Lakewood Thunder Valley - Major Track Changes

Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1464th
Edited Date/Time 6/5/2021 6:01am
PREPARE FOR TRACK LAYOUT CHANGE!

Attention pro's.. A lot work going on at Lakewood Thunder Valley. South track end complete re-route and new jumps. Appear to have put in uphill whoophy-d-whoops.. Smile Might have to put on the sasquatch costume and start new tradition during the race by this feature. Looks pretty cool!

Hard to tell if it will make the track longer or shorter. Will report back with some drone spy photos after the rain stops.
|
zehn
6/1/2021 12:56pm
Weather looks good, almost 90 on Saturday. Should make for a good race weekend. Interested to see what the new layout looks like
TooTallJason
Fantasy
870th
6/1/2021 1:25pm
I'm so pumped. I saw Stank Dog posted that Watkins is open for pros Thursday and I heard a lot of other guys were going up to Leadville to ride Thursday and I wish I could get off work.

I know that they had changed the layout a bit earlier this year but I'm excited to hear they're making more.
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1464th
6/1/2021 1:37pm
I'm so pumped. I saw Stank Dog posted that Watkins is open for pros Thursday and I heard a lot of other guys were going up...
I'm so pumped. I saw Stank Dog posted that Watkins is open for pros Thursday and I heard a lot of other guys were going up to Leadville to ride Thursday and I wish I could get off work.

I know that they had changed the layout a bit earlier this year but I'm excited to hear they're making more.
They completely re-routed the gulley section.. stay tuned for photos.
smv ryder
Fantasy
1306th
6/1/2021 1:43pm
I'm so pumped. I saw Stank Dog posted that Watkins is open for pros Thursday and I heard a lot of other guys were going up...

I sure hope that is true about Leadville.. Independence pass just opened and it would be sick to see them rip Leadville.

The Shop

TooTallJason
Fantasy
870th
6/1/2021 1:54pm

smv ryder wrote:
I sure hope that is true about Leadville.. Independence pass just opened and it would be sick to see them rip Leadville.
From what I read on instagram post comments, Kris Keefer was talking about Leadville Thursday for dudes to get acclimated to altitude. Which I guess is a hell of a way to do it, go ride moto at 10,000 ft.

I want to go ride Leadville so bad, I just don't want to fight the traffic to get up there on the weekend.

Johnny Ringo
6/1/2021 2:22pm
I remember 2007 (year before they went to night time) and it was the hottest national I’ve ever been to. Multiple bikes boiled fuel
BMc914
6/1/2021 3:26pm
Track has been changed for about 3 months now. Ben Lamay lives in Idaho springs now. Which is not to far from the track he has been out there running laps. He isn't cleaning up at the local racing like I would of thought though.
Press516
Fantasy
126th
6/1/2021 3:39pm
This is cool to hear... Back in the day, you showed up early to walk the track, because it was never the same week to week. I'm often surprised to see many of the big tracks run an almost identical layout year after year.

I'll be watching on Sunday via Peacock replay, so this just hypes the desire to watch it.
zehn
6/1/2021 3:48pm
I remember 2007 (year before they went to night time) and it was the hottest national I’ve ever been to. Multiple bikes boiled fuel
Boiling point also decreases as altitude increases
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
6/1/2021 3:51pm
From what I read on instagram post comments, Kris Keefer was talking about Leadville Thursday for dudes to get acclimated to altitude. Which I guess is...
From what I read on instagram post comments, Kris Keefer was talking about Leadville Thursday for dudes to get acclimated to altitude. Which I guess is a hell of a way to do it, go ride moto at 10,000 ft.

I want to go ride Leadville so bad, I just don't want to fight the traffic to get up there on the weekend.

Coming from low elevations and riding at 10Kft on Thursday is a good way to feel like dog shit for race day on Saturday.
Johnny Ringo
6/1/2021 3:58pm
zehn wrote:
Boiling point also decreases as altitude increases
For sure, but it was fucking hot too!! Maybe not Texas 2011 but still gnar for a flat lander like myself
DA498
6/1/2021 4:23pm

This change has been in play for awhile now. Not sure if this is what we are talking about. Not uphill whoops like mentioned, but significant change.

Not saying they have something different yet for the National planned.
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
6/1/2021 4:29pm
FGR01 wrote:
Coming from low elevations and riding at 10Kft on Thursday is a good way to feel like dog shit for race day on Saturday.
Yeah that's a risky move unless they've had a few days in or around Denver beforehand.
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1464th
6/1/2021 4:45pm Edited Date/Time 6/1/2021 4:48pm
DA498 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/06/01/496057/s1200_E7A9BE22_FC2D_4381_B32C_01478DB231E3.jpg[/img] This change has been in play for awhile now. Not sure if this is what we are talking about. Not uphill whoops like mentioned, but...

This change has been in play for awhile now. Not sure if this is what we are talking about. Not uphill whoops like mentioned, but significant change.

Not saying they have something different yet for the National planned.
That is the main track change. Got rid of the big left hand downhill sweeper.

The big uphill rollers I think are just getting shaped up bigger for national. It's on the return uphill from the highest top center of the track. Just wasn't aware of this change. I just haven't gone mx riding much this spring, we got record snow/rain this spring.
DA498
6/1/2021 4:51pm
Moto_Geek wrote:
That is the main track change. Got rid of the big left hand downhill sweeper. The big uphill rollers I think are just getting shaped up...

The big uphill rollers I think are just getting shaped up bigger for national. It's on the return uphill from the highest top center of the track. Just wasn't aware of this change. I just haven't gone mx riding much this spring, we got record snow/rain this spring.
Gotcha, yeah those uphill rollers were huge last year as many were trying to double the first set and barely making it. They are fairly non existent on practice days.
MyBobbym
6/1/2021 4:53pm
From what I read on instagram post comments, Kris Keefer was talking about Leadville Thursday for dudes to get acclimated to altitude. Which I guess is...

FGR01 wrote:
absolutely
BMc914
6/1/2021 5:51pm
It Suppose to be the hottest day of the year so far 88 on saturday.
5280mx
6/1/2021 10:28pm
Moto_Geek wrote:
That is the main track change. Got rid of the big left hand downhill sweeper. The big uphill rollers I think are just getting shaped up...

DA498 wrote:
Gotcha, yeah those uphill rollers were huge last year as many were trying to double the first set and barely making it. They are fairly non...
Gotcha, yeah those uphill rollers were huge last year as many were trying to double the first set and barely making it. They are fairly non existent on practice days.
Took this shot of AC, those uphill rollers were gnarly!

WCRider
Fantasy
2287th
6/2/2021 2:52am
It will easily be better than Pala.
NorCal1975
6/2/2021 8:56am
WCRider wrote:
Pala is not a great track, but it was a good test for the riders and it was really good racing. Pala will always suffer from the comparisons to Glen Helen. Thunder Valley IS a really good track, and great for spectators. What people may not know who have not ridden there is that the dirt Thunder Valley is built on is absolutely horrible, rocky and hard as concrete. They bring in an insane amount of topsoil, sand and wood chips to make it a good race surface. And last time we rode there is was like $20 or $25 for the entire day, like 9am until you were too tired to ride (about 10am for me) or you have broken your bike.
motomike137
6/2/2021 12:00pm
I'm always nervous about big track changes. it took me a few years to get used to the changes at High Point.
TooTallJason
Fantasy
870th
6/3/2021 12:08pm
They cancelled the amateur races for more prep time. They say the rain over last weekend took three days away from them so they aren't done with it yet.
kpiper
6/3/2021 5:58pm
WCRider wrote:
NorCal1975 wrote:
Pala is not a great track, but it was a good test for the riders and it was really good racing. Pala will always suffer from...
Pala is not a great track, but it was a good test for the riders and it was really good racing. Pala will always suffer from the comparisons to Glen Helen. Thunder Valley IS a really good track, and great for spectators. What people may not know who have not ridden there is that the dirt Thunder Valley is built on is absolutely horrible, rocky and hard as concrete. They bring in an insane amount of topsoil, sand and wood chips to make it a good race surface. And last time we rode there is was like $20 or $25 for the entire day, like 9am until you were too tired to ride (about 10am for me) or you have broken your bike.
I wonder what they would do to the track if Carlsbad was still on the circuit today?

Bring in lots of dirt???
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1464th
6/3/2021 6:51pm
WCRider wrote:
NorCal1975 wrote:
Pala is not a great track, but it was a good test for the riders and it was really good racing. Pala will always suffer from...
kpiper wrote:
I wonder what they would do to the track if Carlsbad was still on the circuit today?

Bring in lots of dirt???
It smell like a manure mixture.
Brent
6/3/2021 6:56pm Edited Date/Time 6/3/2021 6:57pm
WCRider wrote:
NorCal1975 wrote:
kpiper wrote:

Bring in lots of dirt???
...they might have brought in dirt, but they wouldn't have to worry about spectators.

this is from 1979 - I'm the kid in the back with the Yellow Yamaha shirt.
kpiper
6/3/2021 10:19pm
NorCal1975 wrote:
kpiper wrote:

Bring in lots of dirt???
Brent wrote:
...they might have brought in dirt, but they wouldn't have to worry about spectators. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/06/03/496319/s1200_Image_6_3_21_at_6.54_PM.jpg[/img] this is from 1979 - I'm the kid in the back...
...they might have brought in dirt, but they wouldn't have to worry about spectators.

this is from 1979 - I'm the kid in the back with the Yellow Yamaha shirt.
Great pic. Thanks for sharing.

I was just being sarcastic about bringing in dirt. I think it is actually good to have a track or too that is hard pack like Carlsbad was in the series.
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
6/4/2021 1:36pm
Tracks these days have long flowing corners especially this one, how about some Tight corners that are stop and go where riders have to use the brakes and RACE out of the corner from almost a dead stop.

Post a reply to: Lakewood Thunder Valley - Major Track Changes

The Latest