Leatt cease & desist vs A-Stars?

motoplook
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 12:35pm
Just heard a rumor from Cali that Leatt guys said they won a cease & desist case against Alpinestars and Omega 10 days ago? sales bullshit or true? anyone heard anything? Especially knowing Omega is a completely different system. If it was true, are they trying to protect their business by getting a monopoly and dividends from anything called a next-brace?
|
jeffro503
8/31/2011 11:05am
If it's true then.....that's bullshit! Just think if someone like JT said years ago , that if anyone else makes riding gear , we'll sue you". people need to have choices. How the hell could they win that argument in court?
Neutra
8/31/2011 11:35am
I don't think your comment can apply here. Everybody has the right to do a neck brace. It's about patents that are infringing probably. But I'm sure Alps did their brace knowing it would be different enough to avoid such cease and desist issue.
Interesting to see... Worst case scenario for Alp is that they might have to pay a royalty or something like that. But i don't know these guys and details and I'm not a lawyer either..... :-)
ODB
9/1/2011 3:34am
most patents i believe ,last for only a few years ,but to infringe on thembefore that may be bad news for AS
newmann
9/1/2011 4:06am
With what A Stars charges for that non adjustable piece of crap three dollar squirt molded piece of plastic they call a neck brace, surely they could afford to pay a royalty to Leatt.

The Shop

Void Main
9/1/2011 5:06am
ODB wrote:
most patents i believe ,last for only a few years ,but to infringe on thembefore that may be bad news for AS
http://www.uspto.gov/inventors/patents.jsp#heading-5

How long does patent protection last?

For applications filed on or after June 8, 1995, utility and plant patents are granted for a term which begins with the date of the grant and usually ends 20 years from the date you first applied for the patent subject to the payment of appropriate maintenance fees. Design patents last 14 years from the date you are granted the patent. No maintenance fees are required for design patents.

Note: Patents in force on June 8, 1995 and patents issued thereafter on applications filed prior to June 8, 1995 automatically have a term that is the greater of the twenty year term discussed above or seventeen years from the patent grant.
mxrose3
Fantasy
1046th
9/1/2011 8:12am
If that is true, its total bullshit on Leatt's part.
The current Leatt brace still has issues that need to be addressed, and they refuse to address them properly - instead, they sue other companies for trying to copy them and rely on the 'looks' of it because our youth think 'it looks cool'. We could be light years ahead in neck brace technology, but you can thank Leatt for slowing progress down. Thanks Leatt, you will never see another dollar from me come your way if this is true.
David Izer
9/1/2011 8:23am
Leatt was just recently issued their "utility" patent which now protects them.
CamP
9/1/2011 9:23am Edited Date/Time 9/1/2011 9:25am
mxrose3 wrote:
If that is true, its total bullshit on Leatt's part. The current Leatt brace still has issues that need to be addressed, and they refuse to...
The current Leatt brace still has issues that need to be addressed, and they refuse to address them properly - instead, they sue other companies for trying to copy them and rely on the 'looks' of it because our youth think 'it looks cool'. We could be light years ahead in neck brace technology, but you can thank Leatt for slowing progress down. Thanks Leatt, you will never see another dollar from me come your way if this is true.
Spend $5,000,000 of your own money inventing/developing a new product and I'm sure you'll change your tune when the copycat companies start ripping you off.
TeamGreen
9/1/2011 9:45am
There's this place in Virginia...it's called the "Patent Office"...

There's a Document FIled and "Numbered" in that Office.

That Document will decide this issue.
Neutra
9/1/2011 10:03am
CamP wrote:
Spend $5,000,000 of your own money inventing/developing a new product and I'm sure you'll change your tune when the copycat companies start ripping you off.
LOL :-0
Zycki11
9/1/2011 10:26am
I have had both Leatt and AS. Hands down the alpinestar is better. It fits better, feels better, and distributes the force better. A part of me still feels like it's all a big gimik
PaleBlue
9/1/2011 11:07am
This wouldn't be the first time Leatt have done something like this. A few years ago they saw off a neck brace by Fro Systems here in the UK.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
9/1/2011 11:50am
CamP wrote:
What this guy said!

Any of you guys have any business sense at all or just love making wild speculations?
bearded clam
9/1/2011 11:58am
CamP wrote:
Ramrod wrote:
What this guy said!

Any of you guys have any business sense at all or just love making wild speculations?
I can understand that w companys like apple but when it comes to saftey gear the more the better. We need choices...just like helmets, boots and knee braces.
This makes me question weather Leatt is really concerned for rider saftey or there pocket books.
pitbike502
9/1/2011 12:01pm
mxrose3 wrote:
If that is true, its total bullshit on Leatt's part. The current Leatt brace still has issues that need to be addressed, and they refuse to...
doubt it. you dont even have to do any sort of "research" to see that the doctor that invented the leatt brace was an enthusiastic inventor that saw a need for protection and filled it. By light years ahead, are you referring to the astars guy that came up with the idea for the brace in the first place? or how about the evs guy? or omega? on the outside looking in, this brace is light years ahead, it is truly a mile marker in the motorsports world as far as safety is concerned.

if you dont want to purchase one, dont, but dont threaten the internet community with never seeing a dollar from you. the guys over to leatt arent corporate big wigs that never get feedback from the real world, they are riders and riders families like you and i. They get on this board from time to time, and are very passionate about their product.

my 2 cents..
CamP
9/1/2011 12:05pm
CamP wrote:
Ramrod wrote:
What this guy said!

I can understand that w companys like apple but when it comes to saftey gear the more the better. We need choices...just like helmets, boots and...
I can understand that w companys like apple but when it comes to saftey gear the more the better. We need choices...just like helmets, boots and knee braces.
This makes me question weather Leatt is really concerned for rider saftey or there pocket books.
At the risk of repeating myself, spend $5,000,000 of your own money inventing/developing a new product and I'm sure you'll change your tune when the copycat companies start ripping you off.
TeamGreen
9/1/2011 12:10pm
Wow, Cam's right...

Some of you are outta your fckn heads when it comes to understanding...and...STAYING IN...Business.

Idiots.
mxrose3
Fantasy
1046th
9/1/2011 12:13pm
mxrose3 wrote:
pitbike502 wrote:
doubt it. you dont even have to do any sort of "research" to see that the doctor that invented the leatt brace was an enthusiastic inventor...
doubt it. you dont even have to do any sort of "research" to see that the doctor that invented the leatt brace was an enthusiastic inventor that saw a need for protection and filled it. By light years ahead, are you referring to the astars guy that came up with the idea for the brace in the first place? or how about the evs guy? or omega? on the outside looking in, this brace is light years ahead, it is truly a mile marker in the motorsports world as far as safety is concerned.

if you dont want to purchase one, dont, but dont threaten the internet community with never seeing a dollar from you. the guys over to leatt arent corporate big wigs that never get feedback from the real world, they are riders and riders families like you and i. They get on this board from time to time, and are very passionate about their product.

my 2 cents..
I know all about the Leatt.... my son and I had worn them since they introduced them, but we discovered their shortcomings. We both switched to another brand because they refuse to address the problems with them. You guys have every right to your own opinion... I'm sorry but I have mine too.
raddad
9/1/2011 12:17pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Wow, Cam's right...

Some of you are outta your fckn heads when it comes to understanding...and...STAYING IN...Business.

Idiots.
Its hard to believe that anyone could falt Leatt for protecting their patent. I have been in this situation and if anyone so much as talked about taking my product and copying it I was all over them like flies on shit.. Wise up people and listen to cam..
TeamGreen
9/1/2011 12:20pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Wow, Cam's right...

Idiots.
raddad wrote:
Its hard to believe that anyone could falt Leatt for protecting their patent. I have been in this situation and if anyone so much as talked...
Its hard to believe that anyone could falt Leatt for protecting their patent. I have been in this situation and if anyone so much as talked about taking my product and copying it I was all over them like flies on shit.. Wise up people and listen to cam..
You, sir, are credited w/ -1- free beer.

U gonna be at Pala? If so, p.m. a dude!
newmann
9/1/2011 12:29pm
Ramrod wrote:
What this guy said!

I can understand that w companys like apple but when it comes to saftey gear the more the better. We need choices...just like helmets, boots and...
CamP wrote:
At the risk of repeating myself, spend $5,000,000 of your own money inventing/developing a new product and I'm sure you'll change your tune when the copycat...
At the risk of repeating myself, spend $5,000,000 of your own money inventing/developing a new product and I'm sure you'll change your tune when the copycat companies start ripping you off.
No shit. Leatt literally put their necks on the line with their product. No one had stepped up to the plate the way they did and they have every right to protect their investment. Everyone and their brother pisses and moans about Leatt's research into their product yet no one ever questions Alpinestars?? How fucked up is that? Obviously none of the complainers here are familiar with Honda's patented front brake hose routing. LMAO! Now that was one for the record books there. Honda actually patented the routing of a brake hose. Shorter hose equals more braking performance. No one else wanted to pay royalties to Honda so the bike shootouts always favored Honda's outstanding brakes. Shit's in the details folks.
raddad
9/1/2011 12:37pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Wow, Cam's right...

Idiots.
raddad wrote:
Its hard to believe that anyone could falt Leatt for protecting their patent. I have been in this situation and if anyone so much as talked...
TeamGreen wrote:
You, sir, are credited w/ -1- free beer.

U gonna be at Pala? If so, p.m. a dude!
I just might go but only if I can line up a bike to ride amateur day! Been off the bike all summer after an operation but should be good to go next week and I'm gettin' itchySmile
mxrose3
Fantasy
1046th
9/1/2011 12:41pm
and if Gottlieb Daimler would have patented the motorcycle back in 1885 we'd probably all still be riding dirt bikes with 4 inches of dual shock suspension. The Leatt is an unfinished product and still behind where it should be. I'm just saying this is an area of the sport that needs advancing, and it needs it quick. All this shit is just slowing it down.
9/1/2011 12:54pm Edited Date/Time 9/1/2011 12:55pm
so apple should sue microsoft? and ford should sue chevy?

its all about the $$$. start losing it and you gotta dig deep to get it back. pathetic. like i said, if they performed the same exact way, as in if Astars stole the actual design and mechanics, crumble rates, and so on, then ok. but they are completely different braces.
hopefully astars reaches in their deeper pockets and fights it all the way. might uncover some truth. and someone might decide it wasnt such a good idea and drop it.

and lets not turn this into a debate thread. itll only get ugly fast.
newmann
9/1/2011 12:54pm
mxrose3 wrote:
and if Gottlieb Daimler would have patented the motorcycle back in 1885 we'd probably all still be riding dirt bikes with 4 inches of dual shock...
and if Gottlieb Daimler would have patented the motorcycle back in 1885 we'd probably all still be riding dirt bikes with 4 inches of dual shock suspension. The Leatt is an unfinished product and still behind where it should be. I'm just saying this is an area of the sport that needs advancing, and it needs it quick. All this shit is just slowing it down.
This whole sport is so behind the times it isn't funny. Helmet mfg's. are afraid to change helmet design when test standards resemble dropping a bowling ball from ten feet up. Chest protector? Whoops, no such thing because someone might get sued. Better to not try and improve anything and just refer to it as a "roost protector" from 1979 forward. Leatt stepped up, Alpinestars didn't. Leatt has made design changes from what I've read here and probably will continue to make changes as their research warrants. A-Stars.....research? Someone please throw all of their research up here for us to digest. Probably would include lots of Leatt photos.LOL
9/1/2011 12:56pm
mxrose3 wrote:
and if Gottlieb Daimler would have patented the motorcycle back in 1885 we'd probably all still be riding dirt bikes with 4 inches of dual shock...
newmann wrote:
This whole sport is so behind the times it isn't funny. Helmet mfg's. are afraid to change helmet design when test standards resemble dropping a bowling...
This whole sport is so behind the times it isn't funny. Helmet mfg's. are afraid to change helmet design when test standards resemble dropping a bowling ball from ten feet up. Chest protector? Whoops, no such thing because someone might get sued. Better to not try and improve anything and just refer to it as a "roost protector" from 1979 forward. Leatt stepped up, Alpinestars didn't. Leatt has made design changes from what I've read here and probably will continue to make changes as their research warrants. A-Stars.....research? Someone please throw all of their research up here for us to digest. Probably would include lots of Leatt photos.LOL
sorry newmann, but thats about all leatt has to show is a photo...

Post a reply to: Leatt cease & desist vs A-Stars?

The Latest