Let's see your 8ft/long bed truck

nytsmaC
4/11/2018 2:20pm
mxbrian15 wrote:
After 2 diesels you went with a gasser it looks like. What made you decide to switch? Been thinking about doing the same once I finally...
After 2 diesels you went with a gasser it looks like. What made you decide to switch? Been thinking about doing the same once I finally decide to part ways with my old 12v Cummins.
After a Duramax, a Powerstroke and a Cummins I went with a gasser. Reason being a diesel sucks as a daily driver if you don’t need it. By not needing it I mean not pulling 10,000lbs on a regular basis.

Sure the fuel mileage sucks on a 2500/3500 gasser but the $10,000 saved at time of purchase buys a lot of gas, and I’m not terrified to own this thing beyond my warranty coverage. No more diesels for me, thank you very much, unless we can go back in time to 2002.
nytsmaC
4/11/2018 3:31pm Edited Date/Time 4/11/2018 3:35pm
I really liked the Ram, it was a nice truck. I got rid of it because I had transmission troubles, followed by a leaking front diff housing, and they left me without a truck while mine was in the shop for warranty. I had to go buy a beater truck to use while they had mine. When I first dropped it off they didn’t even have a courtesy car for me, they just offered me a ride home.
As soon as I got it back I took it to my trusty GM dealer and traded it in. That was my failed experiment as a Dodge owner. I’ve never been left stranded as a GM owner, always gotten excellent service from them.

I’m very happy with the GMC, I won’t say it’s nicer than the Ram, they are pretty comparable. Both have their pluses and minuses.
Asimo
4/11/2018 3:51pm
Interesting to read thread since so many are off the diesel bandwagon now. Even old diesel diehards are going back to gas with new rigs and keeping their old 7.3s and pre emissions 24V's.
Same thing most posted is Mostly because none of the new ones get the mileage they used to and gassers being about the same, and diesel fuel isnt a bargain anymore. Here it is currently 10-30 cents a gallon more.

Ford is coming out with a 7.0 V8 gasser supposedly, and it wouldnt surprise me to see down the road GM to bring back the 8.1/Alllison combo but in a 502 Version like the boats have. Those engines are beast engines and reliable as hell.

Dodge should drop the 8.4 Viper engine in a truck with 645 HP stock. or they should all just turbo all these gassers. Good mileage and huge torque numbers. If diesels werent turboed they would suck.

The Shop

Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2058th
4/11/2018 4:17pm
I'm in the same boat as you guys. The diesel is nice, it's cool, has power, and better mileage. But other than that everything else is a negative.

What really amazed me was the price of used 1/2 ton trucks compared to used heavy duty trucks.

2005+ 4x4 extended cab/4 door f150 with 160,000+ miles owned by younger guys are in the $8000-12000 range.
The truck I bought is a 2006 fx4 f350, regular cab with electric windows, locks, and mirrors, vinyl floors and seats (Which I prefer over carpet and cloth)111,000 miles owned by the forestry service and an older man. Picked it up for $7400.

The newer f150 has the advantage of gas mileage but the older used ones all share the same 5.4 gas engine. Why not have the bigger truck for less??

And don't even look at the small trucks like tacomas and colorados. Those are ridiculously expensive and they don't get great mileage either.
Asimo
4/11/2018 4:23pm
For me I like both brands more than the Ram, but I do like the Mega Cab option.
With a standard crew cab and short or long bed, Id stick with Ford or GM or Chevy(whichever front end you like I guess)

If I could go back, I would buy a new 2007 or whatever the first year was of Mega Cab of the Prior Body style. It was clean, rugged and just a good looking truck.

Whoever mentioned it above, people say Chevy and GM dealers stand behind their stuff more than the Dodge dealers here also. Never actually had to go back to the dealer for anything so I'll just take their word for it.
mxbrian15
4/11/2018 6:44pm
Meister wrote:
I've also had a 7.3, so make that 3. Lol. Alot of consideration went into it and a lot more research. I tow my camper 5-7...
I've also had a 7.3, so make that 3. Lol.

Alot of consideration went into it and a lot more research. I tow my camper 5-7 times a year. The rest of the year it's a daily driver with alot of mixed driving. Right off the bat, $10,000 less is reason enough. Much cheaper oil changes. No DEF. No fuel filters. No diesel all over my hands when filling up. No additives. No freaking hassle. I wasn't about to speend 50k on a comparable truck to what I bought, then 2k + to delete it to get acceptable mileage, all while killing my factory warranty. I'm getting 13.5mpg. Itd take me years and years for mpg of a deleted diesel to make up for my little lower mpg. My wife wanted loaded, so I bought a lariat ultimate. It's sweet. I like it so much I'm contemplating trading in on the exact same thing but new body style.

Don't let the gas engine fool you into thinking they aren't good at towing. The only thing I had to get used to was higher RPMs. I was very used to low rpm of the diesel but the gas motor makes peak hp at 4500rpm. I think this truck tows my 31' camper just as well as my lifted duramax. The 6.2 is rated to tow 12,500 in most scenarios. Exactly the same as a 7.3 to put it in perspective.

If I had a 40' + 5th wheel, and pulled it all over, I'd definitely buy another diesel. But I don't, so I don't need it, and I'm way past the "cool" factor in life. I will be buying a 5th wheel toy hauler but I'm gonna stay around 10-11k and I'll pull it with my gas truck just fine. When I travel, I'm not racing to my destination.

Bottom line, if you NEED a hd truck but don't tow every day, there's no real reason to spend an extra 10k on atruck other than trying to be cool.

I wrote the 6.0 gm off quickly. Old n out dated. The 6.4 hemi and the 6.2 we're at the leader board. I chose Ford because the fit and finish seemed to be much better quality than the ram. I did like the motor though and it may have a hair more nuts than my 6.2, but I'd do it all over again the same way.
I here ya! I love my 12v Cummins ext cab longbed (130,000 miles), and have been told by everyone I know not to sell, but a new 6.4 with 4.10 gears sounds pretty nice too. Don’t think I’ll go diesel again either just because of all the crap I here everyone talk about. Not as reliable and cheap as they used to be. Just all the modern upgrades seem nice, and the new trucks just seem to drive nicer.

Nice looking truck BTW!
SteveUrchin
Fantasy
1025th
4/11/2018 8:31pm
Meister wrote:
I've also had a 7.3, so make that 3. Lol. Alot of consideration went into it and a lot more research. I tow my camper 5-7...

Alot of consideration went into it and a lot more research. I tow my camper 5-7 times a year. The rest of the year it's a daily driver with alot of mixed driving. Right off the bat, $10,000 less is reason enough. Much cheaper oil changes. No DEF. No fuel filters. No diesel all over my hands when filling up. No additives. No freaking hassle. I wasn't about to speend 50k on a comparable truck to what I bought, then 2k + to delete it to get acceptable mileage, all while killing my factory warranty. I'm getting 13.5mpg. Itd take me years and years for mpg of a deleted diesel to make up for my little lower mpg. My wife wanted loaded, so I bought a lariat ultimate. It's sweet. I like it so much I'm contemplating trading in on the exact same thing but new body style.

Don't let the gas engine fool you into thinking they aren't good at towing. The only thing I had to get used to was higher RPMs. I was very used to low rpm of the diesel but the gas motor makes peak hp at 4500rpm. I think this truck tows my 31' camper just as well as my lifted duramax. The 6.2 is rated to tow 12,500 in most scenarios. Exactly the same as a 7.3 to put it in perspective.

If I had a 40' + 5th wheel, and pulled it all over, I'd definitely buy another diesel. But I don't, so I don't need it, and I'm way past the "cool" factor in life. I will be buying a 5th wheel toy hauler but I'm gonna stay around 10-11k and I'll pull it with my gas truck just fine. When I travel, I'm not racing to my destination.

Bottom line, if you NEED a hd truck but don't tow every day, there's no real reason to spend an extra 10k on atruck other than trying to be cool.

I wrote the 6.0 gm off quickly. Old n out dated. The 6.4 hemi and the 6.2 we're at the leader board. I chose Ford because the fit and finish seemed to be much better quality than the ram. I did like the motor though and it may have a hair more nuts than my 6.2, but I'd do it all over again the same way.
mxbrian15 wrote:
I here ya! I love my 12v Cummins ext cab longbed (130,000 miles), and have been told by everyone I know not to sell, but a...
I here ya! I love my 12v Cummins ext cab longbed (130,000 miles), and have been told by everyone I know not to sell, but a new 6.4 with 4.10 gears sounds pretty nice too. Don’t think I’ll go diesel again either just because of all the crap I here everyone talk about. Not as reliable and cheap as they used to be. Just all the modern upgrades seem nice, and the new trucks just seem to drive nicer.

Nice looking truck BTW!
I work at Cummins and it brings me joy to hear that it’s getting used to haul a dirtbike!!
mxbrian15
4/12/2018 4:18am
I work at Cummins and it brings me joy to hear that it’s getting used to haul a dirtbike!!
Haul dirt bikes, tow the travel trailer, daily driver, newborn baby hauler, and grocery getter Wink
Bramlett321
4/12/2018 4:53am
My old one, and my new one. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/04/08/254337/s1200_B149154E_E9C1_4FC7_8CC3_EBCFACD4E4B4.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/04/08/254338/s1200_82798AD4_B805_4B90_9F52_FB2F87A2E602.jpg[/img]
My old one, and my new one.

That OBS square body 1 ton powerstroke.....My favorite ride right there. Talk about a truck that's stood the test of time and value. Those things sell for almost retail in good condition.
Bramlett321
4/12/2018 5:01am
Meister wrote:

Man interesting choice to go with the Ford based on the fit and finish compared to the Ram. I love both trucks but after having a couple of the Longhorn Rams it's like driving a Mercedes truck. I stepped down to the 1/2 ton Rebel and absolutely love that thing, it's more of an impersonator truck and a Raptor wannabe. Just a little more of an aggressive look to it and the ride is amazing. Wasn't knocking your choice just interesting how we differ on the little things.
ehr400
4/12/2018 7:09am Edited Date/Time 4/12/2018 7:11am
Asimo wrote:
Interesting to read thread since so many are off the diesel bandwagon now. Even old diesel diehards are going back to gas with new rigs and...
Interesting to read thread since so many are off the diesel bandwagon now. Even old diesel diehards are going back to gas with new rigs and keeping their old 7.3s and pre emissions 24V's.
Same thing most posted is Mostly because none of the new ones get the mileage they used to and gassers being about the same, and diesel fuel isnt a bargain anymore. Here it is currently 10-30 cents a gallon more.

Ford is coming out with a 7.0 V8 gasser supposedly, and it wouldnt surprise me to see down the road GM to bring back the 8.1/Alllison combo but in a 502 Version like the boats have. Those engines are beast engines and reliable as hell.

Dodge should drop the 8.4 Viper engine in a truck with 645 HP stock. or they should all just turbo all these gassers. Good mileage and huge torque numbers. If diesels werent turboed they would suck.

Ford is going to be coming out with a 7.3L gasser for the 2019 SD lineup. All new engine from what I am hearing...

GM has a new gasser on the way too from what my buddy said, next gen LS based BB.
Meister
4/12/2018 7:30am
Bram, the only ram interior that I felt was up to par with the Ford lariats is the Long Horn. I searched high and low for a 6.4 2500/3500 Long Horn but came up empty. Found plenty with the 5.7 but that's not what I wanted.
Wintyfresh
5/9/2018 8:28am

Love being able to put the tailgate up with bikes in the bed, especially when towing a toy hauler!
JAFO92
5/9/2018 9:18am
mxbrian15 wrote:
I here ya! I love my 12v Cummins ext cab longbed (130,000 miles), and have been told by everyone I know not to sell, but a...

Nice looking truck BTW!
My 2015 is the 6.4 with 4.10s and works great.
DEMONDAVE
5/9/2018 10:34am

long beds provide way better hauling area than short beds IMO

Post a reply to: Let's see your 8ft/long bed truck

The Latest