Lectron Fuel Systems

Anyone with any experience running the Lectron Carburetor on there 2 stroke at the moto track?

I’m more of an off-road guy that races a 2020 250sx so I’m drawn to the ease of self adjustment for when we’re racing at different elevations. But I really don’t want to lose anything when training at the track during the week, as I've heard they can potentially run leaner then desired. Any experience or opinions appreciated. Trying to get my bike dialed before getting back to racing
|
Bramlett321
7/13/2020 12:18pm
I ride in very very humid east Texas and I suck at jetting ...that being said I put one on a '17 KTM 300 and it ran like a dream. Crisp, responsive...I could ride it on slow single track and just pop the front end over anything and not touch the clutch. I've gone back to a four stroke but if I ever get another 2 stroke that will be the first mod.
7/13/2020 12:31pm
Not sure I understand about what you’re afraid of in terms “losing anything during the week”... My buddy put one on his punched out YZ139 and loves it. However, I’ve seen at least one person on here say they went with a Lectron then sold it in favor of a well tuned Keihin PWK. If you’re racing at various elevations, Lectron is probably the way to go. However you can still buy a metering rod and use it on your existing carb, I do believe?? I know for sure you can have some of the advantages of a Lectron without buying one...
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
7/13/2020 12:34pm
I had one on my ‘18 SX 150 and my ‘04 RM250 and both worked awesome. Don’t be afraid of it, it’ll work great.
OldPro277
7/13/2020 12:36pm
Best money you can spend in my opinion. Have them on my modern 2015 YZ144 ,2008 Rm250 and on 5 of my Vintage racers, (76 Rm250, 77 Husly 175, 78 Rm125 and 2 82 Husky 250's, all AHRMA legal from Historic on up. ) . Super easy to set up, runs strong and clean, start easy,etc etc. Hard to beat. And GREAT customer support as well. Seriously, call and get one, you won't regret it.

The Shop

mx_563
7/13/2020 12:37pm
I'm curious why you opted for the SX if you are a self proclaimed off-road guy.

7/13/2020 12:47pm
mx_563 wrote:
I'm curious why you opted for the SX if you are a self proclaimed off-road guy.

I sure saved a lot by not opting for a shiny starter button and a kickstand.
WoodsRacer
Fantasy
2893rd
7/13/2020 12:58pm
I put a lectron on my 2018 KTM 150 XCW, for 2 reasons, 1 the stock mikuni had a terrible transition in the mid range, and 2 because I do some mountain riding and wanted to see how well the elevation compensation did.

Overall the lectron has been great, installed with no mods, had to adjust idle slightly, but no adjusting needed after that.

Starts easy, idle is crisp, bottom end might be a touch worse, but the mid range and transition from bottom to mid and top end if all flawless. May more predictable and easier to ride now and also doesn't load up on tight low speed technical stuff anymore.

I also love the sand, ride a lot of sand tracks with a lot of wide open time. This is the one thing that scared me away from a lectron at first as I read a couple horror storys about this type of riding on lectrons but in my experience they turned up false because this thing has been great on the sand and heavy wide open riding.

I do however agree a well tuned keihin PWK is just as good as a lectron, had a PWK on my 200 and that thing ran flawless, however just had to be adjusted on elevation trips, the lectron I just leave it and works everywhere.
7/13/2020 1:02pm
WoodsRacer wrote:
I put a lectron on my 2018 KTM 150 XCW, for 2 reasons, 1 the stock mikuni had a terrible transition in the mid range, and...
I put a lectron on my 2018 KTM 150 XCW, for 2 reasons, 1 the stock mikuni had a terrible transition in the mid range, and 2 because I do some mountain riding and wanted to see how well the elevation compensation did.

Overall the lectron has been great, installed with no mods, had to adjust idle slightly, but no adjusting needed after that.

Starts easy, idle is crisp, bottom end might be a touch worse, but the mid range and transition from bottom to mid and top end if all flawless. May more predictable and easier to ride now and also doesn't load up on tight low speed technical stuff anymore.

I also love the sand, ride a lot of sand tracks with a lot of wide open time. This is the one thing that scared me away from a lectron at first as I read a couple horror storys about this type of riding on lectrons but in my experience they turned up false because this thing has been great on the sand and heavy wide open riding.

I do however agree a well tuned keihin PWK is just as good as a lectron, had a PWK on my 200 and that thing ran flawless, however just had to be adjusted on elevation trips, the lectron I just leave it and works everywhere.
This is exactly the kind of real world experience I was looking for- thank you.

The one thing shying me away from them is hearing about them running lean during wide open stuff, I feel way better after reading your post.
Bruce372
7/13/2020 1:13pm
I've run lectron and smart carbs.

I bought Langhams 2018 sx150 and swapped the lectron for the keihin PWK fitted with the stic block and this setup was much better IMO.

That said, my biggest beef with lectron is std and not metric bolts, plus, the choke is on the wrong side.
brocster
7/13/2020 8:26pm Edited Date/Time 7/13/2020 9:06pm
Can you guys share more about the STIC? How easy to install/tune. Put a PWK a/s on my 125 and cleaned it up remarkably well but I don’t want to have to deal with re jetting etc. with elevation/temperature changes. Super happy with the PWK and kinda glad I saved by not going Lectron.

Never mind. I found the videos and not going to cough up that kind of coin only to hap hazardly have to whittle a needle down on my own with a flat bastard.
Airick
Fantasy
2637th
7/13/2020 8:36pm
I have a Husky CR 125/144 2013 and the Lectron is better than the stock Mikuni. Gas mileage is way better. Only issue was the plastic bowl, which warped, and was replaced with the billet option. The billet is a bit bigger and doesnt fit withoit hitting the cases. But it's am obscure bike so you take what you can get.
7/13/2020 11:21pm
brocster wrote:
Can you guys share more about the STIC? How easy to install/tune. Put a PWK a/s on my 125 and cleaned it up remarkably well but...
Can you guys share more about the STIC? How easy to install/tune. Put a PWK a/s on my 125 and cleaned it up remarkably well but I don’t want to have to deal with re jetting etc. with elevation/temperature changes. Super happy with the PWK and kinda glad I saved by not going Lectron.

Never mind. I found the videos and not going to cough up that kind of coin only to hap hazardly have to whittle a needle down on my own with a flat bastard.
You can buy a JD jetting kit for a Keihen with a STIC insert. It comes with a load of different jets, 2 needles and a set up sheet for 125/150 and 250/300.The whole thing is really easy to fit.

But the downside is the price.
brocster
7/14/2020 6:06am
brocster wrote:
Can you guys share more about the STIC? How easy to install/tune. Put a PWK a/s on my 125 and cleaned it up remarkably well but...

Barrett56 wrote:
You can buy a JD jetting kit for a Keihen with a STIC insert. It comes with a load of different jets, 2 needles and a...
You can buy a JD jetting kit for a Keihen with a STIC insert. It comes with a load of different jets, 2 needles and a set up sheet for 125/150 and 250/300.The whole thing is really easy to fit.

But the downside is the price.
I hear ya! I have the JD jet kit in my PWK that I bought from them. Didn’t know the STIC was an option from JD. Funny I had’t seen it mentioned much when talking about PWK conversions. Good to know though.
Ryan625
7/14/2020 6:45am
I highly recommend the lectron, I am on my second one. I loved the one on my TC250 so much that I opted to order one for my RM144 build
Tracktor
7/14/2020 1:04pm
brocster wrote:

Uh, no whittling of needles needed that's ooold tech. There is a JD Jet kit that you can buy with everything needed. That said we ran them prior to the kit being released and ran great with std oem needles.

No comment on the Lectron but the STIC is the real deal. Basically four stroke power curve. Makes 125's an absolute hoot to ride......
7/14/2020 2:18pm Edited Date/Time 7/14/2020 2:20pm
WoodsRacer wrote:
I put a lectron on my 2018 KTM 150 XCW, for 2 reasons, 1 the stock mikuni had a terrible transition in the mid range, and...

My experience echos his. Same bike. Have one on a '19 150 SX, too.

The ONE problem we had was that the Lectron seems to start RICHER, not leaner. My son and I _both_ fouled spark plugs on the start line of an enduro. And this was after testing them at home during several rides. I think it was the BR9EIX plug myself as we'd switched him to one before switching to the Lectron and he suddenly had starting issues. Also, the plugs were just wet fouled, no carbon. Dry them off, they'd work fine. I switched back to the stock plug, he's using a BR8EG.. Tens of hours later, not a single fouled plug. I also fouled one my '04 KX 125, which NEVER fouled plugs. On startup.

My experience vs a Mikuni with all the Jarvis mods and JD Jet block gasket is that the Lectron pulls HARD and FAST. The first time I rode the XC-W with the Lectron, I gave it the normal throttle and darn near flipped it. The next thing I noticed is that it'll run at steady throttle (say, on a fire road transfer) with no burbling or sputtering at all. Last thing is that my top end went from about 67 MPH to 75 MPH at which point I didn't go any faster.

The Lectron is not perfect. It still loads up just a LITTLE bit on the low end (agreeing with my _slighty_ rich feeling), but it cleans up with ONE throttle blip.

I'm cheap, tight, and HATE spending $500 on a $7500 dirt bike that's "Ready to Race" (insert sneer here), but I wanted to try a Lectron because I never have and because I'm getting old and running out of time to try stuff. I rode it 15 minutes and told my son- "You're gonna want one".

Here's video of us fouling plugs on the line. Smile In spite of starting 15 minutes late (old dog that I am, I tried an old plug while we went to the truck for a fresh one), my son still won the test and the Overall C for the day. Punk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGBsalprhzA

mx_563
7/14/2020 4:38pm
I sure saved a lot by not opting for a shiny starter button and a kickstand.
Nice! I noticed that even on the used bike market, the SX models are much cheaper than the XC and XC-W models. Much lighter too. It has certainly crossed my mind to take this approach if/when I decide to go orange. I was wondering if that was the case for you. Post some pics of the bike if you get a chance!
Solidkm
7/15/2020 3:01pm
I am not a fan and that’s just me and 1 unpopular opinion. Maybe for low and consistent elevation theyre “set it and forget it.” In Colorado, my opinion, you still have to make a change when swinging from the mountains to lower areas. Or, maybe my friends who have them don’t know what they’re doing. I don’t mind tinkering and changing jets. It takes 5 minutes if I so choose l.

My bike seems to be the favorite when the fancy lectron users ride mine. 18 TX300. 38mm kiehen from a 13 or 14 150sx. And a STIC. My low end grunt is next level compared to the lectron 300s.
Solidkm
7/15/2020 3:04pm
brocster wrote:

What? I recommend the STIC. I have one. Power is increased. Plain and simple. Super easy install. And Will easily sell if you change your mind.

Post a reply to: Lectron Fuel Systems

The Latest