Leaving the 8-5 to chase the Moto dream (non racer)

stangkag
Hi everyone my name is Kyle and I have a genuine love for the sport of Motocross/Supercross much like most of you here. For some reason I never enjoyed playing ball and stick sports like baseball, soccer, basketball, or football. The only thing that kept me coming back for more, time and time again was my joy of riding a dirtbike no matter how many tanks of fuel I ran through those bikes I always wanted more. Growing up I had always dreamed of being the next McGrath or Carmichael and it just never came to fruition. After graduating high school I moved away from my small home town routes and started the typical rat race at a 8-5 job working 40 hours a week or more. All though I've always had good paying jobs "Oil field, Truck driver, Managing stores" etc, I've never felt truly happy at any of my jobs. Growing up I had heard the old saying that "If you find a career that makes you feel happy and eager to get to every morning then you've found the right calling for you, because after all if you are happy to go to your job every morning...Is it really a job at all?"

Back in 2012 I was skimming through the moto related section of this forum and noticed Kilbarger Racing was hiring a driver for the east coast lites rounds. (Levi Kilbarger #412) and (Nico Izzi #42) were supposed to be on the team but Nico bailed on the ride and was later replaced by (Shawn Rife #714). I jumped all over the chance and ended up landing the job, this was a week before Arlington SX and I was still living on the farm in Kansas. Within a couple of days I was on a plane going from Denver to Columbus where I met the team mechanic Jon and Levis dad Tony. They took me to the race shop in Logan, OH and introduced me to the rig (man was I ever in moto heaven) there were race bikes and practice bikes everywhere, I had never seen so many exhaust systems, spare plastics, fuel tanks, frames, tires, and full suspension kits outside of a dealership before in my life. They had a dedicated race shop just to work in and he had an awesome outdoor track https://youtu.be/CbHAJdnManM and a supercross track to boot. Thinking the day couldn't possibly get any better I was informed that Levi trained with none other than my favorite 250 rider at the time Justin Barcia and that I would be headed to his compound the following morning to load the bikes up and gear up for the season to start in just 6 short days!!!

My mind was completely blown at this point, I was just a 26 year old farmer from a small town in Kansas and I had been driving trucks over the road for the past 5 years but now I was headed to a MX compound on the GA FL line to meet up with Levi, Justin, and Jon to start my career in the MX industry! For the next 5 1/2 weeks I traveled to Arlington, Atlanta, St. Louis, Daytona, and Indianapolis my life was a blur of pure bliss. I didn't work a single day in my mind, it was all a dream job! I'd wake up early on training days mon - fri and walk the 2 outdoor tracks https://youtu.be/7MYJss-lynE to soak in what it was I was doing for a living and truly cherish the experience I had been given. I was able to help clean bikes, dissassemble and learn to work on bikes, keep track of lap times and progress in relation to new parts being tried on the bikes. Dropping the gate for practice starts, etc I was really living my version of heaven on earth. Fridays mornings I would leave Justins and head to that weekends race venue, races on Saturdays and head back to the compound on sundays and repeat week after week! It was after St. Louis I think when Shawn left the team and it was only Levi in the rig but we were still going to finish out the year and my employment was safe at least until outdoors started. Then after the round in Indianapolis Levi and Justin were practicing down in FL preparing for Toronto the following week and I was headed to the race shop in OH for some maintenance on the rig and I got the call that Levi had broken his wrist during a practice crash. Just like that... and then there was none. I was dreading moving back to the farm but it was what it was and I greatly appreciated the memories and experiences I had gained during those short 6 weeks with the team.

Now 5+ years later I'm managing a mechanic shop in southern Oklahoma working 50-55 hours a week and living pay check to pay check and quite honestly miserable again. Its a decent paying job and I like my coworkers but I cant possibly see myself doing this for another 30 years, its just not my passion. I hate the rat race as they call it, working 40 hours a week or more at a job for 40 years or more for the hope that you'll retire at 40% of what you were earning while employed full time. All I look forward to now is my Saturdays so that I can watch the outdoors on my NBC Gold app. I quit riding 2 years ago after I had a bad head on collision with another motorist resulting in a fatality and due to the wreck I mentally and physically felt my days of riding were over but now days its literally all I can think about. Coming so close to death and walking away only injured was a big wake up call for me but Ill be honest the first couple years I lived in severe survivors guilt and felt horrible about the other driver losing his life and I made it through it. Why did he cross the center median and come in to my lane? As bad as I tried I couldn't shake that question...WHY Why do these things happen. Kind of like Jessy Nelson's story or Mika Musquin's but I finally realized there is no answer to WHY, its just life and it happens to us all. Some have it much worse than others but we all struggle with something at some point.

All these previous paragraphs are just me mumbling on trying to paint you all a picture of my passion for MX and a brief description of where I've been, where I am now, and where I want to go in the future. I was found at 0% fault for the accident I was in and walked away with a small settlement. With that settlement I bought and paid cash for my home and I'm very fortunate not to have a mortgage at 31 years old. I have a good paying job with great co workers even though its long hours, and I'm great at my job but it isn't a fraction as satisfying as walking through those tunnels and into a new stadium each weekend during SX season and walking the track with the best racers of our time. That right there is my dream, and I lived it for 6 short wonderful weeks but that has come and gone. I'm hoping that I can find a way back into the moto industry, I feel like I have an entrepreneurial spirit and I like the idea of being my own boss. My ambition tends to scare some employers because with me the sky is always the limit and I believe that that attitude translates into great business if guided correctly. I am putting my house on the market tomorrow so that I can free up my capital and chase my dream. I plan to buy a diesel pickup and a 5th wheel and hit the road to follow the races and have some left over $$$ for a start up company. I currently make side money on my ecommerce store and intend to continue building that up but I also want to start up a moto company of some kind but this idea will take much more thought as this industry has shown me many times, alot of moto related companies have come and gone rather quickly. Its a difficult industry to thrive in from what I've seen.

Some of my favorite business quotes are: "If you work just for money, you'll never make it, but if you love what you're doing and you always put the customer first, success will be yours." and "Look after the customers and the business will take care of itself." I believe in these 2 quotes very much and think thats what big businesses fail to do. They are generally more worried about the bottom $$$ than the customer. So I hope to start my moto business venture by asking you the moto fans... What motocross related tool, part, bike accessory, graphics design, clothing brand, bike lift, media videos etc. doesn't exist yet or maybe there's already something that exists but could be made better.

What are some things you get frustrated with during a typical ride day, what are things that could be made to make your ride better or easier, the loading up process , the unloading process, gear ideas, etc. Please if you have any ideas spill it , share it I want to hear it. I hope to come up with something on my own or by talking to one of you about an idea and with any luck I can make a great product and bring it to market. If you would rather email me directly and keep your ideas confidential please email me at kyle_glassman@hotmail.com with the subject: MOTO IDEAS.

I've also thought about buying a high quality camera something that shoots in 4K and doing some video edits of the amateurs, or local pros that could have been! Even possibly try to startup a new moto website with rider and team bios, interviews, photo shoots, stats, maybe a ranking system (yes im a stats and tech nerd).

Well I've rambled on way to long by now, but if you've made it this far into the topic then you get the gist and hopefully you'll feel motivated to share that great moto idea that just hasn't been introduced to the market yet!

Happy riding friends!

Kyle
kyle_glassman@hotmail.com
|
rubarb
8/9/2017 11:47am
Do you ever run avgas in your bike?
JWACK
8/9/2017 11:50am
Do not sell your paid off house!!!!

No matter what happens at least you would have a roof over your head. Just my 2 cents.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
8/9/2017 11:59am Edited Date/Time 8/9/2017 12:01pm
JWACK wrote:

No matter what happens at least you would have a roof over your head. Just my 2 cents.
This is the first thing I thought.

If I were you, I'd set up an LLC, and then take out a business loan for whatever business you plan to run. If it all goes south, you'll still have your home and they cannot come after the "employee" of the business for the money lost. On the other had, if your business is a smashing success, you can pay of the business loan and then you'll own your home and a successful venture.

Good luck in whatever you do!

The Shop

neverwas
Fantasy
784th
8/9/2017 12:17pm
Don't sell the house,rent it and collect some income.
Flip109
8/9/2017 12:46pm
JWACK wrote:

Falcon wrote:
This is the first thing I thought. If I were you, I'd set up an LLC, and then take out a business loan for whatever business...

If I were you, I'd set up an LLC, and then take out a business loan for whatever business you plan to run. If it all goes south, you'll still have your home and they cannot come after the "employee" of the business for the money lost. On the other had, if your business is a smashing success, you can pay of the business loan and then you'll own your home and a successful venture.

This times a million! Kinda goes with this article:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/24/heres-why-you-shouldnt-just-quit-your-j…

ledger
8/9/2017 12:59pm
neverwas wrote:
Don't sell the house,rent it and collect some income.
Solid advice right here.
Katoomey
8/9/2017 1:13pm
Well, moto journalist/editor is out. I couldn't make it through half of that. and the half i did read was not terribly interesting.

Unfortunately, like any other industry, you have to bring something to the table. Desire and commitment dont have much value without any skills or knowledge.
SteezGeez
Fantasy
476th
8/9/2017 1:20pm
JWACK wrote:

Falcon wrote:
This is the first thing I thought. If I were you, I'd set up an LLC, and then take out a business loan for whatever business...

X3.

Don't sell the home. Always better to have something to fall back on. We understand your passion for the sport and drive to follow it but you can do it in a smarter way. As for a product I don't have any idea as I'm an accountant with no creativity but there are smarter ways to do exactly what you want without selling your home.
mx617
8/9/2017 1:57pm
JWACK wrote:

Falcon wrote:

Maybe it's different in Canada, but I can guarantee up here no bank will lend any money whatsoever to a startup corporation without a personal guarantee from the owners.

That aside, do it man! I agree with keeping the house and renting it out, and another option is to secure a HELOC before you quit. Then you have the liquidity, the income and the asset still.
woodsrider427
8/9/2017 2:10pm
JWACK wrote:

Falcon wrote:

As far as I know, no bank (around here anyway) will loan money to an LLC or Corporation (no matter how long in business, definitely not a start up) without an officer signing a personal guarantee. I built spec homes for many years and they even made my wife sign one for every construction loan, even though she has nothing to do with the business. In my opinion getting a loan for a new business is a terrible idea anyway, but I agree 100% about not selling the paid off house.

OP, with the house paid off you should be able to save a good chunk of money in another year or two, then rent the house like someone else mentioned and you would have someplace to come back to if it didn't work out. Sometimes good things are worth waiting a little for. But I definitely understand the frustration of dealing same old day to day.
stangkag
8/9/2017 2:14pm
Thank you to everyone who's replied so far, I know this house is my nest egg so to speak and I understand that selling it for this dream is kind of crazy but I was unable to work for over a year due to injuries sustained in the wreck and because of that my first house was foreclosed by the bank and not being able to work resulted in my 742 FICO score falling into the 400-500 range. I probably couldn't get approved for a kit kat bar these days with my credit score.

So maybe renting the house out is the best idea to come out of this, but when I mentioned that to the realtor on the phone yesterday she said if I owned it out right , renting it out for others to destroy and mess up made no sense.

Thoughts?
OR Racer46
Fantasy
876th
8/9/2017 2:14pm
Maybe start something like the Wonder warthog deal . Transport priveteers to the races ?
stangkag
8/9/2017 2:17pm
JWACK wrote:

Falcon wrote:

As far as I know, no bank (around here anyway) will loan money to an LLC or Corporation (no matter how long in business, definitely not...
As far as I know, no bank (around here anyway) will loan money to an LLC or Corporation (no matter how long in business, definitely not a start up) without an officer signing a personal guarantee. I built spec homes for many years and they even made my wife sign one for every construction loan, even though she has nothing to do with the business. In my opinion getting a loan for a new business is a terrible idea anyway, but I agree 100% about not selling the paid off house.

OP, with the house paid off you should be able to save a good chunk of money in another year or two, then rent the house like someone else mentioned and you would have someplace to come back to if it didn't work out. Sometimes good things are worth waiting a little for. But I definitely understand the frustration of dealing same old day to day.
Solid advice, thank you.
early
Fantasy
2212th
8/9/2017 2:21pm
stangkag wrote:
Thank you to everyone who's replied so far, I know this house is my nest egg so to speak and I understand that selling it for...
Thank you to everyone who's replied so far, I know this house is my nest egg so to speak and I understand that selling it for this dream is kind of crazy but I was unable to work for over a year due to injuries sustained in the wreck and because of that my first house was foreclosed by the bank and not being able to work resulted in my 742 FICO score falling into the 400-500 range. I probably couldn't get approved for a kit kat bar these days with my credit score.

So maybe renting the house out is the best idea to come out of this, but when I mentioned that to the realtor on the phone yesterday she said if I owned it out right , renting it out for others to destroy and mess up made no sense.

Thoughts?
Sounds like your realtor was really saying "I cant make a comission if you rent your house instead of have me sell it"
mauidex
8/9/2017 2:21pm
stangkag wrote:
Thank you to everyone who's replied so far, I know this house is my nest egg so to speak and I understand that selling it for...

Thoughts?
realtor doesn't make any sales commission if you rent itUnsureUnsureWhistlingWhistling
Xeno
8/9/2017 2:30pm
If you hate the rat race, do not even consider a job in the SoCal moto industry.
8/9/2017 2:32pm
stangkag wrote:

Thoughts?
mauidex wrote:
realtor doesn't make any sales commission if you rent itUnsureUnsureWhistlingWhistling
haha bingo!
JB 19
8/9/2017 2:47pm Edited Date/Time 8/9/2017 2:59pm
stangkag wrote:

Thoughts?
I don't mean to step on anyone's toes here, but realtors typically don't know much about the real estate business other than how to show a home. They think they do, but most don't. I've flipped some houses and own some rentals and realtors try to give you advice that makes no business sense. They think that spending a lot of time around houses makes them understand business.

For the time being you should hold onto the house at least until you find out how your new plan works out. Even if someone trashes the house its probably some drywall mud, paint, and flooring away from being fixed. If you cash out and burn through the money it's gone.

Maybe I shouldn't tell you this, but you can usually find a bank that will loan up to 50% value on real estate regardless of your credit. You might have to rent the house to get funds to cover the payment and then you open yourself up to being under the gun managing the place to make sure you get your money....and if you default the bank can take the house.... If you rent the house you can write the loan payment interest off on your taxes.

Just think before you jump, because it sounds like are ready to do something crazy. lol
FTB
8/9/2017 3:36pm Edited Date/Time 8/9/2017 3:42pm
stangkag wrote:

Thoughts?
I agree. I rented my 1st house out and it got trashed. Couldn't sell the fucken thing fast enough and will never own another house again. Seriously, I'd rather live in a tent.
IMO, A house is just like a boat anchor. They just tie you down. Biggest PITA I've ever known.

Here's another quote for you. "If you love your job, you'll never work a day in your life".

Consider this. After watching the news yesterday, and seeing what Trumps latest comments to Nrth Korea were. I seriosly wouldn't have been shocked to wake up this morning in WW3.
Yeah, my Grand parents didn't think it would happen to them either. I've always tried to live life like there will be no tomorrow.

NorCal 50+
8/9/2017 4:22pm
Having team truck experience seems like it is pretty rare. That sets you apart, so why not check around and see what other teams might have a need?
Moto media is a shitload of work and very difficult to make money, but everything is hard at some point.
JW381
8/9/2017 4:27pm
This thread gives me dejavu
woodsrider427
8/9/2017 4:35pm
stangkag wrote:

Thoughts?
With a paid off house the credit thing shouldn't be an issue, if I were you I'd never borrow money again. I paid my house off quite a few years ago and also froze my credit and haven't looked back since. By far the best thing I've ever done financially, it's amazing how fast you can save money with no bills. I'm not one to tell someone not to chase their dreams, but sometimes good things are worth waiting a little for.

As for the realtor's comments, maybe they are saying that because they won't get any commission if you rent it (they would get a small amount if you did it through them). And are they saying if it wasn't paid for then it would be okay to rent? A paid for rental house is the best kind to have, all positive cash flow (but put away some for repairs). Even if they mess it up some, it can be repaired. You still wouldn't lose as much as you would on a diesel and a fifth wheel. Maybe save up and buy a cheaper motor home to start out in?
TXDirt
8/9/2017 5:25pm
Do not sell house. Even if you don't rent it out it's already paid off so you have little if any housing costs. You can pursue your dream and rent an apartment wherever you might find an MX job. You can use new job to pay for temporary housing.

Personally, I would not start up a business in MX. Unless you have some killer idea, you are going to blow your money. Sounds like you want to be around the MX team so I would try and get a job with a team somehow.

You could also try and latch on with an upcoming amateur rider. Do mechanic work. Drive daddy's half million Moto rig to all the races. Perhaps the kid is good enough to go pro some day.

Lots of options that won't lead to financial ruin while still getting you that up close MX dream.
ledger
8/9/2017 5:30pm
With a paid off house the credit thing shouldn't be an issue, if I were you I'd never borrow money again. I paid my house off...
With a paid off house the credit thing shouldn't be an issue, if I were you I'd never borrow money again. I paid my house off quite a few years ago and also froze my credit and haven't looked back since. By far the best thing I've ever done financially, it's amazing how fast you can save money with no bills. I'm not one to tell someone not to chase their dreams, but sometimes good things are worth waiting a little for.

As for the realtor's comments, maybe they are saying that because they won't get any commission if you rent it (they would get a small amount if you did it through them). And are they saying if it wasn't paid for then it would be okay to rent? A paid for rental house is the best kind to have, all positive cash flow (but put away some for repairs). Even if they mess it up some, it can be repaired. You still wouldn't lose as much as you would on a diesel and a fifth wheel. Maybe save up and buy a cheaper motor home to start out in?
Solid advice again.
bama205
8/9/2017 7:15pm Edited Date/Time 8/9/2017 7:18pm
JWACK wrote:

Falcon wrote:

not totally true, they can definitely come after the members of an LLC.

Seek professional advice.
Keep the house and don't borrow any more money.
JRT812
8/9/2017 7:27pm
JW381 wrote:
This thread gives me dejavu
X2

Post a reply to: Leaving the 8-5 to chase the Moto dream (non racer)

The Latest