Let Tomac Bye Gate

psg119
10/16/2018 2:51pm
NorCal 50+ wrote:
This sport continues to blow me away. I mean, how much more of an industry shill could you be to hate on the people that support...
This sport continues to blow me away. I mean, how much more of an industry shill could you be to hate on the people that support your site when they complain about big corporations throwing races so you guys can go sell your photos and rack up your web site hits. You want fans or customers, Guy B. It's a cynical as shit attitude. Have a good evening.
GuyB wrote:
I was having a good evening until I come on here and start reading. For the people whining about Joey, consider this. How many people would...
I was having a good evening until I come on here and start reading.

For the people whining about Joey, consider this.

How many people would have hated on him if he hadn't pulled over? More? Less? I'm guessing it would have been about the same. It was a no-win situation for him...even if he had won. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone in the pits who'd argue with what he did.

I think the result would have likely been the same, even if Joey had kept up his pace.

What kind of impression would it have made with the team if he'd won that final main, but cost his new teammate $900,000? Would they have cheered his hard-charging attitude? I find that pretty unlikely.

Eli came from way back. If he'd been third or worse on the track? I'd say it's fair game for Joey to win it. But I'd also guess that there was some discussion about what to do before in various situations before that final main so that there'd be no confusion. Allegedly.

As for being a "corporate shill"? Hey have you got a second?
CozMan wrote:
so did you two hug it out? (referring to your "Hey, have you got a second?" remark). Hate to say it GuyB, but he ain't the...
so did you two hug it out? (referring to your "Hey, have you got a second?" remark). Hate to say it GuyB, but he ain't the first guy to tire of the way you express your opinions toward YOUR CUSTOMERS.

As to the opinion, I tend to agree with our friend NorCal. What you (and some others) fail to recognize is that motocross is one of the rare sports where there are no team tactics. It's man vs. EVERYONE. That's part of the reason why we love it. So yes, throwing the race in the next to last turn so your buddy can win goes against everything that we love about the sport. If ET3 punts Savatgy in the last turn, then good for him. But to pull over (and have the announcers literally laughing at the duo) then a whole helluva lot of us have our jaws hanging agape. The only guy that was rooting for it was the dude that won the $1m. Oh, and ET3. I think that this sets an extremely dangerous precedent for our sport as managers figure out that they could have their 8th place rider "accidentally" take out a series leader while he's coming through the pack....and you better believe there are few team managers thinking about this right now over a cup of coffee.

I wish you'd delegate some of the forum moderation to someone else for your own benefit.
If you think #2 riders haven't been helping their championship contending teammates throughout history you're dreaming. I'm pretty sure we've seen teammates that were getting lapped try to help out each other by trying to get into the competitor during the Reed Vs. JS7 days. There's a reason why there are two and that one is usually faster than the other. All strategy. Especially in the premier class. I'd say it's a less prevalent in the lites as they are all fighting for premier class rides in the end. I think just like Musquin letting Dung by was right for HIM, Savatgy had the same thing in mind. Although some people may not like it, he did what he felt was right for him. And some random kid won $1M because of him! How cool is that?! He helped three people out that night, one including himself. I respect that.
10/16/2018 2:55pm
ctbale wrote:
Here is what happened: Joey knew ET was eating him up by about 2 seconds a lap. He was thinking he didnt want to get ozborned...
Here is what happened:

Joey knew ET was eating him up by about 2 seconds a lap. He was thinking he didnt want to get ozborned last lap and a 2nd is better then laying on the ground again so he went into protection mode. No fixing, no insurance fraud, no team tactics.

I have spoken

Wink
BS, Savatgy was in the zone, he had enough in him to battle ET. Eli was behind him, and Joey moved over, period!
10/16/2018 4:41pm Edited Date/Time 10/16/2018 4:42pm
Bottom line - Tomac did not go 1-1-1 fair and square. His teammate very clearly and obviously let him by for the win. Totally lame but so too is the MEC event as a whole, so it's par for the course. A completely inconsequential race. They had to give a fan $1M to keep the interest level up. Double lame.
10/16/2018 5:43pm
Bottom line - Tomac did not go 1-1-1 fair and square. His teammate very clearly and obviously let him by for the win. Totally lame but...
Bottom line - Tomac did not go 1-1-1 fair and square. His teammate very clearly and obviously let him by for the win. Totally lame but so too is the MEC event as a whole, so it's par for the course. A completely inconsequential race. They had to give a fan $1M to keep the interest level up. Double lame.
I think most who watched had no idea there was a chance a fan could win a million until they said something on the broadcast. So I don't think they had to do that to keep the interest up at all, most were happy to watch some racing.

The Shop

Post a reply to: Let Tomac Bye Gate

The Latest