Leaving Mote due to injury, alternatives?

flymoto
Edited Date/Time 7/1/2020 5:12am
This kills me to make this thread. It’s looking like I’m probably going to be giving up motocross due to a back injury (disc herniations and Spondylolisthesis). It cause me great pain even now a week after I’m still feeling the effects. I’m 29 and don’t want to be a total cripple which will most likely happen if I carry one, I’ve been suffering for 2-3 years now.

I still need my fix though, so what’s the alternatives? Has anyone suffered a similar injury and carried on?

I was thinking maybe downhill mtb as that’s most standing so a lot of shock could be absorbed in the knees.

Jet ski?

Possibly road racing like a 600 but it’s not that accessible and really expensive for track time and ease of just riding like Mx is.
|
AJ565
6/26/2020 8:50am
Shifter karts are also fun.
nm143
6/26/2020 8:59am
Car road racing is a fun alternative. You can start with some simple track days in whatever car you have now. Move on to time attack and wheel-to-wheel racing in the future if you wanted. It's certainly not the cheapest hobby, but I've found it to be quite fun. In some ways it's relaxing to not be so concerned about getting hurt.
Lastander
6/26/2020 9:11am
I bought a standup jetski last summer, and its probably the one thing that gets me going as much as when im on my bike.
Look for either a SXR800 or a Superjet, the 4 stroke engines tend to make them feel a bit heavy
loftyair
6/26/2020 9:12am
A little bit of trials and just trail riding for enjoyment is quite nice.

The Shop

731chopper
Fantasy
355th
6/26/2020 9:14am
I stopped riding for about 6 years and went through a lot of different hobbies to fill the void.

Karting is fun but it was even more of a hassle than moto in my experience. There aren’t that many tracks, if any, in some areas and the cost can be quite high.

I never actually raced cars but I joined a track and bought a couple different cars that I’d drive. One of my cars was an old e30 BMW that I put some work into and it was an absolute blast to drive around the track. My old man had a Formula B car that I spent some time in but, honestly, I had more fun in that old BMW.

I got into R/C planes and cars. Those were a lot of fun. There are some really cool electric planes for not that much money. I had a couple Losi electric buggies that I’d race on supercross style tracks. Those were a lot of fun, especially on the tracks I built, but R/C doesn’t scratch the itch of physically doing something.

Mountain biking is great. I can’t relate to downhill because I live in North Texas but even the cross country style trails we have are fun. The only thing that sucks is during the wet season the trails can be closed a lot. It takes a while for them to dry out if it’s been continuously raining.

In college (part of the 6 years without riding) I got really into mil-sim airsoft. That was actually a hell of a lot of fun but you need a group of buddies to do it with to really have fun and I feel too old to do that now.

At the end of the day, though, nothing beats motocross for me. I had to come back. I just ride well within my comfort zone and check my ego at the door. I am starting to feel the physical toll on my body, though.
TJ FRG
6/26/2020 9:21am
Try renting an ebike or regular bicycle from your local shop to get an idea how your body reacts.
6/26/2020 9:28am
Racing a sportbike is as close as you're going to get IMO. Costs go up and everything is more of a hassle IE track days are all day things, you can't just show up at noon to ride the afternoon and speeds are obviously higher so risk is still there. I went moto/sportbikes/moto and really like moto as it's a bit more chill and you can show up with a bike in the back up a truck as apposed to sportbikes racing where you need a trailer with spares, extra wheel sets etc.
Taotech
6/26/2020 9:45am
I rollerskate, indoor rock climb, and rip my local back roads on a gsxr 1100. The gsxr is very dangerous and very satisfying.
Stuntman949
6/26/2020 9:49am
I started building a prerunner. About all my back can handle after the break. Shifter karts are a big no no
Mx 117
6/26/2020 9:52am
Before giving up on moto, try changing your daily routine.
I was having low back pain as I have compressed a few vertebrae(almost breaking tailbone).
Do forearm planks every night with a goal of achieving 5 minutes.
Also stretching every day will do wonders. I've been using ROMwod for a few months.
I am 28, and have been consistent with workouts for 6-7 years (crossfit, powerlifting, cycling, running, swimming), and wish I started doing planks and stretching the whole time rather than a few months ago.
Dimblewambie
6/26/2020 9:53am
I got into racing RC cars as well when I took a break from riding about 7-8yrs ago. Larry Ward talked about RC racing on his Whiskey Throttle interview too. Like any good hobby it can be extremely expensive, but also very enjoyable. I did the 1/5 gas powered, so you still get to enjoy the 2 stroke smell and sound. If you enjoy building/maintaining/modding your motorcycle you’ll like working on the RCs too, at least the bigger ones. Racing on a track gave me a lot of the same mental stimulation as riding, picking lines, setting up passes, trying to be fast but consistent etc. It was a good time, met a lot of great people but ultimately fizzled out because to be competitive it consumes so much time and money. Now I take them out to the dunes a couple times a year and try to break stuff.

6/26/2020 10:01am
I have found wrenching on and learning/understanding more about bikes fills a bit of the void for me. I don't ride nearly as often as I used to , and when I do, I generally ride about mid-pace and below. So in my spare time I do a lot of helping out with my nephews who race much more often and more seriously. Definitely not the adrenaline rush of actually racing but sitting on the gate with someone who you are personally investing time and interest into is a rewarding feeling and keeps a connection to the sport, regardless of race results.
mx_563
6/26/2020 10:14am
OK obviously two wheeled alternatives are at the top of the list...trials, enduro, mountain bikes, etc. Four wheels are cool too. But just to hit you with something completely out of the box......and don't laugh....offshore sailing.

You are in GBR which has a strong sailing heritage (although i don't know how far inland you are). You get yourself out about a mile offshore in some chop and 30+ knots and the adrenaline will be flowing, guaranteed.

Check out Erik Aanderaa's channel...

https://youtu.be/j4ZfmA5m22A

LOOnatic
6/26/2020 10:24am
As an ex road racer and bicycle DH guy I don't think either one is really "safer". Road racing maybe a little bc most get offs are low side crashes where you slide off the track. That sport is now stupid expensive .
Bicycle DH is pretty gnarly with lots of obstacles to hit and being a moto guy are you going to send the big jumps (probably) or go around them?
Sorry I'm being a downer with my experience.
Low impact I'm thinking golf and maybe sailing like the other guy posted.
6/26/2020 10:25am
Do they have Mini Bike road racing where you are? Usually pretty cheap. Worked with a couple guys who did it years ago. Racing on Groms or similar powered bikes on Go Kart tracks.

Bramlett321
6/26/2020 10:38am
I feel your pain literally with the back injuries. I've been under the knife 3 times but on the last they finally got it right. Not sure if you've actually had any surgeries or how bad off you really are. My L5/S1 was removed and an artificial disc was put in it's place, once that healed and I got off the damn pain pills I was good as new. Good to the point that I broke my back at a moto track in Greenville, TX doing what I knew I shouldn't be....I am telling you all this because there is still hope if you love riding. Riding trails at a decent speed has filled that void for me and I love the hell out of it. Especially race day there is so much more actual riding vs sitting and waiting around all day. Something to think about, nothing comes close to moto though.
flymoto
6/26/2020 10:40am
Racing a sportbike is as close as you're going to get IMO. Costs go up and everything is more of a hassle IE track days are...
Racing a sportbike is as close as you're going to get IMO. Costs go up and everything is more of a hassle IE track days are all day things, you can't just show up at noon to ride the afternoon and speeds are obviously higher so risk is still there. I went moto/sportbikes/moto and really like moto as it's a bit more chill and you can show up with a bike in the back up a truck as apposed to sportbikes racing where you need a trailer with spares, extra wheel sets etc.
Yeh that’s my only concern! Moto has been hard work recently with covid, having to book in everywhere etc and it just a hassle trying to ride. Along with the extra costs, I’ve always said I’d love to do it but it’s probably not all it’s cracked up to be.
flymoto
6/26/2020 10:45am
Damm some great suggestions here and I’m going to have to look at them in more detail. I don’t think I’ll be stuck for something to do in my spare time. I always thought I’d be riding into my 60s but looking around now and thinking about it, most riders at the track are 20s. Defiantly takes it toll but that’s probably why it’s the greatest sport I know
flymoto
6/26/2020 10:47am
Mx 117 wrote:
Before giving up on moto, try changing your daily routine. I was having low back pain as I have compressed a few vertebrae(almost breaking tailbone). Do...
Before giving up on moto, try changing your daily routine.
I was having low back pain as I have compressed a few vertebrae(almost breaking tailbone).
Do forearm planks every night with a goal of achieving 5 minutes.
Also stretching every day will do wonders. I've been using ROMwod for a few months.
I am 28, and have been consistent with workouts for 6-7 years (crossfit, powerlifting, cycling, running, swimming), and wish I started doing planks and stretching the whole time rather than a few months ago.
I’ve tried everything man. I’ve been rehabbing for the last 2 years, all I’ve done for the last 3 month is my core exercises religiously and small walks. Proper sucks but I guess it could be worse. Good to see you still been active in the gym one day I’d like to get back to that!
flymoto
6/26/2020 10:50am
Do they have Mini Bike road racing where you are? Usually pretty cheap. Worked with a couple guys who did it years ago. Racing on Groms...
Do they have Mini Bike road racing where you are? Usually pretty cheap. Worked with a couple guys who did it years ago. Racing on Groms or similar powered bikes on Go Kart tracks.

Someone actually suggested this a while back to me and I shrugged it off but it has potential. Looks good fun and there’s more tracks etc, deffo worth looking into I think, I can imagine it’s good competitive racing too
flymoto
6/26/2020 10:52am
I feel your pain literally with the back injuries. I've been under the knife 3 times but on the last they finally got it right. Not...
I feel your pain literally with the back injuries. I've been under the knife 3 times but on the last they finally got it right. Not sure if you've actually had any surgeries or how bad off you really are. My L5/S1 was removed and an artificial disc was put in it's place, once that healed and I got off the damn pain pills I was good as new. Good to the point that I broke my back at a moto track in Greenville, TX doing what I knew I shouldn't be....I am telling you all this because there is still hope if you love riding. Riding trails at a decent speed has filled that void for me and I love the hell out of it. Especially race day there is so much more actual riding vs sitting and waiting around all day. Something to think about, nothing comes close to moto though.
Jesus man that’s serious. I’ve no ops yet but I’m waiting to hear bsck from my physio as it will probably be my next option to get a fusion. Sucks but I’ll do it if it means me having some normality bsck! Do you find it a lot easier on your body than moto?
flymoto
6/26/2020 10:53am
mx_563 wrote:
OK obviously two wheeled alternatives are at the top of the list...trials, enduro, mountain bikes, etc. Four wheels are cool too. But just to hit you...
OK obviously two wheeled alternatives are at the top of the list...trials, enduro, mountain bikes, etc. Four wheels are cool too. But just to hit you with something completely out of the box......and don't laugh....offshore sailing.

You are in GBR which has a strong sailing heritage (although i don't know how far inland you are). You get yourself out about a mile offshore in some chop and 30+ knots and the adrenaline will be flowing, guaranteed.

Check out Erik Aanderaa's channel...

https://youtu.be/j4ZfmA5m22A

Good suggestion, I’ve heard it can be a good buzz, I’m only about 45 mins away from the coast so not bad! Some different for sure!
captmoto
6/26/2020 10:55am
I let ak id race my vintage bike at A Day In The Dirt and really was surprised at how much I enjoyed watching him win on it. I think if I had to bow out I would probably finish up my 79 RM250 and run an informal vintage race team. My back is pretty well wreck though doesn't sound as bad as yours though I made it to 63. At my age everything hurts to some degree.
EngIceDave
6/26/2020 10:59am
flymoto wrote:
This kills me to make this thread. It’s looking like I’m probably going to be giving up motocross due to a back injury (disc herniations and...
This kills me to make this thread. It’s looking like I’m probably going to be giving up motocross due to a back injury (disc herniations and Spondylolisthesis). It cause me great pain even now a week after I’m still feeling the effects. I’m 29 and don’t want to be a total cripple which will most likely happen if I carry one, I’ve been suffering for 2-3 years now.

I still need my fix though, so what’s the alternatives? Has anyone suffered a similar injury and carried on?

I was thinking maybe downhill mtb as that’s most standing so a lot of shock could be absorbed in the knees.

Jet ski?

Possibly road racing like a 600 but it’s not that accessible and really expensive for track time and ease of just riding like Mx is.
Been there, done that.
My back is jacked up the same way.

What is it you get, or want to get, from moto?

The jumping? Corners (I loved cornering)? The "freedom" feeling? The people? Camaraderie?
The thrill of competition, racing?

What do you want from alternative, that is what you love about moto?

How's your bank account?
6/26/2020 11:00am
Hey man, I’m in a similar boat but not nearly as serious. 4 years ago I tore my ACL and have undergone 3 surgeries since, I lost nearly all of my cartilage and I can’t ride again until spring (Had surgery last December)

Unfortunately I’m giving serious thought to just hanging it up for the next 5-6 years because I’m only 28 and would rather live without constant knee pain. It sucks but I think a lot of perspective is lost in these threads when the responders are usually people who have only known moto and not many other sports.

the closest thing that scratches the itch for me is MTB, but I’m very fortunate that I live in the Mecca for that, Northern California. For me personally, a good day in my stumpjumper is nearly almost as good as a good day on my 450.

Lot cheaper too!
Mr. Afterbar
6/26/2020 11:06am
1/10 scale indoor electric off road or 1/8 scale off road RC racing. You’ll be amazed how much it is like racing moto minus the danger. You get to build the cars, tinker with adjustments and blow all your money on titanium and carbon fiber. If you get decent you will have the same feelings when racing as you do before a MX race. I know it sounds silly, but it definitely will help to fill the void.

Post a reply to: Leaving Mote due to injury, alternatives?

The Latest