Let's see/review those 2019 kx450s

Related:
Create New Tag

9/8/2018 7:49 PM

Works Connection has the extended ones in stock now. They're going to make a stock type also, but its about three weeks out.

|

9/8/2018 8:15 PM

stevemartin wrote:

I love my ‘19 450. I’ve been looking for a full coverage skid plate. I know the stock kawi ‘18 ski plate fits, has anyone tried an aftermarket skid plate?

Works Connection has a full cover aluminum skid plate available currently.

|

9/8/2018 8:59 PM

stevemartin wrote:

I love my ‘19 450. I’ve been looking for a full coverage skid plate. I know the stock kawi ‘18 ski plate fits, has anyone tried an aftermarket skid plate?

I ended up buying the cycra one that is black and made of plastic. Pretty solid, but the pipe did melt it some. It really needs to be trimmed by where the header drops down. No biggie I’ll eventually trim it.

|

9/8/2018 10:05 PM

stevemartin wrote:

Also wondering

|

9/8/2018 10:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/8/2018 10:55 PM

Idk how I feel about the rear skid plate bolts sticking out like that, all my skid plates in the past have had them setback so everything is flush
|

9/9/2018 5:47 AM

Brosho wrote:

Can you guys remove the seats and take pictures of the subframes under the seat. I have yet to see pics of what it looks like under the seat and how the seat contact the subframe, and how it is wearing. Thanks

Jbulz wrote:

Here you go
Photo

Photo

Thank You Sir

|

9/9/2018 8:10 AM

got a complete suspension re-do including front and rear springs. Going to Pala this morning to test it out, very stoked to try as the stock stuff was a little off for me. Only have a couple rides on it but wasn't in love with it as much as I see others are. Bike is really good but rear was on the firm side and forks although smooth were also rigid feeling. Im a GP guy, not a full moto guy, so looking forward to this GP set up for worcs/Big 6 stuff. Will report back this afternoon.

|

9/9/2018 6:16 PM

GPrider wrote:

got a complete suspension re-do including front and rear springs. Going to Pala this morning to test it out, very stoked to try as the stock stuff was a little off for me. Only have a couple rides on it but wasn't in love with it as much as I see others are. Bike is really good but rear was on the firm side and forks although smooth were also rigid feeling. Im a GP guy, not a full moto guy, so looking forward to this GP set up for worcs/Big 6 stuff. Will report back this afternoon.

Right?!- rode a couple of them when they were brand new, and suspension felt ridged to me as well- I chalked it up as needing to be broken in.. Loved how narrow & agile it felt.

|

Current rides-
1988 RM250
2019 KX450

9/9/2018 8:56 PM

GPrider wrote:

Your lateangry It's now evening timew00t Where's that reporttongue

|

9/10/2018 8:15 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/10/2018 8:16 AM

GPrider wrote:

NeedMoto wrote:

Your lateangry It's now evening timew00t Where's that reporttongue

haha, sorry. So take it for what its worth as we all have opinions. I sent Bob Bell at Precision Concepts my forks and shock. Bob's son Robby Bell has been testing and testing setups for the new KX. For those who do not know Robby is a former worcs champ as well as many Baja wins, even raced several Nationals. Anyway, I asked Bob to go with his GP set up as I race/ride this type of stuff. I have ridden my bike twice prior, both times at Pala. Both times I felt the bike was awesome but it was held back by what I felt was some rigidity in the suspension. On another note, I listened to Keefers podcast on handlebars. Based on that I removed my Renthal Twinwalls and put the stock bars back on. I believe this definitely had something to do with the rigid feel, thanks Kris! Anyway I unloaded my bike and crused through the pits to jump on the track. Already the bike felt so much more comfortable. I hopped on the track and instantly felt one with the bike. So smooth and planted come to mind. Finally I was able to take advantage of all this bike has to offer. So light, agile, corners awesome, I love it! The biggest issue now is I am way out of shape. Going to work on that now that the bike is were I need it. Thanks Bob!

|

9/10/2018 8:48 AM

dancolvin633 wrote:

Was this rubber mounted one on a factory bike that you saw? There’s are rubber mounted. They are a little different as the muffler and mid pipe is one piece unlike production stuff which is 3 total pieces (head, mid, muffler)

This was a stock bike with PC exhaust. The owner was concerned that his new PC muffler wasn't rubber mounted like the stock muffler. He called PC and they fixed it for him. I think he may have actually known Mitch.

|

Bret Bonham

9/13/2018 8:03 PM

21 hours on the motor so I thought I should check the valve clearance. Luckily they were still spot on. Not sure if the shims are different than '18. With levers on extended back order now, I can't imagine getting valve shims! You can actually change the shims on the right side without pulling the cams.

|

9/14/2018 5:32 AM

FWIW ARC said their levers should be available this coming Monday.

|

9/14/2018 6:20 AM

Markopolo400 wrote:

FWIW ARC said their levers should be available this coming Monday.

Sweet I was going to call them today thanks.

|

9/14/2018 11:49 AM

Has anyone tried a FMF slip on from 16-18 kx 450 to see if they will bolt up?

|

9/14/2018 12:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/14/2018 12:05 PM

RF219 wrote:

Has anyone tried a FMF slip on from 16-18 kx 450 to see if they will bolt up?

Yeah ive tried it and it does not fit, maybe the whole system would fit?

|

9/14/2018 12:14 PM

The muffler fits, but you need to switch the grey packing sleeve and add a little asbestos wrap. The head pipe is not close. Supposed to get my complete FMF next week. Hopefully it won’t have the same issues as the PC setup.

|

9/14/2018 7:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/15/2018 8:15 AM

rode mine again today. Little more dialed in. So good don't know where to start. Just an amazing bike. So glad I started riding again, well worth it, oh ya, hands down the black coupler

|

9/15/2018 10:53 AM

Here is a review on the full FMF exhaust
https://dirtbiketest.com/product-tests/2019-fmf-4-1-rct-kawasaki-kx450-full-system-test/#cW9iU76DakkVJICC.97

Just make sure you run the stuffer/screen - its too much if you run it wide open - unless you are inhuman or Eli Tomac

|

9/20/2018 9:59 PM

Has anyone mounted the pigtail for the tuner? Kawasaki accessories show the same part number for the bracket as the 16-18 models, but I can't find anywhere to mount it...

|

9/21/2018 7:05 AM

smrscott wrote:

Here is a review on the full FMF exhaust
https://dirtbiketest.com/product-tests/2019-fmf-4-1-rct-kawasaki-kx450-full-system-test/#cW9iU76DakkVJICC.97

Just make sure you run the stuffer/screen - its too much if you run it wide open - unless you are inhuman or Eli Tomac

By sound of that the stock system must choke it up a fair bit, they keep mentioning it turns it into a fire breathing beast lol

|

9/24/2018 9:33 AM

Just curious, I was looking at one at my local dealer the other day and noticed the front brake cable is hanging out way up in left field. The cable seemed to be clamped in properly but I couldn't tell why it was up so high. I purchased a 2018 kx250f from them a couple of months ago and they had the kill switch and the launch control on the wrong side. Just wondering if they put this 19 together wrong? Photo

|

9/24/2018 9:44 AM

WW444 wrote:

Just curious, I was looking at one at my local dealer the other day and noticed the front brake cable is hanging out way up in left field. The cable seemed to be clamped in properly but I couldn't tell why it was up so high. I purchased a 2018 kx250f from them a couple of months ago and they had the kill switch and the launch control on the wrong side. Just wondering if they put this 19 together wrong? Photo

Yeah something is put together wrong lol.

|

9/24/2018 10:14 AM

Mine looks about the same. 25 hours on it. I'll have to look at a couple of my friends to compare.

|

9/24/2018 10:15 AM

Does anyone have suspension set up tips? Im around 90kg is that like 200 lbs? I get a Good sag rear, i like the bike but it seems harder rear then up front. From stock i have vent 1/4 out on high compression nut to soften it up an 3 clicks in on comp on the forks, seems to balance it up alittle. It feels like its putting more weight up front compared to my 16.

|

9/24/2018 10:27 AM

I'm about 193 lb. I set mine up per Keefer's suggestions. My riding bud got some Factory Connection settings that did not work for me, but he's also about 25 lbs lighter. I went back to Keefer's settings and I love it. I am putting in 5.1 front springs this week. Also I run my sag at 103.

|

9/24/2018 10:40 AM

Greenguy wrote:

I'm about 193 lb. I set mine up per Keefer's suggestions. My riding bud got some Factory Connection settings that did not work for me, but he's also about 25 lbs lighter. I went back to Keefer's settings and I love it. I am putting in 5.1 front springs this week. Also I run my sag at 103.

Ok what settings did he recomend? So youre swapping 1 spring i guess 1 50 and One 52? I cant really complain about stock suspension, not enough to get i revalved anyway. Unless someone could give out some Shim stacks so i could revalve it myself.let me know how that stiffer spring works.

|

9/24/2018 10:44 AM

Nystrom7 wrote:

Does anyone have suspension set up tips? Im around 90kg is that like 200 lbs? I get a Good sag rear, i like the bike but it seems harder rear then up front. From stock i have vent 1/4 out on high compression nut to soften it up an 3 clicks in on comp on the forks, seems to balance it up alittle. It feels like its putting more weight up front compared to my 16.

I'm 225 lb B rider. 5.9 Rear and .51 front with +5cc oil works great for me. Adding oil made the fork more comfortable because I could open the compression clickers up without bottoming on bigger landings. 105 mm sag seems about right to me.

|

9/24/2018 10:45 AM

RGaede wrote:

Has anyone mounted the pigtail for the tuner? Kawasaki accessories show the same part number for the bracket as the 16-18 models, but I can't find anywhere to mount it...

Did you ever figure this out? I just got my pigtail today finally, and didn't see an obvious place to mount it.

|

9/24/2018 11:46 AM

Do any one of you guys come from a late crf (17 - 19) or 250F ? If yes, how is the kawi compared to your ex model ? Just digging some info here cause i'm planning to buy a new bike at the end of the year and i don't know between the 19 CRF/YZF 250 or the new 450 Kawi which everyone rave about.

Been 2 years on a 250 sxf 17 and i am looking for a balance chassis with much better handling/suspension.

Thx !

|