Let’s See Anderson’s Boot

Related:
Create New Tag

6/2/2018 7:42 AM

"According to Rockstar Husqvarna team manager Bobby Hewitt…..They collided and Anderson went flipping over the bars. His foot came down right on the other rider’s footpeg, and that’s what did the damage."

Above the description in DC’s Racerhead column yesterday of what caused the damage to Jason Anderson’s foot during the incident at Glen Helen. Many of us have seen the picture of Jason’s bloody foot still in his motocross sock. I want to see a picture of his boot and what it looks like. When Anderson’s foot came down right on the other riders Footpeg as described was it a matter of a super wide and jagged modern Footpeg simply grabbing and ripping Anderson’s boot apart? I have to wonder about that.

I find it so ironic that we all have brake and clutch levers with little balls on the end of them to prevent puncture wounds during crashes, yet less than 4 ft. away from those lever balls most everybody these days has the modern wide platform Footpegs covered with dozens of jagged teeth or sharp little spikes.
|

“Adhering to 1970’s Standards of Political Correctness”

6/2/2018 7:46 AM

I doubt the peg punctured the boot, the impact probably broke the toe like hitting it with a hammer

|

6/2/2018 7:48 AM

I’m not sure why this pic hasn’t been posted. Was he riding in tennis shoes? Photo

|

6/2/2018 7:48 AM

I'd still like to see a picture of the boot, to see how torn up it might be.

|

6/2/2018 7:53 AM

Pictures from MXA. I don't believe it punctured the boot either, the damage and would is likely from the crushing impact, not from a peg actually going through the boot, there's not a small enough area on the peg to get through the boot and cause a would like that.

Photo
Photo

|

6/2/2018 7:57 AM

We don't really see the right front of the right boot in these pics, the area of the impact. /\

|

6/2/2018 8:04 AM

Reese95w - This pic in Racerhead yesterday had me thinking how bad one of those footpegs could have hurt Baggett.
[img]https://instagram.com/p/BjXcncAH0kp/?utm_source=ig_embed[/img]

|

Motocross....a once in a lifetime experience....every weekend.

6/2/2018 8:09 AM

mxjeff575 wrote:

Reese95w - This pic in Racerhead yesterday had me thinking how bad one of those footpegs could have hurt Baggett.
[img]https://instagram.com/p/BjXcncAH0kp/?utm_source=ig_embed[/img]

And do you guys all remember a few years ago when Dean Wilson crashed on the downhill at Glen Helen and one of his Footpegs ripped the hell out of the back of his knee?

Photo

|

6/2/2018 8:13 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/2/2018 8:13 AM

i got a nice little scar on the inside of my elbow from a peg. nowhere near as bad as Wilsons tho. lol

|

6/2/2018 8:20 AM

Back in the 50’s and 60’s motocross bikes came with non-folding “ankle buster” Footpegs, but even back then most bike companies put little balls on the ends of those Footpegs, just like the little balls we still run on our clutch and brake levers, puncture wound preventing little balls or knobs on the ends.

I think modern Footpegs have gotten out of control and maybe just maybe we need to step back a little for safety sake and require them to be less jagged and sharp.

Photo

|

6/2/2018 8:23 AM

Sharp pegs? According to the local Vitard Industry Insider Secret Society members you shouldn't be out on the track if you feel like there is anything there to be a safety concern. Load up and go home.

Besides, those are Alpinestars he is wearing. They probably saw the peg coming towards all that junky plastic covering them and deteriorated instantly to protect themselves from the impending impact.

Best of luck to a speedy recovery and quick return to the front!

Photo

|

6/2/2018 8:25 AM

Just my opinion but I think the ball could be worse in this case. I really think the surface area of the peg is too big to cut into the boot and injure Ando, I think it was caused by pressure. With a small ball on them, it could create a much smaller surface to impact on which could cause more direct damage as it pushes in.

Secondly, taking traction off the pegs could be consider a loss safety due to lack of grip. Thirdly, how do you determine what’s too sharp when teams file the pegs by hand, enforcing this would be near impossible.

|

6/2/2018 8:32 AM

Reese95w - Modern pegs really are small "knifes" that we all just hope never get us. I guess they are a necessary evil as we need, for safety and speed, to have a good connection to the bike. I wonder what totally different designs could work. For me, anytime it's wet (prepped practice, mud), I feel like i need the sharp pegs to have that solid connection to the bike. In 2007, a local rider crashed in some whoops, and a passing bike caught his neck, with I believe a footpeg, and cut his jugular and he died on the spot sad So, would a rounded edge maybe have not cut, and his injuries might have been survivable? I was thinking, instead of sharp teeth, you could have a high traction rubber compound on the pegs and boot. I just don't know how this would work once wet/muddy.

|

6/2/2018 8:34 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/2/2018 8:36 AM

Well I just hope nobody ever gets their jugular ripped out in a freak accident by jagged Footpegs. That would be a terrible way to go.

Edit: Oh shit, sounds like somebody did!

|

6/2/2018 8:38 AM

I remember early supercross musquin had something close happen to his boot too. Not looking good for a-star

|

6/2/2018 8:46 AM

Just chatted with the main A-Stars race support guy, there was no punctures of the boot, they believe it was caused by the force of the impact. I know Ando’s doctor as well, I reached out to him to confirm if the wound was caused by the compound fracture.

The term compound fracture defines a texture breaking the skin, I’ve personally had two of those and the PR released labels Jason’s injury as a compound fracture.

|

6/2/2018 8:50 AM

Musquins boot Photo

|

6/2/2018 8:51 AM

Are yall really arguing about how sharp footpegs are?

In that case...

Lets change the design of a chain/sprocket. Those teeth are super sharp and could cut your fingers off if you got your hand stuck in there!

Also, exhaust pipe temps are easily over 250 degrees. Lets change how engines work to make exhaust temps lower so no one gets burned! The fact that there is a super hot pipe just inches away from your skin is insane!

Dont even get me started on that tank of highly flamable gasoline that sits right next to your crotch!! What happens if some spills out and catches fire?? Say goodbye to having kids!!

IMO we should replace all moving/hot/flamable parts on a motorcycle with soft teddy bears, that way when we feel offended when someone passes us too hard and we go and make a VitalMX poll about it, we will be ok in our safe space!!

|

6/2/2018 9:18 AM

rmoto003 wrote:

In that case...

Lets change the design of a chain/sprocket. Those teeth are super sharp and could cut your fingers off if you got your hand stuck in there!

Also, exhaust pipe temps are easily over 250 degrees. Lets change how engines work to make exhaust temps lower so no one gets burned! The fact that there is a super hot pipe just inches away from your skin is insane!

Dont even get me started on that tank of highly flamable gasoline that sits right next to your crotch!! What happens if some spills out and catches fire?? Say goodbye to having kids!!

IMO we should replace all moving/hot/flamable parts on a motorcycle with soft teddy bears, that way when we feel offended when someone passes us too hard and we go and make a VitalMX poll about it, we will be ok in our safe space!!

Are you advocating electric bikes with belt or shaft drive and rubber coated pegs?

|

6/2/2018 9:22 AM

"Let’s See Anderson’s Boot" is what the original post in this tread was advocating. Everything else is discussion, that's what discussion groups are about.

|

6/2/2018 9:24 AM

Zesiger 112 wrote:

Musquins boot Photo

Damn. You would think that plastic plate would deflect the impact. But when it's shit grade plastic I guess it has no other choice but to give up and crumble. I had two pair of Tech 8's fall to pieces in the past, no more of that overpriced junk here.

|

6/2/2018 9:24 AM

Didn’t Kyle partridge rip his foot apart on his peg one year?

|

6/2/2018 9:29 AM

ButteryWaffles wrote:

I remember him basically crushing his foot against the wall in an over/under tunnel at the STL SX.

|

6/2/2018 9:32 AM

rmoto003 wrote:

In that case...

What about riders that practice somewhere KNOWING that there are no flaggers!

|

6/2/2018 9:39 AM

newmann wrote:

Damn. You would think that plastic plate would deflect the impact. But when it's shit grade plastic I guess it has no other choice but to give up and crumble. I had two pair of Tech 8's fall to pieces in the past, no more of that overpriced junk here.

I bet you yell at squirrels to get off your front lawn.

|

6/2/2018 9:54 AM

Zesiger 112 wrote:

Musquins boot Photo

newmann wrote:

jorgechavez wrote:

I do daily and it offends me when they flip me off so i stamp my feet in a circle and pout!

|

6/2/2018 9:58 AM

ButteryWaffles wrote:

mxjeff575 wrote:

I remember him basically crushing his foot against the wall in an over/under tunnel at the STL SX.

That was gnarly! His foot literally exploded.

|

6/2/2018 10:09 AM

Reese95w wrote: "According to Rockstar Husqvarna team manager Bobby Hewitt…..They collided and Anderson went flipping over the bars. His foot came down right on the other rider’s footpeg, and that’s what did the damage."

Above the description in DC’s Racerhead column yesterday of what caused the damage to Jason Anderson’s foot during the incident at Glen Helen. Many of us have seen the picture of Jason’s bloody foot still in his motocross sock. I want to see a picture of his boot and what it looks like. When Anderson’s foot came down right on the other riders Footpeg as described was it a matter of a super wide and jagged modern Footpeg simply grabbing and ripping Anderson’s boot apart? I have to wonder about that.

I find it so ironic that we all have brake and clutch levers with little balls on the end of them to prevent puncture wounds during crashes, yet less than 4 ft. away from those lever balls most everybody these days has the modern wide platform Footpegs covered with dozens of jagged teeth or sharp little spikes.

Don't ever go to an ice race, they all have sharp steel spikes sticking out of the tires and you might faint when you see them.
Photo

|

Ed Johnson

6/2/2018 10:29 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/2/2018 10:29 AM

ML512 wrote:

Just chatted with the main A-Stars race support guy, there was no punctures of the boot, they believe it was caused by the force of the impact. I know Ando’s doctor as well, I reached out to him to confirm if the wound was caused by the compound fracture.

The term compound fracture defines a texture breaking the skin, I’ve personally had two of those and the PR released labels Jason’s injury as a compound fracture.

HIPAA violation anyone?

|

6/2/2018 11:06 AM

Zesiger 112 wrote:

Musquins boot Photo

newmann wrote:

jorgechavez wrote:

Don’t have to. Cat 9 takes care of those without having to be told. Next question?

Photo

|