Last Season for NBCSN?

DJ KC
Fantasy
550th
I watch a lot of Youtube News about all forms of racing besides SX&MX. Racing video vlogger David Hand reported that NBCSN may be going away on Nov. 2021 after the Indy Car season is done. This has all kinds of rumors on where all the racing will go.

The first big rumor it will go to their "Peacock" network, their "Paid To Stream" service. This means Indy Car, NASCAR, Supercross and Motocross will be "Paid To Stream".

The second big rumor... ABC/ESPN is going to pick it back up.

Fox is looking to get out of racing and could be dumping NASCAR after the 2021 season.

For people that pay a cable premium for sports channels, this is bad news.

People have been saying... "Bring back "Speedvision", but FOX owns the rights to Speedvision. I don't see that happening.

I would think the smart choice would be going to "MAVTV". The channel that the first Motos of the Outdoors is shown.

Personally, I cut the cable a long time ago and been paying for the streaming of SX and MX. The cost of 2 SX tickets pays for the whole season.
|
Brent
12/27/2020 2:18pm
...who watches motorsports anymore when they have a PS5?

AngrySick
12/27/2020 2:22pm
Brent wrote:
...who watches motorsports anymore when they have a PS5?

AngrySick
Hey this peasant just had to order a new controller for his PS2 LaughingLaughing I only play a little bit during the winter lol
SCC
12/27/2020 2:54pm
Still no word if they are doing stream service for 2021 SX?
DJ KC
Fantasy
550th
12/27/2020 3:04pm
SCC wrote:
Still no word if they are doing stream service for 2021 SX?
It's still coming and according to Davy Coombs, this year's package will cost less.

The Shop

MXMattii
12/27/2020 3:24pm
DJ KC wrote:
I watch a lot of Youtube News about all forms of racing besides SX&MX. Racing video vlogger David Hand reported that NBCSN may be going away...
I watch a lot of Youtube News about all forms of racing besides SX&MX. Racing video vlogger David Hand reported that NBCSN may be going away on Nov. 2021 after the Indy Car season is done. This has all kinds of rumors on where all the racing will go.

The first big rumor it will go to their "Peacock" network, their "Paid To Stream" service. This means Indy Car, NASCAR, Supercross and Motocross will be "Paid To Stream".

Fox is looking to get out of racing and could be dumping NASCAR after the 2021 season.

People have been saying... "Bring back "Speedvision", but FOX owns the rights to Speedvision. I don't see that happening.

I would think the smart choice would be going to "MAVTV". The channel that the first Motos of the Outdoors is shown.

Personally, I cut the cable a long time ago and been paying for the streaming of SX and MX. The cost of 2 SX tickets pays for the whole season.
If I was ABC/ESPN (and all other TV Channels) I would pick up any sports I could get, because soon enough they will understand that sports is the only thing that people keep on watching live on the old school TV, a platform they know and has a model "working" for them. But what do I know, if they wanna change something, they should get rid of the "rights by country" so channels can go global with Internet Television.
motoman617
12/27/2020 6:55pm
DJ KC wrote:
I watch a lot of Youtube News about all forms of racing besides SX&MX. Racing video vlogger David Hand reported that NBCSN may be going away...

I watch David on YouTube also and he usually has some good reliable news. From what all the insiders are saying NBCSN will be going away and moving what content they want keep will be behind a paywall at Peacock. I subscribe to the Supercross/Motocross package now and while I enjoy watching Indycars and IMSA racing and other forms of racing I won’t pay extra to see them. At some point a line has to be drawn because I can only afford so much and have to give up something.

Leeham
Fantasy
3084th
12/27/2020 7:38pm
It it costs considerably more to watch through Peacock, its only going to drive more people away. I may have to go back to watching races on Youtube or Twitch. Didnt mind paying the money. I reckon the Peacock streaming service wont cost more than $15 a month but who knows. Id pay that
8tensolutions
12/27/2020 8:09pm
You pay for NBCSN anyway, right? Everything is becoming a la carte, which is great, Pay for the individual stuff you actually want to watch. For me, I have Netflix, Peacock, HBO Max, and Apple TV+. I also happily pay for the SX/MX pass on NBC Gold. With all of those, my monthly cost is much less than it ever was with cable or satellite.

JRCII
12/27/2020 9:15pm
The Youtube vloggers name is "David Land" and that was very interesting to watch, going to have to check out his channel more often.
crowe660
Fantasy
4049th
12/28/2020 8:41am
Heads up, if you have auto renewal still setup, I think it’s going to go through on 12/30
early
Fantasy
2212th
12/28/2020 9:35am
Even if they move NBCSports to the peacock app I would bet not much changes as far as the individual paid subscription content. Just like when they phased out the NBC gold app, everything pretty much stayed the same on the nbcsn app. I wouldn't count on ESPN picking up SX/MX, Disney has no interest in motorcycle racing, NBC on the other hand has picked up every major motorcycle series.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
12/28/2020 9:46am
DJ KC wrote:

John Ourand of Sports Business Daily is also predicting it.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2020/12/14/Media/Spo…

Not sure what that would mean for SX. Has the cable TV landscape changed so much in the 2 years since NBC bought SX, that they would just dump it now? Or are they just pushing it to Peacock?

Personally, I would prefer for SX (and MX) to remain available on cable TV. But young people are less and less likely to even have cable, so having it available live streaming may be all that matters in the long run.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
12/28/2020 9:57am Edited Date/Time 12/28/2020 9:58am
Leeham wrote:
It it costs considerably more to watch through Peacock, its only going to drive more people away. I may have to go back to watching races...
It it costs considerably more to watch through Peacock, its only going to drive more people away. I may have to go back to watching races on Youtube or Twitch. Didnt mind paying the money. I reckon the Peacock streaming service wont cost more than $15 a month but who knows. Id pay that
Right now, Peacock Premium is $4.99/month, and supposedly includes everything they offer (including live sports), but includes ads. If you only subscribe from Jan-May (for Supercross), that is $25. Cheaper than NBC Gold. And even cheaper if you like to watch any of the other programming they offer.

They also have a Premium Plus plan for $9.99 that eliminates most commercials, but I would think the SX programming will still have ads, since the race program has natural breaks anyway.

I think it might be a good thing for hard core fans, who are cord-cutters, if SX/MX goes to Peacock. Also it might be a decent way to find new fans, if the live races get a prominent spot on their home page on Saturday nights.

(Thought it's worse for me, because I like to TiVo the SX races, and then start watching later in the night or on Sundays so I can skip commercials.)
AxlBundy
12/28/2020 11:09am
Thanks for the heads up. Turned off my auto renew
spd721
12/28/2020 3:37pm
I watched the video too. I hope that its not true as I really enjoy watching motorsports on NBCSN. It also amazes me that Fox would want out of NASCAR.
731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
12/28/2020 5:44pm
It isn’t just motor sports now. 2020 potentially changed sports TV viewing habits for an entire generation. Im all for more doing and less watching so I think it’s a good thing. However, I still want to be able to watch Supercross and outdoors live via some sort of service.
Phildirt
12/28/2020 6:34pm
Nothing better than living during the day and watching the motos as time allows in the evening. It's a good package that I'll gladly pay for again!
DC
12/28/2020 6:53pm
Leeham wrote:
It it costs considerably more to watch through Peacock, its only going to drive more people away. I may have to go back to watching races...
RichieW13 wrote:
Right now, Peacock Premium is $4.99/month, and supposedly includes everything they offer (including live sports), but includes ads. If you only subscribe from Jan-May (for Supercross)...
Right now, Peacock Premium is $4.99/month, and supposedly includes everything they offer (including live sports), but includes ads. If you only subscribe from Jan-May (for Supercross), that is $25. Cheaper than NBC Gold. And even cheaper if you like to watch any of the other programming they offer.

They also have a Premium Plus plan for $9.99 that eliminates most commercials, but I would think the SX programming will still have ads, since the race program has natural breaks anyway.

I think it might be a good thing for hard core fans, who are cord-cutters, if SX/MX goes to Peacock. Also it might be a decent way to find new fans, if the live races get a prominent spot on their home page on Saturday nights.

(Thought it's worse for me, because I like to TiVo the SX races, and then start watching later in the night or on Sundays so I can skip commercials.)
All good points, Richie. I think it's going to be better if that's the route they are going, which I suspect they are. An announcement should come by January 5-7, so maybe 10 days out they will announce their new packages....

And 731chopper is right, 2020 changed the TV landscape forever. The new reach of smaller platforms and the "ala carte" menus are things people involved with TV have been hinting at for years, but it grabbed a couple gears in 2020.

DC
Racer X
Neverclear
12/28/2020 6:53pm
I pay the $10 for ad-free Peacock to watch the Premier League now, so if they add it live each week to that service, I'll take it.

The biggest issue is that they only show events on the streaming service that aren't being broadcast live on either NBCSN or Network NBC. So in order to see all the football matches, I need all 3 services.

I'd still gladly pay for the Gold app if I could watch live commercial free SX/MX. Either way, I imagine they will do whatever ends up costing us more.
kxfracer108
12/28/2020 7:45pm
crowe660 wrote:
Heads up, if you have auto renewal still setup, I think it’s going to go through on 12/30
Thank you for the heads up Crowe. I enjoyed the nbc pass a lot the first year but found that I only watched about 1/3 of the races last year with pandemic chaos. My kids enjoy watching highlights of the races but it’s hard committing to 3 hours of tv when the kids are about to go to bed and they can only handle a 20 minute dose. Maybe next year
MX47
12/29/2020 3:13am Edited Date/Time 12/29/2020 3:16am
If the races are not archived at least for a few days it is not going to be better. I am not home most Saturday nights to watch the races. I would not be able to watch them at all.
Edit: It looks like the Premier League games are archived so maybe the SX and MX will be also.
RalphS
12/29/2020 1:30pm Edited Date/Time 12/29/2020 1:30pm
I'll pay 50% more for the gold app if it comes with a function to mute myself and just listen to the bikes

Post a reply to: Last Season for NBCSN?

The Latest