Latest News in SCI Therapy

mfowler
9/24/2018 11:11am
Pretty interesting article here with a lot of relevance to our sport.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2018/09/24/paralyzed-people-are-b…
|
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
9/24/2018 12:49pm
As someone who suffers from a SCI this is pretty damn cool. It's not a cure but it sure as hell would make my and plenty of other's lives that much easier.

I'd like to hear from the member on here (name escapes me at the moment) who's involved in SCI/stem cell research what he think of this.

I've seen both paralyzed rats and humans walk again after suffering a SCI so I do believe science is well on its way of finding a cure. Unfortunately, just like everything else in the medical field there's just a lot of red tape to go through. Better safe than sorry.
752dad
9/24/2018 4:01pm
Just saw this on NBC nightly news.
Hoping that they make incredible progress in the near future.

KC
9/24/2018 5:37pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
As someone who suffers from a SCI this is pretty damn cool. It's not a cure but it sure as hell would make my and plenty...
As someone who suffers from a SCI this is pretty damn cool. It's not a cure but it sure as hell would make my and plenty of other's lives that much easier.

I'd like to hear from the member on here (name escapes me at the moment) who's involved in SCI/stem cell research what he think of this.

I've seen both paralyzed rats and humans walk again after suffering a SCI so I do believe science is well on its way of finding a cure. Unfortunately, just like everything else in the medical field there's just a lot of red tape to go through. Better safe than sorry.
That's probably me.

You probably know from my posting history that I am generally guarded about news like this. There's so much snake oil out there shrouded in shady science and unknowns.

Here, I think there's sound rationale to think that this can work. There has been a lot of progress on the device side, and the thinking underlying it is sound. They aren't relying on trying to regrow the connection which has been a big sticking point for the field-it's a literal workaround.

It won't be a 100% solution for sure but I am guardedly optimistic. They pointed out the tough remaining questions in the article - age, and duration of injury, and you'd like to see it have positive impacts on more people. But it might be that the latent capability to do these basic functions remain in the spinal cord, and they just need the bridge (device) to get the impulses over the gap.

I'd agree with your assessment, though, Maverick: it's pretty damn cool. We are learning a ton, but it takes oodles of work (and pallets of money) to make things happen. Speaking for scientists, we wish it didn't take so long to get things done-it sucks for us too. I hope it does make your live(s) easier soon!

Post a reply to: Latest News in SCI Therapy

The Latest