Let's see/review those 2019 kx450s

8/11/2018 7:29pm
Anyone ride both the new gen Honda and the 19 Kawi ? My mind was set on the Honda and I could get an 18 for a lot cheaper, but now I'm not as sure. This bike looks really nice.
datkin128
8/11/2018 8:23pm
999 wrote:
Anyone ride both the new gen Honda and the 19 Kawi ? My mind was set on the Honda and I could get an 18 for...
Anyone ride both the new gen Honda and the 19 Kawi ? My mind was set on the Honda and I could get an 18 for a lot cheaper, but now I'm not as sure. This bike looks really nice.
I’ve ridden the 18 Honda and own the 19 Kawi. I haven’t ridden them back to back. I really liked the 18 Honda when I rode it. I love the 19 Kawi! I feel like it’s the best mx Bike I’ve ever ridden. If you haven’t ridden one I recommend you try one. It has all the features I wanted in a new bike and hasn’t disappointed. It’s actually better and more improved than I thought it would be.
Click588
8/12/2018 6:32am

Pipe makes a big difference and looks much better then the stock one. Love the 19 so far
Jbulz
Fantasy
4069th
8/16/2018 6:53pm
Alright, well I can confirm that my Hinson from my 16 fits, but the pressed in center gear is different so make sure you swap it out. Also be careful that you have the gears on the basket fully lined up before torquing the nut down.

The gear is only about 8mm wide now, so you can drop the basket in and only partially engaged the gears, but the threads are exposed enough that it looks like you have a it fully installed. If you tightened the nut up you would for sure break something!

Do yourselves a favor and take the judder spring out and installed a normal friction plate. It fixes that vague engagement feeling that the bike has stock.(pictured below)

The Shop

DB97
8/17/2018 3:56pm
Jbulz wrote:
Alright, well I can confirm that my Hinson from my 16 fits, but the pressed in center gear is different so make sure you swap it...
Alright, well I can confirm that my Hinson from my 16 fits, but the pressed in center gear is different so make sure you swap it out. Also be careful that you have the gears on the basket fully lined up before torquing the nut down.

The gear is only about 8mm wide now, so you can drop the basket in and only partially engaged the gears, but the threads are exposed enough that it looks like you have a it fully installed. If you tightened the nut up you would for sure break something!

Do yourselves a favor and take the judder spring out and installed a normal friction plate. It fixes that vague engagement feeling that the bike has stock.(pictured below)

Interesting, have you ridden it since installing it? I compared part numbers from 18 to 19 and the only thing I saw the same was the inner hub. Did the cover fit?
Greenguy
8/17/2018 4:10pm
Nystrom7 who did your number plates? FYI, FMF told me three weeks before first run of Ti systems.
Jbulz
Fantasy
4069th
8/17/2018 4:18pm
Jbulz wrote:
Alright, well I can confirm that my Hinson from my 16 fits, but the pressed in center gear is different so make sure you swap it...

DB97 wrote:
Interesting, have you ridden it since installing it? I compared part numbers from 18 to 19 and the only thing I saw the same was the...
Interesting, have you ridden it since installing it? I compared part numbers from 18 to 19 and the only thing I saw the same was the inner hub. Did the cover fit?
Yeah, rode it yesterday. Much more direct and precise feel. The stock clutch with judder spring engages nice and smooth, with a lot of modulation, but it felt vague and hard to tell exactly when the clutch would let out coming out of corners.

The hub is the same part. The basket is the same casting, but the gear is different, and the pressure plate is a slightly different casting, but it looks like it is just a difference in clutch spring seat reinforcement.

The clutch cover is completely different and won't swap over.
DB97
8/17/2018 4:21pm
Cool thanks. So my rekluse should be no problem but I will need a cover I think it's bigger slightly not sure.
RGaede
8/17/2018 6:22pm
Rusk racing is doing full graphics, have had my backgrounds for a week! Not the best shot, but here's a pic
Nystrom7
8/17/2018 8:54pm
Greenguy wrote:
Nystrom7 who did your number plates? FYI, FMF told me three weeks before first run of Ti systems.
Made, its a Swedish company.
Nystrom7
8/21/2018 10:53am
Did the first oil change and it seems to be a m8 drainplug now. Im fine with that but i miss the hole in the plug they vad before i like to secure my plug with a wire.
Does anybody know if there is any aftermarket plug that got a hole for a security wire that fits?
Jbulz
Fantasy
4069th
8/21/2018 2:17pm Edited Date/Time 8/21/2018 2:17pm
Nystrom7 wrote:
Did the first oil change and it seems to be a m8 drainplug now. Im fine with that but i miss the hole in the plug...
Did the first oil change and it seems to be a m8 drainplug now. Im fine with that but i miss the hole in the plug they vad before i like to secure my plug with a wire.
Does anybody know if there is any aftermarket plug that got a hole for a security wire that fits?
I noticed that too. If you really want to, you could just drill the hole yourself. It's pretty crazy the lengths they went to shave weight on this bike. The oil filter cover is glass-filled nylon!

Also, the bolts that hold the fork guard are aluminum! I found that out after 2 sheared off after a race. Either they got hung up on a rock/rut or I had a impact with someone in the 1st corner without realizing it!
datkin128
8/21/2018 3:26pm
Jbulz wrote:

Just curious, your lower picture has three rings in it. The friction plate I think, the judder spring (I think), and something else. So you replace JUST the judder spring with a friction plate, or you replace both those skinnier rings with the new friction plate? I haven't noticed any issues with mine, just curious.

thanks
Jbulz
Fantasy
4069th
8/21/2018 3:30pm
Jbulz wrote:

datkin128 wrote:
Just curious, your lower picture has three rings in it. The friction plate I think, the judder spring (I think), and something else. So you replace...
Just curious, your lower picture has three rings in it. The friction plate I think, the judder spring (I think), and something else. So you replace JUST the judder spring with a friction plate, or you replace both those skinnier rings with the new friction plate? I haven't noticed any issues with mine, just curious.

thanks
So the judder spring (dark ring) and the judder spring seat (silver one) fit inside the diameter of the small friction plate. You remove all 3, and just install a standard friction plate.
Nystrom7
8/22/2018 1:38am
Made a new Bolt that i will try next oil change.

twhig
8/22/2018 7:01pm
I got a chance to ride mine today for the first time. Very impressed with the handling and the power delivery. Didn’t touch a thing other than adjust the levers for now. Front end felt a little stiff right now, but it will soften up as she breaks in. I’ve had multiple KX’s in the past and this by far is the best one yet. I know I will have to spring it appropriately after she is broke in, but until then what a wonderful machine.
datkin128
8/22/2018 7:13pm
DJAKE wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/08/21/281980/s1200_image1.jpg[/img] Love mine!

Love mine!
What kind of frame grip tape is that and does it last?
DJAKE
8/22/2018 7:36pm
datkin128 wrote:
It's the rubberized grey grip tape that D'Cor Visuals sells. It works very well and lasts a long time. I made the template myself, but D'Cor also offers pre-cut frame grip tape in both black and green and that stuff works great too.
kiwifan
8/22/2018 7:36pm
Nystrom7 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/08/17/281221/s1200_IMG_20180817_184232.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/08/17/281222/s1200_IMG_20180817_184155.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/08/17/281223/s1200_IMG_20180817_184134.jpg[/img]

Congrats, looks good!
datkin128
8/22/2018 9:07pm
datkin128 wrote:
DJAKE wrote:
It's the rubberized grey grip tape that D'Cor Visuals sells. It works very well and lasts a long time. I made the template myself, but D'Cor...
It's the rubberized grey grip tape that D'Cor Visuals sells. It works very well and lasts a long time. I made the template myself, but D'Cor also offers pre-cut frame grip tape in both black and green and that stuff works great too.
I like that grey color you have. How did u cut it so well?
DJAKE
8/22/2018 9:15pm
datkin128 wrote:
I made the template using clear adhesive, then transferred that over to the grip tape, and then I cut it out using scissors. Making the template can be tedious work but once done you can use it over and over if the grip tape wears out.
Jbulz
Fantasy
4069th
8/23/2018 7:21am
So brake and clutch levers are still unavailable from Kawi - anyone know if another brand/model fits? Or when the levers are expected to be available?

I bent my clutch lever yesterday, but got lucky and was able to straighten it... I really don't want to break a lever and not be able to ride because of it!

(PS - who launches a bike without making sure service parts, like levers, are available!)
datkin128
8/23/2018 8:12am
datkin128 wrote:
DJAKE wrote:
I made the template using clear adhesive, then transferred that over to the grip tape, and then I cut it out using scissors. Making the template...
I made the template using clear adhesive, then transferred that over to the grip tape, and then I cut it out using scissors. Making the template can be tedious work but once done you can use it over and over if the grip tape wears out.
I have an idea. Order the precut and the grey, trace the precut onto the grey, then send the precut one back lol. I wonder why they don’t make a precut in grey???
Greenguy
8/23/2018 10:34am
I've had mine for almost two months now. I got levers and an extra air filter from Kawi the week after I bought it. My dealer is one of the oldest in CA and has a great rep. My dealer has a special number to call to get parts, I'm sure yours does too. It is pretty silly though. The parts schematic just came out late last week.
sparker245
8/23/2018 11:27am
Have had my 2019 Honda for about a month and like it a lot. Zero complains other than the forks being too harsh. Rode a stock 2019 KX450 back to back yesterday with the Honda. These bikes are very similar surprisingly. Basically I like the clutch and suspension on the Kawi way better than my Honda. Prefer the Honda front brake and motor, although I didn't get to try any of the Kawi couplers or any type of mapping. The Kawi felt like my Honda on the standard map. But with the a aggressive map in the Honda, I much prefer the motor over the Kawi. Everything else was very, very similar. Darn good bike.
RGaede
8/23/2018 6:06pm
Took a couple of better pics at the first race on it. Really liking this bike!

nm143
8/23/2018 7:36pm
Picked up mine last night. First race coming up over the weekend. Looking forward to trying it out.
DB97
8/24/2018 6:54am
Hinson has their clutch out now, looks like different basket and some other parts.

Post a reply to: Let's see/review those 2019 kx450s

The Latest