Let's see/review those 2019 kx450s

slipdog
7/18/2019 7:06pm
999 wrote:
Did my forks today. Drained out about 590cc total so not as bad as some of you guys but still a little low. The oil was...
Did my forks today. Drained out about 590cc total so not as bad as some of you guys but still a little low. The oil was nasty though, black and brown mess.
That's right on the money. 310 is stock and no matter how thorough you are you always leave a film of oil on everything, spring, tubes, cartridge, bushings, etc.. that amounts to about 15cc. I have checked 3 and 295cc came out of all of them so that would be 310 per side.
7/18/2019 7:10pm
999 wrote:
Did my forks today. Drained out about 590cc total so not as bad as some of you guys but still a little low. The oil was...
Did my forks today. Drained out about 590cc total so not as bad as some of you guys but still a little low. The oil was nasty though, black and brown mess.
slipdog wrote:
That's right on the money. 310 is stock and no matter how thorough you are you always leave a film of oil on everything, spring, tubes...
That's right on the money. 310 is stock and no matter how thorough you are you always leave a film of oil on everything, spring, tubes, cartridge, bushings, etc.. that amounts to about 15cc. I have checked 3 and 295cc came out of all of them so that would be 310 per side.
Cool, good to know. I filled back up to 320 on each side, hoping I could open up the compression a bit more without bottoming.
7/18/2019 7:12pm
999 wrote:
Titan777 wrote:
How many hours with the stock oil?
10 hours
Titan777
7/18/2019 7:34pm Edited Date/Time 7/18/2019 7:38pm
999 wrote:
slipdog wrote:
That's right on the money. 310 is stock and no matter how thorough you are you always leave a film of oil on everything, spring, tubes...
Can this be done on Showa SFF (KX250F) without any special tools? (there's one leg with 2 places of oil).
Just looking to change oil. Wondering if I can do it by myself.

The Shop

lawson34
7/18/2019 8:07pm
999 wrote:
slipdog wrote:
999 wrote:
Cool, good to know. I filled back up to 320 on each side, hoping I could open up the compression a bit more without bottoming.
Did u just drain the oil or did u pull them apart and change cartridge oil?
7/18/2019 8:22pm
slipdog wrote:
999 wrote:
lawson34 wrote:
Did u just drain the oil or did u pull them apart and change cartridge oil?
I just did the outer tube
slipdog
7/18/2019 8:28pm
999 wrote:
slipdog wrote:
Titan777 wrote:
Can this be done on Showa SFF (KX250F) without any special tools? (there's one leg with 2 places of oil). Just looking to change oil. Wondering...
Can this be done on Showa SFF (KX250F) without any special tools? (there's one leg with 2 places of oil).
In a nutshell, no, you just need the fork cap wrench to unscrew the caps and a 19mm socket for the base bolts. The damper side base bolt will slide out easily because there's no spring and a 17mm wrench will break loose the lock nut for the base bolt and you can remove the cartridge and drain the fluid from the tube. A 32mm socket will remove the compression valve from the cartridge and you can drain that fluid as well.

You use the same process to remove the spring cartridge but it requires a lot of force to push the base bolt out because of the spring and you'll need a second 17mm wrench to slide onto the ledge of the lock nut to hold it out against the spring force, then use the other 17mm to break loose the lock nut and then take out the spring and cartridge and drain the oil from the tubes.

I'd look for a Youtube to make sense of what I just wrote if you're a little hesitant, that will help you understand the process of refilling and bleeding the cartridge.
DB97
7/19/2019 12:30pm
I decided to ball out and get fancy oil. Wanted to try since some oils can act weird with clutches supposedly. Figure if rekluse made it should be good for my torq drive. Should be set for the year lol.
richter28
Fantasy
156th
7/19/2019 2:33pm
MX558 wrote:
I'm a die hard Yamaha guy . This is the first kawie and have to say it's by far the best bike I've ever ridden...
I'm a die hard Yamaha guy . This is the first kawie and have to say it's by far the best bike I've ever ridden . The harder you push it the better it gets . Although I'm old slow guy this thing rocks
See, we tried to tell you for years... Laughing
Titan777
7/19/2019 3:16pm
slipdog wrote:
Titan777 wrote:
Can this be done on Showa SFF (KX250F) without any special tools? (there's one leg with 2 places of oil). Just looking to change oil. Wondering...
slipdog wrote:
In a nutshell, no, you just need the fork cap wrench to unscrew the caps and a 19mm socket for the base bolts. The damper side...
In a nutshell, no, you just need the fork cap wrench to unscrew the caps and a 19mm socket for the base bolts. The damper side base bolt will slide out easily because there's no spring and a 17mm wrench will break loose the lock nut for the base bolt and you can remove the cartridge and drain the fluid from the tube. A 32mm socket will remove the compression valve from the cartridge and you can drain that fluid as well.

You use the same process to remove the spring cartridge but it requires a lot of force to push the base bolt out because of the spring and you'll need a second 17mm wrench to slide onto the ledge of the lock nut to hold it out against the spring force, then use the other 17mm to break loose the lock nut and then take out the spring and cartridge and drain the oil from the tubes.

I'd look for a Youtube to make sense of what I just wrote if you're a little hesitant, that will help you understand the process of refilling and bleeding the cartridge.
Thanks man!

Is it any good if I only do the outer tubes?
Do I still need to deal with the spring?
Thought I can just remove the cap on both legs and let it drain. Refill and done.
lawson34
7/20/2019 10:42am
I'm almost to cape Canaveral for a week any motocross to be spectated
slipdog
7/20/2019 11:33am
Titan777 wrote:
Thanks man! Is it any good if I only do the outer tubes? Do I still need to deal with the spring? Thought I can just...
Thanks man!

Is it any good if I only do the outer tubes?
Do I still need to deal with the spring?
Thought I can just remove the cap on both legs and let it drain. Refill and done.
You can just do that but you won't get all the oil out without removing the cartridges and extending the tubes all the way to drain the oil between the inner and outer tubes. Maybe if you let them sit upsidedown overnight it will migrate out. That will clear the debris that can accelerate wear on the internal parts but performance wise the damper fluid needs to be replaced as well.
Titan777
7/20/2019 4:23pm
slipdog wrote:
You can just do that but you won't get all the oil out without removing the cartridges and extending the tubes all the way to drain...
You can just do that but you won't get all the oil out without removing the cartridges and extending the tubes all the way to drain the oil between the inner and outer tubes. Maybe if you let them sit upsidedown overnight it will migrate out. That will clear the debris that can accelerate wear on the internal parts but performance wise the damper fluid needs to be replaced as well.
Thanks! I think I'll pay ~$100 for a professional shop to change my oil (price not including oil). I assume it's a good deal. (probably looking at $150 total with oil and express shipping both ways).
slipdog
7/20/2019 6:19pm
Titan777 wrote:
Thanks! I think I'll pay ~$100 for a professional shop to change my oil (price not including oil). I assume it's a good deal. (probably looking...
Thanks! I think I'll pay ~$100 for a professional shop to change my oil (price not including oil). I assume it's a good deal. (probably looking at $150 total with oil and express shipping both ways).
That's a fair price for a professional service, I'm in California and I charge $110 for a service, $95 for labor and $15 for KYB 01M fork oil.
Indy mxer
7/21/2019 6:16pm
Got my new 19 KX 450 done today. Looking forward to spinning some laps. Being 5'6" and 62 years old the electric start will be a blessing. lol

lawson34
7/21/2019 6:28pm
Indy mxer wrote:
Got my new 19 KX 450 done today. Looking forward to spinning some laps. Being 5'6" and 62 years old the electric start will be a...
Got my new 19 KX 450 done today. Looking forward to spinning some laps. Being 5'6" and 62 years old the electric start will be a blessing. lol

Sweet lookin ride
7/21/2019 7:09pm

Finally picked up a ‘19! After riding a ‘14 KX450 for the past 5 years, all I can say is wow! In stock form the ‘19 is so much better. Have a quick question, when washing the bike do you need to do anything different since it has the battery??
mxer613
7/21/2019 7:17pm
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/07/21/361796/s1200_D4AF3EDD_7782_4D6A_9F99_7149D3BE928B.jpg[/img] Finally picked up a ‘19! After riding a ‘14 KX450 for the past 5 years, all I can say is wow! In stock form the...

Finally picked up a ‘19! After riding a ‘14 KX450 for the past 5 years, all I can say is wow! In stock form the ‘19 is so much better. Have a quick question, when washing the bike do you need to do anything different since it has the battery??
I always blow dry mine with my leaf blower, it works great.
beamer
7/21/2019 8:25pm
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/07/21/361796/s1200_D4AF3EDD_7782_4D6A_9F99_7149D3BE928B.jpg[/img] Finally picked up a ‘19! After riding a ‘14 KX450 for the past 5 years, all I can say is wow! In stock form the...

Keep the pressure away from under the seat, I leave the seat on using the pressure washer. Give it the garden hose treatment if you want to wash under there, compressed air to give it a bit more of a drying but I usually just wipe everything down.
Greenguy
7/22/2019 1:01pm
Looking for an after market shock reservoir cap for my '19. My '18 FC one is too small. FC hasn't produced them for the '19 yet and PC doesn't list them. Just tired of the needle setup.
DB97
7/22/2019 1:04pm
Greenguy wrote:
Looking for an after market shock reservoir cap for my '19. My '18 FC one is too small. FC hasn't produced them for the '19 yet...
Looking for an after market shock reservoir cap for my '19. My '18 FC one is too small. FC hasn't produced them for the '19 yet and PC doesn't list them. Just tired of the needle setup.
Pc has one just call them. Or pull up the 19 kx450 suspension sheet the part number is at the bottom.
GW83
7/22/2019 1:38pm
GW83 wrote:
Anyone have an issue with their Rekluse clutch making strange noises? Mine makes a strange whirling noise but I only hear it when in the air...
Anyone have an issue with their Rekluse clutch making strange noises? Mine makes a strange whirling noise but I only hear it when in the air, while jumping. I’m also running the Rekluse Radius CX Auto clutch but it has some similar internals as the Rekluse Torque Drive. I do have the TM slider and chain guide and I greased the upper chain roller... It’s strange, the clutch function fine but makes this noise in the air. I have not done the clutch rod mod but I don’t think that’s the problem, it makes noise from the first lap and I really don’t ride that hard anymore... +50 vet rider... Also, I never heard this noise on my 2016.
DB97 wrote:
Probably the lower tm roller thing is noisy in the air until it wears in.
DB, you nailed it. The noise that I thought was coming from my clutch was actually just the lower TM Design chain roller. I threw the stock OEM roller on and got in one moto Sunday before it rained here. No noise with the stock roller. I can live with the noise now that I know it’s “normal”. Time to reinstall the TM roller.... Thanks!!!
DB97
7/22/2019 1:42pm
GW83 wrote:
Anyone have an issue with their Rekluse clutch making strange noises? Mine makes a strange whirling noise but I only hear it when in the air...
Anyone have an issue with their Rekluse clutch making strange noises? Mine makes a strange whirling noise but I only hear it when in the air, while jumping. I’m also running the Rekluse Radius CX Auto clutch but it has some similar internals as the Rekluse Torque Drive. I do have the TM slider and chain guide and I greased the upper chain roller... It’s strange, the clutch function fine but makes this noise in the air. I have not done the clutch rod mod but I don’t think that’s the problem, it makes noise from the first lap and I really don’t ride that hard anymore... +50 vet rider... Also, I never heard this noise on my 2016.
DB97 wrote:
GW83 wrote:
DB, you nailed it. The noise that I thought was coming from my clutch was actually just the lower TM Design chain roller. I threw the...
DB, you nailed it. The noise that I thought was coming from my clutch was actually just the lower TM Design chain roller. I threw the stock OEM roller on and got in one moto Sunday before it rained here. No noise with the stock roller. I can live with the noise now that I know it’s “normal”. Time to reinstall the TM roller.... Thanks!!!
No problem glad you figured it out. It does get less noisy once it wears some. It's really tight between the roller and slider when new.
Greenguy
7/22/2019 2:26pm
Greenguy wrote:
Looking for an after market shock reservoir cap for my '19. My '18 FC one is too small. FC hasn't produced them for the '19 yet...
DB97 wrote:
Pc has one just call them. Or pull up the 19 kx450 suspension sheet the part number is at the bottom.
Thanks I was looking in the wrong section.
GW83
7/22/2019 2:57pm
DB97 wrote:
GW83 wrote:
DB, you nailed it. The noise that I thought was coming from my clutch was actually just the lower TM Design chain roller. I threw the...
DB97 wrote:
No problem glad you figured it out. It does get less noisy once it wears some. It's really tight between the roller and slider when new.
Cool. Good to hear.
colvin227
7/22/2019 4:37pm
Greenguy wrote:
Ridejbi.com has them and they are really nice and green even. JB is an awesome dude I’d look there first.
D_Mash336
7/22/2019 5:49pm
DB97 wrote:
Yeah that's why I don't.
I saw axle hodges relocates his start button. its behind the right radiator shroud.
DB97
7/23/2019 4:21am
D_Mash336 wrote:
I saw axle hodges relocates his start button. its behind the right radiator shroud.
I haven't tried on the 19 but previous years everything fit but the launch button.
richter28
Fantasy
156th
7/23/2019 7:50am
DB97 wrote:
I haven't tried on the 19 but previous years everything fit but the launch button.
I just took the launch control button off, and put a rubber cap on the connector on the side of the frame. I just didn't think it made a big difference for me. But now I can fit everything else and handguards on twinwalls just fine.
Greenguy
7/23/2019 7:58am
DB97 wrote:
richter28 wrote:
I just took the launch control button off, and put a rubber cap on the connector on the side of the frame. I just didn't think...
I just took the launch control button off, and put a rubber cap on the connector on the side of the frame. I just didn't think it made a big difference for me. But now I can fit everything else and handguards on twinwalls just fine.
I did the same.

Post a reply to: Let's see/review those 2019 kx450s

The Latest