Less Daniel Blair < Rutledge wood? WTF

kkawboy14
2/15/2021 9:20am
Maybe he just works for hot dogs, free admission and a cheesy sx shirt from the race?
TeamGreen
2/15/2021 9:25am Edited Date/Time 2/15/2021 10:36am
TeamGreen wrote:
Y’all don’t seem to get the “lowest common denominator” mentality that NBC is marketing to...

Grinning
Yeah....

Hey....wait a minute!

Well, you obviously get it & that means I’m “under the bus” with y’all! Silly

On a more serious note: Rut-dawg is suppose to appeal the the gaming-couch-dweller nerds, like him, that NBC is trying to get their hooks in to. That’s all that is goin’ on here. Doesn’t phase me or bother me, at all.
Crossup
2/15/2021 9:37am Edited Date/Time 2/15/2021 10:18am
Rutledge was always extremely annoying, like a man child when he first came into NASCAR. I couldn’t stand him. I haven’t watched a NASCAR race in...
Rutledge was always extremely annoying, like a man child when he first came into NASCAR. I couldn’t stand him. I haven’t watched a NASCAR race in forever. But why is he coming to Supercross? Please don’t let him replace Daniel, or even get into the sport
I'm sure NBC's not listening to me but, I have no interest in a 'Rutledge Wood'.

When NBC or anybody else does the demographics for people watching 3 hours of Supercross it has to primarily be a fan, or a-participant-in-the-sport viewer, not the casual viewer. Those people are looking for better coverage, more detailed analysis, the inside track, and some moto fun. Daniel Blair nails all of this. He is trying to get non-podium racer input, he has a nice Blair's Breakdown segment covering the tracks. He was even psyched about getting Jett Lawrence to bark on camera during the Heat Race Podium interview. Fun stuff.

As you said above regarding Rutledge Wood, the last thing I want to see is a pudgy donut-eating millennial faking it till his next gig. No interest.

The Shop

Stuntman949
2/15/2021 10:23am
Rutledge is the worst thing to happen to television
chief_jubs
2/15/2021 10:31am
Blackie59 wrote:
Listening to Weege and Langston has ruined Supercross for me. NBC should just let those two do both and all it a day.
YES!
LKHill
2/15/2021 10:43am
All kinds of money to run this clown show but they couldn't scrape up enough to go Hollywood. WTF!
AxlBundy
2/15/2021 10:59am
Looks chubby, but it’s just a complete lack of muscle mass. Wears like a 30 skinny jean
LKHill
2/15/2021 11:43am
tuttle425 wrote:
I have bitched about the broadcast as much as anyone but I don't really care about the announcers. Yeah, this Rutledge dude was out of nowhere...
I have bitched about the broadcast as much as anyone but I don't really care about the announcers. Yeah, this Rutledge dude was out of nowhere and if he's around the rest of the races, whatever. Most announcers in sports suck. NFL has one or two good teams, college football same, baseball same, etc.

What I care about is what they are showing and talking about on the screen. Christian Craig, or any rider, sitting on the side of the track getting looked at by medic crews two laps after they crashed, don't care. Showing me what happened two races ago during the current race, no thanks. And the worst offender of all...showing the god damn GoPro track preview during the race (nationals).

My god, show all of that shit between the races. We have 20 damn minutes between the LCQ and the 250 main and another 20 minutes between the 250 and 450 mains. Dissect the crashes then. Show us the track preview then. Show us the the drama from previous races then. Do not cut away from racing action at all with the exception of PIP replays of major events within the race.
NBC could fuck up a good wet dream. Are Fox motorsports broadcast by hollywood types? They don't give a rats ass about growing the sport. All they are looking to do is rake us, cut costs and max out peacock subs for the wall street types(bottom line guys) so thy can rake in options and cash out.
2/15/2021 12:12pm
How many commentators do we need? What exactly does Will do anyway? Seems they cut to her for fluff, then a pass happens and they cut...
How many commentators do we need? What exactly does Will do anyway? Seems they cut to her for fluff, then a pass happens and they cut her off. Token female?
absolutely agree. She's now telling us about how great it is that the more seasoned riders (Colt) are developing a relationship with the younger riders (Jett) because they had a chat after the race!!! what???
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
2/15/2021 12:16pm
How many commentators do we need? What exactly does Will do anyway? Seems they cut to her for fluff, then a pass happens and they cut...
How many commentators do we need? What exactly does Will do anyway? Seems they cut to her for fluff, then a pass happens and they cut her off. Token female?
Mustang505 wrote:
absolutely agree. She's now telling us about how great it is that the more seasoned riders (Colt) are developing a relationship with the younger riders (Jett)...
absolutely agree. She's now telling us about how great it is that the more seasoned riders (Colt) are developing a relationship with the younger riders (Jett) because they had a chat after the race!!! what???
It actually is pretty cool to see Jett and Colt just shooting the shit sitting on the side of a berm after the race. Don’t really see that often
RG1
2/15/2021 12:21pm Edited Date/Time 2/15/2021 12:22pm
I don’t want to be critical when we have live racing on for 3 hours every Saturday night, but it’s stuff like this that just blows my mind. At the end of the day it just comes down to terrible decision making. When you cut way from the race for the win with lap and a half to go to show a replay of 3 weeks ago, that’s a bad decision. When you give someone like Daniel Blair, who has excellent insight and is great at his job, less time on TV in favour of someone who can’t add anything of any meaning, that’s a bad decision. They’ve been doing this a long time now. They should know better
LKHill
2/15/2021 12:22pm Edited Date/Time 2/15/2021 12:24pm
soggy wrote:
It actually is pretty cool to see Jett and Colt just shooting the shit sitting on the side of a berm after the race. Don’t really...
It actually is pretty cool to see Jett and Colt just shooting the shit sitting on the side of a berm after the race. Don’t really see that often
Both class acts and at the top of the sport. Reminds me of some of the Superheros from the 1980's
2/15/2021 12:23pm
Blackie59 wrote:
Listening to Weege and Langston has ruined Supercross for me. NBC should just let those two do both and all it a day.
What state do you live in? Please run for Governor and later president. RC is great at calling imminent passes and giving a champions perspective. I would hate to lose that. But... There is really nothing better than W and L announcing. They are knowledgeable experience talented and passionate about it.
aeffertz
2/15/2021 12:35pm
brocster wrote:
I have created two casual fans at work since H1. One is an old school mx’er that was away from the sport for many many years...
I have created two casual fans at work since H1. One is an old school mx’er that was away from the sport for many many years. The other is an Australian that was into Moto GP in the early 2000’s and never watched SX or MX ever. It’s funny that lots of what they have to say on Monday mornings is about the announcing and the overall broadcast. “Ricky looks and sounds uncomfortable”, “he doesn’t know what to do with his hands”, “fumbling of words”, “why do they not show the leaders”, “why do they cut away at the most in opportune time”, “why is Diffy on there, he got the boot from Moto GP”. Pretty difficult and time consuming to explain how we got where we are. Not sure where this leaves other casual fans, but if it’s guys that are watching other “professional” broadcasts, we are being laughed at as a “professional” sport.

Blair
Reynard
Weedge
Langston

Call it a day!
Going against the grain of this thread (and you can see my gripes in an earlier comment I made) but I have also forced a new fan into the sport this year.

My girlfriend knew nothing about motocross/supercross other than the “Supercross movie” with Channing Tatum (sp?). She makes no mention of the broadcast missing stuff, being bad or hating on the announcing. She just watched what they show and enjoys it. Meanwhile I’m stewing or getting frustrated because they’re cutting away from the race, missing battles, talking to this random NASCAR guy, etc. I was surprised at how much she got into the races recently now that she’s getting more familiar with it and she was cheering at the TV when Colt was making his way back up to the front.

I guess my point is, the way they are doing it now isn’t putting off any new viewers that they are hoping to get but it sure as shit is annoying anyone who wants to see all the racing aspects. We are very critical because we don’t want to be treated like someone who knows nothing but I must say the current formula works enough to make a new viewer interested. I do think if they tightened up the programming it wouldn’t deter new fans though.

JUST SHOW THE RACING WHEN THE RACING IS HAPPENING. I don’t understand how that isn’t the number one rule of this damn broadcast team. It’s like they fucking WAIT until the main events start to show everyone random fluff.
Dirtydeeds
Fantasy
2892nd
2/15/2021 6:52pm Edited Date/Time 2/15/2021 6:52pm
brocster wrote:
I have created two casual fans at work since H1. One is an old school mx’er that was away from the sport for many many years...
I have created two casual fans at work since H1. One is an old school mx’er that was away from the sport for many many years. The other is an Australian that was into Moto GP in the early 2000’s and never watched SX or MX ever. It’s funny that lots of what they have to say on Monday mornings is about the announcing and the overall broadcast. “Ricky looks and sounds uncomfortable”, “he doesn’t know what to do with his hands”, “fumbling of words”, “why do they not show the leaders”, “why do they cut away at the most in opportune time”, “why is Diffy on there, he got the boot from Moto GP”. Pretty difficult and time consuming to explain how we got where we are. Not sure where this leaves other casual fans, but if it’s guys that are watching other “professional” broadcasts, we are being laughed at as a “professional” sport.

Blair
Reynard
Weedge
Langston

Call it a day!
aeffertz wrote:
Going against the grain of this thread (and you can see my gripes in an earlier comment I made) but I have also forced a new...
Going against the grain of this thread (and you can see my gripes in an earlier comment I made) but I have also forced a new fan into the sport this year.

My girlfriend knew nothing about motocross/supercross other than the “Supercross movie” with Channing Tatum (sp?). She makes no mention of the broadcast missing stuff, being bad or hating on the announcing. She just watched what they show and enjoys it. Meanwhile I’m stewing or getting frustrated because they’re cutting away from the race, missing battles, talking to this random NASCAR guy, etc. I was surprised at how much she got into the races recently now that she’s getting more familiar with it and she was cheering at the TV when Colt was making his way back up to the front.

I guess my point is, the way they are doing it now isn’t putting off any new viewers that they are hoping to get but it sure as shit is annoying anyone who wants to see all the racing aspects. We are very critical because we don’t want to be treated like someone who knows nothing but I must say the current formula works enough to make a new viewer interested. I do think if they tightened up the programming it wouldn’t deter new fans though.

JUST SHOW THE RACING WHEN THE RACING IS HAPPENING. I don’t understand how that isn’t the number one rule of this damn broadcast team. It’s like they fucking WAIT until the main events start to show everyone random fluff.
Side note, I always enjoy when they show the track map after all the heats.
2/15/2021 7:13pm
Blair is killing it...been a fan since his Excitebike days with Ryan Clark...Tongue He's a student of the announcing game, and will have RC's job soon. Weege and Blair in the booth. Rut's ok, but not the future.
holeshot413
Fantasy
1687th
2/16/2021 9:30am
This Rutledge guy has been floating around for years. I'm not sure what they insist on shoehorning him into something like supercross. He comes across as...
This Rutledge guy has been floating around for years. I'm not sure what they insist on shoehorning him into something like supercross. He comes across as a hipster poser with no value add... come NBC you can do better than this!
Like that sal dude?
MX252
2/16/2021 2:51pm
I like hearing what DB has to offer, I also like hearing what The Goat has to say, who is the guy that is doing the qualifying show with Daniel he knows what he's doing and they have a great show for several hours if your watching qualifying and practice sessions, Rutledge showed up in NASCAR a few years ago he has a following with a certain target audience, and if he stays on SX for a few more broadcasts he will grow on you, I think he started out on the show Top-Gear and someone likes him!!
2/18/2021 8:31am
Blair is killing it...been a fan since his Excitebike days with Ryan Clark...:P He's a student of the announcing game, and will have RC's job soon...
Blair is killing it...been a fan since his Excitebike days with Ryan Clark...Tongue He's a student of the announcing game, and will have RC's job soon. Weege and Blair in the booth. Rut's ok, but not the future.
I wish this were true but it’s not looking good for DB moving into the booth. This year they had the perfect chance to at least test him out. With Ralph gone they had to fill all the rounds but didn’t know who would be the best so they chose to use multiple guys while leaving 2-3 rounds “open” toward the end of the year for someone new like DB or someone else they wanted to try out. By 5 rounds in they filled those 2-3 rounds with the two guys they have. My buddy who does marketing for nbcs and his a huge moto fan is very much on “our” side but said he learned quickly not to question the broadcast team. I think that shows the culture the supercross broadcast team is working under. We don’t want feedback because our egos are too big and we know what we are doing. I usually would never bitch about these kinds of issues because I’m one of the people who just likes/enjoyed my Saturday nights of moto. I love the sport a ton being involved from a sponsor side, mini dad side, and fan side. I do think there is a point in time where you must be critical to preserve at minimum which is where I’m at but there are many people who go above that trying to grow/improve the sport. Those people need to be better thinking than I and I hope we as fans get those people in positions at feld, nbc, mx sports ect...
devotid
Fantasy
315th
2/18/2021 9:48am
Ill take uncle Jim Holley over all these turkeys.
ShawdowGlen
2/18/2021 10:36am
soggy wrote:
It actually is pretty cool to see Jett and Colt just shooting the shit sitting on the side of a berm after the race. Don’t really...
Totally agree.

Right up there with top finishers stopping and congratulating the winner... and that includes the "man hug".

Spudnut
2/18/2021 11:03am
In a perfect world we would have Holley Bailey and Weege.

Post a reply to: Less Daniel Blair < Rutledge wood? WTF

The Latest