Like cycling? Check out Barcia's Scott Foil...

ML512
Fantasy
36th
2/6/2018 5:14pm Edited Date/Time 2/7/2018 4:34pm
|
yz133rider
2/6/2018 5:22pm
Never completely understood the high end bicycles... All the light weight and low rolling resistance and all that. Isn't the point to exercise? Why spend so much to make it easier and less work? For bicycle racing i get it but for training and working out?
JWACK
2/6/2018 5:27pm
yz133rider wrote:
Never completely understood the high end bicycles... All the light weight and low rolling resistance and all that. Isn't the point to exercise? Why spend so...
Never completely understood the high end bicycles... All the light weight and low rolling resistance and all that. Isn't the point to exercise? Why spend so much to make it easier and less work? For bicycle racing i get it but for training and working out?
Status quo bro!!
Jrewing
2/6/2018 5:34pm
yz133rider wrote:
Never completely understood the high end bicycles... All the light weight and low rolling resistance and all that. Isn't the point to exercise? Why spend so...
Road cycling is so ridiculous. Grown ageing men in inappropriate attire.
Yz133 often thought that. That's why I don't have 11-12 SPD on the Mtb.
ML512
Fantasy
36th
2/6/2018 5:38pm
yz133rider wrote:
Similar to upgrading your motocross bike just to practice...it's a hobby and it's fun! Gives ya something to geek out over...

The Shop

Brent
2/6/2018 5:57pm
that bike cost more than my truck
ML512
Fantasy
36th
2/6/2018 5:59pm
Brent wrote:
that bike cost more than my truck
Costs more than my van! Laughing
make1go
2/6/2018 6:01pm
yz133rider wrote:
Yes and no, i have a pretty hi spec mtb and ride the same trails i do on my dirtbike, both fun, considerable cross referencing as far as skills go and having comparable equipment is almost a must imo ...but im not into road cycking at all, way to high risk vs reward for me..but i know quite a few that do..here im riding both the same day same trails..

2/6/2018 6:03pm
yz133rider wrote:
Almost nobody rides casually; every club ride I’ve ever been on has been about one thing — speed.

Light weight and aero wheels don’t make you work any less hard; they just make you faster for the same amount of work. Go on a 30-mile ride one day after work on a hot-shit bike and ride at a 20 mph+ average, and your ass will be wiped out.

That said, I do see guys tooling around on hybrids and think, “Fuck, that guy must be working his ass off to go 8 mph. I’d blow by him like Vettel cutting through backmarkers.”
yz133rider
2/6/2018 6:10pm
yz133rider wrote:
Almost nobody rides casually; every club ride I’ve ever been on has been about one thing — speed. Light weight and aero wheels don’t make you...
Almost nobody rides casually; every club ride I’ve ever been on has been about one thing — speed.

Light weight and aero wheels don’t make you work any less hard; they just make you faster for the same amount of work. Go on a 30-mile ride one day after work on a hot-shit bike and ride at a 20 mph+ average, and your ass will be wiped out.

That said, I do see guys tooling around on hybrids and think, “Fuck, that guy must be working his ass off to go 8 mph. I’d blow by him like Vettel cutting through backmarkers.”
You have to cover way more ground id assume to get the same workout as a heavier/inferior type bike.

Im not into so really no room to judge from experiences just what i can see.
Dang It
2/6/2018 6:13pm
yz133rider wrote:
Agree !00%. Riding a super light weight road bike is like going to the gym and bench pressing a blow up barbell or doing push ups on the moon. Little effort required. Cool looking bike if you get it for free but it wont get you as fit and strong as an ordinary run of the mill bike.
2/6/2018 6:17pm Edited Date/Time 2/6/2018 6:18pm
Dang It wrote:
Agree !00%. Riding a super light weight road bike is like going to the gym and bench pressing a blow up barbell or doing push ups...
Agree !00%. Riding a super light weight road bike is like going to the gym and bench pressing a blow up barbell or doing push ups on the moon. Little effort required. Cool looking bike if you get it for free but it wont get you as fit and strong as an ordinary run of the mill bike.
Flat-out incorrect.
WillyB
2/6/2018 6:23pm
You guys are tripping. Take it from me, a fellow roadie, the same amount of effort is applied on a high end light bike. You just go way the fuck faster. And on that note, Justin's bike is sexy as hell. Looks fast sitting still.
tcallahan707
2/6/2018 6:35pm
At the end of the day, it's about the effort put in. If the HR and watts are similar, it doesn't matter what bike you are on. Since Scott wants to sell high end bicycles and are using Barcia as a promotional tool, it makes sense that Barcia has a high end bike. Plus, we are racers. We want the best equipment we can get in order to go as fast as we can.
ML512
Fantasy
36th
2/6/2018 6:44pm
yz133rider wrote:
Dang It wrote:
Agree !00%. Riding a super light weight road bike is like going to the gym and bench pressing a blow up barbell or doing push ups...
I can't facepalm hard enough for this post.
loftyair
2/6/2018 6:46pm
I just want to seem like Superman to my buds. That's why I have a hidden electric motor on my inferior bike, and I still smoke them! Haha, suckers!
ti473
2/6/2018 6:46pm
cro-mo rails??? that thing's a tank, must have sunk all his money in the R8's...
ti473
2/6/2018 6:48pm
yz133rider wrote:
Dang It wrote:
ML512 wrote:
I wish I had 3 hands for this one...
Betuel
2/6/2018 6:50pm
yz133rider wrote:
Dang It wrote:
ML512 wrote:
Haha! Right?
Sweet bike for sure.
ti473
2/6/2018 6:55pm
https://www.road-results.com/racer/124840

cat 5 roadie... looks like him and Hill were having some fun. Couldn't find any cross race results, but it'd be fun to hand him a twinky and heckle him
ML512
Fantasy
36th
2/6/2018 6:56pm
ti473 wrote:
cro-mo rails??? that thing's a tank, must have sunk all his money in the R8's...
I think he has a carbon railed seat coming, the one on it came with the original build.
Lucifa.
2/6/2018 7:00pm
I always laugh when I see weekend warriors riding around on their race wheels.
2/6/2018 7:11pm
Sick of people complaining about motorcycle prices. I tell these complainers "have you priced Bicycles these days?"
ti473
2/6/2018 7:12pm
ti473 wrote:
ML512 wrote:
I think he has a carbon railed seat coming, the one on it came with the original build.
I'm kidding of course, that's a sweet ride, kinda reminds me of a look 795.
All jokes aside, I've always wondered how fast these guys are on bicycles. I follow some of them just for shits and giggles and I'm like... meehh not that impressive for some world class athletes. But of course cycling is not their primary focus and who knows, maybe they just do a lot of recovery stuff on the bike.
2/6/2018 7:19pm
Back in 2010, the HTC Columbia team rode Scotts, and they adopted the Foil (frame designed with help from McLaren) for the 2010 Tour de France, before the bike was available to the public. The Foil design was significant, as it marked a compromise between a traditional carbon frame and a full-on aero frame, such as a Cervelo S-series. At the time I thought HTC Columbia was way cool -- they were essentially a factory team riding what were factory works bikes.

If I bought another racing bike it'd probably be a Specialized, but I always liked the Scott Foil.

CRFracer117
Fantasy
3773rd
2/6/2018 8:19pm
ti473 wrote:
https://www.road-results.com/racer/124840 cat 5 roadie... looks like him and Hill were having some fun. Couldn't find any cross race results, but it'd be fun to hand him...
https://www.road-results.com/racer/124840

cat 5 roadie... looks like him and Hill were having some fun. Couldn't find any cross race results, but it'd be fun to hand him a twinky and heckle him
CAT 5(you mean beginner/expert class), freaking sand bagger!

I never want to hear about sandbagging from any one until they go do either a XC mountain bike race or road bike race, your eyes will be opened!

Nice bike though!
Lucifa.
2/6/2018 8:42pm
Back in 2010, the HTC Columbia team rode Scotts, and they adopted the Foil (frame designed with help from McLaren) for the 2010 Tour de France...
Back in 2010, the HTC Columbia team rode Scotts, and they adopted the Foil (frame designed with help from McLaren) for the 2010 Tour de France, before the bike was available to the public. The Foil design was significant, as it marked a compromise between a traditional carbon frame and a full-on aero frame, such as a Cervelo S-series. At the time I thought HTC Columbia was way cool -- they were essentially a factory team riding what were factory works bikes.

If I bought another racing bike it'd probably be a Specialized, but I always liked the Scott Foil.

The old Cav and Renshaw days. Boy were they a force! I loved their battles with Thor Hushovd and Julian Dean.
ML512
Fantasy
36th
2/6/2018 8:45pm
ti473 wrote:
ML512 wrote:
ti473 wrote:
I'm kidding of course, that's a sweet ride, kinda reminds me of a look 795. All jokes aside, I've always wondered how fast these guys are...
I'm kidding of course, that's a sweet ride, kinda reminds me of a look 795.
All jokes aside, I've always wondered how fast these guys are on bicycles. I follow some of them just for shits and giggles and I'm like... meehh not that impressive for some world class athletes. But of course cycling is not their primary focus and who knows, maybe they just do a lot of recovery stuff on the bike.
Look at off-season rides for a better idea. In season it’s almost strictly recovery. The ride we did on Sunday together was recovery, Justin was slightly bummed cause he wanted to push his new bike
but had to keep things reigned back.
2/6/2018 9:06pm
yz133rider wrote:
You're probably not going to get so excited to put in the miles when you're getting smoked on every ride. Plus I bet Barcia races that thing, when he can get away with it. Wink
BS12
2/6/2018 9:55pm
Lucifa. wrote:
I always laugh when I see weekend warriors riding around on their race wheels.
Do you also laugh at C graders on brand new 18's with some suspension and a pipe?

Big fan of the pedaling industry in general. Must say though I do find it ironic that the more you pay, the less you get so to speak Laughing (talking weight)
hamncheeze
2/6/2018 10:08pm Edited Date/Time 2/7/2018 12:11am
yz133rider wrote:
You are part way correct here. Look out, this is right in my wheelhouse, literally: I quit racing moto at 19, went to university then started bicycle racing. First MTB, then MTB with a bit of road and then full-on roadie for almost 20 years, and I raced for a LONG time at category 1 level. While Justin's bike is a lovely piece of performance equipment, it is that. Designed for competition and speed. Is it a bike that I would want to ride every day? No way. It's like taking Ken Roczen's factory CRF-450 out into the woods to trail ride. Give me a custom frame in steel or titanium any day for general riding and training. Heck, in my final years of competitive racing I was even racing a custom steel frame at times when there was not anything but carbon bikes on the starting line, and the bike never held me back. Yup I'm a retrogrouch.

I get the companies like Scott and Specialized like to sponsor the top level moto guys for exposure but honestly all of the pro moto guys would be much better served riding something out of steel or titanium, with a bit more upright and relaxed geometry. Can still be pimped out with Dura-Ace Di2, Enve wheels/bars/stem/seatpost etc etc. Just on a tool that is right for the job. Those guys are already beat up from the track time, and the gym time. When they are on the road bike a nod towards comfort is something I would definitely recommend. And steel and Ti are just more comfortable to ride due to the inherent shock absorption of the materials. Go look on Instagram at builders like Moots, Firefly, Mosaic, Vanilla, Stinner, Carl Strong, etc etc. Beautiful bikes, handbuilt in the US of A, and tailored to the needs of each individual. And what is funny is that the guys I am friends with that raced in the World Tour (the highest level orf pro cycling), when they retire they all ride custom steel or Ti bikes. They don't have any desire to ride mass-produced carbon bikes. And one more retro-grouch thing: That Foil is nice to look at but like all of the latest integrated aero-specific road frames it is full on PITA to work on. If I owned it I would probably ride SRAM eTap too, just so I didn't have to run Di2 wires through the bars/stem/frame/seatpost.

Post a reply to: Like cycling? Check out Barcia's Scott Foil...

The Latest