Letter To Bike Shops

3/24/2017 9:57am
SVT-Cobra wrote:
Yeah it's pretty frustrating. I usually keep a stock of No Toil filters and oil filters on hand, but I just had my clutch cable give...
Yeah it's pretty frustrating. I usually keep a stock of No Toil filters and oil filters on hand, but I just had my clutch cable give up and I was surprised no body in town had one. It was like 15 dollars so I'm surprised they didn't have at least one on hand for the range of bikes that use the same cable.
find a local shop that can make you a cable.
3/24/2017 10:00am Edited Date/Time 3/24/2017 10:04am
I have to say this whole thread mirrors my local experiences in San Antonio (you know, the 8th largest city in the U.S.). I have watched 6, yes 6, KTM dealers come and go over the past 15 years. Currently, the closest KTM dealership is over 100 miles from my house. It's OK though because Munn and RM have me covered for parts.

All of the local "Big 4" dealers have consolidated into Megaplex's. If you want a clothing boutique/chrome shop, they have you covered. If you need parts, they can order it for you, if they can figure out what the hell you want because most have never actually ridden a dirt bike in their life. Chains, sprockets, tubes, gotta order those. Tires, yep.....gotta order those too. Need a cylinder bored, not a dealer in the area can do it.

Basically the Japanese dealers all focus on SXS and ATV sales unless they are selling a 20 something a crotch rocket as their first bike. I hear repeat business is pretty good on those, if the rider isn't mangled too badly in the inevitable accident during the first 30 days of ownership.

We really need some dealer principals that understand what being a good merchant is about in this industry. That's what we had when the Mom and Pop single line shops were around. You know, someone who is focused on quality of service understanding that quality drives the bottom line and that relationship selling drives loyalty. The customer doesn't owe a dealer loyalty if it's not earned. I hear a lot of shop employees in this thread that don't seem to understand this.
Jake_CR250R
3/24/2017 10:03am
The small shop I work at, which isn't even a dealer has any sparkplug, brake pads, forks seals, bearings anyone would need. Oils, premix, tires, tubes. I understand not carrying engine rebuild parts, and very specific parts, but I don't see any reason why a big dealer couldn't atleast carry to parts to get a mild breakdown resolved.
rmoto003
3/24/2017 10:04am
"Do yall have any 110/90-19 rear mx tires?"

"No but I can order one and have it here monday for $129.99"

"........."

The Shop

Tracktor
3/24/2017 10:07am
Rob357 wrote:
LOTS of dif jobs, but: Selling research to University Presidents. Selling Legal Research to Lawyers and selling compliance data to governments.
BobPA wrote:
Posting on vital for only a week you are certainly climbing the douche ladder at an alarming rate. Do you carry a proper torque wrench? Sounds...
Posting on vital for only a week you are certainly climbing the douche ladder at an alarming rate. Do you carry a proper torque wrench? Sounds like your sprocket bolts are coming loose after your recent gearing change.
Rob357 wrote:
So everything I've said is invalid?

There is no issue here with parts departments and dealers.Thanks for the warm welcome.
No, not invalid just you are gonna piss off those who have worked for thousands of post to climb said douche ladder.

Remember, it's the interwebs where everyone is an expert on shit they know nothing about and means very little to anyone..........

When we sold our last YZ85 I ended up giving away a huge crate of spare parts to racers in need. Nice thing about them is they were the same since '03 and parts were dirt cheap...........
BobPA
3/24/2017 10:09am
Rob357 wrote:
So everything I've said is invalid?

There is no issue here with parts departments and dealers.Thanks for the warm welcome.
15-22 lb/ft with a bit of blue loc-tite and you should be ready to rip, don't wanna damage the hub.

BobPA
3/24/2017 10:13am
Tracktor wrote:
No, not invalid just you are gonna piss off those who have worked for thousands of post to climb said douche ladder. Remember, it's the interwebs...
No, not invalid just you are gonna piss off those who have worked for thousands of post to climb said douche ladder.

Remember, it's the interwebs where everyone is an expert on shit they know nothing about and means very little to anyone..........

When we sold our last YZ85 I ended up giving away a huge crate of spare parts to racers in need. Nice thing about them is they were the same since '03 and parts were dirt cheap...........
You're still butthurt over the homeschooling thing. I hear this tool can be had real cheap from Motorsport....shipped to your door next day

wreckitrandy
3/24/2017 10:13am
Rob357 wrote:
[quote]So you have your "own inventory"? I'm guessing since you don't own a dealership means its a box or shelf of a few parts. That's not...
So you have your "own inventory"? I'm guessing since you don't own a dealership means its a box or shelf of a few parts. That's not an inventory...That's just spare parts pal.

I carry cylinders, cables, pistons, 2 of every engine gasket, 3 clutches (soaked), tires, tubes, water-pumps, seals for all externals. Over $2000 in parts. so go pound sand
Sounds like if you took your experience, degree and, business model out of your garage and opened your own shop, you could really excel in the industry.
jsmx97
3/24/2017 10:14am
Rob357 wrote:
LOTS of dif jobs, but: Selling research to University Presidents. Selling Legal Research to Lawyers and selling compliance data to governments.
Steadman wrote:
Ok that gives myself and others an idea of where you are coming from then. Like I said before, not all shops are equal. A little...
Ok that gives myself and others an idea of where you are coming from then. Like I said before, not all shops are equal. A little common courtesy BOTH ways can go a long ways sometimes. It's a fragile, challenging industry.
Like I mentioned before, internet sales have created this shit storm of supply and demand (or lack thereof) within dealer showrooms.
Rob357 wrote:
I am courtious to ALL bike shop people. They are brothers in bikes after all. Its funny this whole "Internet Thing" conversation has not come up...
I am courtious to ALL bike shop people. They are brothers in bikes after all.

Its funny this whole "Internet Thing" conversation has not come up before now, given that this forum in ON the internet.

I hate to see good business (or really ANY business) go neglected, and this is one very very neglected business sector.

If bricks and mortar sales was doing its proper job, the internet would have had a very hard time taking our business. "Buy my bike's parts over the internet??? NO WAY!"

But the conditions of the market were ripe for being picked to death. I'm beginning to think the patient has died, and just not hit the floor yet.
Rob, I read your post and I can see your stand point. In my experience growing up racing and dealing with many different shops/dealers, times have certainly changed. Now a days many seem to have less in stock, longer ordering times, less knowledgeable staff, etc.

Not all fall into this group...

I own a shop/dealer called ST.HILAIRE MOTORSPORTS up the road from you in Barrington, NH. Maybe you've heard of us. I grew up racing NESC and like a few others that have posted here, I know the grind. I do my very best to stock the necessities (brake pads, tires, tubes, rim strips, rim locks, levers, bars, chains, some sprockets, grips, throttle tubes, all fluids, gear, helmets, goggles, tear offs, etc.), and would be glad to have your business not only when you are in a bind, but all the time. You have to find the right place, and I PROMISE they will make you happy- whether that be us, or a different shop in the area. There are still good ones out there, like mine, that understand we need to earn your business in a day in age where it is so easy to click a mouse to purchase items. I love this business and don't intend to go anywhere anytime soon, but we also know we need to do whatever we can to bring more business into the store than online.

If I don't have something you're looking for, it is generally not a common item, and I make my best effort to get it next day... and if it is over $150 I ship to you for free so you never leave your house.

Either way I hope this doesn't seem like as much of an advertising plug, as a plead for you to not give up on local dealers. Us good ones need guys like you!
Rob357
3/24/2017 10:18am
Tracktor wrote:
No, not invalid just you are gonna piss off those who have worked for thousands of post to climb said douche ladder. Remember, it's the interwebs...

BobPA wrote:
You're still butthurt over the homeschooling thing. I hear this tool can be had real cheap from Motorsport....shipped to your door next day [img]https://media1.giphy.com/media/OXSi5RMEp1ACQ/giphy.gif[/img]
You're still butthurt over the homeschooling thing. I hear this tool can be had real cheap from Motorsport....shipped to your door next day

Are you stoned? WHAT homeschooling thing?
BobPA
3/24/2017 10:20am
Tracktor wrote:

BobPA wrote:
You're still butthurt over the homeschooling thing. I hear this tool can be had real cheap from Motorsport....shipped to your door next day [img]https://media1.giphy.com/media/OXSi5RMEp1ACQ/giphy.gif[/img]

Rob357 wrote:
Look who I quoted in the previous post, not directed towards you. Better check your THC and/or your reading comprehension levels...
Rob357
3/24/2017 10:24am
Steadman wrote:
Ok that gives myself and others an idea of where you are coming from then. Like I said before, not all shops are equal. A little...
Ok that gives myself and others an idea of where you are coming from then. Like I said before, not all shops are equal. A little common courtesy BOTH ways can go a long ways sometimes. It's a fragile, challenging industry.
Like I mentioned before, internet sales have created this shit storm of supply and demand (or lack thereof) within dealer showrooms.
Rob357 wrote:
I am courtious to ALL bike shop people. They are brothers in bikes after all. Its funny this whole "Internet Thing" conversation has not come up...
I am courtious to ALL bike shop people. They are brothers in bikes after all.

Its funny this whole "Internet Thing" conversation has not come up before now, given that this forum in ON the internet.

I hate to see good business (or really ANY business) go neglected, and this is one very very neglected business sector.

If bricks and mortar sales was doing its proper job, the internet would have had a very hard time taking our business. "Buy my bike's parts over the internet??? NO WAY!"

But the conditions of the market were ripe for being picked to death. I'm beginning to think the patient has died, and just not hit the floor yet.
jsmx97 wrote:
Rob, I read your post and I can see your stand point. In my experience growing up racing and dealing with many different shops/dealers, times have...
Rob, I read your post and I can see your stand point. In my experience growing up racing and dealing with many different shops/dealers, times have certainly changed. Now a days many seem to have less in stock, longer ordering times, less knowledgeable staff, etc.

Not all fall into this group...

I own a shop/dealer called ST.HILAIRE MOTORSPORTS up the road from you in Barrington, NH. Maybe you've heard of us. I grew up racing NESC and like a few others that have posted here, I know the grind. I do my very best to stock the necessities (brake pads, tires, tubes, rim strips, rim locks, levers, bars, chains, some sprockets, grips, throttle tubes, all fluids, gear, helmets, goggles, tear offs, etc.), and would be glad to have your business not only when you are in a bind, but all the time. You have to find the right place, and I PROMISE they will make you happy- whether that be us, or a different shop in the area. There are still good ones out there, like mine, that understand we need to earn your business in a day in age where it is so easy to click a mouse to purchase items. I love this business and don't intend to go anywhere anytime soon, but we also know we need to do whatever we can to bring more business into the store than online.

If I don't have something you're looking for, it is generally not a common item, and I make my best effort to get it next day... and if it is over $150 I ship to you for free so you never leave your house.

Either way I hope this doesn't seem like as much of an advertising plug, as a plead for you to not give up on local dealers. Us good ones need guys like you!
You already won my business. I see you at tracks. You did the forks on one of our bikes. Yer a good shop!!!!
Bfogg217
3/24/2017 10:24am
Says he has this huge "inventory," two of everything but still has to go to the shop because he doesn't have what he needs. You can't even stock your own damn garage for the one model of bike you have but you shit on the dealer for not having parts for one of the probably 30-40 models they have. Use your MBA to really asses what you're saying man. What do you even get from posting stuff like that? That shop isn't going to suddenly change their business model because you posted about them on Vital.
Tracktor
3/24/2017 10:27am
BobPA wrote:

Rob357 wrote:
BobPA wrote:
Look who I quoted in the previous post, not directed towards you. Better check your THC and/or your reading comprehension levels...
Not really, it was more interesting to show your willingness to argue over things you didn't know shit about as you continue to do so in this thread. You added nothing other than trying to "cool guy" by piggybacking off of Peelout's schtick.............
bigmaico
3/24/2017 10:29am
newmann wrote:
Typical 5:15 pm call to Munn Racing: Chip Munn answers phone 95% of the time, maybe 98.7%. Hey Chip, for my 2008 KTM144, I need a...
Typical 5:15 pm call to Munn Racing: Chip Munn answers phone 95% of the time, maybe 98.7%.

Hey Chip, for my 2008 KTM144, I need a... He interrupts, Got it! Also, I need a... Got it! Hey Chip, I haven't even told you what I... Got that too!

Tomorrow at lunch time, 250 miles away, the box of parts arrives on my desk with regular ground shipping. Occasionally it may be the following day.

Call to 50,000 Sq Ft Taj Mahal dealer for a set of six spark plugs for a Goldwing. Yeah, we have three. Laughing
WRH wrote:
That means Chip took the time at the end of the day to pull the parts, box/package the parts, bill out, pull up and print out...
That means Chip took the time at the end of the day to pull the parts, box/package the parts, bill out, pull up and print out the shipping label, and deliver the box to the shipper. Be it the Greyhound bus station, ups, fed ex, USPS, etc.
Congrats to Chip, for taking the effort to be outstanding.
I bet you that Chip does it ASAP! If he gets it to the shipper before 3pm Joe will have by noon the next-day!

That's why he so successful as be one of the top KTM Husky dealers in the U.S.
TXDirt
3/24/2017 10:31am
Bfogg217 wrote:
Says he has this huge "inventory," two of everything but still has to go to the shop because he doesn't have what he needs. You can't...
Says he has this huge "inventory," two of everything but still has to go to the shop because he doesn't have what he needs. You can't even stock your own damn garage for the one model of bike you have but you shit on the dealer for not having parts for one of the probably 30-40 models they have. Use your MBA to really asses what you're saying man. What do you even get from posting stuff like that? That shop isn't going to suddenly change their business model because you posted about them on Vital.
I agree with you. When is the last time you saw someone post a thread about the great experience they had at a dealer and the dealer had exactly what they needed at a great price and the customer service was top notch!!!

The internet is for people to bitch and complain. That's all. That's why the worst thing you can do is go research a surgery like back surgery. All the reviews and posts are from people with negative experiences. Which is probably less then 1% of the overall success rate. No one who had a great back fusion go on the internet to talk about it. Or to start a new thread at WebMD to say how much it changed their lives for the better.

Interwebs is for people to complain and gripe about negative experiences. Hell for all we know this dealership in question could be top notch.
Rob357
3/24/2017 10:32am
Bfogg217 wrote:
Says he has this huge "inventory," two of everything but still has to go to the shop because he doesn't have what he needs. You can't...
Okay!
bigmaico
3/24/2017 10:32am
Joe Schmoe wrote:
Ride Sat/Sun Clean/Inspect bike Sun (Monday if Im lazy) Tuesday order parts 48 hours later... Thursday parts arrive (RMATV or Motosport) Friday evening install them. Repeat...
Ride Sat/Sun
Clean/Inspect bike Sun (Monday if Im lazy)
Tuesday order parts
48 hours later...
Thursday parts arrive (RMATV or Motosport)
Friday evening install them.
Repeat.

Never step foot in a dealer and deal with some hotheaded douchebag kid behind a counter who knows it all, or some crotchety old man who has been traumatized by years of dealing with powersports people.
bultokid wrote:
LOL, last time went in shop I use to frequent some rude,dipshit moron with an attitude gave me bunch of crap for a plug...... Me: Give...
LOL, last time went in shop I use to frequent some rude,dipshit moron with an attitude gave me bunch of crap for a plug......

Me: Give me 2 B8ES please
DS: For what bike...smart ass attitude
Me: I just need 2 B8ES is all
DS: For what bike...getting pissed
Me: I just need 2 B8ES please, I already know what I need
DS: For what bike....now just flat out rude
Me: Ok, then, I need a plug for a 1975 Bultaco 250 Pursang.....
DS: Uh...uh..I don't know I can't find it
Me: No shit....peace..out

Never spent a dime in there again....the shop is no longer around

The GOOD shops and there are many, have been around for years and built a rapport with customers ( Sales 101 ) Those guys I'll drop coin with and don't mind paying more....hey we all got to eat.
Rhett,

Sounds like that Yamaha Dealer I spoke about earlier, But their still in Business.

I guess their SxS sales & repair shop are keeping them running.
Rob357
3/24/2017 10:33am
Bfogg217 wrote:
TXDirt wrote:
I agree with you. When is the last time you saw someone post a thread about the great experience they had at a dealer and the...
I agree with you. When is the last time you saw someone post a thread about the great experience they had at a dealer and the dealer had exactly what they needed at a great price and the customer service was top notch!!!

The internet is for people to bitch and complain. That's all. That's why the worst thing you can do is go research a surgery like back surgery. All the reviews and posts are from people with negative experiences. Which is probably less then 1% of the overall success rate. No one who had a great back fusion go on the internet to talk about it. Or to start a new thread at WebMD to say how much it changed their lives for the better.

Interwebs is for people to complain and gripe about negative experiences. Hell for all we know this dealership in question could be top notch.
I've spoken of over 9 dealerhsips in this thread. Dont you read before you piss and moan?
BobPA
3/24/2017 10:35am
Tracktor wrote:
Not really, it was more interesting to show your willingness to argue over things you didn't know shit about as you continue to do so in...
Not really, it was more interesting to show your willingness to argue over things you didn't know shit about as you continue to do so in this thread. You added nothing other than trying to "cool guy" by piggybacking off of Peelout's schtick.............
Bro, I deal with this stuff everyday. Stocking everything for everyone is impossible, just went through it in another recent thread....which I am sure you responded to under a different alias. You're the kind of guy that would come in for a clutch lever, I would have one on the shelf, but you would freak out because it was the wrong brand or color.
Rob357
3/24/2017 10:37am
Bfogg217 wrote:
I still have more of a YZ85 inventory than ANY ONE of the Yamaha dealers in new england.

Isn't that a head scratcher!!!!
mx196
Fantasy
4082nd
3/24/2017 10:39am
Rob357 wrote:
I've spoken of over 9 dealerhsips in this thread. Dont you read before you piss and moan?
Yes, we do. You clearly don't use your brain or educational experience before you piss and moan about local shops, though.
Tracktor
3/24/2017 10:44am Edited Date/Time 3/24/2017 10:45am
BobPA wrote:
Bro, I deal with this stuff everyday. Stocking everything for everyone is impossible, just went through it in another recent thread....which I am sure you responded...
Bro, I deal with this stuff everyday. Stocking everything for everyone is impossible, just went through it in another recent thread....which I am sure you responded to under a different alias. You're the kind of guy that would come in for a clutch lever, I would have one on the shelf, but you would freak out because it was the wrong brand or color.
Har, your insecurities are showing. I have never posted under any other alias/name on any message board even when I was banned from Vital for many years for making fun of Bauer. I have no need/desire to hide anything I say. I do find it funny that you decided the douche shoe fit, however.

I am good friends with my local independent shop and know their limitations. I also buy stuff online for convenience. Stick to being a parts guy and stop trying to psychoanalyze posters on Vital you suck at it........BTW, I worked for a brief stint in my early 20's as a parts manager for Hillsboro Honda (now Motosport so your post above made me chuckle) so I know how people can be. It was fun but not enough money in it............
919x
3/24/2017 10:46am Edited Date/Time 3/24/2017 10:47am
Joe Schmoe wrote:
Ride Sat/Sun Clean/Inspect bike Sun (Monday if Im lazy) Tuesday order parts 48 hours later... Thursday parts arrive (RMATV or Motosport) Friday evening install them. Repeat...
Ride Sat/Sun
Clean/Inspect bike Sun (Monday if Im lazy)
Tuesday order parts
48 hours later...
Thursday parts arrive (RMATV or Motosport)
Friday evening install them.
Repeat.

Never step foot in a dealer and deal with some hotheaded douchebag kid behind a counter who knows it all, or some crotchety old man who has been traumatized by years of dealing with powersports people.
bultokid wrote:
LOL, last time went in shop I use to frequent some rude,dipshit moron with an attitude gave me bunch of crap for a plug...... Me: Give...
LOL, last time went in shop I use to frequent some rude,dipshit moron with an attitude gave me bunch of crap for a plug......

Me: Give me 2 B8ES please
DS: For what bike...smart ass attitude
Me: I just need 2 B8ES is all
DS: For what bike...getting pissed
Me: I just need 2 B8ES please, I already know what I need
DS: For what bike....now just flat out rude
Me: Ok, then, I need a plug for a 1975 Bultaco 250 Pursang.....
DS: Uh...uh..I don't know I can't find it
Me: No shit....peace..out

Never spent a dime in there again....the shop is no longer around

The GOOD shops and there are many, have been around for years and built a rapport with customers ( Sales 101 ) Those guys I'll drop coin with and don't mind paying more....hey we all got to eat.
Funny I went into the local Honda/Harley dealership for a NGK BR9EG plug.

Me: I need a NGK BR9EG
Dumb ass parts guy: What kind of bike?
Me: Yamaha YZ 125
Dumb ass parts guy: We don't sell Yamaha parts.
Me: (walk out the door never to return)

That dealership is only about one mile from me. I have bought around 40 new bikes and 10's of thousands in parts. Nothing has been from them after that.
billyg371
3/24/2017 10:46am
TeamGreen wrote:
I'm guessing you use WPS, too?

Do you sell riding gear?
I use WPS as well as MTA. When I started here (June 2016) They had Fly Gear that was a couple years old with mismatched jerseys and pants. Gloves were scarce and all over the place. This dealer has only been open 2 years in this location, so I'm having to build up inventory slowly. But I'm almost all sold out of our old stock Fly Gear and will be placing an order for some sort of gear in the near future. What I try and do is basically beat all the online prices on gear, helmets, boots, and goggles. OEM parts I do my best to get as close as I can. Tires are super hard to be competitve because online retailers buy in bulk so much that their cost is significantly less than what I pay but I do my best to be close.
sam hain
3/24/2017 10:49am
Last time I went in my local Yamaha dealer needing a 168 main jet, the parts guy says "got a part #".
BobPA
3/24/2017 10:50am Edited Date/Time 3/24/2017 10:57am
BobPA wrote:
Bro, I deal with this stuff everyday. Stocking everything for everyone is impossible, just went through it in another recent thread....which I am sure you responded...
Tracktor wrote:
Har, your insecurities are showing. I have never posted under any other alias/name on any message board even when I was banned from Vital for many...
Har, your insecurities are showing. I have never posted under any other alias/name on any message board even when I was banned from Vital for many years for making fun of Bauer. I have no need/desire to hide anything I say. I do find it funny that you decided the douche shoe fit, however.

I am good friends with my local independent shop and know their limitations. I also buy stuff online for convenience. Stick to being a parts guy and stop trying to psychoanalyze posters on Vital you suck at it........BTW, I worked for a brief stint in my early 20's as a parts manager for Hillsboro Honda (now Motosport so your post above made me chuckle) so I know how people can be. It was fun but not enough money in it............
I actually have to check my reading comprehension because I thought it was rob that wrote the previous post, I'm the douche here Grinning

I would not be able to handle being a full time parts guy. I deal with a few customers (mainly moto guys), who are great. But the general public is tough.

Way to passive aggessivly try to talk down on someone over the interwebs, hope it helped your ego bro...
MR. X
3/24/2017 10:51am
Screw this ,I'm gonna order a pizza or maybe take a nap.
hvaughn88
3/24/2017 10:51am
MR. X wrote:
Screw this ,I'm gonna order a pizza or maybe take a nap.
doesn't really matter
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
3/24/2017 10:57am
A lot of this boils down to cash on hand at the dealer. You guys seem to forget that inventory costs a lot of money, and the more you offer, the more it costs. Some dealers have more available capital to spend and others less, plus certain OEMs put enormous requirements on their dealers to carry X_ number of vehicles into their showrooms. It's on flooring (as are the parts,) but there's still a limit to that.

Compound the inventory cost with the likelihood that the essentials that are mentioned in this thread are very expensive from the OEM. (Ever try to buy a tire with a Suzuki, Honda, or Kawasaki part number instead of an aftermarket one?) You'll soon see that a dealership has no choice but to order from a distributor for most of those... and those distributors want payment in full in 30 days, usually.

Also, most OEMs have a minimum limit of essential parts that they require the dealers to order and keep on hand. If your dealer doesn't have a sprocket, fork seals or a piston for a YZ85 they are likely in violation of Yamaha's dealer agreement. ( = Bad dealer.)

My point is this: most dealers are trying very, very hard to have what you want to buy. Some are better than others at it. Go find those guys and give them your business!

Post a reply to: Letter To Bike Shops

The Latest