Leatt Brace

MXgirl517
Edited Date/Time 4/29/2012 12:41pm
This may be a controversial topic, but I have noticed lately that a good number of top pros do not wear a Leatt Brace or any type of neck brace. It baffles me that these riders would chose to not wear one. I am not trying to stir up an argument, just curious as to the logic behind it.

For those of you who chose to not wear one, I am curious as to why?

My brother and I never ride without one since we got ours, just as you would never ride without a helmet. Even our friends who are beginner riders wear neck braces.

I've also heard people claim that riders have still gotten hurt wearing them. Other than collarbone breaks, does anyone know the extent of those riders' injuries compared to those riders who weren't wearing a neck brace?

Thanks guys! Smile
|
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2364th
9/1/2009 8:28pm
MXgirl517 wrote:
This may be a controversial topic, but I have noticed lately that a good number of top pros do not wear a Leatt Brace or any...
This may be a controversial topic, but I have noticed lately that a good number of top pros do not wear a Leatt Brace or any type of neck brace. It baffles me that these riders would chose to not wear one. I am not trying to stir up an argument, just curious as to the logic behind it.

My brother and I never ride without one since we got ours, just as you would never ride without a helmet. Even our friends who are beginner riders wear neck braces.

I've also heard people claim that riders have still gotten hurt wearing them. Other than collarbone breaks, does anyone know the extent of those riders' injuries compared to those riders who weren't wearing a neck brace?

Thanks guys! Smile
I can only speak for myself, but I will not ride without mine.

Some people probably feel like there is not enough proof that it prevents a major injury or they are not comfortable wearing one.
trick121
9/1/2009 8:30pm
same reason why some choose not to wear chest protectors
Nerd
9/1/2009 8:34pm
MXgirl517 wrote:
This may be a controversial topic, but I have noticed lately that a good number of top pros do not wear a Leatt Brace or any...

Thanks guys! Smile
I wish there was data, but there isn't. I wish we knew how many injuries, and what kinds, with and without the braces. But we don't.

I have one, and for me, it's simply a matter of comfort why I haven't worn it much yet.
jemcee
9/1/2009 8:36pm
yeah it baffles me why they don't! i know one would've saved me

I've said it a hundred times i wasn't gonna say it again but the the looks of the person that started the thread compelled me to get involved

The Shop

Wandell
9/1/2009 8:39pm
I have three friends that stopped wearing them. Two said they couldn't get comfortable in them and felt they would be better off by being able to tuck and roll which the Leatt prevents..
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
9/1/2009 8:39pm
i am with Nerd on this one, i have not seen the data that proves to me that one will reduce the chance of injury,

i choose not to wear one,
jemcee
9/1/2009 8:40pm
Nerd wrote:
I wish there was data, but there isn't. I wish we knew how many injuries, and what kinds, with and without the braces. But we don't...
I wish there was data, but there isn't. I wish we knew how many injuries, and what kinds, with and without the braces. But we don't.

I have one, and for me, it's simply a matter of comfort why I haven't worn it much yet.
hey nerd how comfortable do you think my chair is?

i don't wanna call you out but it comes from love... honest
Bronson905
Fantasy
503rd
9/1/2009 8:41pm
I won't ride without mine, period. I have also been noticing lately that pros that used to wear neck braces, suddenly dont anymore. (PJ Larsen, Kyle Cunningham, Josh Grant, etc.)
jemcee
9/1/2009 8:44pm
Wandell wrote:
I have three friends that stopped wearing them. Two said they couldn't get comfortable in them and felt they would be better off by being able...
I have three friends that stopped wearing them. Two said they couldn't get comfortable in them and felt they would be better off by being able to tuck and roll which the Leatt prevents..
tuck and roll?

do you think i thought, when crashing should i tuck and roll? hmmm nah i think i'll take lawn dart...
sometimes you don't have the time

again i'm sure i'd be leading a very different life if i was wearing one
WORCSRacer
9/1/2009 8:46pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 1:55am
scott_nz wrote:
i am with Nerd on this one, i have not seen the data that proves to me that one will reduce the chance of injury, i...
i am with Nerd on this one, i have not seen the data that proves to me that one will reduce the chance of injury,

You and nerd apparently haven't reviewed the testing Leatt and BMW have done.

You are free to choose to wear one or choose not to however, to say there isn't data to support the use of the Leatt Brace is preposterous.
Wandell
9/1/2009 8:47pm
Just passing on info brother. I make my son wear his EVS neck brace on every ride and am considering getting one myself. MX/riding is dangerous. No such thing as too much protection.
Sonny
9/1/2009 8:50pm Edited Date/Time 9/1/2009 8:52pm
I really don't need a report to acknowledge the truth. This thing works. Saved my son from a nasty pilediving jump off, last year. He escaped with a broken collar bone and a concussion. RV could give a similar story as well. The names you mentioned will continue to buck the product due to it's lack of support to their livelihood. When one of them is in a chair, it'll go back on. Sad but true. So keep it on girl. Your chances are better with it on.
MXgirl517
9/1/2009 9:02pm
scott_nz wrote:
i am with Nerd on this one, i have not seen the data that proves to me that one will reduce the chance of injury, i...

WORCSRacer wrote:
You and nerd apparently haven't reviewed the testing Leatt and BMW have done. You are free to choose to wear one or choose not to however...

You are free to choose to wear one or choose not to however, to say there isn't data to support the use of the Leatt Brace is preposterous.
scott- Until this weekend, I hadn't paid this close attention to who had and hadn't been wearing them, so I didn't noticed that those guys had stopped. That's interesting.

WORCS- thanks for making the point that I was about to make!
Nerd
9/1/2009 9:06pm
Nerd wrote:
I wish there was data, but there isn't. I wish we knew how many injuries, and what kinds, with and without the braces. But we don't...

jemcee wrote:
hey nerd how comfortable do you think my chair is?

i don't wanna call you out but it comes from love... honest
I appreciate your appeal to emotion, but you have to understand that I don't work like that.
Motodrew295
9/1/2009 9:10pm
It saved me with out a doubt the first weekend I raced with it. endoed in some whoops at an arenacross and pile drove at the end of the section into a berm. I was knocked out for a bit and collapsed a lung. It broke it in several places and I had very sore shoulders and back but I feel it did it's job.

Just sunday I was racing and slid out up the face of a jump and went head first into a ledge and broke some ribs and rung my bell pretty good but again I feel it could have been much worse since right where the leatte rests is sore showing me that it transferred energy from my neck and put the load on my shoulders. Fantastic device and I am glad I didn't have to see the results of these crashes without one.

I also like to ride my road bike in Idaho since there are no helmet laws. go figure.
jemcee
9/1/2009 9:11pm
Nerd wrote:
I appreciate your appeal to emotion, but you have to understand that I don't work like that.
why so many walls steve?

let us in
Nerd
9/1/2009 9:14pm
scott_nz wrote:

WORCSRacer wrote:
You and nerd apparently haven't reviewed the testing Leatt and BMW have done. You are free to choose to wear one or choose not to however...

Nerd
9/1/2009 9:16pm
Nerd wrote:
jemcee wrote:
why so many walls steve?

let us in
My walls can be broken down by data. That's how I work.

Data.

And the thing is, when a company HAS data that's beneficial to them, they normally yell it from the highest mountain. So either they aren't gathering the data in the first place (which may be legitimately because they can't gather it or something) or they aren't releasing it for a reason.

It's probably the first reason, but regardless, I want data.
jemcee
9/1/2009 9:18pm
I put one on the other day and it stopped the movement that broke my neck

I landed directly on top of my head which forced my chin into my chest so severly my neck was cut from the chin strap of my helmet
the leatt would stop that no doubt
JB 19
9/1/2009 9:18pm
Interesting that some many people refuse to wear one because "there is no data." So do you think the brace could cause paralysis ? Or do you not want to spend the money? Or just go against the grain?

I mean seriously, look how barbaric the data is on helemts.....the snell test and DOT test are a joke.....but you wear one right?
MXgirl517
9/1/2009 9:23pm
It shows the concept. I know it doesn't "lay out an actual, real-world set of data surrounding injuries, severity".. In my original post, I was asking for that kind of data.. but all we have are examples of crashes.. so as for me, I'm going to take their word for it, along with the actual testing, and wear one.
Nerd
9/1/2009 9:23pm
JB 19 wrote:
Interesting that some many people refuse to wear one because "there is no data." So do you think the brace could cause paralysis ? Or do...
Interesting that some many people refuse to wear one because "there is no data." So do you think the brace could cause paralysis ? Or do you not want to spend the money? Or just go against the grain?

I mean seriously, look how barbaric the data is on helemts.....the snell test and DOT test are a joke.....but you wear one right?
Anything can cause paralysis if you hit right. And like I said, I have one.

I wear helmets because the ground is harder than my face. That's not the same as this.

A few years ago, when RC's shock spring broke and he endoed in the whoops at St. Louis, he had a bruise on his sternum from the facemask of his helmet. But he was fine otherwise.

So what happens if he's wearing a brace? Does it break his collarbone? Does it do nothing? How can we quantify this?

With data. Data that we don't have.
Nerd
9/1/2009 9:26pm
MXgirl517 wrote:
It shows the concept. I know it doesn't "lay out an actual, real-world set of data surrounding injuries, severity".. In my original post, I was asking...
It shows the concept. I know it doesn't "lay out an actual, real-world set of data surrounding injuries, severity".. In my original post, I was asking for that kind of data.. but all we have are examples of crashes.. so as for me, I'm going to take their word for it, along with the actual testing, and wear one.
I don't take anyone's word for anything in regard to things that could be, and should be, quantified.

Look at seatbelts, for example. We know that seatbelts save lives because of the DATA. Same with airbags. We can see a number of crashes, and the difference in deaths between those with and without seatbelts and those with and without airbags.

We should have that data for this, too.
mxjordy127
9/1/2009 9:29pm
I don't wear one because it is so uncomfortable i can't get my mind off of it
jemcee
9/1/2009 9:31pm
If i was ridin now i'd DEFINATELY wear one
huck
9/1/2009 9:32pm
Those that think that there is "no data" to show that it doesn't work...I hope you never have to think...."what if...."

"tuck and roll"...are you f-ing serious? Do you honestly think that you can control your neck enough in a crash to be able to "tuck and roll"?

Nerd won't wear one because he thinks it's a big conspiracy and "he's above" that kind of thinking. He's too smart for that! Like I said, I hope he never looks back and thinks, "what if I had it on...".

jemcee
9/1/2009 9:38pm
that's the vibe i get from those that won't wear one

like its this big conspiracy it's pretty weird

what is it that leatt wants to rip everyone off?
worcsracer808
9/1/2009 9:41pm
scott_nz wrote:

WORCSRacer wrote:

Nerd wrote:
I agree it doesn't really show much of anything, why not take all the neck protection available and do a series of tests to compare, i mean it's obvious you can't move your head as much while wearing a Leatt and that's about all that study shows. Also to compare this to the helmet thing, that's just common sense because your head isn't designed to be impacted into the ground so making something to protect it against impacts is obvious, but the human neck is able move around and bend and it's hard to say exactly where a person's neck should be within what range cause people are different I imagine what you could do to one person's neck would break another persons neck, there's a grey area with the braces that you don't have with helmets. I imagine pros don't wear them because they don't like them it's pretty simple, and it's not just a sponsor issue, you know if it was something they believed in they could damn well afford it.

Post a reply to: Leatt Brace

The Latest