LS2 Helmets

kkawboy14
Edited Date/Time 5/19/2018 10:28am
On the Weege, Matthes, JT$ racerx sx #whosnext show. They had a new sponsor LS2 helmets.

Never heard of them, what’s their deal? Who are they?
|
jrminiquad
12/17/2017 9:46am
I bought an LS2 street bike helmet a few years back. Very happy with it.

My son won the Moto Playground Pitbike race at Mini O's this year and he got an LS2 retro type (open face) helmet that looks pretty cool. He is just using it as a trophy rather than wearing it though.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
12/17/2017 10:06am Edited Date/Time 12/17/2017 10:21am
LS2 Helmets

Been around since the 90's. Looks to have a ton of ventilation.

Here's their new MX470 helmet.

Price: Around $275
3 Shell Sizes
XS - XXL
Certified ECE 22.05
GR 1200 ± 50
KPA
Long Oval
Emergency Release System

https://youtu.be/MqcTXUnd7QI?rel=0
crockett
12/17/2017 11:41am
Sick no like euro style.
Doesn't look right on zacho,
Tuna
12/17/2017 2:42pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
[url=https://ls2helmets.us]LS2 Helmets[/url] Been around since the 90's. Looks to have a ton of ventilation. Here's their new MX470 helmet. Price: Around $275 3 Shell Sizes XS...
LS2 Helmets

3 Shell Sizes
XS - XXL
Certified ECE 22.05
GR 1200 ± 50
KPA
Long Oval
Emergency Release System

Closer to $220 USD and under $245 in Canada on Fortnine. Helmets are not released in NA yet. Should be next week or January. LS2 is huge in the EU and one of the fastest growing helmet brands in NA. The new helmet should be 1200grams. Similar design and build as Airoh and Just1.
I’m on a waiting list for the blue and yellow one you posted. I have a Suomy MX Jump, Airoh/Kini Red Bull and a Just 1 J12 already. Looking forward to trying this helmet. I prefer the EU lighter helmets with ECE cert.

The Shop

12/17/2017 3:16pm
crockett wrote:
Sick no like euro style.
Doesn't look right on zacho,
I know.. I hate the way some of these helmets look. But I guess the looks of the helmet really aren't important.
brocsdad
12/17/2017 3:21pm Edited Date/Time 12/17/2017 3:23pm
I happen to have the new LS2 right now but I have to ship it back for a photo shoot. It's crazy light and the ventilation is just unreal. We were sponsored by Just1 for the past 3 years but they pulled sponsorship and we could never get the latest models in the states. The new LS2 is a superior helmet to Just1.

A lot of people are concerned about the safety because of the lower price point. LS2 wanted to offer a high-end helmet at an affordable price and that is exactly what they have done.

It's an awesome helmet and I cannot wait for the official release in January.
brocsdad
12/17/2017 5:24pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
[url=https://ls2helmets.us]LS2 Helmets[/url] Been around since the 90's. Looks to have a ton of ventilation. Here's their new MX470 helmet. Price: Around $275 3 Shell Sizes XS...
LS2 Helmets

3 Shell Sizes
XS - XXL
Certified ECE 22.05
GR 1200 ± 50
KPA
Long Oval
Emergency Release System

Tuna wrote:
Closer to $220 USD and under $245 in Canada on Fortnine. Helmets are not released in NA yet. Should be next week or January. LS2 is...
Closer to $220 USD and under $245 in Canada on Fortnine. Helmets are not released in NA yet. Should be next week or January. LS2 is huge in the EU and one of the fastest growing helmet brands in NA. The new helmet should be 1200grams. Similar design and build as Airoh and Just1.
I’m on a waiting list for the blue and yellow one you posted. I have a Suomy MX Jump, Airoh/Kini Red Bull and a Just 1 J12 already. Looking forward to trying this helmet. I prefer the EU lighter helmets with ECE cert.
USD retail is $250 to $275 depending on model.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
12/17/2017 8:54pm Edited Date/Time 12/17/2017 8:56pm
If a helmet isn't using something like MIPS, 6D or 360 type technology, they're not making the short list of which helmet I'll buy next. More info on LS2's version of that is important. We went for decades with very little actual changes in helmet technology, it's really nice that 6D jump started the next level of protection.

etccb
12/17/2017 9:11pm
Is this a plastic shell?
tobias56
12/17/2017 11:46pm
LS2 helmets are quite popular around here. They do have nice styles and design.
Tuna
12/18/2017 3:24am
etccb wrote:
Is this a plastic shell?
Carbon Kevlar.
brocsdad
12/18/2017 5:50pm Edited Date/Time 12/18/2017 5:55pm
If a helmet isn't using something like MIPS, 6D or 360 type technology, they're not making the short list of which helmet I'll buy next. More...
If a helmet isn't using something like MIPS, 6D or 360 type technology, they're not making the short list of which helmet I'll buy next. More info on LS2's version of that is important. We went for decades with very little actual changes in helmet technology, it's really nice that 6D jump started the next level of protection.

The LS2 shell rotates similar to the Bell helmet. The difference is the EPS liner is actually molded into the helmet so after time it will not come loose.
brocsdad
12/18/2017 8:21pm
etccb wrote:
Is this a plastic shell?
KPA or Kinetic Polymer Alloy. Very light and does not shatter like carbon fiber.
mxr746
5/17/2018 11:41am
The vents are impressive. Single density foam is unimpressive. Still it remains to be seen how the shell material works with the EPS. In theory the shell, (if it is softer than other typical helmets) may make up for some of the problems of single density EPS. I have a 6D , and will consider adding an LS2 to the gear bag, primarily because of the heat where I ride. Heat stroke is just as big, or an even bigger danger (for me at least) on certain days than is the injury potential of a crash.
murph783
5/17/2018 5:53pm
Tried a few from our distributor on a couple years back, absolutely hated the fit. Feeling of pressure on the top of my head, even when wearing 2 sizes up. I’d attribute it to having a funky shaped head but I’ve never had that issue with another helmet, and a few of the other guys around the shop felt the same.
racerx317
5/18/2018 8:46pm
mxr746 wrote:
The vents are impressive. Single density foam is unimpressive. Still it remains to be seen how the shell material works with the EPS. In theory the...
The vents are impressive. Single density foam is unimpressive. Still it remains to be seen how the shell material works with the EPS. In theory the shell, (if it is softer than other typical helmets) may make up for some of the problems of single density EPS. I have a 6D , and will consider adding an LS2 to the gear bag, primarily because of the heat where I ride. Heat stroke is just as big, or an even bigger danger (for me at least) on certain days than is the injury potential of a crash.
1st I’ll say that I do a lot of research on helmet testing, theories behind safety features, etc... the LS2 addressed all of the issues that I have concerns about related to head safety including: pendulum effects with one of the lightest helmets on the market, annular space elimination with foam weld to shell, shell impact absorption qualities as well as their own EPS system.

All of that said... My son tested the ew LS2 helmet already a few weeks ago with a gnarly high side that sent him into the ground like an ostrich into hard pack. Miraculously, he didn’t even get a headache... unfortunately, he had a nasty Humerus break as a parting gift. We’re thankful for the helmet’s safety features keeping him from a brain injury and we’re happy he is able to ride just 7 short weeks after the wad up... dang kids bones heal fast!!
Mx746
5/19/2018 3:22am Edited Date/Time 5/19/2018 3:38am
racerx317 wrote:
1st I’ll say that I do a lot of research on helmet testing, theories behind safety features, etc... the LS2 addressed all of the issues that...
1st I’ll say that I do a lot of research on helmet testing, theories behind safety features, etc... the LS2 addressed all of the issues that I have concerns about related to head safety including: pendulum effects with one of the lightest helmets on the market, annular space elimination with foam weld to shell, shell impact absorption qualities as well as their own EPS system.

All of that said... My son tested the ew LS2 helmet already a few weeks ago with a gnarly high side that sent him into the ground like an ostrich into hard pack. Miraculously, he didn’t even get a headache... unfortunately, he had a nasty Humerus break as a parting gift. We’re thankful for the helmet’s safety features keeping him from a brain injury and we’re happy he is able to ride just 7 short weeks after the wad up... dang kids bones heal fast!!
Sorry to hear about his injury. Glad the helmet performed admirably though. You’re probably familiar with that old article about helmets titled “blowing the lid off” where a cheap polycarbonate helmet outperformed an expensive top of the line helmet just due to the soft plastic shell which was effective in g force reduction. Since then the expensive helmets have advanced in many ways most notably varying density eps and of course proprietary systems like 6d suspension tech etc. A quick look at the LS2 reminded me of Kali who uses a similar eps molded to the shell. Taking up any gaps, but Kali also has a unique foam shape that is touted as dispersing energy better than single density foam. Without a lab test we’re in the dark about how well LS2 would perform in comparison to the high end competition with the double or triple density eps, rotational management features such as Bells new system etc. Its conceivable to me that this helmet could measure up well in testing if the shell is “softer” than other helmets it could transmit fewer g forces. I’d like to see the lab results, vs a high end variable density eps equipped lid. I’m still buying one solely for the ventilation, and wearing the 6d in weather under 85 degrees or so.
fourfourone
5/19/2018 9:32am
id like to see some more feedback on these. they look nice for the price. Need a replacement for tld air
fourfourone
5/19/2018 10:28am
id like to see some more feedback on these. they look nice for the price. Need a replacement for tld air
-MAVERICK- wrote:
I saw those. seems the ls2 is half the price. I love my TLD and was thinking about grabbing an se3 but I like the euro helmet look. I would totally rock an airoh if they were easy to get.

Post a reply to: LS2 Helmets

The Latest