Letter To Bike Shops

honda907
3/24/2017 3:40pm Edited Date/Time 3/24/2017 3:41pm
It is the way of the future-mail order. Stick and mortar stores are having a tough time. It isn't just motorcycle shops. All retail is having a tough time. Look at Nordstrom, Macy's, Sears, JC Penny's, Barns and Nobles, etc.

Service is where it is at. If the shop thinks it is 1999, they will go under.

Even Yamaha offers online shopping delivered to the dealer and the dealer gets 5% of the order. It is then the DEALER who needs to step up and install those accessories. If not, then they will loose that market too.........

TeamGreen
3/24/2017 3:49pm
Paradigm Shift

par·a·digm shift

a fundamental change in approach or underlying assumptions.

The dealers that adapt to the changing times will thrive.

The others? Well, a lot of them are gone already.
newmann
3/24/2017 4:08pm
Joe Schmoe wrote:
Ride Sat/Sun Clean/Inspect bike Sun (Monday if Im lazy) Tuesday order parts 48 hours later... Thursday parts arrive (RMATV or Motosport) Friday evening install them. Repeat...
Ride Sat/Sun
Clean/Inspect bike Sun (Monday if Im lazy)
Tuesday order parts
48 hours later...
Thursday parts arrive (RMATV or Motosport)
Friday evening install them.
Repeat.

Never step foot in a dealer and deal with some hotheaded douchebag kid behind a counter who knows it all, or some crotchety old man who has been traumatized by years of dealing with powersports people.
bultokid wrote:
LOL, last time went in shop I use to frequent some rude,dipshit moron with an attitude gave me bunch of crap for a plug...... Me: Give...
LOL, last time went in shop I use to frequent some rude,dipshit moron with an attitude gave me bunch of crap for a plug......

Me: Give me 2 B8ES please
DS: For what bike...smart ass attitude
Me: I just need 2 B8ES is all
DS: For what bike...getting pissed
Me: I just need 2 B8ES please, I already know what I need
DS: For what bike....now just flat out rude
Me: Ok, then, I need a plug for a 1975 Bultaco 250 Pursang.....
DS: Uh...uh..I don't know I can't find it
Me: No shit....peace..out

Never spent a dime in there again....the shop is no longer around

The GOOD shops and there are many, have been around for years and built a rapport with customers ( Sales 101 ) Those guys I'll drop coin with and don't mind paying more....hey we all got to eat.
TeamGreen wrote:
Remember when your local shop had boxes of plugs on the shelf?

Good Tiimes
Remember when any local dealer could bore a cylinder and press a rod?

Even here in Southeast Texas our dealers in the 60's and 70's were building their own Dynos, heading up racing for Triumph at Daytona, turning the cylinders around backwards on their Can-Ams with hand made watercooled heads and fairing and setting records at Bonneville, ending up on the big screen in On Any Sunday, competing at the highest levels of flat track and even outboard boat racing national champions with engines built in the bike shop. Not only were they motorcycle enthusiasts, mechanics, tuners and racers, some of them were inventors and patent holders.
Rockinar
3/24/2017 4:15pm Edited Date/Time 3/24/2017 4:22pm
Last week I called a local big Honda shop right at their closing time. Big shop, good reputation, etc.

Me: "Do you have brake pads for 91 CR 125?"

THEM: "Sure do! I will hold them for you. Come get them tomorrow"

Me: "Thats great thanks! See you tomorrow"

Me (next day in the shop) "Yes Im here to pick up the brake pads you held for me"

THEM: "Yeahhh......uhh we dont have them anymore. Well we do, but someone called this morning and put them on layaway".

Me: "Huh? But you said...." (And confused. Isn'y layaway what you do at Kmart when you cant afford the TV you want? What the hell is he talking about??").

Them: "Yeah things move fast around here".

Me: "Ok, bye"

Long story short I had to go sit in this shop's parking lot and call around other shop to find the brake pads. Had to drive another 30 minutes away. A big black eye for this shop. I TRY to support local retail. But seems like I always get the short end of the stick.

I don't really expect them to stock much. But brake pads, air filters, spark plugs, etc is not asking too much.

The Shop

newmann
3/24/2017 4:16pm Edited Date/Time 3/24/2017 4:19pm
newmann wrote:
Typical 5:15 pm call to Munn Racing: Chip Munn answers phone 95% of the time, maybe 98.7%. Hey Chip, for my 2008 KTM144, I need a...
Typical 5:15 pm call to Munn Racing: Chip Munn answers phone 95% of the time, maybe 98.7%.

Hey Chip, for my 2008 KTM144, I need a... He interrupts, Got it! Also, I need a... Got it! Hey Chip, I haven't even told you what I... Got that too!

Tomorrow at lunch time, 250 miles away, the box of parts arrives on my desk with regular ground shipping. Occasionally it may be the following day.

Call to 50,000 Sq Ft Taj Mahal dealer for a set of six spark plugs for a Goldwing. Yeah, we have three. Laughing
Steadman wrote:
That reminds me Newman, I was one of those that crapped on you in your fuel line thread a long time ago. I honestly and sincerely...
That reminds me Newman, I was one of those that crapped on you in your fuel line thread a long time ago. I honestly and sincerely apologize for that. I believe I was having a terrible day and my last straw was broke. I would shake your hand and apologize in person if it were possible.
Oh, you're that guy?Laughing It's cool, we all have our "breaking point", and that day for me it was no 1/4 inch or 5/16 fuel line in a dealership with probably 40 million worth of real estate and inventory. I actually do like my local dealers and always try to spend some money there to support them. Times have changed though.

I see you have moved on to not liking Fox? If I showed you what Pete, Geoff and Bob have done for me you would most likely shit your pants. I know I almost did once. Trust me, they do care. Maybe someone there had a bad day and pissed you off? There are 1800 or so employees between the two Fox companies.
BAMX
3/24/2017 4:17pm
RPM68 wrote:
I read this out loud to our parts department, and while you make a valid point, a very valid point at that, however you have to...
I read this out loud to our parts department, and while you make a valid point, a very valid point at that, however you have to realize departments cater to what they are selling. If you buy more from them, they will stock stuff for you.
How can we buy from you if you don't have the stuff?
reded
3/24/2017 4:32pm
Somewhere around '99-2000 a new Honda dealership opened near me. One weekend I had a chain bail off at 8krpm on a CR500 and bent the shift shaft. So I go into the new store, parts guy says I'll have to order it, be here in a week. I go in one week later and he throws the shaft on the counter, as soon as I see it I say, "that's for a CR250." He looks up the number and sure enough it's for a 250. At that point he proceeds to tell me that there's a 10% re-stocking fee. I said you didn't have the mfer in stock, ordered the wrong part and now your gonna charge me for your fuck up, no thanks! Walked out and ordered everything online thereafter.
Cygnus
3/24/2017 4:42pm
I have wrenched for a few shops over the years. We used to have guys that would stop in and just hangout and bullshit because the bike shop was the cool place to be. Now it seems like
They just want you in and out and aren't very friendly. So I do almost all my purchasing online. It helps that I live 30 minutes from any shop because I have a track and can't stand being in the city. It's great to just grab my phone and place an order and have it at my door in two days. I get the right parts all the time too. Not like the shift shaft issue above. Good riddance to parts depts.
WRH
3/24/2017 4:48pm Edited Date/Time 3/24/2017 4:52pm
newmann wrote:
Remember when any local dealer could bore a cylinder and press a rod? Even here in Southeast Texas our dealers in the 60's and 70's were...

Even here in Southeast Texas our dealers in the 60's and 70's were building their own Dynos, heading up racing for Triumph at Daytona, turning the cylinders around backwards on their Can-Ams with hand made watercooled heads and fairing and setting records at Bonneville, ending up on the big screen in On Any Sunday, competing at the highest levels of flat track and even outboard boat racing national champions with engines built in the bike shop. Not only were they motorcycle enthusiasts, mechanics, tuners and racers, some of them were inventors and patent holders.
One guy in Garland still can. Lucky at LCS. And I remember when we had shelves of boxes of plugs. At Garland Suzuki we would disassemble each new RM and make a box with a part number for every part. Even disassemble engines and have a box for every part . Even frames would sell quickly. We made our own mail order business.
Rob357
3/24/2017 5:03pm Edited Date/Time 3/25/2017 6:51am
Rob357 wrote:
So I brought up a topic that is not supposed to ever be mentioned. Cool. And You'd never know if I were a customer (type) of...
So I brought up a topic that is not supposed to ever be mentioned. Cool.

And You'd never know if I were a customer (type) of yours, because we don't complain. We just quietly go away disgusted and don''t return.

The fact that you are hostile toward someone pointing out that some change is due AND opportunity abounds illustrates. plenty to me about your shop.

I hope every single part you need is discontinued or not available.

Naw....I just go to Partzilla and can get everything I could ever need.
nrosso391 wrote:
You don't complain? You quietly go away? What the hell is the point of this entire thread then?
AT THE DEALERS you moron!
Steadman
3/24/2017 5:55pm Edited Date/Time 3/24/2017 6:23pm
newmann wrote:
Remember when any local dealer could bore a cylinder and press a rod? Even here in Southeast Texas our dealers in the 60's and 70's were...

This is the heritage of the shop I work in. Between the owner and the mechanic they have about 70 years experience between them. Our mechanic was wrenching on the AMA Flat Track scene for sometime and working in shops since he was a kid. The owner a rider, turned side car racer, turned shop owner, built a successful motorcycle drag race team and a successful single line dealership. He is also successful in pioneering aftermarket products that are sold and used world wide. They have in some cases been the go to guys that even the manufacturers have gone to seeking advice. The only reason we are still in business is because of their knowledge and ability. Shops like this though are a dying breed.
nrosso391
Fantasy
2824th
3/24/2017 6:17pm
Nice private message you sent me...Homo.
Steadman
3/24/2017 6:20pm
newmann wrote:
Typical 5:15 pm call to Munn Racing: Chip Munn answers phone 95% of the time, maybe 98.7%. Hey Chip, for my 2008 KTM144, I need a...
Typical 5:15 pm call to Munn Racing: Chip Munn answers phone 95% of the time, maybe 98.7%.

Hey Chip, for my 2008 KTM144, I need a... He interrupts, Got it! Also, I need a... Got it! Hey Chip, I haven't even told you what I... Got that too!

Tomorrow at lunch time, 250 miles away, the box of parts arrives on my desk with regular ground shipping. Occasionally it may be the following day.

Call to 50,000 Sq Ft Taj Mahal dealer for a set of six spark plugs for a Goldwing. Yeah, we have three. Laughing
Steadman wrote:
That reminds me Newman, I was one of those that crapped on you in your fuel line thread a long time ago. I honestly and sincerely...
That reminds me Newman, I was one of those that crapped on you in your fuel line thread a long time ago. I honestly and sincerely apologize for that. I believe I was having a terrible day and my last straw was broke. I would shake your hand and apologize in person if it were possible.
newmann wrote:
Oh, you're [i]that[/i] guy?:laugh: It's cool, we all have our "breaking point", and that day for me it was no 1/4 inch or 5/16 fuel line...
Oh, you're that guy?Laughing It's cool, we all have our "breaking point", and that day for me it was no 1/4 inch or 5/16 fuel line in a dealership with probably 40 million worth of real estate and inventory. I actually do like my local dealers and always try to spend some money there to support them. Times have changed though.

I see you have moved on to not liking Fox? If I showed you what Pete, Geoff and Bob have done for me you would most likely shit your pants. I know I almost did once. Trust me, they do care. Maybe someone there had a bad day and pissed you off? There are 1800 or so employees between the two Fox companies.
Yes-yes I was that guy Blush but if there was anything positive that came out of that thread it was that I made sure we weren't that shop without fuel line. Stocked up that week.

I've been running the anti Fox avatar for just over a year now. Coles notes. We had been selling Fox for around 15 years. We got dropped. A few soft years of sales, two missed emails that went to the wrong department (that told us we needed to step it up or else) and boom we were cut off from purchasing. I tried to talk with them (Fox Canada) but they didn't want to hear it. I offered a decent booking order to get the ball rolling again but I was told and I quote 'there are other brands you can sell we don't need your business' I was blown away. And just like that 15 years of selling the brand and roughly 25 as a loyal consumer we got kicked to the curb. Big corporate Fox forgot about the little shops and customers like me that helped support and build the brand.

I tried contacting Pete Fox via social media but didn't get a response. I didn't expect to, I'm sure a guy like him has a million things to take care of.

End rant Whistling

TXDirt
3/24/2017 6:29pm
Rob357 wrote:
So I brought up a topic that is not supposed to ever be mentioned. Cool. And You'd never know if I were a customer (type) of...

And You'd never know if I were a customer (type) of yours, because we don't complain. We just quietly go away disgusted and don''t return.

The fact that you are hostile toward someone pointing out that some change is due AND opportunity abounds illustrates. plenty to me about your shop.

nrosso391 wrote:
You don't complain? You quietly go away? What the hell is the point of this entire thread then?
Rob357 wrote:
Well you definately have cemented your credibility in this thread. Whistling
TeamGreen
3/24/2017 7:03pm
Rob357 wrote:

nrosso391 wrote:
Rob357 wrote:
NRosso was in Bread? He's that old?

Isn't that a band from the '60s? Wow. Vital has Rockstars!
3/24/2017 7:05pm
In my personal experience all of this big multi brand shops suck. The mom and pops shops are usually the best.
3/24/2017 8:25pm Edited Date/Time 3/25/2017 7:14am
Rob357 wrote:
Kollige much, bruh? Du ewe evn hav enuf sak to tel dem guyz atda shop to thayre facz ?

Nice edit ,bruh.
captmoto
3/24/2017 9:54pm
sam hain wrote:
Last time I went in my local Yamaha dealer needing a 168 main jet, the parts guy says "got a part #".
One of the biggest shocks of my life was walking into Chaparral and asking a girl behind the counter for some Keihin jets. She brought a case of jets out to go through so I could pick what I wanted. She said if she dug them out of the Yamaha fiche it would cost 3 times as much. I dealt with her several times rebuilding the CR250 in my avatar.
Now, boy was I pissed when my small shop didn't have that brake rod pin and kick shaft seal for my YZ465 and had to wait 2 days for it.
rrjr
3/25/2017 3:22am
True Story.

I went into the Yamaha dealer that was closest to my house because I needed a clutch cable for my Son's yz85. They didn't have one but said "We can order it for you". I said no thanks I'll try to find it local. The guy gives me a smartass reply.
"Good luck with that"
Went home and called a multi line dealer that was about 40 miles away. They had it in stock. Guy told me that the parts dept was closing in about 30 min. I told him where I was coming from and he said no problem I'll wait for you if you can get here with in an hour.
I couldn't believe he offered to do that especially since it was a Saturday. I ended up leaving the dealer with the clutch cable and a brand new Honda crf150r for my Son.
rrjr
3/25/2017 3:28am
nrosso391 wrote:
Nice private message you sent me...Homo.
Post it up. Laughing
3/25/2017 7:05am
Rob357 wrote:
Dear Motorcyle Store, Why do you even HAVE a Parts Department any more? You sell new Yamaha, KTM, Honda, etc.bikes. You've been a dealer of these...
Dear Motorcyle Store,

Why do you even HAVE a Parts Department any more?

You sell new Yamaha, KTM, Honda, etc.bikes. You've been a dealer of these bikes for a very long time. Your service department and your parts department have been around the same amounnt of time as well. I point this out because you clearly have a lot of experience in the bike world.

What blows my mind is how you chase parts business away.

When we go to a Cycle Store on a Saturday to get a commong item, we don't need to hear and do not want to hear that you "can order it." I can "order it too." Its called The Internet!

If there is a reason for a bricks-and-mortar store, it ought to be to satisfy a need of the parts buyer while he's there...not 3 days later. UPS comes to my house too!

Now some will say "you can't carry everything." I say to that; "you CAN carry ever common item of frequent failure and wear." Some examples are:

- Front and rear sprocket for the brands you carry.
- Inner tubes for common bikes (dirt and street)
- Every possible spark plug for the brand of bikes you carry.
- Fuel hose of all diameters.
- Clutch kits
- Brake master cylinders for the brands you carry.
- Fork oil
- Ready chains (boxed common high performance chains - not off a spool out back)
- Tear offs for the brands of goggles you carry.
- Tires - All common tire sizes!

If what I need is not in your inventory, I have no need to venture to your store's parts dept.

I have gone home empty handed without the most common items, that I don't and won't venture out to your stores any longer. I adapt by building my own inventory for my 2 YZ 85s. Its not that hard to do either. I simply anticipate everything that YOU won't have and I buy multiples.

If I can carry 6 inner tubes for one of the earth's most common dirt bikes, you can certainly carry ONE!

When I need fuel hose for my CR500, I pull from my own spools.

Why can't YOU carry what I can carry for common stuff?

I can no longer see any reason for all 5 of the parts departments in my area. They ought to close down the dept and use the space for other needs, because we no longer "need" your Parts Dept.
Well to me, it just sounds like you are dealing with a shitty bike shop. We arent an OEM dealer, but we still manage to keep those common parts in stock. If we dont have things in stock, we can get them same day. Stocking unneccesary parts is a huge expense as these items could be sitting on the shelves for years.
3/25/2017 7:40am
Customer: I need partx...its an emergency.
Dealer: I have one...its $120
Customer: But I can get it online for $100. Can you match that price?
Dealer: Sorry I cant, I understand your situation, but I do have it in stock and you can come get it right now.
Customer: Your an asshole, trying to steal from the little man, you think I'm made of money?
Clutchy
3/25/2017 8:23am
Rob357 wrote:
Dear Motorcyle Store, Why do you even HAVE a Parts Department any more? You sell new Yamaha, KTM, Honda, etc.bikes. You've been a dealer of these...
Dear Motorcyle Store,

Why do you even HAVE a Parts Department any more?

You sell new Yamaha, KTM, Honda, etc.bikes. You've been a dealer of these bikes for a very long time. Your service department and your parts department have been around the same amounnt of time as well. I point this out because you clearly have a lot of experience in the bike world.

What blows my mind is how you chase parts business away.

When we go to a Cycle Store on a Saturday to get a commong item, we don't need to hear and do not want to hear that you "can order it." I can "order it too." Its called The Internet!

If there is a reason for a bricks-and-mortar store, it ought to be to satisfy a need of the parts buyer while he's there...not 3 days later. UPS comes to my house too!

Now some will say "you can't carry everything." I say to that; "you CAN carry ever common item of frequent failure and wear." Some examples are:

- Front and rear sprocket for the brands you carry.
- Inner tubes for common bikes (dirt and street)
- Every possible spark plug for the brand of bikes you carry.
- Fuel hose of all diameters.
- Clutch kits
- Brake master cylinders for the brands you carry.
- Fork oil
- Ready chains (boxed common high performance chains - not off a spool out back)
- Tear offs for the brands of goggles you carry.
- Tires - All common tire sizes!

If what I need is not in your inventory, I have no need to venture to your store's parts dept.

I have gone home empty handed without the most common items, that I don't and won't venture out to your stores any longer. I adapt by building my own inventory for my 2 YZ 85s. Its not that hard to do either. I simply anticipate everything that YOU won't have and I buy multiples.

If I can carry 6 inner tubes for one of the earth's most common dirt bikes, you can certainly carry ONE!

When I need fuel hose for my CR500, I pull from my own spools.

Why can't YOU carry what I can carry for common stuff?

I can no longer see any reason for all 5 of the parts departments in my area. They ought to close down the dept and use the space for other needs, because we no longer "need" your Parts Dept.
Sounds like you should open your own parts dept. You obviously have NO CLUE what it is to run a business of any sort or you'd understand why they do it. You also answered your own question. Stop going there and order your own damn parts. It's not 1985 anymore. Evolve or you will just look like a damn dirty bike rider.
rick's mx
3/25/2017 9:53am
TeamGreen wrote:
Name and Address, please?
Rick's Motocross Connection
Oskaloosa Iowa

Post a reply to: Letter To Bike Shops

The Latest