Life After Moto

Edited Date/Time 1/1/2015 9:31am
What hobbies are there other than Motocross? Unfortunately, I have to leave the sport much earlier than I ever intended. Im just wondering what other things interest you guys because i need to find something like moto or I will go crazy!
|
Skippie
11/6/2014 4:19pm
Mountain biking. Just as much of a rush and (sometimes) less expensive.
Detroit Dick
11/6/2014 4:22pm
If you're able, Mountain Biking is great. You can get lots of the thrills and a whole lotta cardio. It's a lot cheaper, and like moto, the people who doit are mostly good folks.
Torco1
11/6/2014 4:25pm
Is it an injury that is making you quit?

The Shop

yak651
Fantasy
214th
11/6/2014 4:27pm
moto photography, mentor a younger kid getting into mx
Olson
11/6/2014 4:28pm
Mountain biking, cycling and golf. And the best hobby of them all (after moto) TRAVEL!
Forza
11/6/2014 4:30pm
Drinking beer seems to be working.
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
11/6/2014 4:35pm
Mountain Biking for sure, it helps when you're missing moto.
Muay Thai, cause punching and kicking people can be fun Laughing
Cadpro18
11/6/2014 4:35pm
15 yrs ago I got out of MX and needed something to provide the rush. I went to dirt Late Models and then sprint cars... either will fit the bill.
OldnBroken
11/6/2014 4:39pm
I'm going through the same thing after having to give up riding. It's a big hole to fill. I've taken up road cycling, mountain biking, RC cars, playing guitar, actually doing something the wife wants to do lol. I'm interested after looking at all these 2 stroke builds to do one as well, but I don't know if I want to put the money into it, if I can't ride it.
11/6/2014 5:02pm
Cadpro18 wrote:
15 yrs ago I got out of MX and needed something to provide the rush. I went to dirt Late Models and then sprint cars... either...
15 yrs ago I got out of MX and needed something to provide the rush. I went to dirt Late Models and then sprint cars... either will fit the bill.
^^^^^^^^^^This. The rush is there for sure. Having all that metal around you and a five point seat belt helps too.
JeepnMike
11/6/2014 5:08pm
OldnBroken wrote:
I'm going through the same thing after having to give up riding. It's a big hole to fill. I've taken up road cycling, mountain biking, RC...
I'm going through the same thing after having to give up riding. It's a big hole to fill. I've taken up road cycling, mountain biking, RC cars, playing guitar, actually doing something the wife wants to do lol. I'm interested after looking at all these 2 stroke builds to do one as well, but I don't know if I want to put the money into it, if I can't ride it.
X2 on racing RC cars... It is the best way to get the same rush without hurting yourself. Racing RC cars is really freaking technical.. The cool thing is, they behave the same way jumping as bikes do.. You can control the angle up and down with the throttle and brakes, leaning by turning, etc. There is a lot of washed up racers at RC tracks. The cars are very tunable too, something to look into. A great place to look for info: rctech.net

slipdog
11/6/2014 5:09pm
I plan to live vicariously through my kids.
moco
11/6/2014 5:12pm
I left for a while and went full time Wakeboarding. I got back into moto for the spring and fall when boat weather sucks. Chicks and wives love being on a boat rather than sucking up dirt. If injuries are holding you back you can surf behind the boat. You can pretty much be 90% crippled and still wake surf
Sully22
11/6/2014 5:21pm Edited Date/Time 11/6/2014 5:23pm
Like others have said, mountain biking, and I also love love love road biking. Just got into road biking and You can't keep me off the bike....well, except for a crash (not my fault) and a small slight fracture in my hip, but that didn't keep me away too long.
reded
11/6/2014 5:22pm
These guys can bullshit you all they want but you'll never replace the feel of railing a corner just right or kickin out a sweet whip off of the perfect jump. I've spent 10yrs trying and have decided to hell with it. I'm buying a new bike this winter and going to the track next year.
11/6/2014 5:24pm
MTB gets my vote too. But also hiking. Hiking is practically free, and while not as exciting as MX or MTB, it's safe and good exercise. Just watch out for the long haired bearded types you might meet. And I don't mean the dudes!
11/6/2014 5:26pm
RC cars. Find a good indoor track near you and learn setup and how to drive. It's fun, but it will quite fill that hole. Sorry you have to park it.
Sully22
11/6/2014 5:26pm Edited Date/Time 11/6/2014 5:27pm
There's street bikes...crotch rocket or HOG, both fun in their own unique way.
Xracerdone
11/6/2014 5:30pm
Olson wrote:
Mountain biking, cycling and golf. And the best hobby of them all (after moto) TRAVEL!
Second that, I've always liked mountain biking but I am a golf addict now! Play all the time. Play nine & shoot a 44-46 one weekend shoot a 58 the next, such an emotional roller coaster. Play with a used ball all day long, take a nice new 3 dollar ball out, loose it first swing. I can drink a lot more golfing than I could while riding too.
gt80rider
11/6/2014 5:36pm
reded wrote:
These guys can bullshit you all they want but you'll never replace the feel of railing a corner just right or kickin out a sweet whip...
These guys can bullshit you all they want but you'll never replace the feel of railing a corner just right or kickin out a sweet whip off of the perfect jump. I've spent 10yrs trying and have decided to hell with it. I'm buying a new bike this winter and going to the track next year.
This is the truth.... There is no replacement... If u can't race, get a pit bike, a street bike, or any other kind of bike that u can ride...
Sully22
11/6/2014 5:39pm Edited Date/Time 11/6/2014 5:41pm
Olson wrote:
Xracerdone wrote:
Second that, I've always liked mountain biking but I am a golf addict now! Play all the time. Play nine & shoot a 44-46 one weekend...
Second that, I've always liked mountain biking but I am a golf addict now! Play all the time. Play nine & shoot a 44-46 one weekend shoot a 58 the next, such an emotional roller coaster. Play with a used ball all day long, take a nice new 3 dollar ball out, loose it first swing. I can drink a lot more golfing than I could while riding too.
3rd this ^^^^^ I forgot golf....don't know how in the hell I forgot golf. Nothing like hitting a drive 275-300 down the middle of the fairway, hitting a sandwedge a foot from the cup from about 100 out, draining a long ass putt, making a birdie, soaking up sunshine with your buddies, driving the cart....like your riding moto of course Tongue
jeffro503
11/6/2014 5:47pm Edited Date/Time 11/6/2014 5:48pm
OldnBroken wrote:
I'm going through the same thing after having to give up riding. It's a big hole to fill. I've taken up road cycling, mountain biking, RC...
JeepnMike wrote:
X2 on racing RC cars... It is the best way to get the same rush without hurting yourself. Racing RC cars is really freaking technical.. The...
X2 on racing RC cars... It is the best way to get the same rush without hurting yourself. Racing RC cars is really freaking technical.. The cool thing is, they behave the same way jumping as bikes do.. You can control the angle up and down with the throttle and brakes, leaning by turning, etc. There is a lot of washed up racers at RC tracks. The cars are very tunable too, something to look into. A great place to look for info: rctech.net

I've done years of racing RC's and they are fun for sure. BUT.....they tend to be " just fun "....no real consequence if you screw up. I found that flying giant scale RC aerobatic birds....put my stomach into my throat. It is to this day the ONLY hobby I have ever done that can scare the crap out of me. A lot like what MX can do at times.

You get nervous piling your $2000.00 aircraft into the ground. Fear you may hit someone ( including yourself ) and the fear of losing out on all those countless hours of building......knowing that you are going to have to start out from scratch ( actually you buy an ARF....still gotta slap it together ).

I didn't believe it or even understood it until I tried it. It can give you an incredible rush when flying. Especially when you start getting into the hardcore 3D type flying. Doing harrier rolls right off the deck.....that'll make you pay attention.
KTMsc
11/6/2014 5:59pm
While nothing is as good as moto, I bought a Maverick for off road, and ride the Jet Ski in the summer.
Tonynz
11/6/2014 6:30pm
if you still want motor cycle riding, give Trials ago it is great fun.
7eleven
11/6/2014 7:10pm

Sorry to hear you have to walk away, i'm doing the same so i can have hang onto what's left of my body after 25 years of moto.
My ZRX and mountain bike have filled my void so well.

Post a reply to: Life After Moto

The Latest