Lake Elsinore Attendees

C.Worthy
9/8/2012 9:32pm Edited Date/Time 9/9/2012 12:26pm
I'm curious as to what people who actually WENT to the race thought about it. I don't care how or what it looked like on tv because it was honestly a lot different in person.

I had fun but when do you not have fun at a national? I think the facility was top notch. It was super nice and the track held up better than what I thought it was going to be. I applaud those guys for dumping the money into that track. It was pretty cool to experience and definitely a lot different than any other national I've been too.

The only downsides I saw were that it was a bitch to get anywhere on the track. There was a fence here, and white fence there, you couldn't get here or there without hopping a fence or something. It was really hard to walk around the track which was realllyyy annoying. The whole track smelled like mulch and up close on certain parts of the track it looked like they weren't even racing on dirt. And if you wanted to watch the start you could.....but then if you wanted to see the rest of the track you had to walk back the way you came and literally miss 15 minutes of the moto because you could only walk one way around the track.

If you could have walked a full circle around the track it would have been fine, AND gotten rid of a lot of those white fences. Getting out of the parking lot reminded me of....Pala, but instead of taking me 2 hours to get out like it did at pala did, it only took me an hour to get out of here. All in all I though it was a decent debut here and hundreds of times bettter than pala's debut race. It's no Glen helen but I was somewhat satisfied.

Race ATTENDEES what did you think? etc.
|
TeamGreen
9/8/2012 9:54pm
C.Worthy wrote:
I'm curious as to what people who actually WENT to the race thought about it. I don't care how or what it looked like on tv...
I'm curious as to what people who actually WENT to the race thought about it. I don't care how or what it looked like on tv because it was honestly a lot different in person.

I had fun but when do you not have fun at a national? I think the facility was top notch. It was super nice and the track held up better than what I thought it was going to be. I applaud those guys for dumping the money into that track. It was pretty cool to experience and definitely a lot different than any other national I've been too.

The only downsides I saw were that it was a bitch to get anywhere on the track. There was a fence here, and white fence there, you couldn't get here or there without hopping a fence or something. It was really hard to walk around the track which was realllyyy annoying. The whole track smelled like mulch and up close on certain parts of the track it looked like they weren't even racing on dirt. And if you wanted to watch the start you could.....but then if you wanted to see the rest of the track you had to walk back the way you came and literally miss 15 minutes of the moto because you could only walk one way around the track.

If you could have walked a full circle around the track it would have been fine, AND gotten rid of a lot of those white fences. Getting out of the parking lot reminded me of....Pala, but instead of taking me 2 hours to get out like it did at pala did, it only took me an hour to get out of here. All in all I though it was a decent debut here and hundreds of times bettter than pala's debut race. It's no Glen helen but I was somewhat satisfied.

I have to agree with most all of what you said.

The Hill in the Middle of the Track was PRIME REAL ESTATE...

Note to Track Owners: a coupl'a bigger Hills in the Mid-Field?

I went right outta the lot & around the back of the lake to the Ortega...a bit shorter-time-in-line than most folks that went out to the 15.

The facility could use more "Artificial Shade" or maybe some trees?

If you look at the quality of the facilities and how well it was all managed for a "1st Effort"?

Impressive.

Especially to those of us that WERE THERE!
jasonv43
9/8/2012 10:10pm
You guys covered most of it for me too.

TeamGreen said it best though. "The facility could use more "Artificial Shade" or maybe some trees?".
twizzler
9/8/2012 10:18pm Edited Date/Time 9/8/2012 10:25pm
I was there. I agree for the first time they did a good job with the facility. The track I think was impressive. The spectating area, viewing needs improvement. Fans couldn't get close to the track in any area. The white fences kept fans far away from the track. As far as a spectator I was not too pleased. I think they will learn alot and I expect it to improve for next year. And yes it was far better than Pala for spectating. Parking area was HUGE I don't think they filled it up. Was a breeze driving in and driving out, I didn't experience any traffic conjestion. The track seemed to hold up well all day, was rough and seemed to have a much different layout than other tracks. So in that aspect I think the track was a success. Some of the riders said the jumps were fun, but also said the track didn't flow to well. It was also slick in places. But overall it was better than most riders expected, at least from the ones I talked to. I will also say the moto trash and bro hos and tough guys was at a minimum. Especially compared to the past at Glen Helen. I didn't witness anybody causing trouble and the crowd seemed to be more subdued and well behaved than I ever experienced at Glen Helen. For the race being in Elsinore I think that was a surprise to me. Also plenty of nice porta potties around the facility. And yes shade areas and mature trees would've been nice. 102 degrees in the sun with no shade was pretty brutal. Saw quite a few people and vehicle traffic heading out and home after the 1st set of motos.
C.Worthy
9/8/2012 10:22pm
I completely agree about the shade. It was hotter than satan's a$%hole with little to no shade. I feel like the viewing was kind of a let down. They really need to improve on that too.

The Shop

Shenzi
Fantasy
1267th
9/8/2012 10:26pm
C.Worthy wrote:
I'm curious as to what people who actually WENT to the race thought about it. I don't care how or what it looked like on tv...

TeamGreen wrote:
I have to agree with most all of what you said. The Hill in the Middle of the Track was PRIME REAL ESTATE... Note to Track...

I went right outta the lot & around the back of the lake to the Ortega...a bit shorter-time-in-line than most folks that went out to the 15.

If you look at the quality of the facilities and how well it was all managed for a "1st Effort"?

Impressive.

agree with both you guys, especially artificial shade and more hills to see more of the track.

Took us a while to get out though, like 45 minutes from parking to the road.

Well organized, good first one.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
9/8/2012 10:54pm
I thought the first 450 moto was overwatered, which made it a bit either snot or concrete...not shocking to anyone who'd ridden Elsinore before. The use of water trucks also made it a bit inconsistent. Sometimes sections would be well-watered, while the main race line would be dry.

The facility was impressive. I camped in the pits all weekend, so I didn't have to deal with parking. That was a non-issue for me.

I asked Dungey if it earned its spot on the National schedule and he said yes.
Lightning78
9/8/2012 10:55pm
C.Worthy wrote:

TeamGreen wrote:
I have to agree with most all of what you said. The Hill in the Middle of the Track was PRIME REAL ESTATE... Note to Track...

Impressive.

I agree one thousand percent with what team green said also....the downsides mentioned weren't that bad and man, what a track and facility the Elsinore track is! I was beyond impressed and seriously, glen Helen can't really hold a candle to Elsinore now. There isn't anything I saw at the 4 or 5 glen Helen nationals that Elsinore didn't trump it in spades.

As for the middle mountain, some guy told me he couldn't see anything up there so I never went bec of my 2.5 post op tib fib it was an EFFORT to get around the track with a severe hobble.

Also, about that shade......there are a lot of trees planted there and over the years it will look great! I personally was blown away and I've been to hangtown multiple times as well and the pala debacle....parking was a breeze at Elsinore too and it wasn't that bad getting to the fwy once you got out of the facility.....I only wish I had more hands so I could give the new Elsinore national FOUR THUMBS UP!.... Another sweet bonus was my buddy won the tickets on the pulp show last week so we had nothing to lose and THANK YOU PULPMX for the tickets. The only complaint I had and its lame....was the friggin SLOW as hell will call lines....other than that, it was a great experience and I will be going back.....albeit a lot healthier and stronger my poor leg took a serious beating ....some guy walked up to me freaked out telling me I had injured myself amd I needed to go to the medics....he was literally yelling at me to go ...till I showed him my scars from the operation.
Lightning78
9/8/2012 10:59pm
GuyB wrote:
I thought the first 450 moto was overwatered, which made it a bit either snot or concrete...not shocking to anyone who'd ridden Elsinore before. The use...
I thought the first 450 moto was overwatered, which made it a bit either snot or concrete...not shocking to anyone who'd ridden Elsinore before. The use of water trucks also made it a bit inconsistent. Sometimes sections would be well-watered, while the main race line would be dry.

The facility was impressive. I camped in the pits all weekend, so I didn't have to deal with parking. That was a non-issue for me.

I asked Dungey if it earned its spot on the National schedule and he said yes.
GuyB what the hell was that thing in the costume hugging Bagget? He was all over him and it looked like he was a bit bothered......

OH AND ONE MORE THING which had me laughing my ass off to tears......did anyone see the plane flying the banner that had something written about Twitch and his phone #? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH somebody got him REALLY GOOD I tried to get a pic of it but juuuust missed the plane and the note on the banner he was dragging....
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
9/8/2012 11:03pm Edited Date/Time 9/8/2012 11:05pm
GuyB what the hell was that thing in the costume hugging Bagget? He was all over him and it looked like he was a bit bothered...
GuyB what the hell was that thing in the costume hugging Bagget? He was all over him and it looked like he was a bit bothered......

OH AND ONE MORE THING which had me laughing my ass off to tears......did anyone see the plane flying the banner that had something written about Twitch and his phone #? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH somebody got him REALLY GOOD I tried to get a pic of it but juuuust missed the plane and the note on the banner he was dragging....
It was some dude in a big Volcom logo. I get guerrilla marketing, but running in front of the TV camera in the middle of Blake getting presented with his number one plate isn't punk rock, it's douchbaggery.

Yeah, I got a photo of the plane and message. Apparently he and Maddo have been going back and forth on pranks.
TeamGreen
9/8/2012 11:06pm
GuyB what the hell was that thing in the costume hugging Bagget? He was all over him and it looked like he was a bit bothered...

GuyB wrote:
It was some dude in a big Volcom logo. I get guerrilla marketing, but running in front of the TV camera in the middle of Blake...
It was some dude in a big Volcom logo. I get guerrilla marketing, but running in front of the TV camera in the middle of Blake getting presented with his number one plate isn't punk rock, it's douchbaggery.

Yeah, I got a photo of the plane and message. Apparently he and Maddo have been going back and forth on pranks.
New Vitard term: Doucherocketry
Lightning78
9/8/2012 11:12pm
Well........ Maddo topped ANYTHING Twitch could come up with after that stunt.....my stomach still hurts from laughing and Maddo got it out in front of almost 10,000 people .... Wonder if he had to change his number after that LOL
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
9/8/2012 11:13pm
TeamGreen wrote:
New Vitard term: Doucherocketry
Yeah...I'm actually not all that crazy about the term Vitard, actually. Most of the 'tards that post really dumb stuff, I wouldn't claim. Smile
JJO741
Fantasy
3012th
9/8/2012 11:25pm
I really enjoyed today. I thought the track was awesome and provided some good racing. The only gripe I had was it was extremely hot and the vendors ran out of water pretty quickly. It only took 10 minutes to get out of the parking lot after the Motos too. I was very impressed with the event and I hope it is here to stay.
tunedlength
9/8/2012 11:29pm Edited Date/Time 9/8/2012 11:29pm
I thought the track was very clever. Penty of places to pass, the rollers were sketchy as hell!
Remarkable transformation, Peter's and his crew should be proud.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
9/8/2012 11:56pm

This is what I was talking about. That's only a portion of the parking lots.
MX45
9/9/2012 12:11am Edited Date/Time 9/9/2012 12:13am
It was a great day. I was able to park VERY close and was "inside" within a minute. We scouted out every viewing location, and although none offered a view of the entire track, I didn't care because I like to move to a new spot each moto anyway. I don't walk, I roll, so the sidewalks were appreciated for that.

The track itself ended up having a great design for racing and the "truck side" was a great use of the facility and grand stands. I would like to see some seating on the moto side eventually, but the hills helped serve that purpose for spectating.
Shade was scattered, but available. It's good to know that is something that can be easily improved.

It was hot, and my only complaint would be the "NO COOLERS" sign at the entrance. I did not see them enforcing it, however. I brought a small cooler in with water and gatorade and I was very glad I did. It can obviously be a dangerous situation with the heat if you are not able to stay hydrated.

That banner with Twitch's # was hilarious. I got pictures, but forgot a card reader and can't get them off the camera until Monday. I probably wouldn't post the full # anyway, though I'm sure he probably changed it by now lol.

I will definitely be going back next year. Props to everyone who made it happen.
Outsider
9/9/2012 7:27am
C.Worthy wrote:
I completely agree about the shade. It was hotter than satan's a$%hole with little to no shade. I feel like the viewing was kind of a...
I completely agree about the shade. It was hotter than satan's a$%hole with little to no shade. I feel like the viewing was kind of a let down. They really need to improve on that too.
If they planted a bunch of trees, that would make the viewing even worse no?
Knobbyjake
9/9/2012 7:36am
Did anyone else see Alessi just miss clipping that small tree in the second moto right after Dungey passed him? It was on the outside of a left turn. He just missed the thing!
abn166
9/9/2012 8:34am
Overall I thought it was well done for a first effort. My biggest complaint was the "No coolers" sign at the entrance. I had to make the long walk back to the car with my small cooler and then i had to buy $6 drinks.
Mr. Info
9/9/2012 9:18am
Good for first effort but crowd was down and food and drink prices very high and the report of no coolers being allowed in was not right. Hope second year is better.
Trav138
9/9/2012 9:44am
No coolers? Pushing 100 degrees fucking lame and unsafe
malachi177
9/9/2012 9:51am
ocscottie wrote:
:laugh: [img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A2SmKWuCIAEM7pa.jpg[/img]
Laughing

lol...that's awesome!!
TeamGreen
9/9/2012 9:54am
C.Worthy wrote:
I completely agree about the shade. It was hotter than satan's a$%hole with little to no shade. I feel like the viewing was kind of a...
Outsider wrote:
If they planted a bunch of trees, that would make the viewing even worse no?
It's "where" you plant them...
englishman
9/9/2012 10:00am
I thought they did a great job with the track considering what they had to work with. They did a great job of keeping it watered and prepped all day as well.

Getting in and out was great, no problems at all. The concrete walkways and the chipping laid down in the truck area were very nice - as opposed to the usual dust clouds everywhere.

The viewing wasn't so great but you accept that when going to watch an outdoor race live. That being said and as a fan, GH is where I want to see pros riding around in circles. I don't care what it's like to race on, the political bs, etc GH as a package is way better than the other two ( Els & Pala ) IMO as a paying spectator.
pitbike502
9/9/2012 11:24am

GuyB wrote:
It was some dude in a big Volcom logo. I get guerrilla marketing, but running in front of the TV camera in the middle of Blake...

Did you see the rampant umbrella? That thing got waaay up in the air!
smc916
9/9/2012 11:32am
I agree with what everyone has touched on. The facility was really cool with the walkways, fencing, and ponds. With the lack of shade it would be nice if they added some water misters around the track, maybe at the tunnel entrances. Viewing was good, even though the track was split in two parts, truck track and MX track. We just kept walking around trying to find a good spot to watch, there were plenty of "good" spots but never stayed in one place for to long because I hoped to find a "better" spot. Spent most our time in between races running back and forth from my truck to get waters, the no coolers sucked, and the rest of the time hanging out in the shade under the grandstands. Turnout seemed good, I never went to Pala so I can't compare it to that, but it didn't seem as full as Glen Helen used to get. Everything was so spread out through so it's hard to tell really, there was a lot of people everywhere you went. The track itself looked like typical Elsinore hard and slick with a bunch of crap, literally, piled on top of it. We got in and out with no problem and left sunburned, dirty, tired, but happy. I'll go back next year, but maybe DC can move it to the first round because early May has got to be better than early September!
Bronson905
Fantasy
889th
9/9/2012 11:38am
pitbike502 wrote:
I saw that! And before that happened, someone's Ez-up went flying upside down into somebody elses Ez-up. Definitely funny when you can hear the whole crowd chanting.
To answer to the original post, I had a fun day and I thought the track was great! I got to ride it on Amateur practice day on Friday, and it was super deep and sloppy, really hard to do some of the jumps on a 250f. Other than it being around 105 degrees, I had a blast!
dkg
9/9/2012 11:43am Edited Date/Time 9/9/2012 11:45am
I agree with the other comments written here. The event was very well organized. Traffic wasn't an issue. I rate the traffic handling up there with what you see at most of the SX events. Entry and exit flow was very well organized. Those SX events are done at stadiums with years of traffic coordination. Elsinore handled it very well.

It was hot, the girls at the concession stand ran out of water very quickly. My most pleasant surprise was that rather than getting frustrated with the situation, they handled it well and passed out cups of ice as they waited for the water to be resupplied. Suggestion here is to get more water and give the staff a raise. On all levels I was impressed with the staff. I set up viewing near the fence under one of the tv lifts. Needed the shade. During down time shot the breeze with the staff there. Very friendly and professional. I think event staff was excellent.

The track is spread out and no real elevated places to watch. I don't see this as a situation that can be remedied given the real estate being used. However, this seems to be a two edge sword. You can't see more of the track, but, the area you do view ends up not being overly crowded so you get very good viewing of that area. The speakers/sound was not over powering.

Anyway, had a great time. Attendance seemed good. A good event overall regardless of the number of times it has been held. For A first effort I'd give it two thumbs up.
C.Worthy
9/9/2012 12:05pm
pitbike502 wrote:
Bronson905 wrote:
I saw that! And before that happened, someone's Ez-up went flying upside down into somebody elses Ez-up. Definitely funny when you can hear the whole crowd...
I saw that! And before that happened, someone's Ez-up went flying upside down into somebody elses Ez-up. Definitely funny when you can hear the whole crowd chanting.
To answer to the original post, I had a fun day and I thought the track was great! I got to ride it on Amateur practice day on Friday, and it was super deep and sloppy, really hard to do some of the jumps on a 250f. Other than it being around 105 degrees, I had a blast!
I saw the EZ up get huge air floating off the ground so I pulled out my camera and waited for it to happen again and saw that umbrella hover in the air about 30 feet off the ground! hahahaha Here's a picture I snapped of it. Luckily nothing flew on the track. that could have been bad.

Post a reply to: Lake Elsinore Attendees

The Latest