LightBug - GPS Tracking Device

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
Edited Date/Time 11/26/2017 3:58am
Hey guys, I came across this device that I think is worth a look. I know that a small device named TrackR was posted a few times on here before but only has a limited range.

This device isn't cheap by any means but looks like it would be worth the investment. It does other stuff as well. You'll also be able to track your run, bike ride, etc.

Take a look. Seems to be one of the best solution available to help in recovering your bike in the event that it gets stolen.

LightBug

Edit: Here's an image to show you the size of the device.

|
Xeno
10/10/2017 2:02pm
Looks good. I like this feature: "Transmits every 15 minutes for up to 8 days without seeing sunlight."

Someone needs to mount one in an airbox and see if it transmits.

Thanks Maverick!
KDXGarage
10/10/2017 3:23pm
When you can't find the price easily, that means IT AIN'T CHEAP.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
10/10/2017 3:41pm
KDXGarage wrote:
When you can't find the price easily, that means IT AIN'T CHEAP.
The product just launched.

It's not cheap. Price and details HERE

Still cheap compared to buying a new bike and putting someone behind bars is an added bonus. Also, it's not just a tracking device. It has other features and some new ones coming soon.

The Shop

scrubbin
10/10/2017 3:42pm Edited Date/Time 10/10/2017 3:45pm
Cost is $183.51 US plus after 1 year you need to buy a service plan with a yearly cost of $66.00.
https://thelightbug.com/buy/index.html#!/select
It does say that you can hide it under a saddle or mudguard but you'll need to charge it every few months or so. Solar panels don't work too well in the dark..
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
10/10/2017 3:51pm Edited Date/Time 10/10/2017 4:25pm
It also says that the subscriptions can be cancelled or paused at any time from the app. This is good for people that can't ride year round because if the weather.

Subscription is cheap.

There's an alert system. If you trigger the alert system you get updates every 60 seconds increasing the odds of recuperating your bike if it gets stolen. Noticed your bike just got stolen trigger the alert system, call the cops and start chasing the thief/thieves.

Don't focus on the price. Take a moment go to the website and see what they offer. In my opinion it's worth it. No contract whatsoever with the company either. You're free to cancel or pause the service when you want.
Xeno
10/10/2017 5:19pm
All the e-start bikes have a battery, so you could connect the tracker to a power source.

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
10/10/2017 5:36pm
9k bike. Device less than 200$ is too expensive lol.

Less than 10$ a month for the app/monitoring.
a22
10/10/2017 5:47pm Edited Date/Time 10/10/2017 5:49pm
Think the problems in the past with these devices/ trackers has been the accuracy and range- says the range for this device 'is within 30m'- presume that means metres?.... As to if that is enough to accurately track/ find something(say in a City)?..., well I'm not sure. I notice they use a picture of a set of keys, 'within 30m' would not be very good whilst looking for a set of keys would it really!?

Sometimes the apps have not worked well very well and battery life/system has often been a big issue, as to if the battery setup may have improved not sure. Before I shelled out cash on something like this would like to see a working real world/ real life demo and not just a bundle of screen shots and pictures of keys and pets!
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
10/10/2017 6:13pm Edited Date/Time 10/10/2017 6:15pm
a22 wrote:
Think the problems in the past with these devices/ trackers has been the accuracy and range- says the range for this device '[b]is within 30m[/b]'- presume...
Think the problems in the past with these devices/ trackers has been the accuracy and range- says the range for this device 'is within 30m'- presume that means metres?.... As to if that is enough to accurately track/ find something(say in a City)?..., well I'm not sure. I notice they use a picture of a set of keys, 'within 30m' would not be very good whilst looking for a set of keys would it really!?

Sometimes the apps have not worked well very well and battery life/system has often been a big issue, as to if the battery setup may have improved not sure. Before I shelled out cash on something like this would like to see a working real world/ real life demo and not just a bundle of screen shots and pictures of keys and pets!
Says right on the site accurate to the metre. I think what they mean is once you're within 30 metres of the device with your phone it pinpoints exactly where it is within a metre. Best bet is to send them an email with your questions.

The following is from the site.

LightBug works anywhere in the world
No need for you, or anyone else to be nearby.
LightBug can be accurate to the metre and it even works indoors. When you get close, use your phone to trigger a sound and know if you're getting hotter or colder*.

Using a super sensitive patch antenna, LightBug locates itself using both GPS & GLONASS satellite constellations.

It then transmits the information over the mobile phone network to our servers.

If you're nearby or in the house, use Bluetooth* to home in on whatever you're trying to find. LightBug can also make a noise to make it easier to locate.

You can see current as well as previous locations straight from our app or website.

The LightBug
GPS Tracking using satellites
Uses GPS & GLONASS for location. Oh and Bluetooth.
GPS & GLONASS are groups of satellites. LightBug uses both constellations to determine its location anywhere in the world. No need for phones, Bluetooth or WiFi networks to be nearby. The LightBug has a high quality GPS patch antenna. This means locking in is faster and you can run under some trees without getting the dreaded "GPS signal lost" notification.

If you do have Bluetooth though, you can know whether you are getting hotter or colder when you're looking for it. LightBug can also use the Bluetooth signal strength to trigger an alert mode when it gets too far away from you

Global coverage
Transmits data over GPRS
LightBug connects to any available mobile phone network to send locations and receive instructions. That means you will always be able to find your LightBug. Well.. unless you happened to leave your handbag in the middle of the Antarctic.

You don’t need to worry about a SIM card and it works globally at no extra cost.
a22
10/10/2017 6:42pm Edited Date/Time 10/10/2017 11:55pm
Not looked over the total site but think from the info what you posted above, it says (third line down 'can be accurate to the metre', rather than 'is accurate to the metre'!
Would think where they say 'accurate within 30m', (in the tech spec) is probably more like what it will perform like in real life situation. Also to be accurate within 1metre the map app would have to be able to also handle that definition also, which I am not sure it would be able to.

If in a working test (or numerous tests) it could accurately track to the metre, time and time again that would be very impressive but not sure of the wording they use 'can' track to the metre, where as I would be more convinced if they had worded 'does track to the metre'... then they also mention 'accurate within 30m'... rather than 'accurate within 1 metre' ... hmmn. By the wording and my interpretation it is accurate to within 30m rather than 1m...

Guess the bread and butter proof would be a real life test to see how well it performs.
tiddlermx23
10/10/2017 6:48pm Edited Date/Time 10/10/2017 6:49pm
Does anyone know of an app that I and my wife can download that shows in real time where I am at if I have my phone on me? My back yard goes pretty far and solo rides can get tricky..
a22
10/10/2017 7:21pm
Does anyone know of an app that I and my wife can download that shows in real time where I am at if I have my...
Does anyone know of an app that I and my wife can download that shows in real time where I am at if I have my phone on me? My back yard goes pretty far and solo rides can get tricky..
Not sure totally... but a good few years back there was some stuff available that did this but again it was not greatly accurate and 'they' charged money to use it... think it was also somewhat controversial as it could be used for more dodgy stuff like stalking people and spying on people stuff!!
To use it they made you sign a disclaimer and asked you to prove you owned the phone you were wanting to track etc... Would think stuff like that nowdays maybe more leglislated and controlled as it may be used for not so nice purposes by crims n' suchlike as well as law abiding bike riders!
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
10/11/2017 4:11am
a22 wrote:
Not looked over the total site but think from the info what you posted above, it says (third line down [b]'[i]can[/i] be accurate to the metre[/b]'...
Not looked over the total site but think from the info what you posted above, it says (third line down 'can be accurate to the metre', rather than 'is accurate to the metre'!
Would think where they say 'accurate within 30m', (in the tech spec) is probably more like what it will perform like in real life situation. Also to be accurate within 1metre the map app would have to be able to also handle that definition also, which I am not sure it would be able to.

If in a working test (or numerous tests) it could accurately track to the metre, time and time again that would be very impressive but not sure of the wording they use 'can' track to the metre, where as I would be more convinced if they had worded 'does track to the metre'... then they also mention 'accurate within 30m'... rather than 'accurate within 1 metre' ... hmmn. By the wording and my interpretation it is accurate to within 30m rather than 1m...

Guess the bread and butter proof would be a real life test to see how well it performs.
I get what you're saying but aren't GPS always accurate? I never used one so I wouldn't know. Some people use them to trace maps/trails so I'm guessing they pretty much have to be on point or people would get lost.

They are also use for surveying as well so again they have to be real accurate.

It does also say that you will always be able to find your LightBug device. That's a pretty bold claim.

Either way I still think it's the best available option on the market today. Unlimited range with real time pinpoint tracking is a great thing to have. Getting updates every single minute when you trigger the alert system gives you a very good chance of finding your stolen property.
mx_phreek
Fantasy
210th
10/11/2017 5:39am
Does anyone know of an app that I and my wife can download that shows in real time where I am at if I have my...
Look at Life 360, that might do you.
bobojim
10/11/2017 5:47am
"Find iphone" - already installed if you have an iphone. Just needs to be set up. Although maybe you need phone reception for it to work.
Bultaco
10/11/2017 6:03am
The apps were written for Sailplane pilots, but IGCdroid (android) and GLidepath (IOS) do exactly what you are asking. I use IGCdroid and it can be configured for sending an email on take off, every 30 minutes still flying and upon landing with a location. You can see your track later. Pretty cool.

Since dirt bikes stop/start alot more than a glider in flight, you might configure it different or end up with a million emails. I use it flying and it works great.
r.sal923
10/11/2017 6:15am
-MAVERICK- wrote:

I pay more than 180 a year for theft on my bike. This sounds like a bargain .
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
10/11/2017 6:30am Edited Date/Time 10/11/2017 6:33am
-MAVERICK- wrote:

r.sal923 wrote:
I pay more than 180 a year for theft on my bike. This sounds like a bargain .
Well if you pay more than that a year but it's for insurance at least you have the peace of mind that if it gets stolen it'll be replace.

This is just a GPS tracking device so it doesn't necessarily mean you'll find your bike if it gets stolen. Thieves are assholes and if they locate it quick enough they'll just break it off or toss it away. Obviously they won't be looking for anything like that in the process of stealing it but once they get to their destination maybe. Either way in my opinion it still gives you a really good chance at finding your bike if it gets stolen.

There's a couple places you could install it that wouldn't be obvious right off the bat like the airbox, in the bar pad if you have fat bars or possibly under the tank or behind one of the radiator shrouds. Maybe even in the seat if you have one of those velcro seat covers.
10/11/2017 8:49am
a22
10/11/2017 12:23pm Edited Date/Time 10/11/2017 12:37pm
a22 wrote:
Not looked over the total site but think from the info what you posted above, it says (third line down [b]'[i]can[/i] be accurate to the metre[/b]'...

-MAVERICK- wrote:
I get what you're saying but aren't GPS always accurate? I never used one so I wouldn't know. Some people use them to trace maps/trails so...
I get what you're saying but aren't GPS always accurate? I never used one so I wouldn't know. Some people use them to trace maps/trails so I'm guessing they pretty much have to be on point or people would get lost.

It does also say that you will always be able to find your LightBug device. That's a pretty bold claim.

Either way I still think it's the best available option on the market today. Unlimited range with real time pinpoint tracking is a great thing to have. Getting updates every single minute when you trigger the alert system gives you a very good chance of finding your stolen property.
Good questions Mav...
me too never used one but have done a fair bit of research and also I was a software programmer a while ago and also was quite into the hardware side also. I had alot of interest in this area and was very interested in this subject and possibly wanted to even try some experiments myself using hardware and software...
However, from what I saw, back then- much of it was not so good ...BUT time has moved on from then somewhat maybe.... and hopefully the performance? But still not so sure...

Your question, "Aren't GPS trackers always accurate", I think it is accurate to within 'certain distances;, which is the issue and also if the thing damn thing consistently works! 'IF' it can track consistently to within 1 metre then that is truly superb ... BUT.. if it tracks to within 30m then I am not so sure...

By many accounts past efforts on some of these systems did not work that well. The TrackR system you mentioned in your opening thread post had some pretty terrible reviews. Check this out, reviews are at bottom of link... not good at all, dreadful in fact!l :-
REVIEWS TrackR

As to if the Lightbug system is good I do not know, that is why I would like to see a demo in a real life situation.
I think that is the concrete test for any system. I did not like the wording too much and found it somewhat ambiguous, as already mentioned.
Also on their facebook page, seemed it had not had any updates or info for a longtime, or at least the links I looked at. Something about the presentation and info of what I looked up just isn't really doing it for me and did not like the ambiguous wording....
However, as said, give me a few real life/ real world tests and I maybe more convinced, that would be the proof for me!
a22
10/11/2017 12:31pm
Again what is the accuracy? If the poor Guy goes out in his woods/ back paths and has an accident (God forbid) then will the accuracy be enough to find him, lying there in the dark?
I'm all for these apps/ tech and hopefully the benefits from them but for that to happen they have to be 'reasonably accurate' and also reliably work.
Any 'real world tests' would do it for me more than just info that apps 'exist'.

Any working reports from anyone who has used them and how they perform?
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
10/11/2017 12:37pm Edited Date/Time 10/11/2017 12:38pm
a22 wrote:

-MAVERICK- wrote:
I get what you're saying but aren't GPS always accurate? I never used one so I wouldn't know. Some people use them to trace maps/trails so...

a22 wrote:
Good questions Mav... me too never used one but have done a fair bit of research and also I was a software programmer a while ago...
Good questions Mav...
me too never used one but have done a fair bit of research and also I was a software programmer a while ago and also was quite into the hardware side also. I had alot of interest in this area and was very interested in this subject and possibly wanted to even try some experiments myself using hardware and software...
However, from what I saw, back then- much of it was not so good ...BUT time has moved on from then somewhat maybe.... and hopefully the performance? But still not so sure...

Your question, "Aren't GPS trackers always accurate", I think it is accurate to within 'certain distances;, which is the issue and also if the thing damn thing consistently works! 'IF' it can track consistently to within 1 metre then that is truly superb ... BUT.. if it tracks to within 30m then I am not so sure...

By many accounts past efforts on some of these systems did not work that well. The TrackR system you mentioned in your opening thread post had some pretty terrible reviews. Check this out, reviews are at bottom of link... not good at all, dreadful in fact!l :-
REVIEWS TrackR

As to if the Lightbug system is good I do not know, that is why I would like to see a demo in a real life situation.
I think that is the concrete test for any system. I did not like the wording too much and found it somewhat ambiguous, as already mentioned.
Also on their facebook page, seemed it had not had any updates or info for a longtime, or at least the links I looked at. Something about the presentation and info of what I looked up just isn't really doing it for me and did not like the ambiguous wording....
However, as said, give me a few real life/ real world tests and I maybe more convinced, that would be the proof for me!
I sent them an email about the subject but haven't received an answer yet. There's a 5 hour time difference between them and I so that could be the reason.

There's no video on the website and the only one I was able to find was for when they did a Kickstarter campaign. In that video it showed accurate to 50cm. At that range if you can't find it you have to be blind. That's just over a foot.

The reason I'm thinking GPS have to be very accurate is the fact that land surveyors use them all the time to map things out. In the land of litigation it's important to know that you're on your property. Take for example you build a house and you later find out half of it is in the path for a road extension when the town/city wants to extend it say 10 years later. You'd be SOL if the GPS coordinates weren't accurate. Things could get very costly. I believe they use GPS to avoid things like.

Whenever they get back to me I'll post what they had to say.
KDXGarage
10/11/2017 12:39pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:

News flash:

Not everyone on Vital has a 9k bike.

$189 for 1st year
$255 total for second year
$321 total for third year
$387 total for fourth year
$453 total for fifth year

For someone with insurance that is not too high, I am not seeing the big benefit.

I doubt it will last five years and if the company dies or quits supporting it, there goes your obsolete plastic and metal rock.

Go on out there, early adopter, get the price down for us common folk.
peelout
10/11/2017 12:49pm
same tech the feds used to find Meg at the Bunny Ranch after she disappeared for 11 weeks
a22
10/11/2017 12:51pm Edited Date/Time 10/11/2017 1:00pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
I sent them an email about the subject but haven't received an answer yet. There's a 5 hour time difference between them and I so that...
I sent them an email about the subject but haven't received an answer yet. There's a 5 hour time difference between them and I so that could be the reason.

There's no video on the website and the only one I was able to find was for when they did a Kickstarter campaign. In that video it showed accurate to 50cm. At that range if you can't find it you have to be blind. That's just over a foot.

The reason I'm thinking GPS have to be very accurate is the fact that land surveyors use them all the time to map things out. In the land of litigation it's important to know that you're on your property. Take for example you build a house and you later find out half of it is in the path for a road extension when the town/city wants to extend it say 10 years later. You'd be SOL if the GPS coordinates weren't accurate. Things could get very costly. I believe they use GPS to avoid things like.

Whenever they get back to me I'll post what they had to say.
Good stuff Mav- yes me too saw the claim that the accuracy can be a close as 50cm! ... However, think that maybe the hardware boards performance and to mirror that the software would have to replicate/ handshake/ interface with that performance and accuracy... Hardware board may do that but does the software/ app?

This is possibly the link we are speaking of and yes, it does seem to offer more info : - MORE DETAIL?

Any real life tests from anyone who has bought and tried it?

For sure it is an interesting subject and would be superb if something exists that could stop/ catch theiving scum from taking our treasured bikes and suchlike!
10/11/2017 12:59pm
a22 wrote:
Again what is the accuracy? If the poor Guy goes out in his woods/ back paths and has an accident (God forbid) then will the accuracy...
Again what is the accuracy? If the poor Guy goes out in his woods/ back paths and has an accident (God forbid) then will the accuracy be enough to find him, lying there in the dark?
I'm all for these apps/ tech and hopefully the benefits from them but for that to happen they have to be 'reasonably accurate' and also reliably work.
Any 'real world tests' would do it for me more than just info that apps 'exist'.

Any working reports from anyone who has used them and how they perform?
I really can't definitively quantify it but I would say accurate enough for this purpose. Now finding a bike in a city full of rowhomes, probably not. Here's an example...1st pic I'm logged onto my google account and google maps is showing where my phone is. No more than 15' from my desk. 2nd pic is my roommate at his office. It does lag a little and can bounce around a bit. Sometimes it shows him 1500' away in the woods and I have to hit refresh a few times.

FYI, we experimented after he got lost trying to find our Airbnb after day 1 at Oktoberfest Silly

a22
10/11/2017 1:05pm Edited Date/Time 10/11/2017 1:06pm
^^ Doesn't look too bad!
I guess even if its not totally accurate then at least it maybe within the vicinity and one could shout out or something...

I wonder though if this system handshakes with Google road maps or something, where as if the guy who posted the question is out in the middle of nowhere/ woods it would still track?

lightbug
11/24/2017 5:02am
Hey guys,

Just came across this thread and thought I'd jump in (if a little late)

Regarding accuracy: the wording is deliberately ambiguous because I don't want to make promises the product can't keep all of the time.

Accuracy comes at the price of battery life. I think we've solved this problem rather elegantly (obviously I would..) in that Lightbug doesn't spend very long searching for GPS when it's in it's sleep mode. This is where you might see accuracy of 30m (usually more like 10m though)

Now, when alert mode is triggered (ie you're bike is moving outside of the safe zone and you're no where near it), the GPS is given much more time to lock in, and 1m accuracy is quite realistic when outdoors. Running tests in my car, most of the time it puts the point bang on the road and on motorways it'll often get the lane right too. As soon as you go indoors though ,the signal gets scrambled and it's harder to get a lock (say the thieves take it into a warehouse), so accuracy might drop back to 30m. This obviously isn't ideal but the point is that it still works. Initial feedback we've gotten is that it performs better than anything else out there at the moment (most GPS trackers simply stop working indoors).

As to the comments on price, all I can say is that we've based the price on cost. The devices are manufactured in the UK which helps with quality but certainly not price. My hope was that pricing the subscription lower (where other companies make their money) would help.

-MAVERICK- would you be interested in getting a demo unit?
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
11/24/2017 7:21am
lightbug wrote:
Hey guys, Just came across this thread and thought I'd jump in (if a little late) Regarding accuracy: the wording is deliberately ambiguous because I don't...
Hey guys,

Just came across this thread and thought I'd jump in (if a little late)

Regarding accuracy: the wording is deliberately ambiguous because I don't want to make promises the product can't keep all of the time.

Accuracy comes at the price of battery life. I think we've solved this problem rather elegantly (obviously I would..) in that Lightbug doesn't spend very long searching for GPS when it's in it's sleep mode. This is where you might see accuracy of 30m (usually more like 10m though)

Now, when alert mode is triggered (ie you're bike is moving outside of the safe zone and you're no where near it), the GPS is given much more time to lock in, and 1m accuracy is quite realistic when outdoors. Running tests in my car, most of the time it puts the point bang on the road and on motorways it'll often get the lane right too. As soon as you go indoors though ,the signal gets scrambled and it's harder to get a lock (say the thieves take it into a warehouse), so accuracy might drop back to 30m. This obviously isn't ideal but the point is that it still works. Initial feedback we've gotten is that it performs better than anything else out there at the moment (most GPS trackers simply stop working indoors).

As to the comments on price, all I can say is that we've based the price on cost. The devices are manufactured in the UK which helps with quality but certainly not price. My hope was that pricing the subscription lower (where other companies make their money) would help.

-MAVERICK- would you be interested in getting a demo unit?
Well first off thank you for signing up and clarifying things. I sent you guys an email not long after I made the original post but never heard anything back but this helped.

As for the demo unit, thank you for the offer but it might be better to pass it onto another reputable/regular Vital MX poster as I sadly no longer ride due to paralysis.

I do agree that this device is the best option available at this point in time.

On second thought you might want to contact the poster ML512 (Michael Lindsay) who works for Vital MX and see if maybe they would be interested in doing a review on your product?

Post a reply to: LightBug - GPS Tracking Device

The Latest