Lend me your thoughts - My 2021 Tech 10’s

Related:
Create New Tag

10/13/2020 1:22 PM

I’m interested to hear other people’s experiences with sole wear on their Tech 10’s. Below are my 2021 Tech 10’s that had 10 hours of use before the sole insert wore completely through. How would you feel about this if it happened to you and would you expect anything to be done about it by the manufacturer?

I understand that lots of people love Alpinestars and based on that fact alone will post negative comments toward me for posting this. I also understand that some people have used Tech 10’s for years and their soles probably show no signs of wear. Put yourself in my boots and please provide your thoughts.

Photo
Photo

Photo

|

10/13/2020 1:36 PM

It depends on what pegs you run, also. If you run sharp pegs, they’ll wear quicker. I think alpinestars are a great boot, but I do run to pegs which are sharp and loved to chew how my tech 10 souls. I switched to Sidi and get a much longer life out of them.

10 hours is awful quick, though.

|

10/13/2020 1:38 PM

Mkerrwrench wrote:

It depends on what pegs you run, also. If you run sharp pegs, they’ll wear quicker. I think alpinestars are a great boot, but I do run to pegs which are sharp and loved to chew how my tech 10 souls. I switched to Sidi and get a much longer life out of them.

10 hours is awful quick, though.

I forgot to mention that these boots were only used on my 2021 KX 450 with stock foot pegs. Not sharpened.

|

10/13/2020 1:47 PM

Damn dude....how much do you weigh ?? That may have some relevance to how quickly your soles wear. I'm 220 with gear and like the other guy mentioned with his Sidi boots....they've lasted a hell of a lot longer than ten hours. Especially with a stock peg.

|

10/13/2020 1:54 PM

Bramlett321 wrote:

Damn dude....how much do you weigh ?? That may have some relevance to how quickly your soles wear. I'm 220 with gear and like the other guy mentioned with his Sidi boots....they've lasted a hell of a lot longer than ten hours. Especially with a stock peg.

I am currently 210 lbs without gear so about the same as you. I’ve been racing 30 years and have never seen anything like it in such a short amount of time.

|

10/13/2020 1:56 PM

Try SG12’s. Better fit and put 100+ hours on them without a problem. 10 hours is quick though, some friends of me ride with tech10 but none of them are worn out that quick

|

10/13/2020 1:59 PM

Something doesn't add up.. Maybe your hour meter is off by 30 hours?

|

10/13/2020 2:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/13/2020 2:05 PM

Jardo wrote:

Something doesn't add up.. Maybe your hour meter is off by 30 hours?

I wish that was the case, but it’s not. These boots just came out the last week of July and I only get to ride on weekends. Same week I got my ‘21 KX. I rode with them the next 5 weekends and then had to wear my old boots.

|

10/13/2020 2:06 PM

Never had Tech 10s but I've had probably 15 different makes/models of boots over the years. That is a TON of wear for 10 hours.

I'll also add, Alpinestars seems to be a stand up company but I wouldn't expect much help on this one unfortunately.

|

10/13/2020 2:10 PM

I have 2 pairs of the older style Tech 10's. No issue with sharp pegs burning through. You are not riding on the balls of your feet enough, not that it would help with burning them up.

That's all I got.

|

10/13/2020 2:21 PM

Photo

Here are my Tech 10's after about 17 hours, got them august 1st,

Stock KTM pegs.

Ive never seen 10's wear like that so fast...
|

10/13/2020 2:26 PM

I would be contacting the retailer and/or Alpinestars. That should not be happening.

|

10/13/2020 2:32 PM

Ktm pegs are way sharper than KX450 pegs. My KX450 pegs are pretty dull.

|

10/13/2020 2:33 PM

i would probably be a little annoyed. The boots should last much longer than that (obviously). I would probably make my case with Alpinestars

|

10/13/2020 2:36 PM

Brent wrote: Photo

Stock KTM pegs.

The sole it not the same as the OP boots.

|

10/13/2020 2:43 PM

LKHill wrote:

I have 2 pairs of the older style Tech 10's. No issue with sharp pegs burning through. You are not riding on the balls of your feet enough, not that it would help with burning them up.

That's all I got.

I’m 6’2” with knee braces and size 13 feet. This is how I ride. haha I’ve tried riding on the balls of my feet many times and it doesn’t work for me. Feels sketchy and hard to manage the controls. Thanks for your feedback about the boot wear.

|

10/13/2020 3:02 PM

Same thing with my tech 7's. 10 rides and they're trash, Alpinestars was no help.

|

10/13/2020 3:03 PM

cdncombatmedic wrote:

I would be contacting the retailer and/or Alpinestars. That should not be happening.

I have been trying to reach out to someone for over a month. My local dealer has been very helpful. They first contacted the rep then after nothing for a couple weeks they told me to contact Alpinestars directly. I did and the warranty department did not address any of my concerns. Their response was “if you want your boots resoled, it will be $100”. My local dealer then got ahold of someone else at Alpinestars who at least inquired about my issue. They offered me $50 off resoling. In the end, I declined their offer which in my opinion is unacceptable on a month old pair of $600 MSRP boots. I planned on using these boots well over 100 hours as many would. I’d be looking at over a thousand dollars of resole fees alone plus shipping each time if they continued to wear out this quick. They did tell me that the V2 sole is slightly less durable than the V1 sole.

|

10/13/2020 3:16 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/13/2020 3:22 PM

That’s wicked fast even by Astars standards. My last set of T10s I wore through the soles around the 25-30 hour mark. 60 ish hours and I had worn through the side of the boot itself.

Granted I run sharp Ti pegs, however I got easily two times that Amount of usage on my SG12’s and currently have 30 on my Sidis with minimal wear.

|

10/13/2020 3:39 PM

Brent wrote: Photo

Stock KTM pegs.

Those are definitely different than mine. Is that the vented model? Have a pic of the boots themselves?

|

10/13/2020 3:45 PM

Mr. Afterbar wrote:

Those are definitely different than mine. Is that the vented model? Have a pic of the boots themselves?

Every picture I can find of tech 10 soles looks like Brent's boots. Not sure what your dealing with.

|

10/13/2020 4:33 PM

Pay $50 get them resoled, sell and move on to another brand. That is probably your most cost effective option.

|

10/13/2020 4:50 PM

I'm only getting 10 out of my Gaerne's also. Years.

|

Powerband in every gear !

10/13/2020 4:51 PM

Unacceptable. I think the advice above of getting them re-soled then selling them is spot on.

Try some Gaernes. They are very comfortable and the soles wear like iron. Great boots.

|

10/13/2020 4:55 PM

20+ hours on these boots with these pegs. Sharp pegs = less wear.

Photo
Photo

|

10/13/2020 5:05 PM

mattbmx63 wrote:

20+ hours on these boots with these pegs. Sharp pegs = less wear.

Photo
Photo

I don’t think sharp pegs = less wear.

I think different people are harder on soles than others. I destroy soles regardless of stock or aftermarket pegs.

|

10/13/2020 5:59 PM

I had a pair of new style tech 10s and thought they were made like shit compared to the sg12s . I do like the tech 7s though

|

10/13/2020 6:11 PM

Mr. Afterbar wrote:

I’m interested to hear other people’s experiences with sole wear on their Tech 10’s. Below are my 2021 Tech 10’s that had 10 hours of use before the sole insert wore completely through. How would you feel about this if it happened to you and would you expect anything to be done about it by the manufacturer?

I understand that lots of people love Alpinestars and based on that fact alone will post negative comments toward me for posting this. I also understand that some people have used Tech 10’s for years and their soles probably show no signs of wear. Put yourself in my boots and please provide your thoughts.

Photo
Photo

Photo

Buy Gaerne boots and by the look of where their worn, work on getting on the balls of your feet.

|

10/13/2020 6:26 PM

Stay away from Fox also. Their replaceable center section won’t hold up to how you ride either. Probably best off to get a sidi SRS if your foot is narrow enough so you can swap them out yourself as needed with just a screwdriver.

|

10/13/2020 6:33 PM

I have been an Astars guy forever, but maybe I need to look at SG12s. Since I wear size 14 Tech 10s, there is a zero percent chance I will any at a dealer to try on. How does the sizing compare to Tech 10s?

|