Lectron Carb - YZ250 2 stroke

PTshox
Edited Date/Time 6/11/2018 5:01pm
I've been looking at getting a Lectron Carb for a 2006 YZ250 two stroke. Has anyone tried the newer HV version of it? If so how did you like it?

I ask as I've heard mixed reviews on these. Some say they work fantastic. Others say the stock carb can perform as well or better.
|
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
6/7/2017 4:58pm
I have one on my '04 RM250. Lectron set it up and sent it to me exactly how I have it set up. I thought I it was well worth the money.
NeedMoto
6/7/2017 6:15pm
langhammx wrote:
I have one on my '04 RM250. Lectron set it up and sent it to me exactly how I have it set up. I thought I...
I have one on my '04 RM250. Lectron set it up and sent it to me exactly how I have it set up. I thought I it was well worth the money.
Same^^^ and agree!!!

Put one on my 06 cr250. I normally run at sea level, but took it to 4k elevation and still ran great.
Jterry
6/8/2017 2:47pm
Look into the stic from Harris Performance. I have one of the first versions made. And its crazy how much better the bike runs.
PTshox
6/8/2017 2:49pm Edited Date/Time 6/8/2017 2:50pm
I saw that product. What was the difference in how the bike ran?
And did it help fuel mileage too?

The Shop

Jterry
6/8/2017 2:58pm Edited Date/Time 6/8/2017 2:59pm
I bought my bike with the 295 kit and no idea what porting. But its always been rode in the woods so I assume it has EG's woods porting. Im a MX guy that rides harescrambles every once in a while. The bike just didn't rev good or have much top end pull/ over rev. Which is common in a lot of big bores.

The first time starting the bike up after getting it warmed up it rev'd noticeably cleaner and quicker. It starts very well now that its jetted correctly. And comes on the pipe with a lot more authority. Once the powervalves are open it has a good bit more power and revs further. It also has a gnarly pipe on it which also focuses on power down low. I tried the DEP and didn't like it as much. I also taper bored the carb (I'm a machinist). I didn't feel much difference in that as I did it after adding the STIC.

Ive never really measured fuel mileage. I can still race a 1 hour HS on a stock capacity tank and have fuel left.
navalseabee
6/8/2017 4:18pm
have a HV on my '17 KTM 250xc and I'm very happy with my purchase. I've had to go a tad richer on the metering rod a few different times now and adjust the idle a bit but that is all. The carb is super crisp, like very, even over a well jetted factory one. I've seen a good increase in fuel mileage over the stock carb also. The only thing i dont like is the cable they send with them, i've had two break now.
FTB
6/8/2017 4:22pm Edited Date/Time 6/8/2017 4:25pm
PTshox wrote:
I saw that product. What was the difference in how the bike ran?
And did it help fuel mileage too?
I have a lectron on my RM 144 and 265. I get 4+ hours of trail riding from a 7.5L tank with the 144, the 265 would be close to that as well. I mainly fitted Lectron's for the fuel ecconomy
I get longer ride times with the Lectron and 7.5L tank than I did from an OS tank and the stock carby.
Alex.434
6/8/2017 5:41pm Edited Date/Time 6/8/2017 5:55pm
I've got one on my 2017 TC250, the new HV one.

At first it wasn't dialed in right, since I got it as soon as the bike was out (never even rode it with stock carb). So initial Lectron settings were way off. The bike needs to run richer than previous models.. so their 2016 data wasn't applicable. Had some back and forth with Kevin and ended up sending it back. He did more testing and fired it back to me and now we're good to go.

No stress on my end as I knew I was one of the very first running it for MX on the TC/SX platform. Saw it as helping them get dialed.

I love it. Bike runs super crisp. Never any goop coming out of the pipe. I run 50/50 mix VP + pump gas at 50:1 Motorex. Southern California. Bike runs great. I fucking love this bike.

PTshox
6/9/2017 12:45am
Alex.434 wrote:
I've got one on my 2017 TC250, the new HV one. At first it wasn't dialed in right, since I got it as soon as the...

At first it wasn't dialed in right, since I got it as soon as the bike was out (never even rode it with stock carb). So initial Lectron settings were way off. The bike needs to run richer than previous models.. so their 2016 data wasn't applicable. Had some back and forth with Kevin and ended up sending it back. He did more testing and fired it back to me and now we're good to go.

No stress on my end as I knew I was one of the very first running it for MX on the TC/SX platform. Saw it as helping them get dialed.

I love it. Bike runs super crisp. Never any goop coming out of the pipe. I run 50/50 mix VP + pump gas at 50:1 Motorex. Southern California. Bike runs great. I fucking love this bike.

LOL... "I fucking love this bike". Now that was funny!.
6/9/2017 7:27am Edited Date/Time 6/9/2017 7:28am
I know a few people that own them and I know of 3 top pro's in the offroad racing that have tested them and the reviews are mixed. My friends that own them, love them and have nothing bad to say about them, bikes run great, amazing fuel milage (Ive seen that first hand, they really do have amazing fuel milage) Now the top pro's all decided that they didn't like them. They complained that the bikes ran to lean and they were going to blow up there motors.
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
6/9/2017 9:44am
I know a few people that own them and I know of 3 top pro's in the offroad racing that have tested them and the reviews...
I know a few people that own them and I know of 3 top pro's in the offroad racing that have tested them and the reviews are mixed. My friends that own them, love them and have nothing bad to say about them, bikes run great, amazing fuel milage (Ive seen that first hand, they really do have amazing fuel milage) Now the top pro's all decided that they didn't like them. They complained that the bikes ran to lean and they were going to blow up there motors.
Not sure which top pros you're referring to, but I've had a couple really fast pros ride my bike and they were amazed at how crisp the motor was and how smooth the power delivery was. Having the carb tuned correctly is the key to getting the most out of the carb.
6/9/2017 1:23pm
langhammx wrote:
Not sure which top pros you're referring to, but I've had a couple really fast pros ride my bike and they were amazed at how crisp...
Not sure which top pros you're referring to, but I've had a couple really fast pros ride my bike and they were amazed at how crisp the motor was and how smooth the power delivery was. Having the carb tuned correctly is the key to getting the most out of the carb.
It's not my place to say by name because I know the carbs were sent out to them by Lectron and Im not going to burn them like that. I can say one is a top gncc XC1 racer, one has a X games medal in EX, and one is in a "Moto" movie. I speak to 2 of 3 regularly so I don't mind asking if they are cool with me mentioning there names. Im not saying Lectron is bad, I see it first hand work for my buddies and I'm strongly considering it. Im just saying that I know of mixed reviews. Local pro's, fast guys seem to love it and from the top of the top guys I know they said it didn't work for them.
PTshox
6/9/2017 4:41pm
Yep... this is what I'm hearing; mixed reviews. So not sure what to do. The bike runs fine with the stock carb... but if I can get more out of it I'm willing to spend the $500 bucks for the lectron. Just don't want to be disappointed.
racinstation
Fantasy
1921st
6/9/2017 8:39pm
Maybe this will help. People say, "Put your money where your mouth is".....so here you go. You buy a Lectron from us. You try it for 2,weeks. If you don't like it, send it back and upon confirmation that the carb is still in like new condition, we will refund your money, less the freight to and from.

They are really good and I think the bang for the buck scale would put them over a pipe or other similar mods.

Needles to say, I like them.
Jterry
6/9/2017 9:09pm
Derrick Harris has dyno'd the smart carb and lectrons and came to the conclusion that they aren't any better at making HP than a properly jetted stock carb.
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
6/9/2017 10:01pm
Jterry wrote:
Derrick Harris has dyno'd the smart carb and lectrons and came to the conclusion that they aren't any better at making HP than a properly jetted...
Derrick Harris has dyno'd the smart carb and lectrons and came to the conclusion that they aren't any better at making HP than a properly jetted stock carb.
It's not the HP, it's the delivery of the HP that made the bike easier to ride, IMO.

langhammx
Fantasy
455th
6/9/2017 10:02pm
Maybe this will help. People say, "Put your money where your mouth is".....so here you go. You buy a Lectron from us. You try it for...
Maybe this will help. People say, "Put your money where your mouth is".....so here you go. You buy a Lectron from us. You try it for 2,weeks. If you don't like it, send it back and upon confirmation that the carb is still in like new condition, we will refund your money, less the freight to and from.

They are really good and I think the bang for the buck scale would put them over a pipe or other similar mods.

Needles to say, I like them.
Boom !! Hard to turn that down !!
Bruce372
6/9/2017 10:28pm
I've got a rm144 with ports so big you can for your arm down them. Never could get it jetted well. Now it has a 36mm smart carb, you can trail ride the bike but on the top end it's amazing...i took it down my friends runway and in 6th gear wide open it sings like a 125 road racer
Katoomey
6/10/2017 8:51am
it doesn't matter what the reviews say. there's not a replacement for a Lectron.

there is really only two reasons for wanting a Lectron. wider operating range (without re-jetting) and better fuel economy.

if those two things don't interest you, then the carb offers almost nothing over a properly tuned traditional carb. If those things do interest you, then this carb is a no-brainer.

so, in short, I can't see needing this on a moto-only bike. but for off-road use, it's pretty much the bees knees.

Jterry
6/10/2017 8:57am
You are absolutely correct on that. And that's why I have the stic installed in my stock carb. It's proven to make more power everywhere.

I race woods races but they are only 1 hour so fuel mileage isn't a concern. And in Alabama there aren't any places were you need the wide operating range because of a difference in altitude.
rjg
6/10/2017 12:36pm Edited Date/Time 6/10/2017 12:38pm
Lectron carbs have their own set of problems. Just as stock carbs have their own. The Lectron utilizes a more simple carb technology compared to stock.

They smooth out the power. Think less coarse pulses of the engine. Same power available but not so abrupt/rough feeling. Great for off-road.

Definitely an improvement in milage and elevation capabilities.

Mine was in the ballpark when I received it from Lectron. They helped me set it up better via email but also tried to upsell me on a new and improvement metering rod which was shaped to be leaner on bottom and richer on top. I thought this was annoying but it also displays a continuous improvement in development.

All in all it is ok and the company does not completely abandon you after the sale. It is very high quality and not cheap looking like a stock carb.

I am not completely convinced it's the end all and be all but it was the compromise I was looking for.
YamahaJT1
6/10/2017 2:22pm
I just installed one last week on my 05' Honda CR125 and am ready to fire it up after a complete engine/tranny rebuild.

Dave recommended the 36mm. It fits well enough, with just a tad extra compression on the boot, but not enough to distort it.

My biggest issue is the throttle cables from them. The first one was far too short, so I ordered the "Long" unit for factory routing. It has a huge metal adjuster that I had to cover with vinyl tubing so it doesn't eat into the underside of my tank and inside frame and it just barely has enough length when I turn it full lock right, but it is safe. I'll run it a bit then get a proper cable custom ordered that doesn't have the damned mid-cable adjuster.

I am firing it up tomorrow for a few heat cycles and will hopefully get out later this week to see just how it responds compared to my well jetted OG Mikuni. I'll report back after I get back from a goon ride or two.

YamahaJT1
6/15/2017 7:16pm Edited Date/Time 6/15/2017 7:43pm
Hey PTshox,:

YES. I LOVE the damned Lectron.... It was a bit rich from Dave & Co. during the three initial 10 minute heat cycles I did. Smoky Puppy. No problem. Remember, this is a rebuild to include ALL, only the case inner/outer halves were reused. No expenses spared, over $1400 in OEM internal parts alone. Fuck it, I have the $$$ and made the time. I leaned the "metering rod" 1/4 turn after the cycles and it is the best mod for the $ for ME.

We ripped up my yard and if I had limited $, I'd say go Lectron. Way better choice over pipes/silencers/bling. Just make sure you get a good "Slide Snap" when releasing the throttle at any bar position between and including FULL left and FULL right to the locks.

It is up to you to route cables correctly/safely. I got the crap they sent working sans issue, and will now get a few custom cables made to ensure my safety and proper performance. Read my complaint about the stoopoooopid mid-cable adjusters...

I have an 07' CR125 I am restoring and it will also get another Lectron. Lug to SNAP in 3rd is worth every penny.

I gotta go... Need to load up for HIGH POINT!!!

EDIT for Stoooopid mid-cable adjusters spelling
LumpDog841
6/15/2017 8:00pm
Alex.434 wrote:
I've got one on my 2017 TC250, the new HV one. At first it wasn't dialed in right, since I got it as soon as the...

Where did you get yours if you don't mind me asking?
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
5/8/2018 5:09pm Edited Date/Time 5/8/2018 5:10pm
YamahaJT1 wrote:
PTshox, here is the BizNatch...[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/06/15/200405/s1200_Final_2005_CR125_038.jpg[/img]
PTshox, here is the BizNatch...

Wow this thing Is beautiful
I know it's an old post
Bla bla bla , isn't that the beauty of Vital
All this awsome saved info ?
I was researching
Lectron carbs I would love to Try one on my YZ125
Anybody else tried one on a 125 ?
YamahaJT1
5/8/2018 6:52pm
Tarz483 wrote:
Wow this thing Is beautiful I know it's an old post Bla bla bla , isn't that the beauty of Vital All this awsome saved info...
Wow this thing Is beautiful
I know it's an old post
Bla bla bla , isn't that the beauty of Vital
All this awsome saved info ?
I was researching
Lectron carbs I would love to Try one on my YZ125
Anybody else tried one on a 125 ?
Hey Tarz483:

Old thread is fine by me...

A fate would have it, my buddy just last week got an Lectron HV 38mm for his 2013 YZ125 after riding my 05' CR125. He got it installed and then had fly off on a business trip.

It'll be about two weeks before I'll be able to ride with him and check out the Lectron HV 38mm on a YZ125. I'll post back with the upshot.

I also got another Lectron for my 07' CR125 build (HV 38mm), but got a lot of work to do to finish it. Lectron is recommending the HV 38mm for CR/YZ 125's now for improved bottom and all-around better performance.

I still think it is an excellent unit!
cwtoyota
5/8/2018 7:23pm
I know a few people that own them and I know of 3 top pro's in the offroad racing that have tested them and the reviews...
This is exactly how I feel about the Lectron and that billet carb that came out a few years ago.

I haven't ridden one and don't know the facts first hand, let me say that right up front.

I have had friends use them and get rid of them.
They seem to run lean and very clean. Perfect for a woods rider, or a beginner / novice.

The faster guys spend less time at lower RPM and light engine load. A and B guys are more often at part throttle or WOT with a heavy engine load. I really think this is why the reviews are mixed.

Was that billet carb called Smart Carb? My buddy had one on his 250SX when they were new. He wanted to love it, went back and forth on tuning with the guy who developed it and in the end they both decided it wasn't going to work for his level of motocross racing. I relate that carb to the lectron in the way it runs.

Again, I haven't owned these carbs, but I'm curious about them and I share the same opinion as your faster buddies, although I'm no pro, just a Vet A guy.
YamahaJT1
5/8/2018 9:10pm
cwtoyota wrote:
This is exactly how I feel about the Lectron and that billet carb that came out a few years ago. I haven't ridden one and don't...
This is exactly how I feel about the Lectron and that billet carb that came out a few years ago.

I haven't ridden one and don't know the facts first hand, let me say that right up front.

They seem to run lean and very clean. Perfect for a woods rider, or a beginner / novice.

The faster guys spend less time at lower RPM and light engine load. A and B guys are more often at part throttle or WOT with a heavy engine load. I really think this is why the reviews are mixed.

Was that billet carb called Smart Carb? My buddy had one on his 250SX when they were new. He wanted to love it, went back and forth on tuning with the guy who developed it and in the end they both decided it wasn't going to work for his level of motocross racing. I relate that carb to the lectron in the way it runs.

Again, I haven't owned these carbs, but I'm curious about them and I share the same opinion as your faster buddies, although I'm no pro, just a Vet A guy.
This fellow has pretty good luck with Lectron in an MX application. Carson Brown... I think he is from your neck of the woods, cwtoyota.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVAtN4khV7M

Is it a perfect carb? No, but once dialed in, is a great all around carb that is useful enough that I bought two. YMMV.
cwtoyota
5/8/2018 10:10pm
cwtoyota wrote:
This is exactly how I feel about the Lectron and that billet carb that came out a few years ago. I haven't ridden one and don't...

YamahaJT1 wrote:
This fellow has pretty good luck with Lectron in an MX application. Carson Brown... I think he is from your neck of the woods, cwtoyota. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVAtN4khV7M...
This fellow has pretty good luck with Lectron in an MX application. Carson Brown... I think he is from your neck of the woods, cwtoyota.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVAtN4khV7M

Is it a perfect carb? No, but once dialed in, is a great all around carb that is useful enough that I bought two. YMMV.
His family are the same people who do Brown Brothers Racing, they build a lot of trick stuff over there, even some four strokes with aluminum frames long before four strokes were cool and he's one hell of a fast kid.

That's a good counterpoint to the negatives I've heard about these carbs. Like I said, I don't have a lot of first hand info on them, but they always seem to be set up lean and they run very clean.

Post a reply to: Lectron Carb - YZ250 2 stroke

The Latest