Lets talk about it.

Motodave15
7/22/2022 12:49pm Edited Date/Time 7/24/2022 4:59pm

(I don't give a shit about people saying they cant stand to hear gypsy talk, if that's you exit stage left)

For the rest of us fans, I find this a wholly interesting and I think pro motocross has some moves they can make but its going to piss people off. I say Outdoors move to the fall/winter in front of SX.
|
daemon666
7/22/2022 12:50pm
Can’t stand to hear Gypsy talk.
mofomotojoe
7/22/2022 12:54pm Edited Date/Time 7/22/2022 12:55pm
R.I.P
Sincere condolences.

Maybe Infront Racing could find a way to save it and make it profitable again.
RonSkj
Fantasy
141st
7/22/2022 1:07pm
Can’t stand to hear Gypsy talk.
RonSkj
Fantasy
141st
7/22/2022 1:09pm

The Shop

gt80rider
7/22/2022 1:12pm
Some people seem to think that mx/sx can't die... it can... it can become slot cars.... it can become car audio..... especially in today's economic climate...

while it is possible that world sx will help grow moto across the globe... it might go the other direction... if it steals 30 percent of the big name stars from the USA, and an even larger percentage from mxgp (simply because of the $$$$$$$$), two of the three series will be worse off because of it....

I am not looking at this like "this is gonna be awesome, even more high end racing to watch!!!!".... I see this like "hope these idiots don't completely kill off the sport!"....

And if world sx thrives.... then we will be looking at all our riders specializing .... going mx/mxgp only or sx/wsx only.... uggghhhhh... I personally would rather see our top talent racing mx and sx each year.... but I don't see it if world sx takes off.... riders will naturally specialize to maximize how much $$$$$$ they take home each year.... and worse still... I would expect the very top talent to mostly go sx... as there would be a lot more $$$$ to make sx/wsx than doing any form of mx racing.... sigh...
BadBoyBobbyB
7/22/2022 1:13pm
Ok let's talk about it. Yes I agree motocross is either dead or on the fast track to death as a sport. Why? Well to be honest, anyone who raises a small child from 4 years old to breeds them to go as fast as possible around on a motocross track needs a psych evaluation. If you take a pet monkey and make him ride a pocket bike or a bicycle they call it animal abuse. But these promoters are allowed to fill stadiums and make huge money by risking the safety of human beings? I hate to point out the elephant in the room, but these riders are taking on huge injuries year after year. Its just a matter of time until professional MX/SX gets shut down by the government and I can only hope it happens before the next 5-10 Jessy nelsons and brian moreau's surface
Joey_Bridges
7/22/2022 1:25pm
Ok let's talk about it. Yes I agree motocross is either dead or on the fast track to death as a sport. Why? Well to be...
Ok let's talk about it. Yes I agree motocross is either dead or on the fast track to death as a sport. Why? Well to be honest, anyone who raises a small child from 4 years old to breeds them to go as fast as possible around on a motocross track needs a psych evaluation. If you take a pet monkey and make him ride a pocket bike or a bicycle they call it animal abuse. But these promoters are allowed to fill stadiums and make huge money by risking the safety of human beings? I hate to point out the elephant in the room, but these riders are taking on huge injuries year after year. Its just a matter of time until professional MX/SX gets shut down by the government and I can only hope it happens before the next 5-10 Jessy nelsons and brian moreau's surface
While I disagree with your government shutdown statement, I agree fully on the, Roman gladiator aspect of SX racing.
I've said from the very beginning that whoop sections are absolutely unnecessary in track designs.
The consequences are horrific.
Ask Kenny, Colt, DeanO, etc....
alphado
7/22/2022 1:32pm Edited Date/Time 7/22/2022 1:36pm
MX has always been for the hard core fans. Trouble is that they forgot that and tried to make it appeal to the masses. Parking sucks, getting around the track sucks, the porta potties suck and only having a Saturday program makes it tough to drive a long ways for one day. They took away most of the good viewing areas and made them exclusive for VIPs. The cost to get in and grab a bite to eat has made it tough for a blue collar guy to bring his family as well.

SX, you park in a lot in a city that you can usually fly into. You are shielded from the elements, actual rest rooms and you can see the entire race from your seat. Much easier for a casual fan or someone that wants to go out for a night.

I am a huge fan of MX. I watch SX for something to watch in the winter. Always figured that MX/SX fans are mostly riders or related to a rider. It is never going to be mainstream. Keep it core!

Another thing is the cost of bikes. When I was a kid, you could save up enough money from your paper route and buy a bike. Those days are long gone.
Motodave15
7/22/2022 1:33pm
gt80rider wrote:
Some people seem to think that mx/sx can't die... it can... it can become slot cars.... it can become car audio..... especially in today's economic climate...

while it is possible that world sx will help grow moto across the globe... it might go the other direction... if it steals 30 percent of the big name stars from the USA, and an even larger percentage from mxgp (simply because of the $$$$$$$$), two of the three series will be worse off because of it....

I am not looking at this like "this is gonna be awesome, even more high end racing to watch!!!!".... I see this like "hope these idiots don't completely kill off the sport!"....

And if world sx thrives.... then we will be looking at all our riders specializing .... going mx/mxgp only or sx/wsx only.... uggghhhhh... I personally would rather see our top talent racing mx and sx each year.... but I don't see it if world sx takes off.... riders will naturally specialize to maximize how much $$$$$$ they take home each year.... and worse still... I would expect the very top talent to mostly go sx... as there would be a lot more $$$$ to make sx/wsx than doing any form of mx racing.... sigh...
That's a interesting Take, i never even considered makes alot of sense though.

as for badboybobby, I honestly feel like theres so many other problems facing the untied states from the local level to the national level that, this is a reach. Hoever i do agree, that some parents need evaluation before pretty much any sport endeavor lol
TahoeVetMX
7/22/2022 1:39pm
First, it is great to have these podcasts that allow different opinions! Next, we all knew this was coming many years ago! We talked about it on this message board when Feld used to express their desires to expand SX into the summer. Now it is something bigger coming and US motocross is the victim. Honestly, I think no matter how it happened this would be the outcome. Sure, this might mean that next year 15 of the top 20 riders will not race Pro Motocross and well that is ok with me. It is time to consider two different sports here. SX riders and MX riders. After all, MXGP is just that and those guys have increased their speed over the years. Pro motocross will just have to rebuild with new riders but don't think of it as doom and gloom. Now Pro motocross will be able to set their own schedule and not fall into line with any SX schedules. It will now be possible to add FL, TX, and TN to the schedule. I encourage those running the sport to look forward and get creative. Motocross is still the sport that we ride and most people who buy bikes don't ride SX!
Skerby
7/22/2022 1:41pm
Im not totally opposed to gypsy and his style. Sleeter is, at least to me, one of the hardest guys to listen to in moto.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
806th
7/22/2022 1:47pm
I've fought through the Gypsy guy to listen to some of his guests, but 15 minutes with Sleeter?

BadBoyBobbyB
7/22/2022 1:48pm
badboy, do you even like dirt bikes?
I love motorcycles, what I don't love is having to live with these serious injuries for the rest of my life because I got sucked into the "mx industry" as a young kid. Fortunately I made out a lot better off then others.
daemon666
7/22/2022 1:49pm Edited Date/Time 7/22/2022 1:50pm
gt80rider wrote:

omg slot cars were SO FUN!!! My dad took it next level. That's how I learned how to solder. Those things were sick and fast AF. Damn I can close my eyes and remember the smell at the slot car place.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
806th
7/22/2022 1:55pm
badboy, do you even like dirt bikes?
I love motorcycles, what I don't love is having to live with these serious injuries for the rest of my life because I got sucked into...
I love motorcycles, what I don't love is having to live with these serious injuries for the rest of my life because I got sucked into the "mx industry" as a young kid. Fortunately I made out a lot better off then others.
You seem bitter at the industry and generally miserable, which begs the question why are you spending time in a motocross forum? Delete your account and go find something you enjoy that makes you happy.
Johnny Ringo
7/22/2022 1:56pm
Ok let's talk about it. Yes I agree motocross is either dead or on the fast track to death as a sport. Why? Well to be...
Sooo what was your original user name here
SteveUrchin
Fantasy
1034th
7/22/2022 1:57pm
If you attend a motocross National this summer you will see with all the fans motocross is not dead just because it has a shitty TV situation this summer and might not be growing like some other sports doesn’t mean it’s dying…how many races has Gypsy been to in the last year?
Magoofan
Shadow Glen (for those who remember), CA US
7/22/2022 2:04pm
I'd rather listen to the mooing cows on The View than listen to GT.....

7/22/2022 2:15pm Edited Date/Time 7/22/2022 2:17pm
alphado wrote:
MX has always been for the hard core fans. Trouble is that they forgot that and tried to make it appeal to the masses. Parking sucks...
MX has always been for the hard core fans. Trouble is that they forgot that and tried to make it appeal to the masses. Parking sucks, getting around the track sucks, the porta potties suck and only having a Saturday program makes it tough to drive a long ways for one day. They took away most of the good viewing areas and made them exclusive for VIPs. The cost to get in and grab a bite to eat has made it tough for a blue collar guy to bring his family as well.

SX, you park in a lot in a city that you can usually fly into. You are shielded from the elements, actual rest rooms and you can see the entire race from your seat. Much easier for a casual fan or someone that wants to go out for a night.

I am a huge fan of MX. I watch SX for something to watch in the winter. Always figured that MX/SX fans are mostly riders or related to a rider. It is never going to be mainstream. Keep it core!

Another thing is the cost of bikes. When I was a kid, you could save up enough money from your paper route and buy a bike. Those days are long gone.
Way back in 1978 my Yz80 was $699, basically 10 weeks wage.
Fast forward 2022 the yz85 is $8,000, almost 13 weeks of my lazy arse sons wage.
I don't think money is that much of the issue,

I think its more the access to riding areas, I used to jump on the bike ride about a 1 km to several open area's full of other riders.
Without to much bother from the police.
Moto Nomad
7/22/2022 2:29pm
Dude, you're so negative about the sport. Why are you here exactly? What's the point of coming on here to bitch about this and that about motocross? And your profile pic is way out of place on a moto forum. This is a place for people that like motocross, to state the completely obvious.

Magoofan
Shadow Glen (for those who remember), CA US
7/22/2022 2:48pm
Way back in 1978 my Yz80 was $699, basically 10 weeks wage. Fast forward 2022 the yz85 is $8,000, almost 13 weeks of my lazy arse...
Way back in 1978 my Yz80 was $699, basically 10 weeks wage.
Fast forward 2022 the yz85 is $8,000, almost 13 weeks of my lazy arse sons wage.
I don't think money is that much of the issue,

I think its more the access to riding areas, I used to jump on the bike ride about a 1 km to several open area's full of other riders.
Without to much bother from the police.
Interesting numbers actually.

Broken down to a "40 hr work week"....that's roughly $15.38 per hour in 2022 and $1.75 per hour in 1978.

BadBoyBobbyB
7/22/2022 2:57pm
Moto Nomad wrote:
Dude, you're so negative about the sport. Why are you here exactly? What's the point of coming on here to bitch about this and that about...
Dude, you're so negative about the sport. Why are you here exactly? What's the point of coming on here to bitch about this and that about motocross? And your profile pic is way out of place on a moto forum. This is a place for people that like motocross, to state the completely obvious.

Supercross is basically a blood sport. I wouldn't feel bad about speaking the truth on cockfighting in a cockfighting forum. I'm glad you enjoy watching the races. I know plenty of other people who enjoyed it also before they had to push their kid around in a chair for the rest of their lives.

And so what if my profile pic is a young Boe Fiden. This is brandon's world and your just living in it
7/22/2022 3:01pm
All sports should just get shut down then...
The riders aren't forced to ride, no extortion. They know and sign the dotted line for the risks.
One of the most clown statements I've read in awhile.
hubbardmx50
7/22/2022 3:07pm
You're not wrong in a sense but, come on dude. I'm pretty sure there are downsides in every sport. Hell, I remember a couple years ago reading a thread on here a guy posted who had quit riding because it was too dangerous, then broke the shit out of his leg playing softball. Cost, risk and lack of riding areas have always been and continue to be a problem for a lot of people. I think moto does well in high populated states where there are a lot of tracks like CA and TX. You have to be really into this to make it worthwhile no doubt but we do it because we love it. As far as attendance at the nationals this year I can't speak for any of the other tracks but Pala was packed.
Moto Nomad
Moto Nomad wrote:
Dude, you're so negative about the sport. Why are you here exactly? What's the point of coming on here to bitch about this and that about...

Supercross is basically a blood sport. I wouldn't feel bad about speaking the truth on cockfighting in a cockfighting forum. I'm glad you enjoy watching the...
Supercross is basically a blood sport. I wouldn't feel bad about speaking the truth on cockfighting in a cockfighting forum. I'm glad you enjoy watching the races. I know plenty of other people who enjoyed it also before they had to push their kid around in a chair for the rest of their lives.

And so what if my profile pic is a young Boe Fiden. This is brandon's world and your just living in it
It seems you had a bad experience by being forced into it or having it pushed on you. That is one negative aspect of the sport. I was in the opposite situation, trying to dedicate my life to racing but having no family support. I was always jealous of the kids whose parents were so into it, but there is always another side of the coin.
I will say that lots of things have changed since I started racing in 1980 (last race was in 2020). Tracks and bikes are faster but our bodies are the same. And I have recently had a lot of second thoughts since the age of the Internet, where you see so much. However, I don't see the point of constantly reminding people of the dark side of the sport on a motocross forum. We all know the risks of the sport (consider the fate of OCS Scottie). There is no other sport like motocross, and part of that is the gladiator aspect. For the most part, nobody is forced to do it.
BadBoyBobbyB
All sports should just get shut down then... The riders aren't forced to ride, no extortion. They know and sign the dotted line for the risks...
The riders aren't forced to ride, no extortion. They know and sign the dotted line for the risks.
Uhhh. I think motocross does a little bit more damage to humans and ruins more lives than "any other sport." Its honestly sad the kids who get sucked in and exploited. I'm willing to bet the lifespan of the sport is only a few more years unless serious changes are made with safety
7/22/2022 3:11pm
All sports should just get shut down then... The riders aren't forced to ride, no extortion. They know and sign the dotted line for the risks...
Uhhh. I think motocross does a little bit more damage to humans and ruins more lives than "any other sport." Its honestly sad the kids who...
Uhhh. I think motocross does a little bit more damage to humans and ruins more lives than "any other sport." Its honestly sad the kids who get sucked in and exploited. I'm willing to bet the lifespan of the sport is only a few more years unless serious changes are made with safety
MotoGP, Boxing, bull riding, bull fighting, MMA, freestyle skiing/snowboarding/skateboarding/bmx, football, rugby, solo rockclimbing, base jumping, skydiving are all dangerous too...
bichwolf
7/22/2022 3:14pm Edited Date/Time 7/22/2022 3:18pm
Truthbomb
However, seems big brother no longer wants us doing preventive care. They don't mind (maybe prefer) a lot of people die. It's more affordable. Yeah, actually we're reeling towards Thunder Dome. SX does need alligator pits.

Post a reply to: Lets talk about it.

The Latest