Latest Victim of Theft at Milestone

6/28/2011 6:42pm
Keep checking Craigs list and the local pawn shops.......................
EvanR127
6/28/2011 6:51pm
Dude I go to milestone all the time, where the hell r you parking that any1 has a chance to break in your truck????Late at night?

Also whats the deal with all the stolen Camera's!!!!!!!!!!!!!
elmo
6/28/2011 7:22pm
EvanR127 wrote:
Dude I go to milestone all the time, where the hell r you parking that any1 has a chance to break in your truck????Late at night...
Dude I go to milestone all the time, where the hell r you parking that any1 has a chance to break in your truck????Late at night?

Also whats the deal with all the stolen Camera's!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was parked next to the RC track, under the trees for some shade. Was there from about 10:30am to 3:45pm. Broad day light. Somebody had to of seen something. Milestone will not help me, the police will not take a report unless I go back to the scene of the crime, and the local pawn shops refuse to speak with me without a police report.
Factoryphoto
6/28/2011 7:58pm
elmo wrote:
Curious if anybody here was at Milestone today, or yesterday I should say (6-27-11)? I was there working with Hamblin, and it seems that I am...
Curious if anybody here was at Milestone today, or yesterday I should say (6-27-11)? I was there working with Hamblin, and it seems that I am the latest victim of theft at Milestone. Somebody broke into my truck and stole my camera bag, which has over $6,000 in photo/video equipment in it. Camera body, four lenses, five memory cards, full Senneheiser audio setup, and a few other small things. I locked my truck each time I went out, but these fuckers must of had some sort of wedge kit, because they left some scratch marks near the door handle. I've filled a claim with m auto insurance company, but feeling very helpless and sick to my stomach. Am hoping somebody on the board was there and maybe saw something. Thanks, everyone.

-Kyle Cowling
This makes me sick.. I hope you recover your gear, id give a finger away to catch them in the act. Couple years ago I used to keep my cameras and lenses in a metal box/safe under the rear seat of my Tundra. I had just got home from 7 hour trip back to Norcal from Socal and didnt park in the garage and (my fault) left my gear locked in that box. It was 3am when I got home and came out about 8am to unload and all my gear was stolen. They got into my truck somehow without breaking a window and stole everything including all my Marine Corps medals and ribbons I had forgot about in my glove compartment from moving into my new house. I was devastated to say the least, luckily (and hopefully for you) my insurance covered the camera gear. I was much more pissed about my medals and ribbons from the Marines that were not replaceable. I think they got about 18k worth of cameras and lenses,helmet cams everything.
Good luck and hope there caught and terminated.

The Shop

elmo
6/28/2011 8:24pm
I truly appreciate all the input/advice, etc. Thank you to everyone. Unfortunately, today has been even more frustrating for me. My auto insurance will not cover theft, and I do not have home/renters insurance. I called the Riverside Sheriff Department today where I was told they will not take a police report unless I am at the scene of the crime. I then called a local pawn shot at the exit before Market St for Milestone. The guy told me that he will not answer any questions about this matter, and that I am not to come into his shop to discuss this matter unless I have a police report. I don't think I've ever felt more helpless in my life. It is absolutely devastating when that camera bag and its contents is what earns me a living. No camera equipment, no work.
Factoryphoto
6/28/2011 8:36pm Edited Date/Time 6/28/2011 8:38pm
Kyle I have never met you but have seen you around. It is a bit harder for me to make it to the nationals because my daughter is young and wife works really weird days and hours. I was planning to do Millville but I might not be able to make it. Ill do Pala for sure since its in Cali. That said, I have a brand new Canon 7D w/grip and the new 70-200 Mark II lens I can loan you if you have nothing and in a bind. Im sure you shoot with a 1d or 1ds but I sold them off and been using a couple 7d's for now. Let me know.
Hoss
wawazat
6/28/2011 8:43pm
elmo wrote:
I truly appreciate all the input/advice, etc. Thank you to everyone. Unfortunately, today has been even more frustrating for me. My auto insurance will not cover...
I truly appreciate all the input/advice, etc. Thank you to everyone. Unfortunately, today has been even more frustrating for me. My auto insurance will not cover theft, and I do not have home/renters insurance. I called the Riverside Sheriff Department today where I was told they will not take a police report unless I am at the scene of the crime. I then called a local pawn shot at the exit before Market St for Milestone. The guy told me that he will not answer any questions about this matter, and that I am not to come into his shop to discuss this matter unless I have a police report. I don't think I've ever felt more helpless in my life. It is absolutely devastating when that camera bag and its contents is what earns me a living. No camera equipment, no work.
Will Milestone let you post flyers about the stolen gear? Maybe offer a reward, doesn't have to be cash, maybe something you have a hook up on? Vital stickers??
captmoto
6/28/2011 8:45pm
The pawn shop owner is a POS. He might even be aware of whats going on. Those cocksuckers know they buy stolen shit, they just hide behind a piece of paper to get away with it. I worked with a guy whose son had a drug problem. His son took some of his tools and his wifes jewelry and pawned it. All he did was ask for the items at a local pawn and the owner confirmed it. He didn't need a police report to do it. It might be worth the drive to go back and get a report and then see if the cop will go with you to the pawn shop.
Mod Killer
6/28/2011 9:11pm
how about a email address for milestone?

im sure with a lil momentum, vitals finest could fill their inbox up with a whole lot of nice emails. give em enough shit and they might break to the pressure.

and i dont necessarily think that its milestones fault, but i am alarmed about there cavalier attitude towards these incidents. if i owned a track, i'd take it personal that my track had as bad a rep as milestone has.
elmo
6/28/2011 9:20pm
Kyle I have never met you but have seen you around. It is a bit harder for me to make it to the nationals because my...
Kyle I have never met you but have seen you around. It is a bit harder for me to make it to the nationals because my daughter is young and wife works really weird days and hours. I was planning to do Millville but I might not be able to make it. Ill do Pala for sure since its in Cali. That said, I have a brand new Canon 7D w/grip and the new 70-200 Mark II lens I can loan you if you have nothing and in a bind. Im sure you shoot with a 1d or 1ds but I sold them off and been using a couple 7d's for now. Let me know.
Hoss
Man, I really, really appreciate the kind gesture. That is so generous. I actually do all my work with a 7d as I made the transistion from photo to video a couple years ago. My 7d is/was my baby.

@Mod Killer - I don't think it is Milestone's fault, but at the rate in which these crimes are happening out there, you would think they'd give a shit and do what they can to help resolve the issues. The fact that they do not seem to give a damn really irritates me. They will not see a dime from me until they make a serious push to correct this problem.
jasonv43
6/28/2011 9:21pm
GuyB wrote:
Just the usual...touring the Nationals. Smile
wawazat wrote:
Oh, ok, well I hope your taking some photos and junk...It would be cool to have that as a memory. Maybe if some of the pics...
Oh, ok, well I hope your taking some photos and junk...It would be cool to have that as a memory. Maybe if some of the pics come out decent you could post em on a web site or something? Ever thought of that?? Oh and since your driving to all the nats, maybe name the website "Motodrive." lol

Kinda out there idea, but it might stick...your welcome to the name too... haha
Maybe even start a forum where fans can connect with racers and industry insiders?
Mod Killer
6/29/2011 12:44am
seems they are open to suggestions from what i read on that link.

as for their costs and what not.....i dont think they are lying. that facility, while popular, cant be cheap to operate. a persons gotta make a profit.

a vigilante sting so far is the best option ive heard. its cheap. its swift. it will get results that the pigs/courts could dream of.
sxf138
6/29/2011 7:08am
Ya know, I hate to say this but I have been riding out there on thursdays and can't help but notice how scketchy some of the workers are. I know this has been brought up, but I have noticed in between motos that some of the workers were scoping out trucks while walking/driving by. I don't know, I was just getting a bad vibe from them.

I bet it is not them, but I am sure that they know some people who know some people that could do some damage with the workers assistance. All it takes is a slim jim and quick hands and boom, your truck is raided.
GHOPPER
6/29/2011 8:04am
Why dont you go back to Milestone and get a police report so you can talk with the pawn shop? Or does it have to be the day that it happened. Sorry this happened to you. I will never go to that track. There are too many tracks in so-cal that this is not happening at.
40Plus_922mx
6/29/2011 9:14am
Video surveillance is CHEAP. If there is an epidemic and the property owners are aware of this then they need to be part of the solution. Nobody is asking them to hire the national guard? But how about some cheap video surveillance with a 24 hr loop? They could have gone back and stared at elmo's car for the time it was there and "BANG!" caught. Very simple solution here. Then post signs like these around the parking area.
bauman117
6/29/2011 9:52am
such a bummmer,,,I know that spot all too well and im thinking it would be hard for milestone to be secure at all with the riverbottom that runs on the east side of their property.that riverbottom is home to all type of sketchy tweeker or mex/south american nationals.i ride the bike trail that goes along the other side and ive seen scarry peeps but the way they got into your car kinda makes me think it was a experinced thief .The one thing about thieves is they usually cant stop once the found a good spot..kyle does ur camera have some type of electric signature to the files it would record?like i know some cameras have encrypted stuff in the files or has something saved in the setting..id be willing to stop by any local pawn shop and play dumb guy lookin to buy a camera .ud have to test it before u buy it and take a file home on a car and could possibly prove something.im wondering what the law is if it hit a pawn shop..do they have a certain amount of grace period before an item can go out for sale..like a time for people who got stuffed ripped off to go thru the process to hopefully find it and reclaim it..seems like there would have to be some type of law .i may be wrong..sounds a lil extra shady that the guy cant tell if if someone came in with that kind of camera but i guess money is the name of the game for a pawn shop not giving things back to who it was stolen from..i live a few blocks from milestone .I know todd gutierrez pretty well and i know u guys are tight,,anything i can do to help..lemme kno.... Rory Bauman bauman117@yahoo.com
bauman117
6/29/2011 10:08am
sxf138 wrote:
Ya know, I hate to say this but I have been riding out there on thursdays and can't help but notice how scketchy some of the...
Ya know, I hate to say this but I have been riding out there on thursdays and can't help but notice how scketchy some of the workers are. I know this has been brought up, but I have noticed in between motos that some of the workers were scoping out trucks while walking/driving by. I don't know, I was just getting a bad vibe from them.

I bet it is not them, but I am sure that they know some people who know some people that could do some damage with the workers assistance. All it takes is a slim jim and quick hands and boom, your truck is raided.
This sounds very likley..Any body wanna set up the sting?seems like they could pay a lil attention and know u just left ur stuff in there..have a look out guy keepin an eye on you (the vitctim).
KnightStick
Fantasy
372nd
6/30/2011 10:49am
So Milestone has deleted the thread from their facebook page.

Milestone says they want suggestions but nothing seems to change.

Never in my 30yrs of riding SoCal tracks have I heard of anything close to this.

This is sounding more and more like an inside job.
Sparkey
6/30/2011 10:58am
Go get the police report. Be a pain in the ass to them. Take the police report to the pawn shop and search the place.
Mod Killer
6/30/2011 11:20am
So Milestone has deleted the thread from their facebook page. Milestone says they want suggestions but nothing seems to change. Never in my 30yrs of riding...
So Milestone has deleted the thread from their facebook page.

Milestone says they want suggestions but nothing seems to change.

Never in my 30yrs of riding SoCal tracks have I heard of anything close to this.

This is sounding more and more like an inside job.
after ghopper and sxf138s recent posts, i was starting to think the same thing.

its not a problem at ANY other track in socal that i know of. its an epidemic at milestone. i have one friend who wont ever go there with me cause of the tracks reputation. i thought he was crazy at first but this thread is total evidence of what a mess it is.

its gotta be an inside deal.
Sondy132001
6/30/2011 11:23am
from the Management at Milestone:

Due to the on going security issues Milestone's Management has decided to change our gate entry policy.

Effective immediately Milestone's new entry policy will be as follows:

Everyone must be a member unless you are out of state we will no longer allow non-member riders

Everyone one coming through the front gate must have some form of identification. If you can't identify your self properly at the front gate you will not be allowed in.

All spectator vehicles that do not have a bike or person riding with them will have to pay a $10.00 parking fee. (There will be some exception for media and industry people but all industry and media personnel must have a business card on hand in order to avoid this fee.)

We will be hiring 2 security guards to be on duty at all times. They will be roaming around the pits helping control the out of control pit riding as well as monitoring the pits keeping an eye out for peoples belongings. They will also have the right revoke someones membership if an individual is not complying with all park rules.

A surveillance system has been installed at our front gate so all members be alert of what's going on and report all suspicious vehicle to our staff members.

All of these changes will be enforced immediately we apologize in advance if there is any inconvenience to our members but hope it will put an end to all the security issues.
Torco1
6/30/2011 11:29am
from the Management at Milestone: Due to the on going security issues Milestone's Management has decided to change our gate entry policy. Effective immediately Milestone's new...

Due to the on going security issues Milestone's Management has decided to change our gate entry policy.

Everyone must be a member unless you are out of state we will no longer allow non-member riders

Everyone one coming through the front gate must have some form of identification. If you can't identify your self properly at the front gate you will not be allowed in.

All spectator vehicles that do not have a bike or person riding with them will have to pay a $10.00 parking fee. (There will be some exception for media and industry people but all industry and media personnel must have a business card on hand in order to avoid this fee.)

We will be hiring 2 security guards to be on duty at all times. They will be roaming around the pits helping control the out of control pit riding as well as monitoring the pits keeping an eye out for peoples belongings. They will also have the right revoke someones membership if an individual is not complying with all park rules.

A surveillance system has been installed at our front gate so all members be alert of what's going on and report all suspicious vehicle to our staff members.

All of these changes will be enforced immediately we apologize in advance if there is any inconvenience to our members but hope it will put an end to all the security issues.
Wow, that's a pretty good step in the right direction.
newmann
6/30/2011 11:33am
from the Management at Milestone: Due to the on going security issues Milestone's Management has decided to change our gate entry policy. Effective immediately Milestone's new...

Torco1 wrote:
Wow, that's a pretty good step in the right direction.
X2
Spuds
6/30/2011 11:38am
I am really surprised that after this many incidents that there has not been any more security. This is getting ridiculous.
Mod Killer
6/30/2011 11:50am

thx for posting.

im glad they bowed to the pressure. its long overdue. but late is better than never in this case.

i like riding there and would hate to have to stop or always feel like im putting all my stuff at risk just by going there.
newmann
6/30/2011 12:00pm
What's rediculous is that a motocross facility has to hire security personnel. The "MX" has always been sacred grounds as far as I'm concerned. A place to go and lend a hand when necessary, not pilfer through somebodies belongings.I've left so much shit open and unattended over the years and loaned stuff out to complete strangers without getting screwed over, ever. Sucks for sure, and no doubt people will now be bitching about the increased costs of going riding.
GHOPPER
6/30/2011 2:04pm
newmann wrote:
What's rediculous is that a motocross facility has to hire security personnel. The "MX" has always been sacred grounds as far as I'm concerned. A place...
What's rediculous is that a motocross facility has to hire security personnel. The "MX" has always been sacred grounds as far as I'm concerned. A place to go and lend a hand when necessary, not pilfer through somebodies belongings.I've left so much shit open and unattended over the years and loaned stuff out to complete strangers without getting screwed over, ever. Sucks for sure, and no doubt people will now be bitching about the increased costs of going riding.
x2
mxb2
7/1/2011 2:05pm
lock your shit, have it insured, have someone sit with your vehicle, if the place is that bad do not go!

Post a reply to: Latest Victim of Theft at Milestone

The Latest