Lectron race tested KTM 125 in 250 Pro

4/29/2019 8:09am Edited Date/Time 4/29/2019 11:14pm
Hi guys, wanted to share my thoughts on the Lectron after installing one on my 18 KTM 125sx. I went trail riding with it after mounting it in, and really had to resist the urge to jump the shark and pen a review because I wanted to get race proven results vs. what I felt in the trail.

First, let's start with the parts included in the kit.
Lectron asked for all the details to build my carb specific to my elevation, fuel, premix oil, aftermarket parts, sport, and riding style. Once built, the package arrived via UPS and included the following
Carburetor
XC air boot
Barnett throttle cable
Domino cam-style throttle housing and tube
Accessory tools
Team hat
Before the package arrived, Brooks in sales sent me four .pdf's thoroughly explaining installation, the carburetor itself, and tuning. I studied each a few times over and felt very knowledgable on the product and understanding how the carburetor works better instead of just "buying something aftermarket".

Installation was a breeze because I had read over the great directions a couple times, even though I know my way around a two stroke. My literal only gripe was that the OEM fuel line clamp was too large diameter for the Lectron fuel line.. but this also gave me an opportunity to use more of my beloved neon zip ties- therefore making a positive out of a tiny negative.

Again, I rode the bike in the woods before moto but I'll get to that in a minute. Raceday:

The Best Of The Midwest MX series spans 6 races crossing Missouri, Iowa, and Nebraska and pulls heavy duty money hungry local warriors and professionally licensed racers alike with a very healthy payout of 200% plus $500 in both 250 and 450 Pro, and additionally featuring a two stroke open money and good payout in +25.

I am a svelte variable-upon-cheeseburger-intake 195-200 pounds before gear, so I tax the shit out of my 125. Those of whomst have ridden a 125 two stroke know two things well- absolute lack of torque and that big-load bog when flat landing. This makes starts a bitch and pumps up the volume on any small mistakes where 250 four strokes have the torque to look past. Even with great jetting, getting past that big-load bog requires a lot of custom tuning and modification. Above all, this is what I noticed the Lectron does best- eliminates the bog. From my understanding, this is directly attributed to the venturi-style inner shape of the carb "tunnel" that Lectron has perfected. Secondly, getting out of the gate on a stacked line of midwest hitmen on quality 250f and 250 two stroke equipment is probably going to be a losing battle. Not on my bike. Yes I have good reaction times, but even at my weight and displacement disadvantage I ROCKETED out of the gate every single moto in are you ready for this 2nd gear. It wasn't until the top of 3rd gear where I needed to grab one up that everyone else had more to keep pulling, which is nature of the bike. Yet still, I came out of the first turn in the top three every moto but one. I'm straight up crediting this to my Lectron. Furthermore, I noticed the second gear pull coming out of corners was s-t-r-o-n-g, noticeably more pipey than the stock mikuni with JD kit I was using prior. Even some of the other pro racers made a comment about how they couldn't believe how crisp the bike was out on the track.

I did not have to adjust the power jet throughout the day, and we started at a crisp 39 for practice and ended at 60 by final moto. I'm going to do a little finer tuning with the power jet during my next ride day- but how the unit came built from the floor was perfect for the day.

For moto- this carburetor is hands down a MUST have for any rider seeking to eliminate jetting woes, and gain a power improvement overall. For woods, the bottom crispness that is demanded on the trail is unmatched by the Lectron- however the day I went riding offroad was 80 degrees and windy, so my bike was tuned a little rich which was easy to adjust with a few turns of the power jet. If you're on the fence on the invesment I believe once you go Lectron it feels like you're riding a two-stroke 2.0 and you'd kick yourself for not pulling the trigger sooner. Stamp it.

|
jbrass715
4/29/2019 8:17am
Thanks for the solid review, makes me want to jump the gun for my CR
sandman768
4/29/2019 8:31am
Nice write up....7 guys in your classes? That’s depressing....
4/29/2019 8:36am
Cool, Jeff! Great write-up.

Sandman, do you get more guys up there at races? Jeff's seems about average to me. These days anyway.
4/29/2019 9:00am
sandman768 wrote:
In the Midwest there is no AMA district presence, therefore there is no points advancement system to move riders up and prevent lifetime B riders.

I’m working with local promoters, riders, and track owners to unify an advancement system that is monetarily incentivized through guaranteed payback. We have to get the practice riders back to the race track. The lack of a sanctioning body really shows in outlaw states A class participation. But with every problem there’s a solution, and that will be saved for another topic coming soon once I’ve truly gathered my thoughts.

The Shop

langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
4/29/2019 9:17am Edited Date/Time 4/29/2019 9:18am
I second that !! I put one on my RM250 and my KTM 150 and they both run perfect. Best mod for the money, IMO
sandman768
4/29/2019 9:43am
Cool, Jeff! Great write-up.

Sandman, do you get more guys up there at races? Jeff's seems about average to me. These days anyway.
Upstate Ny districts have dwindled also, some tracks bring more than others, when I race now, I travel to NESC tracks in New England, it’s a haul for me to every track but the pro/expert classes are usually pretty full. My classes, the SR & vets usually at least 20 riders...did not mean to side track Jeff’s good write up....carry on...
77Moto
4/29/2019 9:49am
sandman768 wrote:
In the Midwest there is no AMA district presence, therefore there is no points advancement system to move riders up and prevent lifetime B riders. I’m...
In the Midwest there is no AMA district presence, therefore there is no points advancement system to move riders up and prevent lifetime B riders.

I’m working with local promoters, riders, and track owners to unify an advancement system that is monetarily incentivized through guaranteed payback. We have to get the practice riders back to the race track. The lack of a sanctioning body really shows in outlaw states A class participation. But with every problem there’s a solution, and that will be saved for another topic coming soon once I’ve truly gathered my thoughts.
Huh? I've been down alot of Midwest states to race and all had districts. Or do you mean the race promotors/tracks don't run under AMA sanction and therefore you need no AMA or district license

or do you mean the races are AMA, but don't go toward district points for the year end awards banquets etc?

4/29/2019 10:15am
77Moto wrote:
Huh? I've been down alot of Midwest states to race and all had districts. Or do you mean the race promotors/tracks don't run under AMA sanction...
Huh? I've been down alot of Midwest states to race and all had districts. Or do you mean the race promotors/tracks don't run under AMA sanction and therefore you need no AMA or district license

or do you mean the races are AMA, but don't go toward district points for the year end awards banquets etc?

Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Arkansas have no AMA district races. There are AMA sanctioned events. But no district series. I’d have to travel to Minnesota or Illinois to race in a district series.
77Moto
4/29/2019 10:21am
77Moto wrote:
Huh? I've been down alot of Midwest states to race and all had districts. Or do you mean the race promotors/tracks don't run under AMA sanction...

Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Arkansas have no AMA district races. There are AMA sanctioned events. But no district series. I’d have to travel to...
Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Arkansas have no AMA district races. There are AMA sanctioned events. But no district series. I’d have to travel to Minnesota or Illinois to race in a district series.
Damn. What about Michigan or Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, or Tennessee?

Things sure have changed.

Is this due to just this many LESS people racing these days?

I remember in the 80s, districts had full classes of Moto, Flat track, Enduro, Hillclimb, TT, hare Scrambles, and awards for all of it.

kage173
4/29/2019 10:29am
Great write up bro.
IanMac138
4/29/2019 10:33am
Pulled the trigger on a Lectron Slavens Mule HV 38mm for my '19 150 SX. Arrives tomorrow. I can't wait to put it on and ride it.
BR8ES
4/29/2019 10:44am Edited Date/Time 4/29/2019 10:48am
36 or 38? Seems as though these are hit and miss, didn't gel with mine two times over. Glad you're experience differed to the positive.
psg119
4/29/2019 11:04am
Hey Jeff, I was wondering if you decide to change your fuel up do you think it is enough of a change to have to send it back to Lectron for adjusting? Or do you think adjusting the power jet yourself will do the trick? Is it pretty user friendly in that sense?
erik_94COBRA
4/29/2019 11:10am
Good write up. Wonder why so many have had bad experiences with them.

jbrass715
4/29/2019 12:38pm
Seems like 10 good experiences to 1 bad experience. I think there was an over whelming number of 2 strokes equipped with them at Glen Helen
OldPro277
4/29/2019 3:15pm
psg119 wrote:
Hey Jeff, I was wondering if you decide to change your fuel up do you think it is enough of a change to have to send...
Hey Jeff, I was wondering if you decide to change your fuel up do you think it is enough of a change to have to send it back to Lectron for adjusting? Or do you think adjusting the power jet yourself will do the trick? Is it pretty user friendly in that sense?
PSG- It really depends on what fuel you were using and what you are changing to, but I've never had to do much other than do a quarter turn or so on the power jet. If you have to fiddle with the metering rod, its a very simple operation. Take the top of the carb and pull out the slide. The metering rod is similar to the needle on a conventional carb,but you just rotate it clockwise or counterclockwise to richen or lean it out. VERY rarely will you need to mess with that. The boys at Lectron set them up really ,really on the money. . I just ordered my 6th one for my 76 Rm250A. I'm a big believer in these things. As I said in a previous post,that at my age, bolting on a Lectron and riding a super clean running 2-stroke is better than sex.!!!
PTshox
4/29/2019 3:36pm
psg119 wrote:
Hey Jeff, I was wondering if you decide to change your fuel up do you think it is enough of a change to have to send...
OldPro277 wrote:
PSG- It really depends on what fuel you were using and what you are changing to, but I've never had to do much other than do...
PSG- It really depends on what fuel you were using and what you are changing to, but I've never had to do much other than do a quarter turn or so on the power jet. If you have to fiddle with the metering rod, its a very simple operation. Take the top of the carb and pull out the slide. The metering rod is similar to the needle on a conventional carb,but you just rotate it clockwise or counterclockwise to richen or lean it out. VERY rarely will you need to mess with that. The boys at Lectron set them up really ,really on the money. . I just ordered my 6th one for my 76 Rm250A. I'm a big believer in these things. As I said in a previous post,that at my age, bolting on a Lectron and riding a super clean running 2-stroke is better than sex.!!!
How old are you? Trying to figure out if I have something to look forward to.
OldPro277
4/29/2019 3:46pm
psg119 wrote:
OldPro277 wrote:
PSG- It really depends on what fuel you were using and what you are changing to, but I've never had to do much other than do...
PTshox wrote:
How old are you? Trying to figure out if I have something to look forward to.
Lol. 60 this year.
psg119
4/29/2019 4:10pm
psg119 wrote:
OldPro277 wrote:
Awesome thanks for the info!!
Pirate421
4/29/2019 4:42pm
I wasn’t in love with mine on my 2014 250sx but I did buy the carb 5 years ago and they seemed to be just coming back into popularity back then. My carb was the first batch with the spacer for the float bowl because they were leaking a bit on some models. I’m sure after the thousands they have sold since then they probably have them dialed but we were still trying to figure out which rods worked where and then I moved across country and had to start messing with it all over again. I don’t blame lectron and I would definitely try one again but my yz seems to have pretty good stock jetting.

That Ktm was a nightmare tho but I just felt the jd kit ran a bit stronger. Some of it could be no doubt user error too! Go for it, costs less than a slip on for a four stroke and I got 80% of my money back for it and it sold on a facebook group in about 15 minutes.
4/29/2019 8:21pm
psg119 wrote:
I run half Renegade Pro 110+ half 91 ethanol free pump gas- and I had Lectron build the carburetor specific to that mixture along with 32:1 ratio and ONLY Motul 800.

All of this matters as it helps them fine tune the unit from the factory floor. The more info you provide, the more exact your carb comes from Lectron. It’s white glove service in my opinion.
FWYT
4/29/2019 9:33pm
Cool write up! Thanks for putting in the time to post it here!
crc245
4/29/2019 11:14pm
1) Great write up!
2) Video, or it didn't happen Cool

Post a reply to: Lectron race tested KTM 125 in 250 Pro

The Latest