Lend me your thoughts - My 2021 Tech 10’s

erik_94COBRA
10/14/2020 1:29pm
What's the fitment like on SIDI boots for those of you that have them? All I'm finding is a size 12.5. Nothing larger. Anyody with size...
What's the fitment like on SIDI boots for those of you that have them? All I'm finding is a size 12.5. Nothing larger. Anyody with size 13 feet have some SIDI's in a 12.5? I wore them BITD, but that was 15+ years ago.
Size 13 boot wearer here and a fan of minimalist boots (lighter and easier to move in).

Gaerne have very wide and accommodating toe boxes. I went through 3 pair of their GX-1 boot and got 80-100 hrs out of each. They made some changes to that boot and I switched to Sidi X-3 TA. These are better boots but a bit narrower. Still plenty roomy for larger feet. I have maybe 50 hrs on the X-3 and the soles are about half done at this point.

Atomic Moto has lots of very useful boot info on sizing and fit.

Wearing out in 10 hours sounds like manufacturing defect to me.
TeamGreen
10/14/2020 1:33pm
Get them resoled and work on your foot positioning. They last much longer if you have proper foot positioning. Alpinestar will tell you the same thing.
They didn’t say anything about that. I also fail to see the logic in that. If I position my feet differently, they will wear out in...
They didn’t say anything about that. I also fail to see the logic in that. If I position my feet differently, they will wear out in a different spot. The only thing they said was that the soles wear out faster due to the size of my feet to which I say, bigger boots should come with harder compound soles if that’s the case because there’s no excuse for 10 hour sole life. MX boots are made for people like me who ride MX. They either work or they don’t. Like I said in earlier posts, I’ve tried riding more on the balls of my feet and it does not work for me. I’m 6’2” with knee braces and big feet. My knees are shot. This is the way I ride and it works for me.
It appears that there's a "lost point" on foot postioning; which, is a simple fact of life in moto...go ask any coach that's knowledgeable on the matter. Also, I had to deal with foot postioning per my Ortho-doc who came out and watched me ride -post surgery- to get a feel for what I was "doing to my knees and ankles" when I rode. He told me the -exact- same thing as a few other wise riding coaches...
Get Off Your Arches and "use your natural suspension". I've had everyone from fellow riders to coaches and even Marty Smith...who was both AMAZING coach and AWESOME rider...remind me to "get back on the balls of your feet" (2019 at Pala...I'm still thankful for that day).

This will also affect how long the arches last on our boots...no matter what sole compositon you have.

To that end; and, not to miss the point of your OP: I'd be PISSED if I was looking at the bottom of my $600 after so few hours. Dude, I TRULY GET THAT!

With that said, and as a guy with 3 sets of A-Stars out in the shop...

Fix'em.
Sell'em.
Move on.

The foot positioning "thing" that's been discussed in here is an issue that will help your knees. As an old dude that's 57 years old and still loves to ride...A LOT...I truly hope you'll look into this and work on it. It'll make your riding...and your knees...healthier, happier...hell..better.
And, hey, your boots will last longer, too! Silly

Best of luck,

Manny
Handy_andy_85
Fantasy
1437th
10/14/2020 1:51pm
I wore through the insert on my Tech 7s at 10hrs as well. I have been nursing them along all season with clear shoe goo every couple rides. Time for new soles after 1 season. I do have extremely sharp pegs and race a couch instead of a bike so I have to move around alot more repositioning for every turn. Hoping Leatt's are a little more durable next season.

The Shop

crowe660
Fantasy
4049th
10/14/2020 2:02pm
After reading this, I got nervous as I’ve been running tech 10’s this year And ran to the basement to check my soles. My T10’s have maybe 15 hours, and they’re good so far I suppose. I’m on sharpened stock Yamaha pegs, 175lbs. (SG12’s have well over 100 hours)

I was a SG guy since Tech 8’s we’re hot. But decided to give 10’s a try. Love them so far. The ankle support is a huge plus for me over the SG12’s. I’ve always been an arch guy, and the 10’s make it feel a lot safer moving to my balls. They’re noticeably lighter that the SG’s.

Also, for someone that asked, SG’s, I wear a 10, and an 11 in Tech 10’s.

10/14/2020 2:39pm
Those are my Forma predator with approximately 70hours on them: 40 on stock CRF peg and 30 on Raptor titanium. They started showing some wear when I switched to the Raptor, before that, they were like new. I'm 180lbs and they are size 43 euro

Mr. Afterbar
10/14/2020 6:47pm
TeamGreen wrote:
It appears that there's a "lost point" on foot postioning; which, is a simple fact of life in moto...go ask any coach that's knowledgeable on the...
It appears that there's a "lost point" on foot postioning; which, is a simple fact of life in moto...go ask any coach that's knowledgeable on the matter. Also, I had to deal with foot postioning per my Ortho-doc who came out and watched me ride -post surgery- to get a feel for what I was "doing to my knees and ankles" when I rode. He told me the -exact- same thing as a few other wise riding coaches...
Get Off Your Arches and "use your natural suspension". I've had everyone from fellow riders to coaches and even Marty Smith...who was both AMAZING coach and AWESOME rider...remind me to "get back on the balls of your feet" (2019 at Pala...I'm still thankful for that day).

This will also affect how long the arches last on our boots...no matter what sole compositon you have.

To that end; and, not to miss the point of your OP: I'd be PISSED if I was looking at the bottom of my $600 after so few hours. Dude, I TRULY GET THAT!

Fix'em.
Sell'em.
Move on.

The foot positioning "thing" that's been discussed in here is an issue that will help your knees. As an old dude that's 57 years old and still loves to ride...A LOT...I truly hope you'll look into this and work on it. It'll make your riding...and your knees...healthier, happier...hell..better.

Best of luck,

Manny
I’ll try to work on it! Going to be difficult to change the way I ride after 30+ years. I don’t know how tall you are, but trying to get my feet further back on the pegs when I go from sitting to standing is difficult. Perhaps a slightly taller seat foam would help.
TeamGreen
10/14/2020 6:54pm Edited Date/Time 10/14/2020 6:57pm
TeamGreen wrote:
It appears that there's a "lost point" on foot postioning; which, is a simple fact of life in moto...go ask any coach that's knowledgeable on the...

Fix'em.
Sell'em.
Move on.

Best of luck,

Manny
I’ll try to work on it! Going to be difficult to change the way I ride after 30+ years. I don’t know how tall you are...
I’ll try to work on it! Going to be difficult to change the way I ride after 30+ years. I don’t know how tall you are, but trying to get my feet further back on the pegs when I go from sitting to standing is difficult. Perhaps a slightly taller seat foam would help.
I've got a "cheater method" and it's fun, easy...and it kind of get's to me as I bring it up...because, I really...really...miss this guy...

Go look for some videos of Danny Hamel (DH1) racing his KX500 in the dez...HAMMERING WHOOPS...and "Jus' Chillin' over the front of the bike"...it's glorious! It's the perfect defintion of a Big Man Motoing.

Big Dudes can CRUSH it...
yak651
Fantasy
214th
10/14/2020 7:44pm
At least you don't ride on your toes like that other ass clown suggested.
LaughingLaughing
You should get smaller feet LaughingLaughing
yz133rider
10/14/2020 8:11pm
I’m getting either sg10s or Sidi atojos next and sole durability and ankle protection are key for me.

Gaernes seem to last like iron according to several on here, and Sidis the sole are replaceable and last long from reports also.

I also ride on my arches and destroy soles quickly.
Myke
Fantasy
2883rd
10/14/2020 10:25pm
Mr. Afterbar
10/15/2020 4:31am
Myke wrote:
[embed][/embed]
Done it numerous times already. There are no sole inserts available anywhere that I can find in a size 13/14 except Alpinestars who I am going to have resole my boots.

And to those who keep saying that foot positioning will make the soles last longer, that may be true and I’m going to try to work on it, but it also doesn’t change the fact that I’ve never had soles wear out this fast and I’ve always ridden that way. Thanks everyone for their input. If I decide to wear the boots after getting them resoled with a V1 insert, I’ll keep you posted on my results.
Indy mxer
10/15/2020 4:48am
Myke wrote:
[embed][/embed]
Done it numerous times already. There are no sole inserts available anywhere that I can find in a size 13/14 except Alpinestars who I am going...
Done it numerous times already. There are no sole inserts available anywhere that I can find in a size 13/14 except Alpinestars who I am going to have resole my boots.

And to those who keep saying that foot positioning will make the soles last longer, that may be true and I’m going to try to work on it, but it also doesn’t change the fact that I’ve never had soles wear out this fast and I’ve always ridden that way. Thanks everyone for their input. If I decide to wear the boots after getting them resoled with a V1 insert, I’ll keep you posted on my results.
It does seem like more than a few people have wear issues with AS. You very rarely hear about issues with Gaerne or Sidi. Mostly AS.
Foot positioning shouldn't matter. Either a boot wears well or it doesn't.

I've worn SG 10's for years and have yet to wear a pair out. I usually give them away to a kid who can use them and buy a new pair, just because I want a different color. But I only weigh 150, so that does make a difference.
cloud41
10/15/2020 5:54am Edited Date/Time 10/15/2020 6:01am
cloud41 wrote:
You’re standing on the pegs wrong - supposed to be on your toes. The toe area is much harder than the replaceable sole in the middle.
Please provide proof of you riding on your toes. The sole inserts are replaceable because that’s where people stand. My riding is fine the way it...
Please provide proof of you riding on your toes. The sole inserts are replaceable because that’s where people stand. My riding is fine the way it is and standing on the peg differently isn’t going to change these garbage soles.
LKHill wrote:
You are not supposed to ride on your toes Bro. I understand the OP feelings about not wanting to stop riding on his arches. It feels...
You are not supposed to ride on your toes Bro. I understand the OP feelings about not wanting to stop riding on his arches. It feels strange and intimidating when you try to stop doing it and it took months for me to overcome. Bottom line is it's safer and you have more control when you don't. You also will never be able to get truly neutral on the bike doing it.

Back to his boots, something is not right with those soles.Did A-Stars change the sole? To come in here as a fanboy and bash A-Star boots is lame. Are there more durable boots? Sure there is. That does not mean there are not other good reasons for buying them. Price($350), Fit(high arch-narrow foot), and protection top my list.

You’re supposed to ride on your toes/balls of your feet, Bro. This is basic technique that gives you leverage at the ankle. Riding on your arches eliminates leverage at the ankle and moves the energy to the next pivot point - the knee. Here are photos of the (2) sets of the old style tech10s I run. Both have well over 150 hours on each set with the stock soles while using pro pegs foot pegs. I also added a photo of Osbourne showing how it’s done.

Indy mxer
10/15/2020 6:14am
Please provide proof of you riding on your toes. The sole inserts are replaceable because that’s where people stand. My riding is fine the way it...
Please provide proof of you riding on your toes. The sole inserts are replaceable because that’s where people stand. My riding is fine the way it is and standing on the peg differently isn’t going to change these garbage soles.
LKHill wrote:
You are not supposed to ride on your toes Bro. I understand the OP feelings about not wanting to stop riding on his arches. It feels...
You are not supposed to ride on your toes Bro. I understand the OP feelings about not wanting to stop riding on his arches. It feels strange and intimidating when you try to stop doing it and it took months for me to overcome. Bottom line is it's safer and you have more control when you don't. You also will never be able to get truly neutral on the bike doing it.

Back to his boots, something is not right with those soles.Did A-Stars change the sole? To come in here as a fanboy and bash A-Star boots is lame. Are there more durable boots? Sure there is. That does not mean there are not other good reasons for buying them. Price($350), Fit(high arch-narrow foot), and protection top my list.

cloud41 wrote:
You’re supposed to ride on your toes/balls of your feet, Bro. This is basic technique that gives you leverage at the ankle. Riding on your arches...
You’re supposed to ride on your toes/balls of your feet, Bro. This is basic technique that gives you leverage at the ankle. Riding on your arches eliminates leverage at the ankle and moves the energy to the next pivot point - the knee. Here are photos of the (2) sets of the old style tech10s I run. Both have well over 150 hours on each set with the stock soles while using pro pegs foot pegs. I also added a photo of Osbourne showing how it’s done.

That is the proper position. But as I said, it has nothing to do with permature wear.
Most riders don't ride like that and don't have issues with soles wearing out too fast.
It seems to be a problem with AS most often on this forum.

Obvouisly the OP has a big problem with his $600 boots. At that price they should outlast any top of the line boot, but it seems like they don't.
LKHill
10/15/2020 6:26am Edited Date/Time 10/15/2020 6:41am
cloud41 wrote:
You’re supposed to ride on your toes/balls of your feet, Bro. This is basic technique that gives you leverage at the ankle. Riding on your arches...

LMAO! I can cherry pick too. In fact for every one picture of him riding on his toes I can find 10+ of him riding on the balls for his feet or further back. In fact name 1 credible motocross riding coach that advocates for riding on your toes. I fully understand the principle of riding on the balls of you feet but you seemed to think I needed a lecture.
OldnBroken
10/15/2020 7:12am
I’ve got 80hrs this season on my Tech 10s and my soles are good, however, the stitching holding the protective layer on the inner surface (bike side) of my right boot let go and now the boots are toast.
RCMXracing
10/15/2020 9:27am Edited Date/Time 10/15/2020 9:52am
cloud41 wrote:

The actual deal is proven by your boot sole pics... move your feet, clearly you’re moving them around, wear everywhere, that’s a good thing. No top rider locks his position with feet or any other part of body. Move your feet!

Don’t take my word, there’s an old riding tip video from the king himself, MC, where he talks about this. 22:20-24:15
https://youtu.be/P3SbTszU-8A
charlie68
2/28/2021 1:55pm
Did the new soles last any longer or did you sell them?
mirramaxx
3/1/2021 4:08pm Edited Date/Time 3/1/2021 4:10pm
Alpinestars WILL NOT warranty what they call 'Rider wear" for free. I had an issue getting dirt in my tech 10s when out riding my Dirt cycle, here is why https://www.instagram.com/p/B9SSjW4g2eh/ I have a kick starter... I didn't have proper "kick starting foot position"

It was like 60 dollars plus shipping both ways for them to do the repair. 10 days for A stars to do the repair etc etc.

So I went Wild wild west style and got my boots fixed at a local repair shop for around 55 plus tax. 2 days later I was riding. The local boot shop guy was awesome, may even add carbon fiber to the soles!

Check out a local boot shop today!!! https://olesbootandshoerepair.com/ here's mine !
3/1/2021 10:58pm Edited Date/Time 3/1/2021 11:02pm
Get them resoled and work on your foot positioning. They last much longer if you have proper foot positioning. Alpinestar will tell you the same thing.
They didn’t say anything about that. I also fail to see the logic in that. If I position my feet differently, they will wear out in...
They didn’t say anything about that. I also fail to see the logic in that. If I position my feet differently, they will wear out in a different spot. The only thing they said was that the soles wear out faster due to the size of my feet to which I say, bigger boots should come with harder compound soles if that’s the case because there’s no excuse for 10 hour sole life. MX boots are made for people like me who ride MX. They either work or they don’t. Like I said in earlier posts, I’ve tried riding more on the balls of my feet and it does not work for me. I’m 6’2” with knee braces and big feet. My knees are shot. This is the way I ride and it works for me.
At least you don't ride on your toes like that other ass clown suggested.
Only time I shift up on my heels as if I’m gonna case the fuck out of something and I’m trying to save my ankles.

Edit. Wow swear I read heels not toes. Long day.

My buddy had the same issue you’re describing here and I’m not sure why maybe it was just a bad run of souls but mine wear nicely. No holes.
charlie68
3/6/2021 5:50am
Only time I shift up on my heels as if I’m gonna case the fuck out of something and I’m trying to save my ankles. Edit...
Only time I shift up on my heels as if I’m gonna case the fuck out of something and I’m trying to save my ankles.

Edit. Wow swear I read heels not toes. Long day.

My buddy had the same issue you’re describing here and I’m not sure why maybe it was just a bad run of souls but mine wear nicely. No holes.
I was curious if the replacements soles wear better.....
SlS257
3/6/2021 7:34am
Mine wore out at 15-20 hours. Alpinestars said its $100 and a month to re sole. The office is empty there because of covid. I bought a pair of sg-12 and they're great. Alpinestars/Hi point are the only boots Ive worn since I was 5, sucks I had to switch. I may send them in at some point. Most of my long time moto friends have switched to SG for the same reason. Some people have never had an issue, wish I was one of them because they look sick and are super comfy.
Hopefully its just a random issue for some.
O&GDriller
3/6/2021 8:26am
Astar soles have always sucked from a longevity standpoint. About 12 years ago I finally got tired of replacing or buying new booys. Switched to Gaerne and have never looked back. Gaerne soles last at least several years riding 200 hours/year.
3/6/2021 9:18am
About 25 hours trail riding. Why does the left boot wear out way faster then the right boot?

3/6/2021 9:36am
About 25 hours trail riding. Why does the left boot wear out way faster then the right boot? [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/03/06/481761/s1200_397ED5B2_A3BD_4C2A_9849_3DFA5C1EB163.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/03/06/481760/s1200_AD192925_B3BC_411B_AF7A_9061910452F0.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/03/06/481759/s1200_21E43EA5_A484_455D_B003_1F46B1F53B79.jpg[/img]
About 25 hours trail riding. Why does the left boot wear out way faster then the right boot?

shifting

Post a reply to: Lend me your thoughts - My 2021 Tech 10’s

The Latest