Lettter from Ian Trettel

akmx17
Edited Date/Time 1/25/2012 9:16pm
Via Racer X-

Dear sponsors, friends, and all of my fans;

Since my injury, I've been looking forward to the day that I could personally reach out and thank everyone for all of the love and support that you have shown me and my family through these tough times. I'm so blessed and moved by the constant caring that has been sent my way from each and everyone of you. So first and foremost - THANKS!

On March 5th, I suffered a Traumatic Brain Injury during my practice session at the Daytona Supercross. The injury required me to be in a medical coma for almost 4 weeks and I am now in my 7th week of rehab at The Shepard Center in Atlanta. The injury has left me with several physical and cognitive deficits that with dedication and focus can be managed allowing me to live a full and prosperous life. I will continue my rehab through The Shepard Center / Pathways for a another 4-5 weeks before I can return home. I'm excited for that time to come and to also see many of you again but for now I need to continue to focus on my rehab so that I can maximize my recovery.

Even though that through hard work and dedication my long term prognosis is excellent, I along with my family and my Doctors have been forced to make the decision to discontinue my motocross career. Even if I were to make a full physical, and cognitive recovery, my brain injuries are severe enough that the risks associated with another head injury would by life threatening. That's just not a risk that I'm willing to take seeing that I have my entire life in front of me and I'm not willing to put my family, friends, and myself through anything like this again. Moto-cross has been the only life I have ever known but I am now ready to move on and live for the other things that I enjoy. I will use my accomplishments to pave a new path for me hopefully in some way helping fellow TBI patients. Life looks different to me now and I plan to make the best of what I have.

I really want to say a special thanks and appreciation to all of my many sponsors that have stood by my side helping me to make my motocross career what it was. I'm hoping that in some way I can continue to stay involved with all of you as I move my focus to other interests. I'm confident that whatever I decide to do, that with your help, I'll be able to continue to achieve great things.

Thanks again to everyone for your support and prayers. It truly helped me and my family get through this and I look forward to seeing and talking to you very soon.

Sincerely yours,
- Ian
|
jtomasik
5/18/2011 11:45am
Props and best wishes to Ian. Things like this not only inspire but also illustrate what whiners we can be (not Ian...I'm talking the rest of us who have it good but bitch about it...myself included).
Hanaa80
5/18/2011 11:45am
Good to hear he's getting better!
muGz.147
Fantasy
1792nd
5/18/2011 11:47am
Heavy duty!! Best of luck in everything you set out to do Ian!!
DL
5/18/2011 11:57am
Great to hear from you and the best of luck with the rest of the rehab and your new direction in life. You'll be successful with whatever you do!

The Shop

500guy
5/18/2011 11:59am
Great to hear from Ian and best of luck on a continued and best possible recovery.
newmann
5/18/2011 12:06pm
Sounds like things are looking up! Good to hear. IT77 decals were being sported on the Jimmy Button Miles for Miracles bikes recently.

Skinnly
5/18/2011 12:48pm
kids been through alot. So much potential. Get back soon.
mattmatt300
5/18/2011 12:54pm
good to hear hes getting better and should have a strong recovery. seems like the right decision and i hope he does well in whatever he choses to do in the future.
Kryan5
5/18/2011 12:56pm
Bitter sweet news! Glad he's is doing good, but horrible way to end his mx career. Best of luck to you if you ever read this crap.
5/18/2011 1:43pm
Thats really good to hear, hes slowly recovering, after such a nasty injury,

Good luck to Ian , now and in the future.
rocrac
5/18/2011 2:15pm
Best wishes Ian. We have enjoyed watching you race since the 50cc class and the determination you have showed over the years will no doubt help you through this. Good luck
mccread
5/18/2011 2:18pm
Good to hear that. Hopefully he can make a full recovery, it just highlights the risk those guys take and it is a shame Ian never got to realise his full potential in the pro ranks before his injury. All the best to Ian in his recovery and whatever he chooses to do next.
ninety3
5/18/2011 7:08pm
H.O.F.

So good to hear things are improving, and moving forward for I.T. 77
5/18/2011 7:19pm
All the best, Ian! It's great to hear that you will make a full recovery. Best of luck in the next phase of life.
MX45
5/18/2011 7:45pm
Awesome! Great to hear from you, Ian.
I was in the pits at Daytona when you were heading out for practice. I gave you a thumbs up and you gave a little nod back and I took your picture as you rode by. I wanted to meet you that day, as I've never had the opportunity and I've been a fan for since seeing you ride one year at Gatorback.
So thanks for that nod as you rode out for practice. Maybe our paths will cross another time.

Best of luck and most of all keep working hard. Sheppard's is the place to be and you're dedicated. Motocrossers overcome.
Fantasy
4452nd
5/18/2011 7:58pm
Good to hear some positive news. Best of luck Ian!
jeffro503
5/18/2011 8:13pm
Good luck Ian......no matter what you plan on doing , you'll always be a class act.
level
5/18/2011 8:57pm
This effin sport. Man, I hate hearing someone going through something like that. On the positive side I am so glad he is getting better.

That was very nice of him to write everybody a letter and what a positive outlook. Sounds like a wonderful dude.
DrSweden
5/18/2011 9:04pm
Awsome news! So nice to read his words knowing there was a risk he would newer recover, even die. Anyway, sux that he can fulfill his racing career goals, but who knows, not racing could be beneficial in so many others areas.

Good luck kid!
stash124
5/18/2011 9:05pm
Great to hear that Ian is doing better and on the right track for a normal and healthy life. It's unfortunate that he never got to show his true potential in this sport, but its the nature of the beast unfortunately. All the best and keep pushing Ian!
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
5/18/2011 10:50pm
Thats a shame really, he had a shelf full of potential but he never got a single bit of luck once he moved off 85s. I hope he was smart and got some good insurance so he can take care of himself.
5/18/2011 11:33pm
Great news.

A young up-and-coming Aussie rider called Luke George had a similar accident in 2009. Luke eventually made a full recovery; however, he too had to abandon a promising mx career: http://www.motoonline.com.au/2010/10/25/oz-mx-luke-george-announces-ret…

I think I would be good if Luke and Ian got in touch and shared their experiences. If nothing else; Luke's story might further inspire Ian to keep fighting. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Perhaps any Aussies on this board who know Luke's contact details can let him know about Ian. Vica versa for you Yanks.
ocscottie
5/18/2011 11:38pm
Antipodean wrote:
Great news. A young up-and-coming Aussie rider called Luke George had a similar accident in 2009. Luke eventually made a full recovery; however, he too had...
Great news.

A young up-and-coming Aussie rider called Luke George had a similar accident in 2009. Luke eventually made a full recovery; however, he too had to abandon a promising mx career: http://www.motoonline.com.au/2010/10/25/oz-mx-luke-george-announces-ret…

I think I would be good if Luke and Ian got in touch and shared their experiences. If nothing else; Luke's story might further inspire Ian to keep fighting. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Perhaps any Aussies on this board who know Luke's contact details can let him know about Ian. Vica versa for you Yanks.
Man...that would be really really cool.
kingy77
5/18/2011 11:46pm
Antipodean wrote:
Great news. A young up-and-coming Aussie rider called Luke George had a similar accident in 2009. Luke eventually made a full recovery; however, he too had...
Great news.

Good news about Ian kid had true potential.
It is never nice to hear about these sorts of things but at least he is on the road to recovery, may not be on a bike anymore but at least he still has his life and legs.

Does anybody have an update on Harley Quinlan? He was injured last year practicing for SuperX in Australia.
Crush
5/18/2011 11:57pm
Man, I was pumped to read that letter, glad to hear he is better and the outlook is bright... sux about retiring but smart move for sure!

Good luck to him and family!
5/19/2011 1:06am
As a sportsperson its always good to hear an athletes recovery is in full motion - the obvious and safe decision and I hope he gets a career path in the sport he loves doing something other than racing!!!

good luck man
JB 19
5/19/2011 1:16am
Smart dude. With an attitude like that he will be successful at whatever he chooses to do.
Jake-247
5/19/2011 1:29am
Antipodean wrote:
Great news.

Oldmate?

Post a reply to: Lettter from Ian Trettel

The Latest