Let's see/review those 2019 kx450s

Related:
Create New Tag

8/7/2018 10:34 AM

Jbulz wrote:

Has anyone confirmed the older clutch fits? I might take a crack at putting my Hinson assembly in tonight.

I saw an interesting thing the manual that if the the clutch actuator rod is removed, then engine oil and clutch (DOT4 brake fluid) can mix. Usually oil will catastrophically fail the seals in a brake system so I'm guessing the same is true here! I guess you need to be careful if you lay the bike on its side to change a clutch, since all the oil will pool there.

Has anyone had theirs apart yet? Sounds like they're using the actuator rod as the slave cylinder piston. I'm guessing if I remove mine, I will need to bleed the clutch line.

Also, what is everyone doing for skid plates? I didn't even realize the bike didn't come with one until late last night. Anyone bolt up a stocker plastic one from the 16-18's? They're only like $12

Yes if you look on kawi site the skid plate is optional same part # as 16-18 skid plate it bolts right on. As for the clutch I was trying to figure it out too and rekluse said they think the inner stuff works but cover won't.

|

8/7/2018 10:45 AM

Every review i read of the 19 it sounds unreal

|

8/7/2018 10:50 AM

Markopolo400 wrote:

Is this place legit?

https://www.ktm-parts.com/151124.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw7vraBRBbEiwA4WBOn9lo9FQRi3_jn_4Hvc4O6boUgAlElfcjSg4rBltqxFOGndrc6h0jZxoCeD8QAvD_BwE

https://www.ktm-parts.com/160118.html

BR8ES wrote:

They are legit.

Markopolo400 wrote:

Just got off the phone with Twin Air, they have shipped filters to all their major distributors, but called the KTM-Parts place and they don't actually stock the filters they would have to order them.

I was able to buy some from the setup twin air had at LL’s. They told me that they didn’t have them for sale yet

|

amateurs practice untill they get it right. pros practice untill they cant get it wrong.

8/7/2018 10:52 AM

I contacted works connection and they will have skid plates for the new Kawi 8/15.

|

8/7/2018 11:29 AM

western poowersports has the twin air filters inn stock as of yesterday

|

8/7/2018 1:28 PM

Yeah filters are available I ordered one last week. I just got my exhaust going to install it soon can't wait.
Photo

|

8/7/2018 1:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/7/2018 1:37 PM

DB97 wrote:

Yeah filters are available I ordered one last week. I just got my exhaust going to install it soon can't wait.
Photo

Make sure to post a good side view shot smile

|

8/7/2018 2:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/7/2018 2:51 PM

Got everything installed and weighed for you guys. I weighed the muffler with the spark arrester installed so subtract that from total. Well for those that liked the quite stock pipe this thing sounds insane now lol.
Stock pipe weighs 9lbs 2.2 oz
Pro circuit weighs 5lbs 14.3 oz without spark arrester.
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

8/7/2018 4:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/7/2018 4:15 PM

DB you’ll have to post a review of what it does to the powerband, cause that thing looks so much better than stock lol.

|

8/7/2018 4:25 PM

Markopolo400 wrote:

DB you’ll have to post a review of what it does to the powerband, cause that thing looks so much better than stock lol.

I know big improvement, probably won't be untill saturday. From the way it sounds I'm expecting good gains.

|

8/7/2018 4:42 PM

Anyone in the northeast wanna take some laps on a 17 fc350 in exchange for some laps on the 19 kawi let me know! smile

|

8/7/2018 5:09 PM

Markopolo400 wrote:

DB97 wrote:

I know big improvement, probably won't be untill saturday. From the way it sounds I'm expecting good gains.

Also post about how loud it is while riding it. I love how quiet the stock one is lol

|

8/7/2018 9:24 PM

Jbulz wrote:

I joined the 2019 club yesterday l, coming from a 2016 KX450F. I wasn't planning on doing it, but had a kickstarter break my cases, and I was dead set on racing Unadilla Am weekend, so here we are...

Bought from Ithaca Rec in NY for 8400 and change plus tax. Got to ride it for about 45 minutes last night, all bone stock. Here's my quick notes:

Did I even buy a Kawasaki? This thing feels nothing like my 16. The front end bites in hard and holds an inside corner extremely well. My 16 needed to kind of bank off something, square up, and then accelerate hard out. The 19 turns in extremely sharp, and steers well, even while braking hard. Much more precise feeling bike.

Ergos feel weird to me as I adjust. Seat is very flat like a KTM, and the tank is really low. You can shift around on the bike while braking, but the lack of a seat "pocket" means you have to hold yourself forward when hard on the power a little more. New levers are really thin and have a great feel to them. Brakes are much better than my 16. Rear oversized doesn't feel overpowered, which is what I was worrying about, it seems like it has better feel and doesn't lock up as easy.

I haven't liked the KTM hydro clutches I've ridden before, but this feels very traditional, but with a smooth easy pull. E-start is pretty cool to have... I gooned it and stalled it in the corner once. Being able to just hit the button was nice.

The engine is much different than my 16 w/ FMF ti system. The 16 hit hard off the bottom to mid and lugged really well (if it didn't flame out). Signed off a little early, but could still be ridden there. Overall my old bike felt like the bike had kind of a narrow hard hitting power band. The 19 is much easier to ride. Less bottom end, very very linear feeling. Bike will lug out of corners without lighting the tire up. It has much more mid and top end, but is delivered very smoothly. It's easy to ride aggressively, since there is very little drama. It is very fast, without feeling fast. Exhaust is surprisingly quiet as well.

Suspension is soft for me, dives kind of far for my liking when braking, but is really controllable. I'm a 230 lb B rider and could probably race it as is, but I would be more comfortable with the suspension holding up more. The track didn't have many obstacles to really test jumping too much. I have springs coming tonight, so hopefully tt fixes really my only issues with the bike. More ride reports to come

What spring rates did you order? PC recommended 5.3 front and 6.0 rear for me., I'm a 215lbs intermediate rider. Feels a bit too stiff though, lost that really nice small chatter absorption it had stock, and I got a bit more front end push with 104mm sag. I will try and ride it more this weekend, if I'm not happy with it I may drop down a little.

|

8/7/2018 9:36 PM

I’ve got 11 hours on mine. I’m 190, +50 expert. Suspension feels just a little soft, but great. My settings are what Keefer suggested. Factory Connection didn’t recommend going past 5.1 on the forks. They think valving changes. They were testing this past week and had a set on their dyno. They said a few weeks for settings.

|

8/7/2018 10:45 PM

50dippin wrote:

What spring rates did you order? PC recommended 5.3 front and 6.0 rear for me., I'm a 215lbs intermediate rider. Feels a bit too stiff though, lost that really nice small chatter absorption it had stock, and I got a bit more front end push with 104mm sag. I will try and ride it more this weekend, if I'm not happy with it I may drop down a little.

Ah man that's not what I want to hear haha. I literally just got back from the garage after installing the springs that PC recommended... Same for me, a .53 fork and 6.0 shock haha. I actually had to compromise for what I could get by today (I am only able to ride tomorrow, andnthen I'm heading to Unadilla for the amateur weekend...trial by fire lol) and threw a .54 in one leg to put me at .52 effective, and got my 5.9 from my 2016 to fit. I checked racetech website and the only difference is the length of the spring... I'm wayyy at the top of the shock threads and hit 100 mm race sag and 28 free mm, so I think that's about right. My preload adjuster is actually clamped down off the threads a little bit, so I hope it doesn't strip out and slide up the body while I'm riding...

Hopefully the slightly lower rate and me being a little heavier than you makes this work OK. I actually emailed Keefer and get said if im running stiffer springs to start with stock clicker see and probably back of compression a little.

Also, holy crap are the components in these forks HUGE. ML512 def couldn't bottom these. I happened to have my buddy's older A kit stuff opened up (I think he said from 2011 era) and was able to snap some pics to compare. His kit is a 12 mm damping rod, where ours are 14 mm. I don't think my SFF TACs even had 14 mm rods actually.

I threw the oem plastic skid plate from my 16 on and it fits perfect. Aluminum tusk throttle tubes swapped over. Foot pegs fit, although I want to try the stockers a little more before switching them.

I went to install my hinson and the clutch looks a little different, so I'm going to wait to confirm before pulling the trigger. My stock 19 parts would end up going in my buddy's 16 that I'm playing musical parts with, and I don't want to cause a problem for him. Also interesting is the "judder spring" that Keefer wrote an article about removing. I left mine in for now but might pull it out after Unadilla.

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

8/8/2018 9:16 AM

Jbulz wrote:

I joined the 2019 club yesterday l, coming from a 2016 KX450F. I wasn't planning on doing it, but had a kickstarter break my cases, and I was dead set on racing Unadilla Am weekend, so here we are...

Bought from Ithaca Rec in NY for 8400 and change plus tax. Got to ride it for about 45 minutes last night, all bone stock. Here's my quick notes:

Did I even buy a Kawasaki? This thing feels nothing like my 16. The front end bites in hard and holds an inside corner extremely well. My 16 needed to kind of bank off something, square up, and then accelerate hard out. The 19 turns in extremely sharp, and steers well, even while braking hard. Much more precise feeling bike.

Ergos feel weird to me as I adjust. Seat is very flat like a KTM, and the tank is really low. You can shift around on the bike while braking, but the lack of a seat "pocket" means you have to hold yourself forward when hard on the power a little more. New levers are really thin and have a great feel to them. Brakes are much better than my 16. Rear oversized doesn't feel overpowered, which is what I was worrying about, it seems like it has better feel and doesn't lock up as easy.

I haven't liked the KTM hydro clutches I've ridden before, but this feels very traditional, but with a smooth easy pull. E-start is pretty cool to have... I gooned it and stalled it in the corner once. Being able to just hit the button was nice.

The engine is much different than my 16 w/ FMF ti system. The 16 hit hard off the bottom to mid and lugged really well (if it didn't flame out). Signed off a little early, but could still be ridden there. Overall my old bike felt like the bike had kind of a narrow hard hitting power band. The 19 is much easier to ride. Less bottom end, very very linear feeling. Bike will lug out of corners without lighting the tire up. It has much more mid and top end, but is delivered very smoothly. It's easy to ride aggressively, since there is very little drama. It is very fast, without feeling fast. Exhaust is surprisingly quiet as well.

Suspension is soft for me, dives kind of far for my liking when braking, but is really controllable. I'm a 230 lb B rider and could probably race it as is, but I would be more comfortable with the suspension holding up more. The track didn't have many obstacles to really test jumping too much. I have springs coming tonight, so hopefully tt fixes really my only issues with the bike. More ride reports to come

50dippin wrote:

Jbulz wrote:

Ah man that's not what I want to hear haha. I literally just got back from the garage after installing the springs that PC recommended... Same for me, a .53 fork and 6.0 shock haha. I actually had to compromise for what I could get by today (I am only able to ride tomorrow, andnthen I'm heading to Unadilla for the amateur weekend...trial by fire lol) and threw a .54 in one leg to put me at .52 effective, and got my 5.9 from my 2016 to fit. I checked racetech website and the only difference is the length of the spring... I'm wayyy at the top of the shock threads and hit 100 mm race sag and 28 free mm, so I think that's about right. My preload adjuster is actually clamped down off the threads a little bit, so I hope it doesn't strip out and slide up the body while I'm riding...

Hopefully the slightly lower rate and me being a little heavier than you makes this work OK. I actually emailed Keefer and get said if im running stiffer springs to start with stock clicker see and probably back of compression a little.

Also, holy crap are the components in these forks HUGE. ML512 def couldn't bottom these. I happened to have my buddy's older A kit stuff opened up (I think he said from 2011 era) and was able to snap some pics to compare. His kit is a 12 mm damping rod, where ours are 14 mm. I don't think my SFF TACs even had 14 mm rods actually.

I threw the oem plastic skid plate from my 16 on and it fits perfect. Aluminum tusk throttle tubes swapped over. Foot pegs fit, although I want to try the stockers a little more before switching them.

I went to install my hinson and the clutch looks a little different, so I'm going to wait to confirm before pulling the trigger. My stock 19 parts would end up going in my buddy's 16 that I'm playing musical parts with, and I don't want to cause a problem for him. Also interesting is the "judder spring" that Keefer wrote an article about removing. I left mine in for now but might pull it out after Unadilla.

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

May work better for you, With the 6.0 shock I'm at ~38mm static sag to get 104mm race sag. I'm guessing PC gave me a 5.4 and a 5.2 to get the 5.3 number, so I may switch one back to the stock spring to get 5.2 like you. But I'm thinking I need to go down on the shock spring.

Also, what footpegs are you running that switched over? I'm not a huge fan of the stock pegs.

|

8/8/2018 10:56 AM

50dippin wrote:

May work better for you, With the 6.0 shock I'm at ~38mm static sag to get 104mm race sag. I'm guessing PC gave me a 5.4 and a 5.2 to get the 5.3 number, so I may switch one back to the stock spring to get 5.2 like you. But I'm thinking I need to go down on the shock spring.

Also, what footpegs are you running that switched over? I'm not a huge fan of the stock pegs.

Works Connection Superlight Ti pegs. I actually installed them to check fitment and then removed them because I wanted to try the OEMs one a little more. I hated the last gen stock KX pegs that would just pack with rocks and dirt, so I'm happy they finally redesigned them. I figured I should give them a fair shake before blindly putting them on the shelf.

I decide if im going to put them back on or not after riding tonight, weather permitting.

For what it's worth the Ti pegs feel a lot lighter than the OE steel ones, not that it matters much down that low lol. I'll try to weigh them next time they're off again.

|

8/9/2018 10:53 AM

Jbulz wrote:

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

50dippin wrote:

Jbulz wrote:

Works Connection Superlight Ti pegs. I actually installed them to check fitment and then removed them because I wanted to try the OEMs one a little more. I hated the last gen stock KX pegs that would just pack with rocks and dirt, so I'm happy they finally redesigned them. I figured I should give them a fair shake before blindly putting them on the shelf.

I decide if im going to put them back on or not after riding tonight, weather permitting.

For what it's worth the Ti pegs feel a lot lighter than the OE steel ones, not that it matters much down that low lol. I'll try to weigh them next time they're off again.

Any input on the 5.9 and 5.2 rate? I'm still thinking of going down just a bit.

|

8/10/2018 1:00 AM

DAMN. A 14 mm rod in a stock fork. Just damn.

Thank you for sharing!

|

8/10/2018 6:37 AM

50dippin wrote:

Jbulz wrote:

50dippin wrote:

Any input on the 5.9 and 5.2 rate? I'm still thinking of going down just a bit.

Yeah, I got some time on the bike with the new settings at a real track with ruts/jumps, etc. All I can say is WOW this bike is good. I can't believe how much better this thing is than my old bike.

The old style 5.9 shock spring acting worked fine. Once I set the say with my gear on, it fit the shock fine and I was able to thread it down the shock body more. Race sag 105 mm, static sag 35 mm, so that is spot on.

The front feels good, but very tall. I think I will step down to a .51 when I get time. For now I put the forks at +2.5 mm to lower it a bit.

I would try stock clickers when you put the springs in. I ended up 2 softer on the forks from stock, and everything else stock. Feels super plush and still takes big landing.

My first motos today so I'll try and put up a race report on how the stuff works when the track gets really beat up.

Also, anyone's valves loud? I think I need to adjust mine. Since new it's had a tick, and I noticed it being a bit louder in practice this morning... Of course the owners manual only shows how to check the valves, but not how to adjust/ torque caps, etc or I'd do it at the track tonight.

|

8/10/2018 1:18 PM

Markopolo400 wrote:

DB97 wrote:

Please also pay attention to deceleration popping. In the past I’ve experienced some with pro circuit systems on my KX’s. My 16 was especially bad. Re mapping helped a bit, but it was still there. Just curious what you expierience since I will be ordering this same system for mine. Thanks!!!

|

8/10/2018 1:20 PM

twhig wrote:

Please also pay attention to deceleration popping. In the past I’ve experienced some with pro circuit systems on my KX’s. My 16 was especially bad. Re mapping helped a bit, but it was still there. Just curious what you expierience since I will be ordering this same system for mine. Thanks!!!

Yeah I'll let you know riding tomorrow.

|

8/11/2018 7:38 AM

Well the track is pretty thick today and wet so hard to tell power difference. It's very loud as I thought but I don't notice much decel pop. Here's some fresh coloring. Photo

|

8/11/2018 11:02 AM

I just bought one! Pick up next week!

|

8/11/2018 11:43 AM

Moto520 wrote:

I just bought one! Pick up next week!

Awesome you'll love it, there was three at the track today. I just got the twin air stuff and their filter is way lower profile should make it easier to install. Photo

|

8/11/2018 4:28 PM

DB97 wrote:

Awesome you'll love it, there was three at the track today. I just got the twin air stuff and their filter is way lower profile should make it easier to install. Photo

Yup, just picked up a twin air (Buddy of mine checked the twin air truck at Dilla and they had 19 stuff in stock. I was able to get 2 filters and wash cover for $65. Good deal!).

Still kind of a pain, but the lower profile makes fitment a little easier.

|

8/11/2018 5:50 PM

Anybody else notice the twin air filters don’t have the ears to go on the posts of the air filter cage? First time I’ve had a filter that didn’t keep them for the posts

|

8/11/2018 6:28 PM

Anybody got a lead on clutch levers? Dropped my bike like a squid today and the thin profile lever didn't stand a chance.

You guys order filters through a dealer or online somewhere?

|

8/11/2018 6:34 PM

I didn't even notice the filter doesn't have post holes that's kinda wierd. I ordered it from my friend who's a dealer but I saw them on motosport. As for levers nothing yet mine is bent bad too haha. I emailed ARC and they never responded.

|

8/11/2018 6:47 PM

Cygrace74 wrote:

Anybody else notice the twin air filters don’t have the ears to go on the posts of the air filter cage? First time I’ve had a filter that didn’t keep them for the posts

That is strange, but they are kind of pointless and deform the filter around the sealing surface if anything. The filter looks fairly small. I'm sure once placed around the cage, it will be a snug fit.

|