Leatt helmets

10/18/2017 7:42pm
Is anybody using these? How's the fit, protection, etc?
|
RPM68
10/18/2017 7:57pm Edited Date/Time 10/18/2017 7:58pm
Fit sucks and feel very chinese built, however the technology isn't bad.

If the cranium fits well the cheeks don't, very similar to the 6D, or Fox V3, unless you have larger cheeks.

Structural integrity isn't bad but they just fit weird. However the potential is huge. They do a shit ton of test to prove their technology, but I feel like I'm going to a neck surgeon for a brain surgery.

Also, if you're spending 5+ on a helmet just buy from the helmet experts.
10/18/2017 8:07pm
Ok, interesting to hear. I thought it would be good considering their stuff is usually pretty good. There's a bunch of deals that put it in the $200-$250 range so I thought it would be a good deal at that price.
dak446
10/18/2017 8:10pm
RPM68 wrote:
Fit sucks and feel very chinese built, however the technology isn't bad. If the cranium fits well the cheeks don't, very similar to the 6D, or...
Fit sucks and feel very chinese built, however the technology isn't bad.

If the cranium fits well the cheeks don't, very similar to the 6D, or Fox V3, unless you have larger cheeks.

Structural integrity isn't bad but they just fit weird. However the potential is huge. They do a shit ton of test to prove their technology, but I feel like I'm going to a neck surgeon for a brain surgery.

Also, if you're spending 5+ on a helmet just buy from the helmet experts.
Couldn't agree more. This is an absolutely spot on review.
Rocket88
10/18/2017 8:25pm
The new 2018's have improved liners & cheek pads. Much better fit & feel!

The Shop

b8res
10/18/2017 8:38pm
Is anybody using these? How's the fit, protection, etc?
I've been using one since last year. My local shop had a few on the shelf so I was able to test fit
The fit was a tad snug in the beginning. The cheek pads broke in and formed nicely.
The air flow through the helmet is really good. Last winter / spring I closed a few vents to restrict some of the air. This past summer, racing in over 100 degrees it was nice to have the flow.

The visor has 3 breakaway nylon screws... I've tested the breakaway screws and they performed as advertised. The replacement screws were easy to order and come in a 3 pack. The crash was brutal but enough to shear off 2 of the 3 screw s. The visor withstood the impact and didn't break.

The headliner and cheek pads have been washed numerous times and seem to be holding up just fine. With the amount of ventilation really doesn't pick up and sweat oders and drys out between motos.

The weight seems on par with helmets of the same price range. My old helmet was a MIPS style and did weight heavier.

The cheek pads are equipped with tabs to be removed with the helmet on, also is set up for an eject system as well.

My only real complaint is, that the goggle area seems smaller when using 100% Racecraft goggles. The nose bridge area on the Racecraft goggles gets in the way of the roost delector area on the front of the helmet. If I remove the nose bridge on the goggles it's a non issue.

I haven't taken any serious hits with it, other than what I mentioned and a few other get offs that resulted in no damage, chips or cracks.

Overall I've been very happy with the helmet and wouldn't hesitate to purchase another Leatt helmet. This November will be a year living with the Leatt.

Hope this helps....
colintrax
Fantasy
2250th
10/18/2017 8:39pm
I think it fits great, does feel a bit cheap but I wouldn't say Chinese. Just not arai. Somewhere in the middle.
planter
10/21/2017 8:41am
I've got one and the fit at first was a little weird. I either got used to it or it broke in, because now it fits fine.

The only thing I would mention that is a big negative is a lot of the places that carry the helmet do not have replacement visors so we had to go through Leatt directly.

They were $40 per visor which is just ridiculous!! That price and availability would have me rethink the purchase some if I were to do it over again. They need to make them more available and reasonably priced.
10/21/2017 9:20am
planter wrote:
I've got one and the fit at first was a little weird. I either got used to it or it broke in, because now it fits...
I've got one and the fit at first was a little weird. I either got used to it or it broke in, because now it fits fine.

The only thing I would mention that is a big negative is a lot of the places that carry the helmet do not have replacement visors so we had to go through Leatt directly.

They were $40 per visor which is just ridiculous!! That price and availability would have me rethink the purchase some if I were to do it over again. They need to make them more available and reasonably priced.
Honestly 40 bucks for a visor is pretty normal.
planter
10/24/2017 5:32pm
I guess there are some that are $40 + but there are a lot of options on good helmets with lower replacement cost:

Bell Moto 9 replacement visor RMATV $20

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/825/53793/Bell-Moto-9-Carbon-Flex-…

fly carbon replacement visor $30 bucks

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/825/66293/Fly-Racing-F2-Carbon-Mip…

MSR MIPS replacement visor $30 bucks

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/825/64055/MSR-Mav3-Block-w-MIPS-He…

Post a reply to: Leatt helmets

The Latest