Lawrence on Everts

keinz
Edited Date/Time 2/9/2018 3:25pm
MXlarge: As far as the team, it’s a new team, run by Garibaldi, with Livia Lancelot as the team manager. They interviewed Livia on the weekend and she said she was stressed on the weekend because there is so much to do. How is the team until now?

Lawrence: For sure, its Livia’s first year, but she is doing really good, better than Stefan I think. She is taking in criticism and stuff like that.
|
roninho
2/5/2018 11:08am
Strijbos was quite critical on Everts. I found Seewer remarkably non interested in doing something with Everts in his recent interview. We had the Herlings drama in the past and now Lawrence.

Seems like Everts isnt good in rider management.
Motofinne
2/5/2018 11:23am
Not surprising at all. Like roninho mentions, it seems like team management isn't Everts thing.
2/5/2018 11:51am
Doesn't surprise me, cant imagine from what I've heard that Everts is much of a people person/manager. His way or the highway style.

The Shop

wreckitrandy
2/5/2018 4:35pm
Doesn't surprise me, cant imagine from what I've heard that Everts is much of a people person/manager. His way or the highway style.
Seeing as how his way won ten world titles, one might think that people would be willing to try it though..
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
2/5/2018 4:41pm
Seeing as how his way won ten world titles, one might think that people would be willing to try it though..
Just because someone was a great rider doesn't automatically mean they'll be a great team manager.
Uncle Tony
2/5/2018 4:43pm
WCRider wrote:
Everts is a complex character.
With ten world titles and papa having four, he was destine to succeed, my guess is NO:was never part of his vocabulary
2/5/2018 7:15pm
Ya know, I was watching the stream of the Italian race Sunday, and there they were interviewing Livia, and I wasn't even sure why. Now I get it.

I hope Livia rocks the men's motocross world. Maybe one day Suzuki will come back, and she'll run it right.
wreckitrandy
2/5/2018 7:51pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Just because someone was a great rider doesn't automatically mean they'll be a great team manager.
Quite the contrary, it would seem. It appears that the greater a manager's success as a rider the more they demand of their riders. A dang shame really.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
2/5/2018 8:02pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Quite the contrary, it would seem. It appears that the greater a manager's success as a rider the more they demand of their riders. A dang...
Quite the contrary, it would seem. It appears that the greater a manager's success as a rider the more they demand of their riders. A dang shame really.
According to what I was told from someone with the team...Stefan really "managed" to drive a wedge between himself and the riders..plus Suzuki itself...
mxjon454
2/5/2018 9:00pm
roninho wrote:
Strijbos was quite critical on Everts. I found Seewer remarkably non interested in doing something with Everts in his recent interview. We had the Herlings drama...
Strijbos was quite critical on Everts. I found Seewer remarkably non interested in doing something with Everts in his recent interview. We had the Herlings drama in the past and now Lawrence.

What did Strijbos say?
FARANG
2/6/2018 1:30am
Huge fan of Everts.

Not sure I'd want him as my team manager though. Same as RC the great riders often have big egos that doesn't always work when you're managing different types of personalities.
Motofinne
2/6/2018 1:59am
Ya know, I was watching the stream of the Italian race Sunday, and there they were interviewing Livia, and I wasn't even sure why. [b]Now[/b] I...
Ya know, I was watching the stream of the Italian race Sunday, and there they were interviewing Livia, and I wasn't even sure why. Now I get it.

I hope Livia rocks the men's motocross world. Maybe one day Suzuki will come back, and she'll run it right.
I agree! Livia seems like a nice person, i hope it works out!
2/6/2018 3:53am
Harry was VERY hard on Stefan as a kid (source DBR interviews from back in the day). Stefan said that he could never make him happy, how even if he won the race his dad would be shouting at him the pits, pointing out all his mistakes etc.
Can't argue with the results on the bike, but I don't think it was conducive to the easiest character off it. As with all management styles, it probably works for some but not for others.
2/6/2018 5:33am
Harry was VERY hard on Stefan as a kid (source DBR interviews from back in the day). Stefan said that he could never make him happy...
Harry was VERY hard on Stefan as a kid (source DBR interviews from back in the day). Stefan said that he could never make him happy, how even if he won the race his dad would be shouting at him the pits, pointing out all his mistakes etc.
Can't argue with the results on the bike, but I don't think it was conducive to the easiest character off it. As with all management styles, it probably works for some but not for others.
He didn’t get on with his dad for a long time, remember reading in his book that his father watched him win his first title but didn’t make his presence known at the track.
Idp57
Fantasy
2607th
2/6/2018 9:34am
So Herlings was wright about him,I guess ?!
peelout
2/6/2018 9:49am
roninho wrote:
Strijbos was quite critical on Everts. I found Seewer remarkably non interested in doing something with Everts in his recent interview. We had the Herlings drama...

i'd say he "managed" things quite well at Matterley in '06

MX/SX Fan
2/6/2018 12:48pm
As a rider, your focus and drive is 100% on yourself. Your diet, your training, your setup, your sleep and your schedule. You spend your whole life focusing on yourself. Stefan was the best at that and he spent his whole life focusing on that. What a stud!

However, when it switches to managing a team, the focus must be on everyone else and making sure they succeed. Very difficult and rarely successfully accomplished. Only a few can make that transition.

As a business owner I have seen very succesful salespeople try to transition into management and it doesn't always work well either. Same concept.

2/6/2018 1:06pm
roninho wrote:

peelout wrote:
i'd say he "managed" things quite well at Matterley in '06 [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/64/photos/1056/s780_GY5L0187.jpg[/img]

Look at the people in the background, they're like "how the fuck does he do that"
philG
2/6/2018 1:20pm
He got bombed out of jobs, and eventually had to buy a team to stay in the paddock... and then, they wind it up because he cant find a sponsor.

Great rider, one of the best, lousy team manager and rider coach.
WCRider
Fantasy
2287th
2/6/2018 1:56pm
Harry was VERY hard on Stefan as a kid (source DBR interviews from back in the day). Stefan said that he could never make him happy...
This.
MXMattii
2/6/2018 2:50pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Quite the contrary, it would seem. It appears that the greater a manager's success as a rider the more they demand of their riders. A dang...
ML512 wrote:
According to what I was told from someone with the team...Stefan really "managed" to drive a wedge between himself and the riders..plus Suzuki itself...
You've a good source, like usual. SE totally misjudged some of the sensitive points at Suzuki what pushed a wedge between himself and the brand. Think about things like going over their head to adjust bikes and pushing his way at some things. With the riders it is mostly the same story: My way of the highway. A little story about Kevin Strijbos

2016: First season that Stefan is Team owner at Suzuki and he's working with Kevin Strijbos. KS22 hasn't a great season, but at the first heat in Round 7 or something like that in Italy he finished third. Stefan comes to him and starts: You can do much better if you've done this and that and ... No congratulations or anything. KS22 reacted like never before, put some xbombs in a sentence, took his pitbike and rode to his private camper to cool down.

Story about Lawrence and the Everts family. Because of Hunter Lawrence had some criticism on the training ways from Harry and Stefan. And he told them he felt drained and tiered working that way, they called him lazy and a unthankful sissy. So he had two options; man up and keep training with them or leave and find a other one. The kid left and start training in Germany with Ken Roczens dad and other German trainers.

And that are two stories that spring to mind, but there are probably even more. That Suzuki left is partly Stefan's fault. But Suzuki is thinking about leaving dirtbikes, we will know more in April when they have their yearly business meeting, so it's probably just a few things coming together.
2/6/2018 4:49pm
True 10 world titles so i’d Say 1-0
As team manager I’d say 0-1
As a rider mentor with team I’d Say 0-1
As running a team i’d Say 0-1 (Team folded)
zehn
2/6/2018 4:51pm
that literally makes no sense
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
2/6/2018 4:53pm
And Ward was very hard on the Beaver.

Idp57
Fantasy
2607th
2/6/2018 4:57pm Edited Date/Time 2/6/2018 4:58pm
True 10 world titles so i’d Say 1-0 As team manager I’d say 0-1 As a rider mentor with team I’d Say 0-1 As running a...
True 10 world titles so i’d Say 1-0
As team manager I’d say 0-1
As a rider mentor with team I’d Say 0-1
As running a team i’d Say 0-1 (Team folded)
Can’t argue with your points systemSmile
make1go
2/6/2018 5:21pm Edited Date/Time 2/6/2018 5:23pm
I grew up with a professional sportsman as a father, in swimming. And can i tell you its not a lot of fun, i was swimming senior squads (16 and over) by the time i was 12, by age 14 i hated the sport and wanted out and did not want to spend time with my father, i can still hear his whistle and his yelling at me to get my stroke correct and yes it had an impact on how i am...not that i blame him it was the norm way back then and good gawd, to this day my swimming technic is second to none.
cmosh
Fantasy
224th
2/6/2018 5:24pm
kzizok wrote:
And Ward was very hard on the Beaver. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/02/06/242421/s1200_0F44DCE5_5368_4605_BB9E_69D9E1FD59B1.jpg[/img]
And Ward was very hard on the Beaver.

So was Eddie Haskell, Wally, and ms. Cleaver
Jrewing
2/6/2018 5:36pm
roninho wrote:

peelout wrote:
i'd say he "managed" things quite well at Matterley in '06 [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/users/64/photos/1056/s780_GY5L0187.jpg[/img]

Peely 100% he's falling over! Great pic. GOAT
JB479
2/6/2018 11:25pm
MXMattii wrote:
You've a good source, like usual. SE totally misjudged some of the sensitive points at Suzuki what pushed a wedge between himself and the brand. Think...
You've a good source, like usual. SE totally misjudged some of the sensitive points at Suzuki what pushed a wedge between himself and the brand. Think about things like going over their head to adjust bikes and pushing his way at some things. With the riders it is mostly the same story: My way of the highway. A little story about Kevin Strijbos

2016: First season that Stefan is Team owner at Suzuki and he's working with Kevin Strijbos. KS22 hasn't a great season, but at the first heat in Round 7 or something like that in Italy he finished third. Stefan comes to him and starts: You can do much better if you've done this and that and ... No congratulations or anything. KS22 reacted like never before, put some xbombs in a sentence, took his pitbike and rode to his private camper to cool down.

Story about Lawrence and the Everts family. Because of Hunter Lawrence had some criticism on the training ways from Harry and Stefan. And he told them he felt drained and tiered working that way, they called him lazy and a unthankful sissy. So he had two options; man up and keep training with them or leave and find a other one. The kid left and start training in Germany with Ken Roczens dad and other German trainers.

And that are two stories that spring to mind, but there are probably even more. That Suzuki left is partly Stefan's fault. But Suzuki is thinking about leaving dirtbikes, we will know more in April when they have their yearly business meeting, so it's probably just a few things coming together.
Funny thing is Lawrence was probably one of the strongest/fittest riders last year in mx2 . He was the only rider not to fade in the USGP. He always charges to the end. Kind of makes Everts look bad if that indeed happened.

Post a reply to: Lawrence on Everts

The Latest