LL's sandbagging epidemic

4stroke4DWIN
Edited Date/Time 6/24/2012 9:43am
Hey guys I just jumped back into racing and was thinking about heading up to NORCAL to Honey Lake MX for the LL's area qualifier. I would ride the VET 30 + B/C but have been reading the sandbagging stories all over the net. Is it really that bad? I race the 30+ novice now but I think I can give the faster intermediates a run I just don't have the stamina yet to run that pace for extended periods of time, thats why I race the novice, well that and still getting used to the fofiddy. Should I just hold off til next yr when I'm a strong intermediate or just waste the money and go for the fun factor?
|
bradmx421
3/27/2012 6:53pm
go for FUN...thats what its all about in the long run anyway right? sadly in any AM racing there will always be sandbagging. i personally believe the major promoters all need to get together and address this issue. if they can figure out how to classify each class right. i personally believe the beginner class should be filled with true beginners, guys that can only jump a couple jumps. and Novices should not be able to do all the obstacles on most courses. when i was younger GFI really enforced its classes and the sandbaggin was not as bad cause people knew they would get bumped. i felt real bad when i got back into racing a cpup[le years ago and i still had decent speed just not confidence on my jumping and endurance. i signed up in the intermediate class and got passed by Novices..... made me feel real bad...lol.
Hando
3/27/2012 6:56pm
C riders @ Lorettas are B riders locally
VET74
3/27/2012 6:58pm
Hey guys I just jumped back into racing and was thinking about heading up to NORCAL to Honey Lake MX for the LL's area qualifier. I...
Hey guys I just jumped back into racing and was thinking about heading up to NORCAL to Honey Lake MX for the LL's area qualifier. I would ride the VET 30 + B/C but have been reading the sandbagging stories all over the net. Is it really that bad? I race the 30+ novice now but I think I can give the faster intermediates a run I just don't have the stamina yet to run that pace for extended periods of time, thats why I race the novice, well that and still getting used to the fofiddy. Should I just hold off til next yr when I'm a strong intermediate or just waste the money and go for the fun factor?
If you're not running at the top of the Master class in AZ, you'll probably struggle to be competitive even in the B/C class at Loretta's...it could be a process to get up to speed to be competitive there, so go for the fun factor.

The Shop

TeamGreen
3/27/2012 7:15pm
In 0-45 I don't think I get a choice...
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1666th
3/27/2012 7:41pm Edited Date/Time 3/27/2012 7:42pm
I think a sand bagger is pretty clear..

1) you are leading the entire moto with a 20-30 second or greater lead.. (half lap ahead of the pack)
2) you stay in a class and get 1st or 2nd in more then 6-8 races.

Unless you are clearly the above, it's just means that your the top of the class if you winning your first few races.. just go have fun..
racin mason
3/27/2012 7:59pm
You jumped back into racing,you are a fast intermediate and you ride novice,cool..
4stroke4DWIN
3/27/2012 8:00pm
Yea I think I will just skip this season I don't like to lose just for the fun of it lol. Even at my age I am just way to competitive.
4stroke4DWIN
3/27/2012 8:10pm
You jumped back into racing,you are a fast intermediate and you ride novice,cool..
Yea 10yrs off a bike and I jumped right onto a very modded 450, I got 6 races on this bike I know my limits. I'm not gapping the novice class by any means nor have I won all 6 of those races, I have stalled that fucker during the races more times than I want to talk about lol. I have NO problem riding intermediate but not til I feel I got my skills back up to par. Also the guys in my class seem to be pretty fast maybe our whole class is sandbagging lol now that I think about it.
4stroke4DWIN
3/27/2012 8:34pm
Turn up your idle ,and give em hell!!
This bike is the only bike that really scared me the first time, I was shaking. I kept asking myself what did you get yourself into.

Eh, my biggest problem with stalling is my style, my last bike was a 02 KX 250 so I ride the 450 like a 2T, My sponsor which is my employer/ engine builder was at the races this weekend and told me "Dood you can lay off the rev limiter a bit and still go fast" Blink
bullpen58
3/27/2012 8:35pm
From my experience, A rider locally race B class at big races and C class at LL. UnsureDizzy
4stroke4DWIN
3/27/2012 8:44pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Just do it...& take a fishin' pole!
They got some good fishin holes around them parts? lol
4stroke4DWIN
3/27/2012 8:47pm
bullpen58 wrote:
From my experience, A rider locally race B class at big races and C class at LL. UnsureDizzy
Thats the problem with LL's they combine B and C with A riders dropping down Sad I cant hang with A riders thats for sure, Intermediates if I ride out of my comfort zoneCool
3/27/2012 10:46pm Edited Date/Time 3/27/2012 10:49pm
Yea I think I will just skip this season I don't like to lose just for the fun of it lol. Even at my age I...
Yea I think I will just skip this season I don't like to lose just for the fun of it lol. Even at my age I am just way to competitive.
Honey lake is pure moto heaven........but too bad you only want to race against less experienced riders, so you will miss out due to your "competitive" nature.

This is the worst thread I ever read.

DC an open letter to get a Vet D class started at Lorettas....think of all the money you will make from all the out of shape vets with engine builders who didn't get to practice enough even though they have been racing since 1982.

Maybe thwy should just cancel the race and sell the bibs to the biggest bullshitters?

Competitive....what a joke.
redrider400
3/27/2012 10:53pm
I raced B class here in GA pretty much all my life once I got to that level. Having said that, I am 29 and have ridden with some dudes that made the B/C class and did well and lets just say that are real deal B riders. It really should just be called 30+amateur or 30+B class because I am pretty sure there arent any C riders in that class at Loretta's.
TDeath21
3/28/2012 2:44am
Why are there even B and C classes anyway? The term "C Class National Champion" is an oxymoron and it just doesn't sound right when you hear that term. Instead of running separate classes, how about after you qualify at your local regional and make it to Loretta's, they separate the riders into three heats (instead of A, B, and C). The first third of the pack in each of the heats will go to the A class final, which is the only one that will award the title "National Champion". The middle third will go to the B class final, and the last third of the pack will go to the C class final. The B and C finals are just racing for pride.

To me, this would make a lot more sense. It would eliminate sandbagging, which would allow people to race with riders of their caliber (after the heat race of course). Obviously I don't know all the little things Davey has to do at the track, and it's easy for me to sit behind a keyboard and make suggestions. I think it's definitely something that should be considered though, if they haven't already.
roughneck
3/28/2012 5:42am
If a guy gets the holeshot leads for a few laps and pulls off to take a shit..heads back out and still wins by 30 secs..He's a sandbagger..Huh

true story
steveada
3/28/2012 6:03am
If your only interest in riding is to win, stay close to home in the D class. If you want to have fun, be challenged, and really ride, run in the appropiate class. The quality of riders at an LL area qualifier is not the same as LL's. If only the people who had a shot of going to LL showed up at area qualifiers, most classes would have at most 2-3 riders. Vet classes would probably have 1 rider battling himself. Most of the vet classes at area qualifiers only have 4-5 guys running anyway, so no matter what your skill level or fitness level, there will probably be someone in your class you are close to. Why not go see where you stand? Also, in 30+ you are pretty much guaranteed to advance to the regional qualifier.
pete24
3/28/2012 6:12am
i just cant get past the fact that there is a 30C national chamionship, or any godamm novice championship for that matter
4stroke4DWIN
3/28/2012 6:15am Edited Date/Time 3/28/2012 6:33am
Yea I think I will just skip this season I don't like to lose just for the fun of it lol. Even at my age I...
Honey lake is pure moto heaven........but too bad you only want to race against less experienced riders, so you will miss out due to your "competitive"...
Honey lake is pure moto heaven........but too bad you only want to race against less experienced riders, so you will miss out due to your "competitive" nature.

This is the worst thread I ever read.

DC an open letter to get a Vet D class started at Lorettas....think of all the money you will make from all the out of shape vets with engine builders who didn't get to practice enough even though they have been racing since 1982.

Maybe thwy should just cancel the race and sell the bibs to the biggest bullshitters?

Competitive....what a joke.
Maybe your right, My next race I'll bump up to B. I have til August to get faster and atleast being in B will push me. I've never been a sandbagger and don't want to be one now.
steveada
3/28/2012 6:32am
pete24 wrote:
i just cant get past the fact that there is a 30C national chamionship, or any godamm novice championship for that matter
It's actually a B/C class, done I assume to take the pros out of the class.
maicocd
3/28/2012 6:42am
I think that sandbagging is as old as the sport itself...

However, I agree that in the age of internet, iphones, and twitter where we know what the Kardashian sisters ate for breakfast this morning, that there hasn't been any obvious advancement in addressing this issue.

In the old days, I could see how someone could skirt the system by the sheer fact that a centralized advancement database would have been impractical even if it did exist. Even if a promoter did bother to send the weekly results to a central advancement database, there would be little to no way of cross checking those who sandbagged and stayed down in class.

But if an AMA card's magnetic strip registered each time a rider entered a race, and this information was captured in a database, certainly it would flag chronic sandbag offenders. If I'm not mistaken, I think something like this does exist already, but I'm not sure that it has very strict enforecement that I'm aware of.
An AMA card (or other race card) be rendered "invalid" at sign-up if a rider doesn't heed warnings about racing down in class.

Of course such a system would prevent the kids we see today on a couple of the factory-backed "farm teams" that demolish the "C" and particulary the "B" classes. There are also more oganizations outside the AMA, so I just don't ever see sandbaggers ever being put where they belong.

I'd tell the original poster to just race in the class that he belongs in, but I'd also say race to just the class that you are most comfortable racing in to get back into the sport. Once the cobwebs are out and the body is ready for a better challenge, then do the right thing and advance yourself.
I'm sure that if he is "sandbagging" that he certainly won't be the only one!!
500guy
3/28/2012 6:57am
Hey guys I just jumped back into racing and was thinking about heading up to NORCAL to Honey Lake MX for the LL's area qualifier. I...
VET74 wrote:
If you're not running at the top of the Master class in AZ, you'll probably struggle to be competitive even in the B/C class at Loretta's...it...
If you're not running at the top of the Master class in AZ, you'll probably struggle to be competitive even in the B/C class at Loretta's...it could be a process to get up to speed to be competitive there, so go for the fun factor.
Bullshit, I ran 30 + Int in AZ and could run with any 30+ in the USA at the time.

The whole idea of dropping classes based on area is absurd.
wardy
3/28/2012 6:57am
the advancement process does work and is being dealt with on a daily basis.

One thing riders should know. If a rider is bagging and you know it, simply send that information to AmA or mx sports they will check to see if that rider is riding out of class. IF the information is true, poof gone. Any rider who has a AMA card and has raced has a RPV value you can look up on the AMA site, along with thier classification.

Also know that if a rider is from a non ama area and rides a higher class, that will also dq them from participating in a lower class at LL>

Now we all know this has gone on for a long LONG ass time, but much less today with the system in place.

Anyone with an issue should do this at regionals or before as it's harder to do at LL.
wardy
3/28/2012 6:59am
not true jay,

back in the day riders came across district and or out of non ama areas and dropped to a lower class all the time.

today not so much.
4stroke4DWIN
3/28/2012 7:24am
Thanks everybody for making me see the light so to speek, lol. I'm gonna give hell thats for sure. I guess I need to up my training/cardio. I was 218 pounds when I got back on a bike 3 months ago now I'm down to 196 at 6'2'' and I can tell a big difference, 190 is the goal. Another thing that sucks is not having and fast riding buddys to chase around in practice.........

The 2 classes I'm gonna ride are.
VET 30+ b/c
VET 35 plus? anybody have any info on this class?
3/28/2012 7:32am
Dropping down a class because you have been away from the sport is a no go.

Being away means you weren't practicing.

Vet class racing means you already are getting a break for your age and if at 30 you are not winning, maybe mx is not your sport?

Ask Emig what he thinks about dropping down a class, " you don't forget how to ride"
Cook441
3/28/2012 7:33am
Hey I rode 30plus B/C qually at Washougal couple years back.Didn't take it serious went out drinking night before etc because of all the sandbagger stuff. Real fun format 3 motos etc- Many folks came from California to ensure they qualified (they used Glen Helen as a back up I think). I want to say top 9 got you to Regionals.... There were some fast guys but I made it to the next round (Regionals) I think there they only took top 2 or 4 or something at the Regional race and that was quite a bit harderto get(Def need to be on your "B" game.

I race once a year in 30 plus C. I don't have the seat time throughout the year to make the jump to B (kids wife etc...need to be racing week in and out IMO to smooth out all the little issues).When I race once a year I normally place top 5 at Washougal National in 25 and 30 plus C hope it helps.

Post a reply to: LL's sandbagging epidemic

The Latest