Let's Talk About The French!?!

Osaka627
Edited Date/Time 4/29/2015 1:27pm
I would like to have a civilized discussion about how & why the Majority of French Riders are typically technically craftier than their counterparts wherever. Is it because of JMB & his impact on the sport? Is it the tracks or the dirt? Let's see if someone has a plausible explanation or reasoning?
|
mx836
4/27/2015 8:41pm
They race "supercross".
jeffro503
4/27/2015 8:56pm
I'm not sure.....but I know a few of them have had talent levels about equal with God himself. France produces some awesome riders no doubt about it.
mjskier
4/27/2015 9:19pm
People in the business will have to chime in, but I think that way back when they put a structure in place to develop local talent.
In France there is (was ?) a "national trainer" (technical director?) whose job goes way beyond just selecting the MxDN team.

Olson
4/27/2015 9:22pm
I thought they didn't want none?

The Shop

Osaka627
4/27/2015 9:55pm
Very Popular Trainer did come to mind for example Gary Semics type guy.

I think it's deeper than that. I think culture and thought patterns have an impact. I also noticed that Gautier rides a lot of BMX.

It's not because of SX. If that was the case US riders wouldn't be as Reed says "Pin It Straight, Brake Hard, Turn Sharp. Right Down The Middle."

Euro Riders in general have better line selection IMO. I also believe that was the key to Roczen winning the Nationals last year. But he's not French.
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1154th
4/27/2015 10:19pm
@ Osaka : I'm pretty sure Gautier was a national BMX champ in his younger days???
kongols
4/27/2015 10:21pm Edited Date/Time 4/27/2015 10:24pm
Amateur program, close/equal to that in USA. Enough said.
themrtoad
4/27/2015 11:59pm
I like to add quite a few of them are also into BMX. Biggest part however must be that lot's of former top riders stay involved and work as mentors for younger riders.

The weather allows them to ride all year long( Duinkerke at least) and pretty close to Spain...

They have lot'f of recent proof that hard work can actually pay off in a succesful career...
4/28/2015 12:26am
EZZA 95B wrote:
@ Osaka : I'm pretty sure Gautier was a national BMX champ in his younger days???
think he was a world champ in bmx
rangot
4/28/2015 12:34am
Back in early 80's, we had "Minivert", which was basically racing from PW50 to 80 cc bikes. It was a big thing compared to several others countries whom had nothing for kids in term of racing. I started racing at 5 y/o on a PW50 with Mickael Pichon as my main rival, as the others class winners were Fred Bolley in 60cc, Yves Demaria in U13 80 cc or JMB in Over 13 80 cc. You get the pictures. Gates were full of fast prospects. Then, our own SX serie started back in 1986 or 87, so long time ago, which gave every rider the desire to ride it and then go to the US. Xavier Audouard and the Moto Verte crew were also pretty inspirational by reporting on the US scene and how everything was so much better in the US, and that state of mind stayed long in every rider heads. As for the line choice and "craftiness", i guess it's just the lack of track prep that contributes to that. Real "US type track prep" is not even 5 y/o here, where the norm is to have a concrete like track with big square bumps everwhere, so you have to learn quickly how to avoid them.
Question
4/28/2015 12:34am Edited Date/Time 4/28/2015 12:38am
1. Xavier Audouard, who made Bercy. That is why lots of people are fan of SX compared to other countries.
2. TF1, the #1 national channel who broadcasted at that time a few hours of SX/MX per year (thanks to JMB too)
3. Jean Louis Bernardelli, the announcer who made the show so interesting.
4. Jean Luc Fouchet (JLFO), former national rider, who started the SX series in France back in 87 if I am correct
5. Jacky Vimond 86 MX world champ and JMB, riders to cheer for and who were idols for kids
6. The prices to bring top AMA riders to Bercy back in the 80 or 90's, the line up was super stacked like the SX des Nations!
7. The generation that came from it, Pichon, DV, Tortelli, Roncada (Demaria, Vialle, Bethys, Porte, Guedard, Boniface, Sorby) and who placed France as the first country after the US in SX.
8. A variety of good MX tracks but also some SX tracks to train on. (many in the 90's, I used to train in SX on my 80!)
9. The French press is great ! Motoverte, MXMagazine, MotoCrampons and Lebigusa
10. Top companies to prepare the bike, such as Bud Racing, Goby, Reptil
11. Minivert (65/85 championships like LL's) and the federation who take care of the best hopes

But to answer the OP the most accurately, I think it is:
12. Weather / soil: it is really muddy in winters, and quite wet in spring and autumn. The soil is kind of what we saw in NJ East Rutherford, most of the time it is not sandy or super hard pack like Texas. A rider that trains for a national or world championship has to put thousands of laps on really muddy tracks with still lots of AMA style jumps (made from all the reasons above) that are very rutty due to the weather. I think if you want to keep it on 2 wheels and stay injury free in these conditions you must improve your balance and technique a lot, start to be really smooth and pick the best lines instead of over riding the track fully pinned like a normal hard pack track in the summer.

jamma10
4/28/2015 1:16am
Osaka627 wrote:
I would like to have a civilized discussion about how & why the Majority of French Riders are typically technically craftier than their counterparts wherever. Is...
I would like to have a civilized discussion about how & why the Majority of French Riders are typically technically craftier than their counterparts wherever. Is it because of JMB & his impact on the sport? Is it the tracks or the dirt? Let's see if someone has a plausible explanation or reasoning?
I think some comes from their mindset, because the French are well known for their 'technical craftiness' and flare in other sports too, notably Rugby, Skiing/Snowboarding, Surfing etc, and maybe to a slightly lesser extent Soccer.
mmcmx
4/28/2015 1:22am Edited Date/Time 4/28/2015 1:26am
I understand the question is not why there are so many good french riders but, why they are so technically gifted?

Then my theory is that its a combination of hard pack tracks and rainy weather. They need to learn to be gentle with the bike to stay on two wheels.
On the north of france the dirt is soft and sandy so no problem if it rains and here in the south its dry. But france is like riding in marbles.
DeStouwer
4/28/2015 1:37am
I think the excellent youth training and guidance program is a very big asset.
rangot
4/28/2015 1:54am
Maybe the invention of democracy, also?
Fearo
4/28/2015 2:11am
If you want to talk about why most of them are so "technically gifted", I'm pretty sure it's because this is what your average French track looks like:

Most of their tracks are incredibly hard and dry, with few ruts, huge height differences, and in general they're very technical. Needless to say, these kinds of conditions promote great throttle control, body positioning, bike control, etc... I believe that's also why French riders do best on the slower, more technical tracks (like Unadilla) instead of the more WFO ones.
steed 2.0
4/28/2015 2:14am
It's really hard for European riders to get accepted by the French scene (chauvinism) Think the (North-West )
ADAC Benelux scene is the place to be right now (Roczen & Herlings)
FB
4/28/2015 2:25am
jamma10 wrote:
I think some comes from their mindset, because the French are well known for their 'technical craftiness' and flare in other sports too, notably Rugby, Skiing/Snowboarding...
I think some comes from their mindset, because the French are well known for their 'technical craftiness' and flare in other sports too, notably Rugby, Skiing/Snowboarding, Surfing etc, and maybe to a slightly lesser extent Soccer.
BINGO
FB
4/28/2015 2:36am
EZZA 95B wrote:
think he was a world champ in bmx
Yes he won a world championship when he was ten. He started MX late, when he was thirteen I think.
4/28/2015 7:19am
Musquin said on Pulp that he became such a technical rider because he wasn't very big and strong and basically had to ride that way.
jasonv43
4/28/2015 7:50am
Is Musquin the best French Rider to come to America ever? I'm leaning that way.
DownSouth
4/28/2015 7:57am Edited Date/Time 4/28/2015 7:58am
jasonv43 wrote:
JMB.

Marv is good but until he proves he can be the best guy in the 450 class and win multiple championships he will be far behind Bayle IMO.
Question
4/28/2015 8:30am
mjskier wrote:
[b]1. Xavier Audouard, who made Bercy. That is why lots of people are fan of SX compared to other countries.[/b] Speaking of which, [url=http://www.motoverte.com/site/welcome-back-james--86429.html]JS7 is planning...
1. Xavier Audouard, who made Bercy. That is why lots of people are fan of SX compared to other countries.

Speaking of which, JS7 is planning on racing the SX of Lille

Awesome news !

This new stadium is really good for AMA riders to do some live testing before the season begins !
YamahaJT1
4/28/2015 8:45am
jasonv43 wrote:
DownSouth wrote:
JMB. Marv is good but until he proves he can be the best guy in the 450 class and win multiple championships he will be far...
JMB.

Marv is good but until he proves he can be the best guy in the 450 class and win multiple championships he will be far behind Bayle IMO.
MM doesn't have the brawn to last long on a 450... He's a very "elegant" rider. I have seen him reeled in outdoors several times in person though. Outdoors AMA 2015 will be "Make or Break" for MM25. If he cannot take the O/A win, he'll have fewer options, like heading back to EU?

But wait, there's MORE! He is a great SX rider!

I'll wager he'll hang in the U.S.A. No Outdoor 450 title, make some bucks and head home after his career is complete.

JMB was the complete "French Connection".
h&m_cycle
4/28/2015 8:54am Edited Date/Time 4/28/2015 8:56am
so the Des Nations is in France this year?

France got Moose, Tixier, Febvre, Paulin, Ferrandis....

That's cheating.
GATOR
4/28/2015 9:09am
jasonv43 wrote:
Are you uncultivated? I'm leaning that way.
Suns_PSD
4/28/2015 9:10am
Did they "steal" democracy before or after they militarily assisted the American Colonies in breaking free from the British Monarch rule? Or was it after they gifted us "Lady Liberty", both figuratively and literally?

The maternal side of my family is all from Corsica and Marseille and it seems that Marseille is much like SoCal in that ideal weather conditions and just the cultural attitude is conducive to MX. The only thing I don't get is the fucking theftand vandalism in that country. According to my cousin who is a cop in Marseille it's essentially impossible to own anything nice at all there as it will instantly be stolen or vandalized.

Anyways, Frenchmen are known to be smooth with the ladies and that smoothness seems to carry over to the MX track as well.
GATOR
4/28/2015 9:13am
DownSouth wrote:
JMB. Marv is good but until he proves he can be the best guy in the 450 class and win multiple championships he will be far...
JMB.

Bayle was better than Vuillemin.
Vuillemin was better than Pichon.
Pichon was better than Pourcel.
Pourcel was better than Musquin.
Wink

Post a reply to: Let's Talk About The French!?!

The Latest