Lawrence on Everts

DeStouwer
2/7/2018 12:06am
Not suprised, but in a Belgian documentary a few years ago he swore he never would be that hard to Liam as Harry was to him. Guess that didn't count for his own riders.
WCRider
Fantasy
2301st
2/7/2018 12:57am
I have one personal story with Harry, one day, I asked him for an autograph, he told me no lol

You knows guys harry riding with a clubfoot ?
themrtoad
2/7/2018 1:22am
I did an interview with SE when he was still racing. It focused entirely on how he was raised and what he had to sacrifice to become a succesful rider. His father was tough on him when he was young, when he grew older he had a very good discipline by himself. I think he was very nice, honest and open to quite personal questions. I became an even bigger fan after it.

I can read between the lines that he failed to motivate his riders sometimes, and perhaps didn't communicate in the right way with Japan. I think he was quite stressed to succed/avoid failure. It was a new challenge for him and one he couldn't win by himself. He tried to get the same passion and drive from his riders/mechanics/Suzuki HQ that he felt that he put in as a racer. Just my 10c
Uncle Tony
2/7/2018 4:18am
WCRider wrote:
I have one personal story with Harry, one day, I asked him for an autograph, he told me no lol You knows guys harry riding with...
I have one personal story with Harry, one day, I asked him for an autograph, he told me no lol

You knows guys harry riding with a clubfoot ?
I thought he had polio?

The Shop

Fearo
2/7/2018 5:21am Edited Date/Time 2/7/2018 5:21am
I like Livia Lancelot, I think she's a great ambassador for Women's motocross, but let's be real here for a second.
In no way, shape or form should she ever be compared to Stefan Everts, be it team managing capabilities or anything else.

Guys like Everts beat to their own drum. I have no doubt he wasn't the best team manager, and I bet he has realized most of the mistakes he's made trying to make riders fit into his mold.

However, I do cringe everything I read something like Lawrence not wanting to listen to Everts' training methods. If Stefan fucking Everts tells you that wearing a pink thong while listening to Britney Spears will make you a better rider, you god damned do so. Riders will listen to riding advice from Aldon Baker, a guy that's never swung a leg over a dirtbike but would question the methods of one of the greatest this sport has ever known and will ever know.
DeStouwer
2/7/2018 6:11am
Fearo wrote:
I like Livia Lancelot, I think she's a great ambassador for Women's motocross, but let's be real here for a second. In no way, shape or...
I like Livia Lancelot, I think she's a great ambassador for Women's motocross, but let's be real here for a second.
In no way, shape or form should she ever be compared to Stefan Everts, be it team managing capabilities or anything else.

Guys like Everts beat to their own drum. I have no doubt he wasn't the best team manager, and I bet he has realized most of the mistakes he's made trying to make riders fit into his mold.

However, I do cringe everything I read something like Lawrence not wanting to listen to Everts' training methods. If Stefan fucking Everts tells you that wearing a pink thong while listening to Britney Spears will make you a better rider, you god damned do so. Riders will listen to riding advice from Aldon Baker, a guy that's never swung a leg over a dirtbike but would question the methods of one of the greatest this sport has ever known and will ever know.
Spot on
make1go
2/7/2018 6:35am
Fearo wrote:
I like Livia Lancelot, I think she's a great ambassador for Women's motocross, but let's be real here for a second. In no way, shape or...

So youre saying 1 size fits all? And im not talking about your thong.

See as i already posted i grew up with a high level champion turned hard nosed coach as a father, obviously most guys got no idea how that is....and how that affects people as they get older.

.for reference...here when i was 1 or 2, my dad 11 time champ at a state level...
He was way tougher than me.

WCRider
Fantasy
2301st
2/7/2018 6:49am
Fearo wrote:

mccread
2/7/2018 8:34am Edited Date/Time 2/7/2018 8:40am
Quite the contrary, it would seem. It appears that the greater a manager's success as a rider the more they demand of their riders. A dang...
Quite the contrary, it would seem. It appears that the greater a manager's success as a rider the more they demand of their riders. A dang shame really.
ML512 wrote:
According to what I was told from someone with the team...Stefan really "managed" to drive a wedge between himself and the riders..plus Suzuki itself...
MXMattii wrote:
You've a good source, like usual. SE totally misjudged some of the sensitive points at Suzuki what pushed a wedge between himself and the brand. Think...
You've a good source, like usual. SE totally misjudged some of the sensitive points at Suzuki what pushed a wedge between himself and the brand. Think about things like going over their head to adjust bikes and pushing his way at some things. With the riders it is mostly the same story: My way of the highway. A little story about Kevin Strijbos

2016: First season that Stefan is Team owner at Suzuki and he's working with Kevin Strijbos. KS22 hasn't a great season, but at the first heat in Round 7 or something like that in Italy he finished third. Stefan comes to him and starts: You can do much better if you've done this and that and ... No congratulations or anything. KS22 reacted like never before, put some xbombs in a sentence, took his pitbike and rode to his private camper to cool down.

Story about Lawrence and the Everts family. Because of Hunter Lawrence had some criticism on the training ways from Harry and Stefan. And he told them he felt drained and tiered working that way, they called him lazy and a unthankful sissy. So he had two options; man up and keep training with them or leave and find a other one. The kid left and start training in Germany with Ken Roczens dad and other German trainers.

And that are two stories that spring to mind, but there are probably even more. That Suzuki left is partly Stefan's fault. But Suzuki is thinking about leaving dirtbikes, we will know more in April when they have their yearly business meeting, so it's probably just a few things coming together.
How Stefan was with Strijbos in that instance is exactly how Harry was with Stefan, even when Stefan won a race.

Stefan probably doesn’t know any different. He said in his book at the end of his career he realised why his dad was so hard on him because he believed he could be even better, he wanted him to be the perfect rider - and that’s what he ended up being.

But not everyone might have that same mentality to get be able to get pushed like that.

Pauls Jonass is working with Harry this year by choice.
2/7/2018 10:59am
People are different. As athletes, and as trainers. You won't get the best out of every athlete by coaching and pushing everyone in the same way. I have no idea if that's the case with Everts, but it sounds like that. If your dad got the best out of you by saying you can do better, maybe you would get the best out of some rider by cheering him up saying you did great. I think a good coach will see the differences in his athletes, not just automatically push them all same way. No matter if you're the best of all, what worked for you might not work for the other.
mxjon454
2/8/2018 8:49pm
Harry was VERY hard on Stefan as a kid (source DBR interviews from back in the day). Stefan said that he could never make him happy...
Harry was VERY hard on Stefan as a kid (source DBR interviews from back in the day). Stefan said that he could never make him happy, how even if he won the race his dad would be shouting at him the pits, pointing out all his mistakes etc.
Can't argue with the results on the bike, but I don't think it was conducive to the easiest character off it. As with all management styles, it probably works for some but not for others.
kzizok wrote:
And Ward was very hard on the Beaver. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/02/06/242421/s1200_0F44DCE5_5368_4605_BB9E_69D9E1FD59B1.jpg[/img]
And Ward was very hard on the Beaver.

cmosh wrote:
So was Eddie Haskell, Wally, and ms. Cleaver
Lol, 8 mile right there.
Cortami79
2/9/2018 5:52am
If they kick you at Suzuki, they do that for a reason. If they kick you at KTM, they do that for a reason. They blamed Beier/Herlings. But look at Smets now. Him and Herlings seem to come along really well. Smets LISTENS to his riders and will give ADVICE. Everts does the opposite. But what Smets understands and Everts don’t is that not every rider works, thinks or trains the same.

Everts is/was an awesome rider. But in my eyes his is not the most amazing ambassador for the sport. Belgium has huge problems keeping tracks open and the only thing he does is letting his son ride on private tracks which no one else but a few can enter.
2/9/2018 6:08am
Cortami79 wrote:
If they kick you at Suzuki, they do that for a reason. If they kick you at KTM, they do that for a reason. They blamed...
If they kick you at Suzuki, they do that for a reason. If they kick you at KTM, they do that for a reason. They blamed Beier/Herlings. But look at Smets now. Him and Herlings seem to come along really well. Smets LISTENS to his riders and will give ADVICE. Everts does the opposite. But what Smets understands and Everts don’t is that not every rider works, thinks or trains the same.

Everts is/was an awesome rider. But in my eyes his is not the most amazing ambassador for the sport. Belgium has huge problems keeping tracks open and the only thing he does is letting his son ride on private tracks which no one else but a few can enter.
spot on
2/9/2018 6:09am
Fearo wrote:

I agree with everything you say, but that's also the problem right there. Everts was the team manager, not the trainer. You can't be Roger De Coster and Aldon Baker at the same time.
2/9/2018 1:09pm
Fearo wrote:

I agree with everything you say, but that's also the problem right there. Everts was the team manager, not the trainer. You can't be Roger De...
I agree with everything you say, but that's also the problem right there. Everts was the team manager, not the trainer. You can't be Roger De Coster and Aldon Baker at the same time.
Everts initial roll was rider development wasn’t it a roll which he was moved over from?
Belg
2/9/2018 2:04pm
trying to sell the team semi and equipment on facebook is also not the most professional way to do ..
2/9/2018 2:30pm Edited Date/Time 2/9/2018 2:31pm
Belg wrote:
trying to sell the team semi and equipment on facebook is also not the most professional way to do ..
lol ... yeah that was funny ... i did tag the stewart brothers :-)
MXMattii
2/9/2018 3:25pm
It is all a bit more complex then people over here think and write. At KTM he was the sportive manager of the MX2 Motocross team and also working on the 350 project. A very successful project if we look at the sale and results in all form of racing. With the titles AC222 got on it, but SE72 left the building and the 350 stopped being competitive, anyone? But at KTM he could change the smallest detail on the 350 design by talking to one or two Austrians. When he started to work with Suzuki he should've know that when you wanna change something those Japanese engineers will try to solve your problem with other solutions, before they say OK your solutions isn't that bad. That makes you lose time in a competitive environment. And there are tons of differences between working with European brands and Japanese. Before you know it you've hurt those Japanese feelings.

Working with JH84 started all wrong from day one. Everts and KTM weren't sure that Herlings was ready to fight against KR94 on Suzuki for the championship. So they hired Ken Roczen. That was a big blown for JH84 his ego. After KR94 his departure to the USA. Both needed to work with each other and JH84 got full back up from Pit Beirer who made things even harder. When Stefan Everts said something like: Take some time of the bike so you will be fresh for next season, Jeffrey Herlings bought himself two KTM 350 bikes at a local shop went riding and instead of giving a warning or penalty, Pit Beirer overruled Everts and said he should give the kid a break. Same happened when he had his broken shoulder and was out for Lierop. At friday Herlings comes to Lierop and says: I will race. Everts says no, your injury will become worse and you will miss the MXON and you will jeopardize your build up to next season. What does Pit Beirer he overruled Everts and fixed it that the bikes were ready for him on Saturday. This kind of things happened over and over again and happened the last time in Mexico when he should not have ridden with that broken leg, but hey Pit Beirer said it was all OK! The JH84 almost didn't made the next season!

KTM had still one year contract with Everts, saw that working like that wouldn't help anyone and gave him a little Junior team with Natzke, Prado and Mewse. And Pauls Jonass jumpt along to train with those kids and train with Harry and Stefan and became Stefan's project to try and beat JH84. But what happened? JH84 injured himself and Tim Gajser won the championship with only 25 points in front of Jonass.

To make a long story short: If you show the same intensity like them and you can handle the constant pressure about how things could be done better both Harry and Stefan can make you so much better as rider. Look at Jorge Prado who was equal to Jago Geerts but now is light years a head of him. Natzke who wasn't even EMX material became a EMX winner... But if you can't handle them, if you don't wanna do 100% what you've been told. Then you probably won't match.

Post a reply to: Lawrence on Everts

The Latest