Let the debate begin.

Related:
Create New Tag

4/18/2017 5:17 PM

How well do you think that Alta electric bike will do in the 250 supercross class next year if the AMA allows it. In my personal opinion it might be a little dangerous since the engine does not produce any noise. How are you going to know when the bike is coming up on you if you can't hear it.

|

4/18/2017 5:20 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/18/2017 5:21 PM

I heard it's going to be all electrics in Supercross, so there won't be anything to hear, anyway.

|

4/18/2017 5:22 PM

Im all for the electric bikes, but I do think they need to race a separate class. If everyone is on the silent bike I feel it'd be fine with the noise, because you'd still be able to tell they're coming up behind you being that you don't have the sound of your own bike.

|

4/18/2017 5:23 PM

Except the freaking announcer screaming at 140 db !

|

4/18/2017 5:26 PM

Different class, or mandatory minimum noise threshold. They'll have to add a noisemaker of some kind. Honestly, they are not far off - I could hear that bike on the TV broadcast at Straight Rhythm last year.

I think that bike could do awfully well in SX. Longer MX races might be too taxing on the battery but you never know...

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

4/18/2017 5:28 PM

Someday in the future it might be practical to have all electric bikes in supercross. The reason I brought this topic up is Transworld Motocross has a article on Alta trying get AMA approval to race it in 2018.

|

4/18/2017 5:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/18/2017 5:34 PM

Perhaps they will come with a proximity warning, so you know if they are behind you?

I am sure there will be debates over what class they should be in....

|

Current rides: 2020 CRF450RWE and 2019 TC300
Occasional ride for VMX: 1985 CR500RF
Adventure/Road bike: CRF1000L

4/18/2017 5:34 PM

Its the future, but its also the death of stadium racing. Part of the experience wether you realize it or not, is the noise the bikes make, the exhaust pulse you can feel. Take that away and you are watching races with the mute button. Destroys the in person experience

|

4/18/2017 5:53 PM

About electric mx bikes, not sure they will fit in 250cc supercross, but if the owner of Alta reads this he should know that I could afford to come to a warehouse like K1 Speed and rent your electric bike for 1/2 hour.

I believe that is how to sell and market those cool electric bikes.
Show up and prove you can ride with mx license or M1 and rent the most current electric bike.
Someone please buy an old warehouse and make it like K1 speed for electric bikes, please.

|

4/18/2017 6:11 PM

I see this mentioned every time the topic of electric bikes come up.

This whole thing about the bikes not making noise and causing problems when the electric bike riders come up behind other riders just seems absurd.

Let's be honest,

You are on a 250f, probably wearing ear plugs, and some one comes up behind you on a 250f, how in the hell can you hear them?

Your own exhaust is between you and them, and their exhaust is behind and facing away from you.

How in the hell do you hear them unless you are off the gas and they are still revving?

Add in the other bikes accelerating and jumping in adjoining lanes and the noise becomes even less of an issue.

If there are going to be issues I suspect that it will be with getting parity in power output where one doesn't have a big advantage over the other and possibly how the bikes handle obstacles differently because of their own unique characteristics, similar to how 2st and 4st bikes handle tight turns and bowl turns differently.

|

4/18/2017 6:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/18/2017 6:37 PM

"Electric bikes are the future" is a potential self-fulfilling prophecy I think we should all be cautious of.

I think they could be cool bikes and a lot of fun but at what cost? Despite what the groupthink often tends to be, these bikes will not appease the environmental extremists who target off-road motorsports. At the moment, nobody has proven to be capable of making a competitive electric bike at a price point affordable for the average family. The power characteristic of an electric motor seems like it'll only make doing big jumps even easier for an unskilled rider. I don't think our sport (sorry Watson, I'm calling it "our" sport) is all that healthy and theres even a growing counterculture amongst us getting away from modern bikes. So, I hope this issue isn't forced and the governing bodies handle this properly.

One electric bike I have gotten some experience with is the OSET 12.5 that I bought for my 3 year old son. It is awesome and shows the potential of an electric platform at a somewhat reasonable price.

|

4/18/2017 6:42 PM

I'll be retired from this sport and long gone before they hit main stream. Hearing my motor is part of the reason why I love riding in the first place. Or listening to some guy blitz whoops on a 2 stroke 250......how in the hell could you not miss that?

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

4/18/2017 6:44 PM

Photo

|

4/18/2017 6:50 PM

i just hope they get the power figure better matched than the did with the 2 stroke/ 4 stroke combination,

what will be the measurement they will use, battery output?? motor wattage??

|

4/18/2017 7:45 PM

Brandon_Lake wrote:

How well do you think that Alta electric bike will do in the 250 supercross class next year if the AMA allows it. In my personal opinion it might be a little dangerous since the engine does not produce any noise. How are you going to know when the bike is coming up on you if you can't hear it.

Maybe KTM and Dunge were testing one at St Louis. Reed seen the blue flag, but couldn't hear a bike, so held his line. laughing

|

4/18/2017 7:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/18/2017 7:58 PM

Brandon_Lake wrote:

Why do you need to know if a bike is coming up behind you? If you're racing you shouldn't be moving over.....if you're getting lapped you'll get the blue flag.

Seriously, are you guys constantly changing lines and riding all over the place if you hear a bike getting closer to you?

And have some of you guys never raced in heavy traffic with a full gate of riders? You quickly lose all feel for who is where and you just race forward oblivious you what's around you.

|

4/18/2017 8:13 PM

The fact you can build and ride a track in your backyard without fear of noise complaints is enough to give me a half chub. When the Japanese get on board and and actually make them affordable...full on boner.

|

4/18/2017 8:14 PM

Brandon_Lake wrote:

JB 19 wrote:

Why do you need to know if a bike is coming up behind you? If you're racing you shouldn't be moving over.....if you're getting lapped you'll get the blue flag.

Seriously, are you guys constantly changing lines and riding all over the place if you hear a bike getting closer to you?

And have some of you guys never raced in heavy traffic with a full gate of riders? You quickly lose all feel for who is where and you just race forward oblivious you what's around you.

You've never taken aversive action because you heard a panic rev?

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4/18/2017 8:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/18/2017 8:28 PM

Brandon_Lake wrote:

JB 19 wrote:

Crush wrote:

You've never taken aversive action because you heard a panic rev?

Trust me, I've been to open practice days where I was riding in a line of riders and someone like Jeff Gibson or Levi Kilbarger passed me like I was tied to a tree. They were there and gone before I knew they were even on the track. In my opinion, it's a non issue. If anything it could make it more difficult for riders who like to block to play that game, and in effect safer.

The faster guys will ride right around. I think Blake was too close when he clipped that guy in the video, but he could have been more focused on getting a good video shot. I
He was going so much faster that if he was on a gas bike that guy would have never known he was there to start with.

|

4/18/2017 8:26 PM

scott_nz wrote:

i just hope they get the power figure better matched than the did with the 2 stroke/ 4 stroke combination,

what will be the measurement they will use, battery output?? motor wattage??

It would be fairly easy to mandate a torque and HP curve as the wattage of the motor could be tuned to exactly what was mandated.

|

4/18/2017 8:28 PM

Photo

Sound problem solved

|

4/18/2017 8:47 PM

Had this figured out in 1976. Everything old is new again.grin Again!

Photo

|

You kids get off my lawn!

2013 KTM450 Factory Edition
Projects......lots of projects!

4/18/2017 9:06 PM

Dtat720 wrote:

Its the future, but its also the death of stadium racing. Part of the experience wether you realize it or not, is the noise the bikes make, the exhaust pulse you can feel. Take that away and you are watching races with the mute button. Destroys the in person experience

Watching races with the mute button. Nailed it.

|

4/18/2017 10:28 PM

Brandon_Lake wrote:

Instead of hearing anger revs, you will actually be able to hear "get the fuck out of my way you jackass!!!!" :D

A few have mentioned it would ruin stadium racing and I never thought about it before, but that is a great point! Nobody wants to watch a race muted, that would suck.

|

4/18/2017 11:03 PM

Ask Blake Wharton. He'll give you a great answer.

|

4/18/2017 11:24 PM

People who say it's JUST a sound are really ignorant.

|

4/18/2017 11:26 PM

jeffro503 wrote:

I'll be retired from this sport and long gone before they hit main stream. Hearing my motor is part of the reason why I love riding in the first place. Or listening to some guy blitz whoops on a 2 stroke 250......how in the hell could you not miss that?

x2

|

4/19/2017 12:36 AM

I wouldn't mind having an all electric street bike. I saw one and it was really, really cool.
But on the dirt, I'll be burning fossil fuel for a very, very, very long time (and mixing some oil with it too).

|

4/19/2017 2:06 AM

Dtat720 wrote:

It's pretty hard to hear the bikes at a Supercross anyways. The blaring music and the horrible announcer pretty much drown out the sound now. At home you have non-stop talking also.

|

4/19/2017 4:12 AM

I admit I will miss the noise but the thing I'm hating the most is no clutch and no shifting. That's where most of the challenge of going fast comes from and just twisting a throttle without having to worry about gear selection or keeping the engine in the meat of the power curve just sounds boring.

|