Lake Mead levels has me wondering if there's any imminent danger to track watering in the west.

soggy
Fantasy
3857th
9/5/2022 5:24am
bvm111 wrote:
Vegas gets very limited water from lake mead and it almost all goes downstream to CA, AZ, and Mexico. A lot of what we do use...
Vegas gets very limited water from lake mead and it almost all goes downstream to CA, AZ, and Mexico. A lot of what we do use mostly gets pumped back into the reservoir after treatment. Additionally, the “heat wave” and extra rain/humidity this year was caused from the volcanic eruption off the coast of Tonga last year.

https://climate.nasa.gov/news/3204/tonga-eruption-blasted-unprecedented…

I read something interesting a few weeks ago that Vegas has basically used the same amount of water since 2000.

Water rights need to be rewritten. At least in Utah they do. Farmers get xx.xx acre feet of water per year and if they don’t use all of it they could lose it. Rather then only using what they need. Makes absolutely no sense.

Colorado River water rights aren’t based off how much water is running into the river each year as someone already mentioned.

Our local mx club had its water rights cut by ~40% this year.
sandman768
9/5/2022 6:23am
Just came home from driving across the country to get my daughters car to Boulder Co. we planned an extra week to do a bunch of hikes in Glen Canyon, Moab area”s. We stayed in Page Arizona right next to the Glen Canyon dam…Lake Powell is painfully low…. Such a beautiful, yet harsh environment….hard to say… is this drought just a natural cycle every few hundred years or have we exploited and mismanaged the Colorado so poorly, this is the end result…. Hopefully they have a solid winter of snow in the mountains to replenish water levels moving forward….side note…. We were driving south on 70 out of Denver on a Sunday evening, heading to Arizona…the opposite direction was jammed packed, bumper to bumper with Motorhomes, toy haulers, trailers with Mx/off road bikes… Looks like everyone returning from the desert area”s from a weekend of recreation….. looks like such a great area, outdoors paradise!
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
9/5/2022 6:29am Edited Date/Time 9/5/2022 6:29am
sandman768 wrote:
Just came home from driving across the country to get my daughters car to Boulder Co. we planned an extra week to do a bunch of...
Just came home from driving across the country to get my daughters car to Boulder Co. we planned an extra week to do a bunch of hikes in Glen Canyon, Moab area”s. We stayed in Page Arizona right next to the Glen Canyon dam…Lake Powell is painfully low…. Such a beautiful, yet harsh environment….hard to say… is this drought just a natural cycle every few hundred years or have we exploited and mismanaged the Colorado so poorly, this is the end result…. Hopefully they have a solid winter of snow in the mountains to replenish water levels moving forward….side note…. We were driving south on 70 out of Denver on a Sunday evening, heading to Arizona…the opposite direction was jammed packed, bumper to bumper with Motorhomes, toy haulers, trailers with Mx/off road bikes… Looks like everyone returning from the desert area”s from a weekend of recreation….. looks like such a great area, outdoors paradise!
The Rocky Mountain region needs 10+ years of above average snowfall to climb out of this drought. And we haven’t been having good winters lately. One ‘good’ winter unfortunately won’t even come close to doing it.
OCgoon1533
9/5/2022 6:51am
We had a de-sal plant almost ready to go online here in OC, but the coastal commission axed it.

The Shop

9/5/2022 9:01am
soggy wrote:
I read something interesting a few weeks ago that Vegas has basically used the same amount of water since 2000. Water rights need to be rewritten...
I read something interesting a few weeks ago that Vegas has basically used the same amount of water since 2000.

Water rights need to be rewritten. At least in Utah they do. Farmers get xx.xx acre feet of water per year and if they don’t use all of it they could lose it. Rather then only using what they need. Makes absolutely no sense.

Colorado River water rights aren’t based off how much water is running into the river each year as someone already mentioned.

Our local mx club had its water rights cut by ~40% this year.
Wow this hits home hard. My cousin who works for a certain federal govt Agency said the same thing. When he first joined he thought they would be happy he saved the govt a couple bucks on a hotel room. Nope. They were pissed since they have a budget to use up every year and if they don’t the budget gets cut following year. Sad way the govt works.
m21racing
9/5/2022 11:10am
There's a good documentary on YouTube that talked about the 2016 drought in Cali. Pretty crazy There's parts of Cali with developing nations water conditions.
ShipLap
9/5/2022 11:22am Edited Date/Time 9/5/2022 11:24am
rucka356 wrote:
Why aren't they building any desalinization plants to pump ocean water into the lake/river/water systems?
Because it might upset the red-faced crabfish clam slug, and we can't have that!
Searights
9/5/2022 11:25am
Tree huggers may hug themselves right out of a water sourceWink
philG
9/5/2022 11:27am
I still struggle with the concept of people moving somewhere to sit in A/C all day long.

Vegas has the water thing sorted, they will be pulling water long after everyone else isnt. They have a lower outlet.

9/5/2022 11:57am
rucka356 wrote:
Why aren't they building any desalinization plants to pump ocean water into the lake/river/water systems?
When I lived out there in San Diego county about 3 or 4 years ago they were working on desalination plants, but one winter it actually rained a whole bunch so they paused those plans.

I used to always see the streets in Oceanside that would flood with any amount of rain and all the water would just flow into the ocean because they had absolutely no infrastructure to save the water. It was the same in San Bernardino.
9/5/2022 11:59am Edited Date/Time 9/5/2022 12:00pm
It was fun when my wife and I were travel nursing clearing big money every week. As soon as we had to get permanent jobs though we could feel the middle class pinch and took our COVID housing boom money and got out. I don't miss it, except for the trails that I could ride to from my house.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
9/5/2022 12:10pm
bvm111 wrote:
Vegas gets very limited water from lake mead and it almost all goes downstream to CA, AZ, and Mexico. A lot of what we do use...
Vegas gets very limited water from lake mead and it almost all goes downstream to CA, AZ, and Mexico. A lot of what we do use mostly gets pumped back into the reservoir after treatment. Additionally, the “heat wave” and extra rain/humidity this year was caused from the volcanic eruption off the coast of Tonga last year.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I work in the industrial water processing industry. By and large Vegas businesses are very inefficient in terms of water utilization, in fact I'd go as far as saying they are bad across the board. Water is insanely cheap in Vegas and thus there was no incentive to conserve water - wrap your head around that one. They may have their water rights sorted out, but they don't have their industrial water processing regs worked out at all. I've heard rumblings of industrial water costs in Vegas increasing by 6X by the end of this year. IF that in fact happens, Vegas will see a 30% decrease in industrial water use due to improved water conservation the next 2 year period. Time will tell if that happens.
Bruce372
9/5/2022 12:17pm
In California, I am lead to believe that 80% of the water is going to subsidized farming and the majority of use is for almond farming that again, is subsidized and highly inefficient of water use.

Of course, if you want to have a discussion on whether this is sustainable, then you get called out for hurting the struggling farmers.

It's a mess of inefficiency and waste and politics snd stupidity.
mwssquad827
9/5/2022 12:30pm
So an Overpopulated desert area is having water shortages.what’s to discuss other than don’t ask for tax dollars to fix the situation.
Broseph wrote:
If only there was a way to see this coming they could have put additional infrastructure in place.
We put lush green cities (golf courses, parks, ponds in subdivisions, etc) in the desert…. Writing has been on the wall for years!!
Simply desert landscaping in Nevada, Arizona, California would save a TON of water instead of green lush water sucking landscaping…
AZ35
Fantasy
550th
9/5/2022 12:31pm
Bruce372 wrote:
In California, I am lead to believe that 80% of the water is going to subsidized farming and the majority of use is for almond farming...
In California, I am lead to believe that 80% of the water is going to subsidized farming and the majority of use is for almond farming that again, is subsidized and highly inefficient of water use.

Of course, if you want to have a discussion on whether this is sustainable, then you get called out for hurting the struggling farmers.

I recall reading something a few years ago about how much snowpack from the California mountains just flows into the ocean, because they have to maintain a certain "flow" for some endangered fish habitat?

A majority is diverted for farming, a portion is allocated for SoCal, and a significant allocation just flows down the rivers into the ocean to save the native fish habitat.

How many fish habitats are being harmed by draining Lake Powell, Lake Mead, Lake Mohave, etc.?

How many lives and local economies are being disrupted (tourism, hydro energy production, etc)?

Meanwhile, we have to save the fuckabuck fish habitat to appease the Sierra Club. Screw all the other consequences of that decision, and the impact on millions of people and water reserves for 6 states.
FerCzD
9/5/2022 12:38pm
TbonesPop wrote:
Over 70% of the earth's surface is water and desalination of sea water is literally a commodity now (I work in the water processing industry). Any...
Over 70% of the earth's surface is water and desalination of sea water is literally a commodity now (I work in the water processing industry). Any reason to not do it is nothing more than an excuse. Viable solutions exist, its just not politically profitable.
I read a paper about the bi-product of desalination, brine, highly concentrated hypersaline solution back into the ocean. Potentially can change the PH of the seas and could trigger another catastrophe on marine life as we know it, not only fish, but corals and plankton which generate most of the oxygen we breath in the world.

Not saying desalinization won't help fix the problem, but is definitely not the end measurement. People must understand complex problems doesn't have simple solutions.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
9/5/2022 12:44pm
TbonesPop wrote:
Over 70% of the earth's surface is water and desalination of sea water is literally a commodity now (I work in the water processing industry). Any...
Over 70% of the earth's surface is water and desalination of sea water is literally a commodity now (I work in the water processing industry). Any reason to not do it is nothing more than an excuse. Viable solutions exist, its just not politically profitable.
FerCzD wrote:
I read a paper about the bi-product of desalination, brine, highly concentrated hypersaline solution back into the ocean. Potentially can change the PH of the seas...
I read a paper about the bi-product of desalination, brine, highly concentrated hypersaline solution back into the ocean. Potentially can change the PH of the seas and could trigger another catastrophe on marine life as we know it, not only fish, but corals and plankton which generate most of the oxygen we breath in the world.

Not saying desalinization won't help fix the problem, but is definitely not the end measurement. People must understand complex problems doesn't have simple solutions.
Um, altering RO reject pH is one of the easiest and cheapest treatment technologies on the planet. Using that for not desalinating is nothing more than an excuse. Any "science" person making that claim should have their credentials revoked. Just like everything else, there are politics involved which controls how money flows to the various political entities. Its never about the best solution to the problem, its all about the circle of money transferring hands. Private industry could solve this problem in the bat of an eye.
Bruce372
9/5/2022 12:46pm
Bruce372 wrote:
In California, I am lead to believe that 80% of the water is going to subsidized farming and the majority of use is for almond farming...

AZ35 wrote:
I recall reading something a few years ago about how much snowpack from the California mountains just flows into the ocean, because they have to maintain...
I recall reading something a few years ago about how much snowpack from the California mountains just flows into the ocean, because they have to maintain a certain "flow" for some endangered fish habitat?

A majority is diverted for farming, a portion is allocated for SoCal, and a significant allocation just flows down the rivers into the ocean to save the native fish habitat.

How many fish habitats are being harmed by draining Lake Powell, Lake Mead, Lake Mohave, etc.?

How many lives and local economies are being disrupted (tourism, hydro energy production, etc)?

Meanwhile, we have to save the fuckabuck fish habitat to appease the Sierra Club. Screw all the other consequences of that decision, and the impact on millions of people and water reserves for 6 states.
I am confident so much of this is just put out there to stoke emotion and get the population arguing over the scraps.

Nancy and Gavins vineyards will be fine watering.

The whole of 580 east is dried brush and some of it burnt last week, but all the golf courses are nice and green as you head towards Altamont.
bvm111
9/5/2022 12:46pm
bvm111 wrote:

TbonesPop wrote:
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I work in the industrial water processing industry. By and large Vegas businesses are very inefficient in terms of...
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I work in the industrial water processing industry. By and large Vegas businesses are very inefficient in terms of water utilization, in fact I'd go as far as saying they are bad across the board. Water is insanely cheap in Vegas and thus there was no incentive to conserve water - wrap your head around that one. They may have their water rights sorted out, but they don't have their industrial water processing regs worked out at all. I've heard rumblings of industrial water costs in Vegas increasing by 6X by the end of this year. IF that in fact happens, Vegas will see a 30% decrease in industrial water use due to improved water conservation the next 2 year period. Time will tell if that happens.
I’m a phoenix native (scottsdale, tempe, FH) and before coming back on active duty army status when the economy crashed in 08 I was a Landscape Architect working in a large multi disciplinary firm where I may have been responsible for the development of the majority of the city of Surprise, Tempe Town Lake, the Hayden Ferry complex to include the park along the south side of the lake and the the first phase of the Light Rail. I say this to establish I have worked with many well run city municipalities… Vegas is the worst run city on every level. There is not a mature city council with foresight or long term strategic plan, The city transportation department is a joke, to include the water district… it’s atrocious!
TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
9/5/2022 12:53pm
So an Overpopulated desert area is having water shortages.what’s to discuss other than don’t ask for tax dollars to fix the situation.
Broseph wrote:
If only there was a way to see this coming they could have put additional infrastructure in place.
We put lush green cities (golf courses, parks, ponds in subdivisions, etc) in the desert…. Writing has been on the wall for years!! Simply desert landscaping...
We put lush green cities (golf courses, parks, ponds in subdivisions, etc) in the desert…. Writing has been on the wall for years!!
Simply desert landscaping in Nevada, Arizona, California would save a TON of water instead of green lush water sucking landscaping…
Most golf courses and landscaping in the desert are already on grey (recycled) water. Focusing on landscaping was done a decades ago and now its not even remotely close to what impact could be made on the industrial side. Industrial water use for manufacturing, power generation, and industrial cooling is by far hands down the largest consumer of water resources in the desert regions. Its not even close. A large industrial user in the desert will easily use 50-100,000,000 gallons a year of water. For really larger users, probably in the order of 500,000,000 gallons a year, per plant depending on the size.
motocross97
9/5/2022 2:26pm
Can somebody explain to me why natural lakes are full , but manmade lake are going dry?
It’s it mismanaged?
davis224
Fantasy
138th
9/5/2022 2:34pm
Can somebody explain to me why natural lakes are full , but manmade lake are going dry?
It’s it mismanaged?
Well I can't speak for every lake, but I know Tahoe is pretty damn low, and Great Salt Lake is getting dangerously low as well.
fullfloater
Fantasy
13th
9/5/2022 2:36pm
Searights wrote:
Water rights are some of the most political things ever.

Anyone ever see the movie “Chinatown” with Jack Nicholson?
Thanks for the recommendation. Rented that last night.
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
9/5/2022 3:16pm
TbonesPop wrote:
FerCzD wrote:
I read a paper about the bi-product of desalination, brine, highly concentrated hypersaline solution back into the ocean. Potentially can change the PH of the seas...

TbonesPop wrote:
Um, altering RO reject pH is one of the easiest and cheapest treatment technologies on the planet. Using that for not desalinating is nothing more than...
Um, altering RO reject pH is one of the easiest and cheapest treatment technologies on the planet. Using that for not desalinating is nothing more than an excuse. Any "science" person making that claim should have their credentials revoked. Just like everything else, there are politics involved which controls how money flows to the various political entities. Its never about the best solution to the problem, its all about the circle of money transferring hands. Private industry could solve this problem in the bat of an eye.
RO requires a shit-ton of power, correct? That is one of the limiting factors and the reason has not reached widespread usage. CA already has power problems.
183Matt
Fantasy
1637th
9/5/2022 3:18pm
It’s it mismanaged?
What lakes would that be?
APLMAN99
9/5/2022 3:23pm
Bruce372 wrote:

AZ35 wrote:
I recall reading something a few years ago about how much snowpack from the California mountains just flows into the ocean, because they have to maintain...

The impact on fisheries is quite a bit more complicated than that. We’ve had to do a lot of mitigation on our hydroelectric dams up here to help return fish runs. Without those efforts, it would have a huge global impact. Not just on the fish that could no longer migrate the rivers, but both up and down the natural food chain that these fish exist in.

9/5/2022 3:24pm Edited Date/Time 9/5/2022 3:29pm
It’s it mismanaged?
davis224 wrote:
Well I can't speak for every lake, but I know Tahoe is pretty damn low, and Great Salt Lake is getting dangerously low as well.
Not to mention that man-made resorvoirs are literally built into riverways to be filled and drained for the sole purpose of servicing our needs. Of course they have broader working levels than natural bodies. If they didn't, it would be a complete failure of the concept.
APLMAN99
9/5/2022 3:29pm
It’s it mismanaged?
I don’t think that it is quite that cut and dry, but there are some important differences to consider.

‘Natural’ lakes are fed from upstream sources and generally have a natural spill point that excess runoff would flow into. ‘Man made’ lakes (reservoirs) are generally the result of excess water that flows from natural sources. So there are many years that have so little excess water that reservoirs can decline pretty dramatically year over year.
motocross97
9/5/2022 3:32pm
I was at Lake Tahoe this weekend and it was full , definitely have seen it lower
9/5/2022 3:33pm
Bruce372 wrote:

AZ35 wrote:

The whole sac delta area has no appreciable elevation drop and relies on freshwater inflow to control the salinity. If you divert that flow to SoCal or the farms in the valley then everyone’s wells start pumping salt water in the delta, so it’s robbing Peter to pay Paul

Post a reply to: Lake Mead levels has me wondering if there's any imminent danger to track watering in the west.

The Latest