Lake Whitney?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/24/2018 1:00 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/24/2018 1:01 AM

Was one of my favourate tracks and recently a mate was in the area and I told him he has to give LW a try. Sadly...Apparently it has been closed down for a while. Can anyone here elaborate a bit as to what went down?

|

Non Gratum Anus Rodentum

12/24/2018 5:32 AM

Sold and the people turned it into a private hunting ranch. Last I heard they were actually trying to sell lot's for people to build homes down by the river. Best track Texas ever had in my opinion.

|

12/24/2018 5:57 AM

Is the track still visible from above? What's the name of the nearest town? For some reason a like looking at disused tracks, buildings, stuff like that.

|

12/24/2018 6:20 AM

I was in the area earlier this year. I was going to stop by and try to drive in, but I figured that chances of getting past the gates was slim to none - so I kept on trucking. Found it on google maps, though. My friends that live close by also told me they had heard they were selling lots on the land, but I can't confirm.

Photo

|

vurbwes

12/24/2018 6:39 AM

|

"We don't rent pigs."

12/24/2018 7:41 AM

Part of the land the track was on was for sale last year I believe. It hurts to think about Lake Whitney knowing it’s gone forever.

|

12/24/2018 7:45 AM

How long is it closed now?

|

12/24/2018 7:59 AM

Bidirella wrote:

How long is it closed now?

Been a while. Probably 10 years or more.

|

12/24/2018 8:00 AM

Bidirella wrote:

How long is it closed now?

The track was closed in 2010 when the land it was on was “converted” into a corporate hunting retreat.

|

12/24/2018 8:02 AM

mb60 wrote:

Sold and the people turned it into a private hunting ranch. Last I heard they were actually trying to sell lot's for people to build homes down by the river. Best track Texas ever had in my opinion.

Thanks for the update and such a bummer to hear. Without doubt you are correct in rating it as the best track Texas ever had.

|

Non Gratum Anus Rodentum

12/24/2018 6:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/24/2018 6:37 PM

Actually ownership changed long before the track got shut down. The new owner put up with a few years of races because it brought in a lot of revenue. Then the elder Masterpool brother (Jesse) died in a crash and that about did it. The owner finally shut the track down and turned it all into a high dollar hunting retreat, which is what it already was every other day of the year.

|

12/24/2018 6:41 PM

Muscle-Milk-KTM wrote:

Is the track still visible from above? What's the name of the nearest town? For some reason a like looking at disused tracks, buildings, stuff like that.

You don't like to clean other riders boots to do you? laughing laughing laughing

|

12/25/2018 12:15 AM

Muscle-Milk-KTM wrote:

Is the track still visible from above? What's the name of the nearest town? For some reason a like looking at disused tracks, buildings, stuff like that.

Lightning78 wrote:

You don't like to clean other riders boots to do you? laughing laughing laughing

No way, can't stand cleaning my own let alone anyone else's ?

|

12/25/2018 1:44 AM

I have great stories and memories from that track. The hill climb as part of the track was awesome!

|

12/25/2018 1:56 AM

racingfortheson wrote:

I have great stories and memories from that track. The hill climb as part of the track was awesome!

I remember watching Ben Riddle and Shorty there. Those dudes were sure fast around there.

Also, I stand to be corrected but I think it was Rusty Holland who had that track dailed. 98/99

|

Non Gratum Anus Rodentum