Lappers and One Line....

tbanks
Edited Date/Time 6/16/2012 4:14pm
Just came home from the Budds Creek National and it was good. The 250's delivered, Tickle surprised everyone, the weather was awesome, and the track held up great despite the early slickness in moto 1. Also Dungey was in a class all his own.

However I have never ever seen anything like the lap traffic in the first 250 moto, as well as the second. I think it was lap 5 or 6 where Roczen, Barcia, and Baggett hit lapped traffic and it was horrible to see. Now I understand that lappers will always play a part, but never have I seen the field lapped so quickly and lappers not move out of the way so poorly. In both motos Roczen was hindered badly by lappers, and I don't know if they showed it but Tomac almost went down due to a lapper. The scariest moment was at the downhill triple, where I was spectating. Barcia had to put some mad body english on his bike in midair because he almost landed on a rider he was lapping. I'm not sure what can be done about this but I think lappers should be held accountable in some cases when problems like these arise.

My other issue is probably harder to tackle. In the past during practice hay-bales and the like were put on the track to help develop lines. But now with the timing system in practice I understand you really can't do that due to riders needed to put down their fastest lap. Therefore everyone rides in the fast lane. Budds Creek is a very hard track to pass on, which does make for close racing, but with 1 main line developed we get other problems like the one mentioned above (lappers). With everyone in the same line the track unfortunately becomes narrow. With our current system this isn't easy to address, and track builders can try all they want to build a track with many lines but ultimately it won't help . What will it take to ensure a track with different options?

Nothing else to report here except I hope everyone makes it out next year. The riders were amazing as always and we have the best riders in the world racing our series IMO.
|

Post a reply to: Lappers and One Line....

The Latest