Lets talk boots/gear

4stroke4DWIN
Edited Date/Time 2/4/2013 8:50am
What do you consider the line between a boot that is comfortable and broken in vs worn out? Reason I ask is the last few practice sessions I've noticed my ankles hurt afterwards. I contribute some of it to being 39 and really ramping up my practice sessions. But, I also have some reservations about my current gear sponsor and the quality of my gear or lack of quality. I've been thru 3 sets of jersey/pants and a boots in less than 6 months. I recently received an offer from another well known gear company, so do you guys think its chicken shit to jump ship in the middle of a contract (morally speaking) or just ride it out and switch at the end of the contract?
|
KGAspeed
2/3/2013 6:41pm
Jerseys & pants are trivial - if they rip and tear fast, the company should address this with you asap to resolve (just ask and I'm betting they'll send you replacements asap). But that I personally could deal with if they took care of defects.

Boots are another matter - if you're just wearing their co-branded generic boot (Oneal, MSR, Moose, etc), I'd stop that right now and buy a reputable brand asap. A-star, TCX, Gaerne, etc. Same applies with helmets of course.

I had a relationship with Moose for a long time, but never ran their boots or helmets. Line, drawn.
Flatliner
2/3/2013 6:47pm
I wear tcx. They have proven durable, and I've yet to wear something with more protection. They aren't the lightest boot either though so there's a trade off.
4stroke4DWIN
2/3/2013 7:01pm
Thanks guys, I do understand the boot importance, I sent out resemes to TCX and Gaerne and did recieve nice offers from both. Waiting to hear from 1 other then I'll decide.

@Flatliner how was the breakin with the TCX?

@anyone, any real world info with the Gaerne's?
WFO!
2/3/2013 7:09pm
Thanks guys, I do understand the boot importance, I sent out resemes to TCX and Gaerne and did recieve nice offers from both. Waiting to hear...
Thanks guys, I do understand the boot importance, I sent out resemes to TCX and Gaerne and did recieve nice offers from both. Waiting to hear from 1 other then I'll decide.

If you have BIG calves then Gaerne FTW.

This is a problem for lots of racers with muscular legs.
I cant even get A-stars fastened without struggling. And with knee braces? Forget about it.

The Shop

swedishfishmx
Fantasy
3801st
2/3/2013 7:12pm
Thanks guys, I do understand the boot importance, I sent out resemes to TCX and Gaerne and did recieve nice offers from both. Waiting to hear...

Gaerne's are awesome. I have some SG12's and will not buy another brand. I've tried Alpinestar Tech 7's and Tech 8's. The level of support and comfort the Gaerne's is really amazing, as well they should be for the price.

The Tech 7 and Tech 8 boots did not last even a single season for each of them. I really liked the bootie offered by the Tech 8, but I had heard a lot of great things about the Gaerne boots and decided to switch.

From my standpoint the price was wroth it.
KGAspeed
2/3/2013 7:18pm
I'm on my third-pair-in-a-row of TCXs. I don't care to even try another. I may, but I really like the TCX a lot. Break-in is a non-issue. I could pull a pair out of the box and race a 2 hour off road race no problem.
Flatliner
2/3/2013 7:19pm

Break in was slightly more than the tech 10's I had, but nothing to really complain about. I'll end up buying another pair when these wear out.
4stroke4DWIN
2/3/2013 7:26pm
@KGA and Flatliner, you had any problem with the metal toe protector coming loose? I had a pair of boots years ago that had that and came loose and got hung up on my peg.
TheWeapon
Fantasy
68th
2/3/2013 7:29pm
Gaerne's are awesome. I have some SG12's and will not buy another brand. I've tried Alpinestar Tech 7's and Tech 8's. The level of support and...
Gaerne's are awesome. I have some SG12's and will not buy another brand. I've tried Alpinestar Tech 7's and Tech 8's. The level of support and comfort the Gaerne's is really amazing, as well they should be for the price.

The Tech 7 and Tech 8 boots did not last even a single season for each of them. I really liked the bootie offered by the Tech 8, but I had heard a lot of great things about the Gaerne boots and decided to switch.

From my standpoint the price was wroth it.
I had the same problem with tech 8s - had to replace the soles after about 8 months. I have tech 10s now and can't fault them (though I ride a lot less now than I used to). I would never compromise on boots.
Flatliner
2/3/2013 7:50pm
@KGA and Flatliner, you had any problem with the metal toe protector coming loose? I had a pair of boots years ago that had that and...
@KGA and Flatliner, you had any problem with the metal toe protector coming loose? I had a pair of boots years ago that had that and came loose and got hung up on my peg.
Nope, didn't have that issue. They have been solid. Forgot to mention these boots have a bootie.
2/3/2013 7:56pm
Best boot to blow your cash on is a-stars tech 10. They last about 2 solid weeks and fall apart quick. I have worn a-star since I was 16 and in the last 3 seasons I have noticed that the quality of them is shit.

Im going to try the new fox instinct.
4stroke4DWIN
2/3/2013 7:57pm
@KGA and Flatliner, you had any problem with the metal toe protector coming loose? I had a pair of boots years ago that had that and...
Flatliner wrote:
Nope, didn't have that issue. They have been solid. Forgot to mention these boots have a bootie.
Hows the sizing? Are they pretty close to shoe sizes, you know 10.5 is gonna be close to actual 10.5.
Flatliner
2/3/2013 8:13pm
Hows the sizing? Are they pretty close to shoe sizes, you know 10.5 is gonna be close to actual 10.5.
Sizing is good. I wear an 11 shoe and an 11 boot. The whole boot is durable. Like I said, very protection based.
4stroke4DWIN
2/3/2013 8:24pm
Flatliner wrote:
Sizing is good. I wear an 11 shoe and an 11 boot. The whole boot is durable. Like I said, very protection based.
Alright, thanks for the info/help
2/3/2013 9:17pm
Check out the Fox instinct. Super comfy boot and they look solid. Lots of great reviews on them. I did hear a bunch of warranty done on there first batch of white and reds but since then I heard they have been solid.
mx510
Fantasy
1744th
2/3/2013 9:31pm
I have had Astar tech 8s and 10s as well as Gaerne SG10s. I liked the durability of the SG10s but was not a fan of the ankle support. I really liked the tech 8s support but the durability is GARBAGE. For me the Astar Tech 10s have been the best combo of support and durability.
As far as the gear thing goes, you signed the contract bud, live up to it. Also, it might not hurt to professionally voice your concerns about the durability of the gear.
rmpilot
2/3/2013 9:33pm Edited Date/Time 2/3/2013 9:36pm

WFO! wrote:
If you have BIG calves then Gaerne FTW. This is a problem for lots of racers with muscular legs. I cant even get A-stars fastened without...
If you have BIG calves then Gaerne FTW.

This is a problem for lots of racers with muscular legs.
I cant even get A-stars fastened without struggling. And with knee braces? Forget about it.
if i ever had to wear a knee brace, it would be pretty simple. im done wearing motocross boots on that leg. ive also been telling myself to get a new pair of boots for at least three years now and duct around the boot where aa strap broke and cant find another one lol. gaerne boots by the way so i can vouch that work good for big calves.
2/3/2013 9:34pm
What do you consider the line between a boot that is comfortable and broken in vs worn out? Reason I ask is the last few practice...
What do you consider the line between a boot that is comfortable and broken in vs worn out? Reason I ask is the last few practice sessions I've noticed my ankles hurt afterwards. I contribute some of it to being 39 and really ramping up my practice sessions. But, I also have some reservations about my current gear sponsor and the quality of my gear or lack of quality. I've been thru 3 sets of jersey/pants and a boots in less than 6 months. I recently received an offer from another well known gear company, so do you guys think its chicken shit to jump ship in the middle of a contract (morally speaking) or just ride it out and switch at the end of the contract?
Are they paying your to wear there gear or are the giving you a discount?
4stroke4DWIN
2/3/2013 10:22pm
What do you consider the line between a boot that is comfortable and broken in vs worn out? Reason I ask is the last few practice...
Are they paying your to wear there gear or are the giving you a discount?
Lol I wish, just deep discounts.
2/3/2013 10:31pm
If there not paying you and it's coming out of your pocket I say don't worry about the rider support contract. Only thing the gear company will do is stop supporting you. It's your money and you have to worry about how you spend it, that company isn't going to help you pay for your racing, so you have to look out for yourself first, and if that means getting gear from somewhere els that will last longer and help keep money in your pocket you have to do it. I know all about the deep discounts and I promise you the company that is helping you out is still making money off you.
4stroke4DWIN
2/3/2013 10:40pm
If there not paying you and it's coming out of your pocket I say don't worry about the rider support contract. Only thing the gear company...
If there not paying you and it's coming out of your pocket I say don't worry about the rider support contract. Only thing the gear company will do is stop supporting you. It's your money and you have to worry about how you spend it, that company isn't going to help you pay for your racing, so you have to look out for yourself first, and if that means getting gear from somewhere els that will last longer and help keep money in your pocket you have to do it. I know all about the deep discounts and I promise you the company that is helping you out is still making money off you.
Very true, but burning bridges is bad also. I'll probably keep with the pants/jersey and just switch boots.
Choppy
2/3/2013 10:47pm Edited Date/Time 2/3/2013 10:50pm

How tall are you? The reason I ask is because all the insanely tall riders I've known tend to prefer the Gaerne's.
GHR
2/3/2013 11:06pm
I run A-Stars tech 10s and like them. I used to run Asterix Knee Braces but they are toast now. Anyone have good suggestions for knee braces?
4stroke4DWIN
2/4/2013 5:56am

Choppy wrote:
How tall are you? The reason I ask is because all the insanely tall riders I've known tend to prefer the Gaerne's.
6'2 with bird legs lol.
Frodad78
2/4/2013 6:54am

I have the 200 dollar Gaernes and I love them. Probably the most comfortable boot I've ever worn. I Imagine the high end ones are amazing.
cjmx
Fantasy
1187th
2/4/2013 7:06am

I wore the Gaerne's for 5 years. SG10's and then the SG12's. Comfortable boots and great support. However, the soles wear out fast. I had my local cobbler replace the soles with sidi's soles. I switched to the fox instinct boot after trying them on at a local demo and hearing about how well they hold up. After 15 rides the soles still look brand new. They took a few more rides to break in then the gaernes but now they feel perfect.

the gaernes sizes run large. The fox instinct run small. I wear a 10 in gaernes and a 11 in the instinct. Try them on!
IceMan446
2/4/2013 8:45am
Just like any other gear choice it comes down to what fits you best.

For me, the Tech 8s fit perfectly. I never have had an issue with them lasting or falling a part. I also take very good care of my boots.

Gear for me has always been about whats the best deal and what will last. I will buy the MSR lower level stuff and get two sets for the price of the higer end stuff and it seems to last just as long. I also get hooked up at my shop so thats a plus. But if you are sponsored, try another brand if you have the chance. I was fortunate enough to have a TR rep that got me what ever I needed so I had a few options on gear.

I will say this, I wont EVER run fox gear or anything fox related. I tried to get sponsored by them when I was younger and it never happend. Still salty over that! haha
rallendude
2/4/2013 8:50am
Gaernes are the ticket. I haven't ever found anyone who didn't like Gaernes. The post above is the first I'd heard about Gaerne boots soles wearing fast even. I've heard it a ton with Alpinestars. For me, I don't think there is a better boot on the market. I'll buy Gaernes next time around even it if is at retail.

As for gear, are you buying their top of the line model? In most cases, when you step down a level or two to save some money the quality and reliability can really go down. I've worn Oneal gear for years through the same type sponsorship deal you speak of. I'm not a fan of their Element line. It looks good but doesn't hold up near as well as the Hardware line. Their Hardware stuff has earned its name with me. That stuff is rock solid. I think one of the mags did an article several years ago comparing a lot of gear manufacturers jerseys and how they hold up and the Hardware jersey got highest marks for durability and colorfastness.

Anyway, if you want the stuff to last make sure you are using the top level gear. I'd highly recommend the Oneal Hardware line if you're tough on your gear.

I'm considering buying Fly gear this time around. Mainly because they support probably my two favorite riders and it appears to be long term relationships with Short and Canard.

Post a reply to: Lets talk boots/gear

The Latest