Least safe helmets?

Related:
Create New Tag

3/27/2020 2:33 PM

I just listened to the Whiskey Throttle Show with Jessy Nelson and they were talking about helmet safety. they mentioned that if you asked someone the 3 brands they thought were the safest, they would probably pick the 3 worst. If someone asked me I would say 6D, Fly, and Bell?? Maybe Fox? Are those brands not safe? Who should I stay away from when looking for a new helmet??

|

3/27/2020 2:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/27/2020 2:42 PM

If it doesn't cost over $200 for the current year helmet, I would say this is a good benchmark. Then I would look at making sure it has the latest technology. I love my FOX v3 Solids. The visor magnet works great as advertised. The venting it the best I've ever owned, no more sweat beads.

https://www.foxracing.com/v3-solids-helmet/22177.html?dwvar_22177_color=255&dwvar_22177_size=XL&cgid=moto-mens-helmets-v3#start=2

|

3/27/2020 2:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/27/2020 2:39 PM

I generally stick to companies that have a main focus of helmets. Helmets are not the place to be cheap.

|

3/27/2020 2:45 PM

Agreed....bad fit...not good.

...and then there's this one.

Photo

|

(The preceding post by Indian Dunes 4ever is heavily laced with Cognitive Bias)


3/27/2020 2:54 PM

Why cant we ever get a full list of helemts and how they rank? This subject kind of pisses me off because its always a we know but we cant tell the general public.. well the general public needs to be able to make the choice safest for them... Recently i bought a Ls2 helmet because it was within my budget and i saw a youtube video of a dude who slammed into a tree with one and was ok.

|

"Life is Too Short To Last Long"

3/27/2020 3:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/27/2020 8:14 PM

About those $200 helmets...

All the Tech and Protection: $150 on sale (last season’s graphics) & $260 for current graphics.
Photo

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

3/27/2020 3:38 PM

Motodave15 wrote:

Why cant we ever get a full list of helemts and how they rank? This subject kind of pisses me off because its always a we know but we cant tell the general public.. well the general public needs to be able to make the choice safest for them... Recently i bought a Ls2 helmet because it was within my budget and i saw a youtube video of a dude who slammed into a tree with one and was ok.

There are likely examples of people being okay and people not being okay with every brand and level of helmet.

|

3/27/2020 3:44 PM

Motodave15 wrote:

Why cant we ever get a full list of helemts and how they rank? This subject kind of pisses me off because its always a we know but we cant tell the general public.. well the general public needs to be able to make the choice safest for them... Recently i bought a Ls2 helmet because it was within my budget and i saw a youtube video of a dude who slammed into a tree with one and was ok.

Nobody can know for sure without a huge pile of dead bodies somewhere (actual human testing)...

|

www.bettercallsaul.com
Die Antwoord

3/27/2020 4:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/27/2020 4:44 PM

For moto: Anything with a Snell certification.

No reason to design MX helmets for multiple hits to the same location (see anvil testing and impact velocity table protocols pgs. 29-32 in the Snell 2020 update linked below); As most should know, our lids are one big impact and done. Snell has lessened the second impact measurements every iteration from 2010/2015/and now 2020 versions, but it's still out of line for moto use, in my opinion...


https://www.smf.org/standards/m/2020/M2020_Final.pdf



For safest, I'd stick with 6D, Fly Formula, or Bell Moto9 Flex (which is the only one of these three that has Snell 2015 certification, surprisingly).

|

3/27/2020 5:01 PM

Well if they are so sure about those three helmets not being safe, then name them. Otherwise don’t say anything lol.

|

3/27/2020 5:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/27/2020 5:55 PM

Just a guess, but i'd say if you asked 10 people to name the top 3 safest, you'd get Shoei, Arai and 6D at the top of the list...maybe Bell Moto 9 Flex in there too..... again, just a guess..

|

3/27/2020 5:27 PM

crc245 wrote:

For moto: Anything with a Snell certification.

No reason to design MX helmets for multiple hits to the same location (see anvil testing and impact velocity table protocols pgs. 29-32 in the Snell 2020 update linked below); As most should know, our lids are one big impact and done. Snell has lessened the second impact measurements every iteration from 2010/2015/and now 2020 versions, but it's still out of line for moto use, in my opinion...


https://www.smf.org/standards/m/2020/M2020_Final.pdf



For safest, I'd stick with 6D, Fly Formula, or Bell Moto9 Flex (which is the only one of these three that has Snell 2015 certification, surprisingly).

Least safe helmet: "Anything with a Snell certification."
Safest: "has Snell 2015 certification"

How does a helmet's ability to limit brain acceleration to 275 G during an impact at 17 mph make it not safe?

|

3/27/2020 5:27 PM

One of the underlying facts is that each person’s tolerance for head impacts is different same as neck injuries. Yes buy to protect but don’t expect anything to stop all consequences of hitting your head.
I say anything with MIPS is a good way to look and yes several brands have it. Impact design is important but cannot stop all injuries. Just by wise. I prefer the ECE ratings over the others but that’s my choice. Your head is your choice and fit is important

|

3/27/2020 5:39 PM

I think this is near the bottom of the list

Photo

|

Current rides: 2016 KTM 250SXF, 2017 KTM 350SXF

3/27/2020 5:51 PM

TeamGreen wrote:

About those $200 helmets...

All the Tech and Protection: $150 on sale (last season’s graphics) & $260 for current graphics.
Photo

Replacing my Bell with a TLD. Some day.. lol 3 or 4 different options are already in my cart. I just can't decide on the colourway.

|

3/27/2020 5:55 PM

I remember hearing on the pulp show around the fly formula release that one of the big brands was actually years behind in technology. I have a feeling it was arai or shoei by memory.

I've just moved from a bell to a 6D, the 6d isn't as comfy as the bell. But feels lighter.

|

There are two kinds of people against dirt bikes, those who never tried and those who weren't good at them.

3/27/2020 6:00 PM

TeamGreen wrote:

About those $200 helmets...

All the Tech and Protection: $150 on sale (last season’s graphics) & $260 for current graphics.
Photo

CivBars wrote:

Replacing my Bell with a TLD. Some day.. lol 3 or 4 different options are already in my cart. I just can't decide on the colourway.

Check the site...they're running a 40% off sale and helmets like the one I posted, and in differnent colorwyas, are a deal at $150. Also, you can do the 4 payment thing for no charge.

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

3/27/2020 7:50 PM

I toured the Snell testing facility in Sacramento maybe 15 years ago, I talked to the main test guy off the record and although he couldn't give me any brands he did say that one of the brands that people thought was one of the best is actually not even close and one of the lower priced off brands has some of the best. I took that as either Arai or Shoei did not rate that high, and HJC which was just coming up was the off brand. I think helmets, like neck braces are kind of a faith thing. The helmets with the additional layer like the 6D or Fly systems seem to be next level.

|

3/27/2020 8:21 PM

Aussie_power_sports wrote:

I remember hearing on the pulp show around the fly formula release that one of the big brands was actually years behind in technology. I have a feeling it was arai or shoei by memory.

I've just moved from a bell to a 6D, the 6d isn't as comfy as the bell. But feels lighter.

yup, heard the same.. but it wasn't on pulp. it was said that the Arai had the least updates of any modern helmet... and that it was way behind technology wise... that was last year, i believe, or maybe 2018

|

3/27/2020 8:34 PM

I’ve seen 3 friends get knocked out in tld Helmets of various price range during pretty mild crashes.

I knocked myself out in the last shoei but it was a pretty catastrophic deal hitting false neutral on a jump. Replaced it with the newer shoei evo.

If you have a ten dollar head buy a ten dollar helmet. I personally don’t skimp when it comes to helmets and boots. I’d say shoei, bell, or 6D are your best bet for safety but I’m no rocket appliantist

|

3/27/2020 8:36 PM

SLAPAHO wrote:

yup, heard the same.. but it wasn't on pulp. it was said that the Arai had the least updates of any modern helmet... and that it was way behind technology wise... that was last year, i believe, or maybe 2018

There is only one brand of helmet premium helmet left without a modern version of impact displacement tech and that is Arai. If you go onto their website they claim that the design of their shell is the form of displacement as the helmet is extremely round and in a sense skips across the ground rather than digging in causing more damage.

|

Go Hawks!

3/27/2020 9:09 PM

WheelieNelson wrote:

I’ve seen 3 friends get knocked out in tld Helmets of various price range during pretty mild crashes.

I knocked myself out in the last shoei but it was a pretty catastrophic deal hitting false neutral on a jump. Replaced it with the newer shoei evo.

If you have a ten dollar head buy a ten dollar helmet. I personally don’t skimp when it comes to helmets and boots. I’d say shoei, bell, or 6D are your best bet for safety but I’m no rocket appliantist

I've seen mt brother get knocked out and piss his pants. My friend need facial reconstructive surgery. And I have been lucky enough to never bust up my helmet enough to ever NEED to replace it. All In different brands. I've worn everything from HJC to Shoei to Bell to M2R. Is it a coincidence that they were wearing TLD or is TLD shit? Maybe all your friends have fragile heads?

|

3/27/2020 10:10 PM

WheelieNelson wrote:

I’ve seen 3 friends get knocked out in tld Helmets of various price range during pretty mild crashes.

I knocked myself out in the last shoei but it was a pretty catastrophic deal hitting false neutral on a jump. Replaced it with the newer shoei evo.

If you have a ten dollar head buy a ten dollar helmet. I personally don’t skimp when it comes to helmets and boots. I’d say shoei, bell, or 6D are your best bet for safety but I’m no rocket appliantist

CivBars wrote:

I've seen mt brother get knocked out and piss his pants. My friend need facial reconstructive surgery. And I have been lucky enough to never bust up my helmet enough to ever NEED to replace it. All In different brands. I've worn everything from HJC to Shoei to Bell to M2R. Is it a coincidence that they were wearing TLD or is TLD shit? Maybe all your friends have fragile heads?

buy the tld bro “it’s already in your cart” seems like your mind is made up.

No helmet is 100% safe but if you honestly think they are all equal you might as well order the cheapest you can find buddy lmao

|

3/27/2020 10:19 PM

I once flew to Mexico for a moto vacation and had a brand new Bell Moto 9 with me as a carry on but security wouldn’t let me board the plane with it so I had to ask a random bag boy to hold the helmet until I returned. It was either that or throw it away lol.

Anyway, when I got to Mexico, I was forced to use an old Shift helmet. It was the only helmet that fit correctly. It had some hideous graphics and I was super worried about my safety since I’ve only worn high end helmets in the past.

I figured that I would be fine since we were only doing technical single track through the jungle. Well, to my surprise, I put that helmet to the test. I ended fishtailing really bad on a cobble stone road and cartwheeled into a ditch and landed straight on my head. Completely destroyed a brand new KTM 350 but now doubt that cheap helmet saved my butt.

Moral of the story, a proper fitting helmet will help prevent major injury. Always wear a helmet!

Also, the bag boy ended up keeping my Bell Moto 9 safe throughout my trip so I gave him $50 bucks for holding onto it.

|

Vital Mx is not safe...

3/27/2020 10:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/27/2020 10:33 PM

I like Ping and his show but he loves to drop the “I’ve seen the tests and you’d be surprised at which companies perform the worst.” The fact he’s done it multiple times now is annoying. Either name them or quit bringing it up because you’re only doing everyone a disservice by making statements like that.

Why is he afraid to say I saw a test and what they found is X? He didn’t conduct the test, he’s just passing in the information. If he doesn’t want to share some private test info then so be it but quit referencing it and saying “I know the answers and you are probably wrong.” Lame.

|

3/27/2020 10:35 PM

WheelieNelson wrote:

buy the tld bro “it’s already in your cart” seems like your mind is made up.

No helmet is 100% safe but if you honestly think they are all equal you might as well order the cheapest you can find buddy lmao

Not sure why you're so upset. Notice I have a youth size in there too as my boy has just about outgrown his current helmet and I thought it'd be cute to match.

Who said they are all equal? Maybe you hit your head too hard bud.

Photo

|

3/27/2020 10:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/27/2020 10:43 PM

Maybe I’m dumb, but my choice is Leatt for a helmet. Like others, I wish the data these companies have come up with was more transparent so we, the buyers, could actually make educated decisions on which helmet to buy instead of just taking the word of a rep, who will be very biased.

|

3/27/2020 11:09 PM

CivBars wrote:

I've seen mt brother get knocked out and piss his pants. My friend need facial reconstructive surgery. And I have been lucky enough to never bust up my helmet enough to ever NEED to replace it. All In different brands. I've worn everything from HJC to Shoei to Bell to M2R. Is it a coincidence that they were wearing TLD or is TLD shit? Maybe all your friends have fragile heads?

WheelieNelson wrote:

buy the tld bro “it’s already in your cart” seems like your mind is made up.

No helmet is 100% safe but if you honestly think they are all equal you might as well order the cheapest you can find buddy lmao

CivBars wrote:

Not sure why you're so upset. Notice I have a youth size in there too as my boy has just about outgrown his current helmet and I thought it'd be cute to match.

Who said they are all equal? Maybe you hit your head too hard bud.

Photo

Did you even read your original reply to me.

“Maybe your friends have fragile heads” after stating what I’ve seen in tld’s

Then you said you’ve worn everything from m2r to shoei and been fine but have seen others break so my observation must be a coincidence.

Your two replies to me contradict each other the only thing I’m “upset” about is that I feel the need to waste the time to clarify this.

I don’t care what helmet you by yourself. Invest in something quality for your kid though, don’t be cheap.

|

3/27/2020 11:18 PM

WheelieNelson wrote:

Did you even read your original reply to me.

“Maybe your friends have fragile heads” after stating what I’ve seen in tld’s

Then you said you’ve worn everything from m2r to shoei and been fine but have seen others break so my observation must be a coincidence.

Your two replies to me contradict each other the only thing I’m “upset” about is that I feel the need to waste the time to clarify this.

I don’t care what helmet you by yourself. Invest in something quality for your kid though, don’t be cheap.

lol You. laughing

|

3/27/2020 11:28 PM

aeffertz wrote:

I like Ping and his show but he loves to drop the “I’ve seen the tests and you’d be surprised at which companies perform the worst.” The fact he’s done it multiple times now is annoying. Either name them or quit bringing it up because you’re only doing everyone a disservice by making statements like that.

Why is he afraid to say I saw a test and what they found is X? He didn’t conduct the test, he’s just passing in the information. If he doesn’t want to share some private test info then so be it but quit referencing it and saying “I know the answers and you are probably wrong.” Lame.

here here

|