Let's see/review those 2019 kx450s

Related:
Create New Tag

8/24/2018 6:54 AM

Hinson has their clutch out now, looks like different basket and some other parts.
Photo

|

8/24/2018 2:03 PM

Unreal to me these companies can make clutches and exhausts but no one can make some levers, friend of mine has a broken clutch lever and Kawi is backordered weeks out and I can't find anything aftermarket.

|

8/24/2018 6:20 PM

Cygrace74 wrote:

Unreal to me these companies can make clutches and exhausts but no one can make some levers, friend of mine has a broken clutch lever and Kawi is backordered weeks out and I can't find anything aftermarket.

i was told you need to call team green you need to have vin number so they knnow its a bike thats been sold and being ridden annd they will sell you the parts , and when you think about it it make sense im sure team green has thier ridders on the bikes and they have plenty of spares

|

8/24/2018 6:59 PM

DJAKE wrote:

It's the rubberized grey grip tape that D'Cor Visuals sells. It works very well and lasts a long time. I made the template myself, but D'Cor also offers pre-cut frame grip tape in both black and green and that stuff works great too.

datkin128 wrote:

I like that grey color you have. How did u cut it so well?

DJAKE wrote:

I made the template using clear adhesive, then transferred that over to the grip tape, and then I cut it out using scissors. Making the template can be tedious work but once done you can use it over and over if the grip tape wears out.

I asked a PC guy in the pits a few years back about the grip tape they used and they informed me that they get it at ACE Hardware. It works pretty well and is sold by the foot at $1.99. I buy a few feet at a time and just cut a couple sets out. Made a template out of cardboard and keep them in the tool box. Not sure if it will scare any money over the D'Cor stuff or not but it's worth a shot imo

|

8/24/2018 10:39 PM

40acres wrote:

I asked a PC guy in the pits a few years back about the grip tape they used and they informed me that they get it at ACE Hardware. It works pretty well and is sold by the foot at $1.99. I buy a few feet at a time and just cut a couple sets out. Made a template out of cardboard and keep them in the tool box. Not sure if it will scare any money over the D'Cor stuff or not but it's worth a shot imo

The stuff from ACE is different than what D'Cor offers. I have both in the garage right now and the D'Cor stuff is not as rough but still very grippy. If you cut the template correctly you can get 3-4 sets of grip tape from one sheet of D'Cor grip tape.

|

The D is silent.

8/25/2018 8:00 AM

on my way this morning to pick up mine and go straight to Pala to break it in!

|

8/25/2018 10:50 AM

I took a peak at the '19 at my local dealer. I must say I was pretty impressed. If I can factor in some more me/ride time, I think this will be my next scooter. To me, it felt quite light picking up the rear end (as if to put on a stand) even though the scales don't share the same info. Keep up the ride reports and opinions!

|

8/27/2018 11:36 AM

For those that care, I just got off the phone with Kawi - a rep told me that clutch levers to fulfill existing orders have been shipped, any new orders will be on backorder though.

|

8/30/2018 9:42 AM

As I've stated previously this bike is great. My one gripe so far with 16 hours on it is the swingarm chain pad. Its worn through at the swingarm pivot. The '16 to '18 model lasted 10 hours, and would wear through at the weld at the cast to extruded aluminum swingarm joint. On the bright side I gained six hours!

|

8/30/2018 9:51 AM

Greenguy wrote:

As I've stated previously this bike is great. My one gripe so far with 16 hours on it is the swingarm chain pad. Its worn through at the swingarm pivot. The '16 to '18 model lasted 10 hours, and would wear through at the weld at the cast to extruded aluminum swingarm joint. On the bright side I gained six hours!

This has always been my only gripe with my KX's and a lot of others as well. Well that and the heck of a time I had valving my '11 250f forks. Took a while, but I finally got them dialed a few months before I sold it. Chain slider and chain guide wear WAY too fast along with the rollers. I've always just bought a guide/slider set from Acerbis as soon as I pick up the bike. I haven't had one wear through the Acerbis set yet and have sold them all with tons of life left.

|

8/30/2018 9:55 AM

DJAKE wrote: Photo
Love mine!

I think i have mentioned this before.....But, I dig your number choice. I've been rocking 454 for 16 years.

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

8/30/2018 10:02 AM

sparker245 wrote:

Have had my 2019 Honda for about a month and like it a lot. Zero complains other than the forks being too harsh. Rode a stock 2019 KX450 back to back yesterday with the Honda. These bikes are very similar surprisingly. Basically I like the clutch and suspension on the Kawi way better than my Honda. Prefer the Honda front brake and motor, although I didn't get to try any of the Kawi couplers or any type of mapping. The Kawi felt like my Honda on the standard map. But with the a aggressive map in the Honda, I much prefer the motor over the Kawi. Everything else was very, very similar. Darn good bike.

The forks are the exact same fork, other than slight valving differences...

Try getting them revalved...

|

8/30/2018 10:48 AM

sparker245 wrote:

Have had my 2019 Honda for about a month and like it a lot. Zero complains other than the forks being too harsh. Rode a stock 2019 KX450 back to back yesterday with the Honda. These bikes are very similar surprisingly. Basically I like the clutch and suspension on the Kawi way better than my Honda. Prefer the Honda front brake and motor, although I didn't get to try any of the Kawi couplers or any type of mapping. The Kawi felt like my Honda on the standard map. But with the a aggressive map in the Honda, I much prefer the motor over the Kawi. Everything else was very, very similar. Darn good bike.

TSCHAM101 wrote:

The forks are the exact same fork, other than slight valving differences...

Try getting them revalved...

The coatings maybe makes some difference?

Does the 16-18 chainsliders work om the 19? And has anybody made the Up to-18 front wheel fit?

|

8/30/2018 10:56 AM

Markopolo400 wrote:

I'm a 2-stroke guy at heart too. But man is pushing a button nice lol.

Still have my 06 KX250 sitting next to the 450. And maybe someday I will finish the 250 project laughing

Photo

Im hella jealous of your bikes

|

8/30/2018 11:05 AM

I was a KX450 guy for several years, but have been on the Austrian train for the last 3 years. I could see a green future for me, but it will be a while because I just got this Husky. They are all good these days.

|

Take it to the limit, one more time!

8/30/2018 11:37 AM

So far 2 firsts and a second in the shootouts. Impressive. I️ might need one.

|

8/30/2018 12:47 PM

I'm pretty sure the rear chain guide insert is the same, the cage is different. That's what it looked like when I held up my old one from a 16. The front is different for sure I'm getting worried that it will wear out before someone makes them.

|

8/30/2018 12:56 PM

Ok yeah i noticed the rear look similar. I tried the fmf slip on of My 16 bit that did not fit with the stock header atleast. The UFO stadiumplate fits and make the brakeline go behind the plate similar to the KTM

|

8/30/2018 1:07 PM

Nystrom7 wrote:

The coatings maybe makes some difference?

Does the 16-18 chainsliders work om the 19? And has anybody made the Up to-18 front wheel fit?

The only people that can notice a difference between coatings and non-coating are guys that can qualify for a national.

I think Honda set their forks up funky compared to the Kawi

|

8/30/2018 1:07 PM

I just looked the rear chain insert is the same OEM part # as 16-18.

|

8/30/2018 1:16 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/30/2018 1:17 PM

TSCHAM101 wrote:

The forks are the exact same fork, other than slight valving differences...

Try getting them revalved...

Nystrom7 wrote:

The coatings maybe makes some difference?

Does the 16-18 chainsliders work om the 19? And has anybody made the Up to-18 front wheel fit?

BroFoSho wrote:

The only people that can notice a difference between coatings and non-coating are guys that can qualify for a national.

I think Honda set their forks up funky compared to the Kawi

It was just a guess less friction might be noticeble. I have not seen the internals though.

|

8/30/2018 1:20 PM

My dealer is calling Kawi today to find out about availability. Also checked Rocky Mountain. They show two in stock.

|

9/2/2018 11:26 AM

Can't wait to get one. Just waiting for my bike to sell. I'm looking forward to spring forks again.

|

9/2/2018 6:58 PM

Nystrom7 wrote:

The coatings maybe makes some difference?

Does the 16-18 chainsliders work om the 19? And has anybody made the Up to-18 front wheel fit?

BroFoSho wrote:

The only people that can notice a difference between coatings and non-coating are guys that can qualify for a national.

I think Honda set their forks up funky compared to the Kawi

Nystrom7 wrote:

It was just a guess less friction might be noticeble. I have not seen the internals though.

Anybody can feel the difference between brand new and broken in forks, or how wrist jarring old wp stuff was. Any guy with bad wrists could tell u a bunch about what's what on suspension too . So neener neener neener

|

when in doubt, pin it out

9/5/2018 9:19 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/6/2018 1:37 PM

|

9/5/2018 9:24 AM

Click588 wrote:

Dang that sucks man, did you crash?
I smashed my radiator the last weekend before my braces showed up lol.Photo

|

9/5/2018 9:27 AM

Click588 wrote:

Wow that is a bummer! The stock cannon exhaust is just begging to get ripped off with how far it sticks out.

Find a good welding shop and they should be able to fix it.

|

9/5/2018 9:39 AM

Click588 wrote:

DB97 wrote:

Dang that sucks man, did you crash?
I smashed my radiator the last weekend before my braces showed up lol.Photo

I did the same thing to my right shroud. The end got hooked into my boot and I pulled it back. The OEM ones are like $150 and the cheaper option without graphics isn't available yet...

I ended up fixing it with a soldering iron and some old spare Kawi plastic I had sitting around to use as "welding rod" lol. It's held up so far and you can't tell it was repaired unless you take the shroud off.

|

9/5/2018 9:41 AM

I rode a friend's 19 Kawi the other day. It was great! The most impressive thing to me was the ability to corner like my 17 KTM. Kawi real did a great job with this bike!

The only thing I noticed, and maybe it was partially due to the pro taper bar the gy had on (i didnt like the bend), is that I thought the clutch pull was a bit stiff? I was noticing more fatigue and arm pump because of this and could ride my KTM longer.

Everyone else says the clutch pull on the Kawi is great so I imagine it can be adjusted a bit??

|

17 KTM 450 SXF - AMAZING!

9/5/2018 9:42 AM

Jbulz wrote:

I did the same thing to my right shroud. The end got hooked into my boot and I pulled it back. The OEM ones are like $150 and the cheaper option without graphics isn't available yet...

I ended up fixing it with a soldering iron and some old spare Kawi plastic I had sitting around to use as "welding rod" lol. It's held up so far and you can't tell it was repaired unless you take the shroud off.

Haha I used super glue. I ate it bad got thrown from the bike and I damaged it from either my foot or knee hitting it forward.

|