Life After Moto

fats000
11/8/2014 6:45pm
skateboarding,snowboarding,surfing,eating burger n drinking beer,ps 2-3-4 mx games n geting drunk,xcskiing.good luck.im gonna ride until i die,if you can walk you can ride mx for fun.just ride slow n enjoy..only dork retired when they are like 28 yearsold n wife starts nagging sell your bike n buy some high heel shoes for her instead:thats totally bs,do your thing n ,ftheothers,no matter what they say.thats my opinion.
bigborefan
11/8/2014 9:56pm
This guys onto something. Try some Dual Sport events.

Never tired it, but I bet racing go-karts is fun.

Snowmobiles also.

But I just don't think you can replicate the feeling of moto.

Off Road GNCC type stuff comes close, but you can still get hurt doing that.
Suns_PSD
12/31/2014 12:48am
Mountain biking gives me the same rush for sure.

The Shop

The Rock
12/31/2014 8:03am
Karting is a blast. Mountain biking is a rush but not a fan of being so close to trees.
Dragoo168
12/31/2014 9:27am
What hobbies are there other than Motocross? Unfortunately, I have to leave the sport much earlier than I ever intended. Im just wondering what other things...
What hobbies are there other than Motocross? Unfortunately, I have to leave the sport much earlier than I ever intended. Im just wondering what other things interest you guys because i need to find something like moto or I will go crazy!
There are NO hobbies like Motocross,...only vaguely similar! You never said why you have to quit, so to suggest anything would rely on your situation, be it financial, physical, or mental, Hah! Here's my two-cents,...I quit racing the year after winning a state championship (30+ Expert), because i was diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease and Von Hippel-Lindau syndrome, and the Nephrologist told me that if i didn't, it would rapidly increase the deterioration of my kidneys, likely to lead to renal failure, and without transplant,...Death. I'm a single father of two kids,..I did what I was told, and sold my bike,...the bike i had built with everything possible (including works suspension), that I had always dreamed of having,...The totally trick bike that i would be happy to have as my last ride....That was 10 yrs ago....I have always had jet skiis, mountain biked, snow ski'd (which screws with the screws and plate in my tibial plataue!), and done as much as i could as any adrenaline junky would, but nothing replaced Motocross,...Last year, a new Doc tells me that I should have gotten a second opinion on the Moto advice, and that any progression of my condition would be inherent regardless of my life choices, sans sustaining injuries from crashing. The Doc says that I have leveled just below 30% kidney function, but that I am now 40lbs overweight, and am missing the quality of life that Moto had provided me. Now, don't get me wrong, i have a quality of life with my kids, etc, and wouldn't trade my life (even though i financially started over at 45! ), But i assure you that nothing has or will ever replace what Motocross is and has always been to me. I know that may be different for everybody, but I'm just tossing a glimpse of another man's perspective,...Whatever you choose to do, i of course would wish you the best! Btw, I am saving for another bike,..it's going to take me a long time, but i will get there,...maybe I'll have one in time to race the 50+ class, that's only a little over 3 yrs away, LOL! My advice is do not sell your bike! If "Have" to quit, convert it to a trail bike, and enjoy yourself that way, but riding is something that is unique to what it is,..Sure there's other hobbies out there, and they all have their high-points, but there is only one, true Motocross.
FOSSILMOTO
12/31/2014 9:34am
57 yrs old... 2005 last race. Ended up seeming to be more work than fun. MTB riding ,Ice Hockey, online sim racing gets my heart pumping good nowdays.
Skerby
12/31/2014 9:56am
I like to ride 50s around county parks at night with a head lamp. Helps if you kill a few beers first. The rush is unreal, it's like a spiritual experience.
12/31/2014 10:01am
Sully22 wrote:
There's street bikes...crotch rocket or HOG, both fun in their own unique way.
It fills the void for a year or two. It's short lived.

I haven't found anything remotely similar except stand up jet skis. . . And my fiancé loves to ride yamaha superjets as much as I do. She doesn't really like to ride a 125.

Buy a stand up. But I would suggest still wearing. Helmet.
bad juju
12/31/2014 10:51am
brocster wrote:
vintage moto?
coming back myself. nothing will replace moto for me nothing. vintage is where i will start. looks to be more layed back and tracks are less demanding. you dont have something you "have to do" to get a good finish. when the risk of injury out weighs evereything you can practice an art eg; kenpo, bjj, kung fu, ect. as a rider/ racer for most of my life 46 yrs old we are all against father time. eventually you will be aged out for it, and you will never be as fast and solid as you were in your younger days. so i practice kung fu. do you ever see any 16 or 18 year old masters? what about a 17 year old kid with some skill and a set of lungs?. with kung fu i grow, not degrade and am not against the clock as i am with moto. when it really is over for me i will have an easier time adjusting. it's that good. as a fighter i will hang on to moto for all i can. you have to find yourself and that is no easy thing. good luck.
reded
12/31/2014 10:37pm
brocster wrote:
vintage moto?
bad juju wrote:
coming back myself. nothing will replace moto for me nothing. vintage is where i will start. looks to be more layed back and tracks are less...
coming back myself. nothing will replace moto for me nothing. vintage is where i will start. looks to be more layed back and tracks are less demanding. you dont have something you "have to do" to get a good finish. when the risk of injury out weighs evereything you can practice an art eg; kenpo, bjj, kung fu, ect. as a rider/ racer for most of my life 46 yrs old we are all against father time. eventually you will be aged out for it, and you will never be as fast and solid as you were in your younger days. so i practice kung fu. do you ever see any 16 or 18 year old masters? what about a 17 year old kid with some skill and a set of lungs?. with kung fu i grow, not degrade and am not against the clock as i am with moto. when it really is over for me i will have an easier time adjusting. it's that good. as a fighter i will hang on to moto for all i can. you have to find yourself and that is no easy thing. good luck.
Very profound post.
12/31/2014 10:58pm
The only thing that fills the Moto void is the Whistler bike park. Yes MTB is fun, we have great trails in SoCal but there's nothing like Whistler.
SLO1667
1/1/2015 1:02am
There's life after moto?
bultokid
1/1/2015 9:31am
Been into vintage mx for 20yrs now..great laid back people...the thrill of going into that first turn never gets old...we just get there slower :-)

Shifter karts were a real rush as well but made mx look cheap
Have a Beta trials bike with the long ride kit...modern day Bultaco Alpina...lots of fun. Being a baseball freak have enjoyed throwing BP to the kids for years but nothing left in the arm anymore.

If your physically able give vintage mx a shot, its a blast and won't break the bank

Post a reply to: Life After Moto

The Latest