Leatt X vs Leatt Z vs EVS Sport knee braces

Related:
Create New Tag

2/11/2019 8:56 PM

These are Mediums. They don't come clean over the sides of my knees- the hinge points of the brace seem like they're in front of the hinge point of my knee. I think I need Large. Am I correct, or does this fit look? Photo
Photo

|

2019 KTM 150 SX
2015 Yamaha YZ 250

2/11/2019 9:16 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/11/2019 9:19 PM

This is the biggest problem I've had with most of the new knee braces, the pod k8, leatt and worst of all the asterisk just seem to sit on the front of my legs, doesn't matter what size. I ended up with the mobius because it actually fits and hinges with my knee. I also found that with braces that fit like this it is really easy to hyper extend the knee since the only thing holding onto the leg is the Velcro straps. I really dislike these types of static patella cups. I feel like that is a crucial part of the brace that should be touching the knee in order for it to stay put.

|

2/11/2019 9:23 PM

I run the EVS Axis Pro, and they fit very good. The brace in your picture looks to be small. The hinge on the brace must match up with your knee's hinging point. If not you are just asking for issues.

|

2/12/2019 7:04 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'm taking advantage of MotoSport's 1st Exchange and swapping them for Large. If I still don't like the fit, then I'll start looking at another brand. The EVS Axis Sport were at the top of my list and I might just go ahead and order a set from RockyMountainATV to compare with the Leatt. We'll see.

Answered my question about fit, though. Thanks!

I've got a nice sore knee thanks to a high side off the KX125. I was trying to pass a guy and put the rear wheel over a little berm, then high sided off the track to the hard pack. Flying thru the air, I thought, "I'm gonna blow my knee!!!", so I kept it tucked under and rolled. My butt hurt a little bit but my knee felt good. Mon, Tues, Weds, Thurs, all good.... and then Friday, it swelled up like a balloon and became immovable. Friday was Pain Day, Saturday wasn't much better. Sunday and Monday were better- swelling went down and it started moving again. Anyway... thus, the knee braces. I know I need 'em but after writing a check for that '18 KTM 150 XC-W, I also need money. smile DirtBikes R Xpensive.

|

2019 KTM 150 SX
2015 Yamaha YZ 250

2/12/2019 9:10 PM

Let us know how the large one's fit.

|

2/13/2019 7:27 AM

TE333 wrote:

Will do. I had my 15 year old try on the Mediums and they fit _obviously_ better around the knee. I have a little bone spur on the outside of my knee and the braces hung up there... tried them w/out any pads at all and they sat better. So, Large are on the way, thanks to Motosport's exchange policy.

|

2019 KTM 150 SX
2015 Yamaha YZ 250

2/13/2019 8:44 AM

50dippin wrote:

This is the biggest problem I've had with most of the new knee braces, the pod k8, leatt and worst of all the asterisk just seem to sit on the front of my legs, doesn't matter what size. I ended up with the mobius because it actually fits and hinges with my knee. I also found that with braces that fit like this it is really easy to hyper extend the knee since the only thing holding onto the leg is the Velcro straps. I really dislike these types of static patella cups. I feel like that is a crucial part of the brace that should be touching the knee in order for it to stay put.

can adjust the hyper extension on these i believe

|

2/13/2019 8:46 AM

TE333 wrote:

HighPlainsSquid wrote:

Will do. I had my 15 year old try on the Mediums and they fit _obviously_ better around the knee. I have a little bone spur on the outside of my knee and the braces hung up there... tried them w/out any pads at all and they sat better. So, Large are on the way, thanks to Motosport's exchange policy.

Ive worn mediums in other braces, and have recently gotten a set of x frames but I went up a size. I love mine. Wore pods previously.

The knee brace pant is also a great addition. Folds back up over the knee brace and moto pants slide right on and dont loosen the velcro. Asterisk used to make a pant similar. Will never ride without these either.

PS These are considered a medical device by the FDA. You might be able to run the number through your insurance and be reimbursed. Talk to your doc about the bone spur he might right a script.
|

2/13/2019 9:01 AM

50dippin wrote:

hotlasagna wrote:

can adjust the hyper extension on these i believe

The hyper extension stops on the asterisk are a joke. The hinge is made of thin plastic and can easily be hyper extended by hand, or just by straitening my leg. Maybe the brace just doesn't fit me right, obviously, but the entire brace lifts off my knee when I straighten my leg, no matter how tight I make the straps. This happened with a medium large and XL, and none of the sizes matched up with the hinge point on my knee.

|

2/13/2019 9:29 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/13/2019 9:30 AM

TE333 wrote:

HighPlainsSquid wrote:

hotlasagna wrote:
Ive worn mediums in other braces, and have recently gotten a set of x frames but I went up a size. I love mine. Wore pods previously.

The knee brace pant is also a great addition. Folds back up over the knee brace and moto pants slide right on and dont loosen the velcro. Asterisk used to make a pant similar. Will never ride without these either.

PS These are considered a medical device by the FDA. You might be able to run the number through your insurance and be reimbursed. Talk to your doc about the bone spur he might right a script.

I had the same issues with my pants, brace hanging up on everything while putting the pants on..... In the pits, falling out of my chair just trying to get my pants on. Lol. I ordered some of the knee brace socks, the kind that only cover the knee. Odered a size bigger then my normal leg size and put those over the knee brace. Pants slide right on now. No more high siding my chair in the pits. Lol.

|

2/20/2019 5:48 PM

Update!!!!

I exchanged the Medium X-frame for a Large. They fit better, but still the same "sitting too high" feel. So, I ordered a pair of EVS Axis Sport and the new Leatt Z-frame to test fit.
Here's the Large Leatt X-frame compared to the Axis Sport. As you can see, the Leatt knee-cup really sits up high. The Axis is much more "on my knee" and _feels_ better:

Photo
Photo
Photo

Next up is the Leatt Z-force. I really like this brace, fit-wise. It snugs right down on my knee and is clean and trim. The inside will bite your bare knee a little, but I wear compression knee sleeves and with those on, the Z-force are super comfortable. I'm sure the Z-force doesn't have quite the protection level of the others, but it IS medically certified and it's WAY better than what I was wearing (compression sleeves and knee pads). I will say, though, that I'm still strongly considering the EVS Axis Sports... they're very comfortable, have better straps, and are obviously a good sturdy brace. $200 more sturdy, though? I dunno. That's for you to decide. They are MUCH trimmer than the Leatt X-frame, and they fit my legs much better. The X-frame are a full 1.5" longer on each end and I'm a short 5' 6" dude, so the EVS feel much less like a full-body cast. The Z-force beat 'em both for comfort, though. So, I think I'm gonna fly with them.

Photo
Photo

|

2019 KTM 150 SX
2015 Yamaha YZ 250

2/20/2019 7:21 PM

Discovered one more thing.... when I drop to my knees on the carpet, the Leatt has some hard ridges that really press into my shin. My kneecap almost feels unsupported then, even with my padded compression sleeves. The EVS, by contrast, is SUPER comfortable. I fell like I could do roofing in them. So... the pendulum is swinging toward EVS! Tomorrow... try 'em on with my riding pants and boots.

|

2019 KTM 150 SX
2015 Yamaha YZ 250