinky and heckle him
ACBraap wrote:
USAC results https://legacy.usacycling.org/results/index.php?compid=484083 Those Cat 5 results should have gotten him into 4. His MTB race in cat 1 was a distant last place. I think...
USAC results https://legacy.usacycling.org/results/index.php?compid=484083

Those Cat 5 results should have gotten him into 4. His MTB race in cat 1 was a distant last place.

I think it's cool that he's into bikes and has given bicycle racing a try. Cross is where he'd probably shine.
I think it is cool when guys go out and try bicycle racing, any discipline. I think Justin Brayton and Jeremy Martin have done some MTB racing, ditto for Barcia. Davi Millsaps and Ezra Lusk raced the BC Bike Race, a MTB stage race on the coast of BC. Most of the JGR technical staff are into MTB racing, also Kelly Lumgair (KR's old mechanic), and I think Oscar Wirdeman too. Of course O'show and Wardy, both MTB racers and pretty hardcore at that. Probably a whole bunch more guys too.

Road racing has a bit of a risk factor for sure, if I'm paying a guy ton of money to race Moto there's no way I'm letting him ride a cat 5 road race or criterium!! More clavicles are broken in road racing that motocross, based on my years.

This one caught my eye a couple years ago, Canadian MX stalwart Tyler Medaglia putting in a very good ride in the Elite category at the Canadian Cyclocross Nationals in 2016:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/canadian-national-championships-2016/e…
BobPA
2/7/2018 12:47pm
Lucifa. wrote:
I always laugh when I see weekend warriors riding around on their race wheels.
BobPA wrote:
I always laugh when I see roadies
51xc wrote:
come again? Laughing

I said, I always laugh when I see roadies. Pretty cut and dry.

I watch the UFC Embedded that featured Mcgregor riding a road bike....needless to say, it looked like the second time he was ever on a bicycle...
MR. X
2/7/2018 12:49pm

My pops rocked one of these magnesium frames during his triathlon days.

Hammer 663s
2/7/2018 12:56pm
Ya'll are NUTS spending that much on a damn bicycle. Now, you want to talk about my $4500 custom AR-15 build I'm working on and the new Kimber I just got.........

Hammer 663s
51xc
2/7/2018 1:05pm
BobPA wrote:
I said, I always laugh when I see roadies. Pretty cut and dry. I watch the UFC Embedded that featured Mcgregor riding a road bike....needless to...
I said, I always laugh when I see roadies. Pretty cut and dry.

I watch the UFC Embedded that featured Mcgregor riding a road bike....needless to say, it looked like the second time he was ever on a bicycle...
I was joking...couldn't care less. conor used it because his coach has a cycling backround.
his new bike:

little fun fact: the letters on his bike are made out of gold not paint.
ti473
2/7/2018 1:17pm
51xc wrote:
I was joking...couldn't care less. conor used it because his coach has a cycling backround. his new bike: [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/02/07/242553/s1200_26869036_399876870434501_5581466763163336704_n.jpg[/img] little fun fact: the letters on his...
I was joking...couldn't care less. conor used it because his coach has a cycling backround.
his new bike:

little fun fact: the letters on his bike are made out of gold not paint.
shouldn't this be Barcia's bike?
newmann
2/7/2018 2:33pm
MR. X wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/02/07/242549/s1200_DSC_7779.jpg[/img] My pops rocked one of these magnesium frames during his triathlon days.

That's pretty damn trick right there. One piece cast magnesium? How was the feel of that? My neighbor has an old late 70's / early 80's steel Pinarelli (sp?) that he hauls ass on. Funny shit watching him reach down to the front downtube to shift.
newmann
2/7/2018 2:45pm
Ya'll are NUTS spending that much on a damn bicycle. Now, you want to talk about my $4500 custom AR-15 build I'm working on and the...
Ya'll are NUTS spending that much on a damn bicycle. Now, you want to talk about my $4500 custom AR-15 build I'm working on and the new Kimber I just got.........

Hammer 663s
Now we're talking! I spent a little coin on a 4 1/2 pound ti, aluminum and magnesium AR15. Super light weight weenie gun, fits right in with this thread. For a handgun, the alloy framed 4 inch STI Duty One in 9mm is a lightweight dream as well. Love it.

Now, let's see this Kimber...
MR. X
2/7/2018 3:22pm Edited Date/Time 2/7/2018 3:33pm
MR. X wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/02/07/242549/s1200_DSC_7779.jpg[/img] My pops rocked one of these magnesium frames during his triathlon days.

newmann wrote:
That's pretty damn trick right there. One piece cast magnesium? How was the feel of that? My neighbor has an old late 70's / early 80's...
That's pretty damn trick right there. One piece cast magnesium? How was the feel of that? My neighbor has an old late 70's / early 80's steel Pinarelli (sp?) that he hauls ass on. Funny shit watching him reach down to the front downtube to shift.
Cast magnesium . We weren't supposed to ever ride it ,i did take a couple spins on it once in awhile but i was worried i would break something . I remember just the frame was 1100 dollars ,that was in around 1990 . He put his name in a lottery for a chance to buy one ,he had no idea where the money would come from if he did get picked. He got picked and a couple weeks later won a raffle drawing for 5000 dollars and he bought his dream bike.
Dtat720
2/7/2018 4:34pm
Those Zipp 858 wheels are in the $4,500 grand range. Just the damn wheels. Yep, bikes are crazy expensive. I have 3k wrapped in my Cervelo...

ti473 wrote:
yeah but that whale inspired 800mm profile sure does miracles with those strong Florida crosswinds.... Hey listen, I love bikes and cool stuff, but I'll be...
yeah but that whale inspired 800mm profile sure does miracles with those strong Florida crosswinds....

Hey listen, I love bikes and cool stuff, but I'll be the first to admit that hardcore cyclists are suckers when it comes to marketing gimmicks... and I'm not exempt. The cycling industry does a great job at brainwashing its consumers that marginal gains will translate into night and day result improvements. But they have to, otherwise they would never sell shit, and the wheel needs to keep spinning (no pun intended).
boost, internal rims that are 2mm widers, 11 vs 12 sp drivetrains, new bottom bracket standards.... blah blah blah, just another way to sell more.
Yep... the last bike i built before i closed my bike shop was a Fuji D6 tri bike. My cost for the complete build, using all Sram Red and Zip wheels was $7400. The customer paid $16,200. MSRP for the build. Mark up is ridiculous in road bikes and mtn bikes. But people will pay.....

Post a reply to: Like cycling? Check out Barcia's Scott Foil...

The Latest