LL Reg Pala DQs

77Moto
6/14/2019 12:02pm Edited Date/Time 6/14/2019 12:04pm
I think its been mentioned that contingency money is not purse money.
Even sponsorship cash is considered an endorsement deal, not purse money.
Alot of you guys really have no idea what really defines an amateur and a professional.

Your rider classification means absolutely nothing in an "Open Money" Or "Open Class with payback" race. Or a "Non Points paying Payback" race.

If you are a D rider, and get lucky and win 1 cent at that race, or cash that check, you have become a professional. You are forever open to a protest at any amateur event from there on out.

We had a kid locally turn down the money at an open class payback race and simply stated, "I cannot take the money for fear of losing my amateur status."
Smarter than most, or his parents were.

Edit:
This is my exact post from a few pages ago.

In fact, one time an "Open Class 125-500 with 150% payback" winner locally specifically said he could not take the money for fear of losing amateur status. And today with the net and everyone with a camera, probably a good thing because that could come back to bite you.
Regis
Fantasy
292nd
6/14/2019 12:35pm Edited Date/Time 6/14/2019 12:58pm
Some of you have obviously never been to LL’s and have never even raced. However, going to that event at 8 years old is far different than the picture some of you negative Nancy’s are painting.

At 8 you go to LL and spend a week in the pool, in a canoe in the creek, you camp and more than likely bond with your family as you go to the line and deal with immense butterflies. You watch your heroes race, even if at that age they are 85cc riders with amazing looking bikes. Sheesh, I remember when PC built RC and I believe Brock Sellards purpose built LL bikes one year with chrome plastic. I saw those bike, I got smoked by those bikes. I left with a desire and a drive to one day ride those bikes. I won a tricycle race in the pavilion and we had to make room for my new Scott mountain bike. We hit the road for the three day drive home and all I thought about was going back. Matter of fact, we’ve gone after getting hurt and not even qualifying

It’s not just a race, it’s an experience. Not all parents are the “mini parents” and having that type of moment, pressure and fun in a week can greatly shape your life.

One year, I was 125cc B rider. I was running second all Moto, I NEVER did good being a hard pack, blue groove racer from so cal. Anyways, I cartwheeled in the sweeper after the infield with only a handful of laps to go. I was trapped under my bike a little and couldn’t get up. I was begging, screaming with bones from PC to help me. He wouldn’t. I hated him, I really thought he was purposely cheering me on to get up when he knew I couldn’t. I finally did. I probably finished mid pack. I was so upset. Bones came to my pit afterwards to explain to me that his heart broke, but HE COULDNT help me or I would have been DQ’d for outside assistance. I was an FMF rider, he hugged me and told me he was impressed. I was then sure glad he didn’t help me. Bones always said hello to me for years after that.

I fee for the little girl and her getting DQ’d. But through heartache, we sometimes find motivation.

Man I miss LL’s and that feeling of driving across country to lay it all in the line. OR... get a kiss at the creek from a week long crush, flip a conoe, watch Robert Pastrana double backflip out of a tree..

As far as “some” riders getting paid? So what. Life isn’t fair. You can look at that two ways, either work harder to be that kid or be defeated. One thing for certain in life is you can only control what you do, that was a lesson I learned at the ranch after pouting about what the other kids had.

77Moto
6/14/2019 12:39pm Edited Date/Time 6/14/2019 12:55pm
DC and the AMA or FIM is not the only motocross sanction in the world, or the USA for that matter.. If some other sanction deemed you a pro because you won a payback race, so would the AMA/FIM.

Down the road someone shows a video of you winning money and says "Hey, that guy won purse money at
Joe Blow Fair Supercross. He can't race the B class as an amateur"

Guess what? You might be screwed!

Arkmx
6/14/2019 12:47pm
I have paid my kids to pull weeds..... doe's that make them Professional Weed Pullers..?

Let's keep kicking the dead horse in the balls to see if it barks......

Laughing

The Shop

Tracktor
6/14/2019 1:06pm
TriRacer27 wrote:
My son rides a 50. He's slow, he's never heard of Loretta Lynn (the singer or the race) and has a blast every time we ride...
My son rides a 50. He's slow, he's never heard of Loretta Lynn (the singer or the race) and has a blast every time we ride.

Imagine that.

He's learning how to man up and challenge himself. He's learned how to take care of his equipment and the value of money (he's 6 but this summer started doing the yard to buy himself a new set of gear). And he's learning to race fairly to the best of his ability. We're not doing it perfect, but I sure as heck know we're getting a lot more out of this sport than other families are.

Big picture guys. Don't forget it.
Keep it up - I've always put fun first with both my boys. Both have a decent amount of natural talent but my youngest has more drive. He really got fast in the last year. I always could see if but never pushed him just tried to let him have fun and get there himself. Right now he is killing it running with the local "factory" kids who do well nationally/have moto-nannies/multiple fully built bikes/houses in CA. He has only done training an handful of times in his life, we have decent home built bikes, and he rides mostly at home with his older brother and buddies. I've been asked more times than I can count what we are doing. I always answer "I let him have fun." Only a few moto-parents believe me but the ones that have and ride with us have also gotten faster. And more importantly are having more fun. It's a win-win all around........
DC
6/14/2019 1:12pm
slipdog wrote:
What if a racer was once a pro Snowmobile racer, could he race C class at Loretta's then?
yak651 wrote:
What ever happened to the dude that raced the womens class?
slipdog wrote:
I thought DC put the brakes on that deal in the end. As far as this thread I think Grape is picking up on what I...
I thought DC put the brakes on that deal in the end. As far as this thread I think Grape is picking up on what I was putting down Laughing
No, Danielle West is legally recognized as a woman and she raced at Loretta Lynn's in the Women's class. Super nice person who just loves motocross and wanted to continue racing. She wasn't in the top ten but she really seemed to enjoy the fact that the others she was racing against welcomed her as just another fellow competitor. I was happy for her.

DC
Racer X
slipdog
6/14/2019 1:33pm
yak651 wrote:
What ever happened to the dude that raced the womens class?
slipdog wrote:
I thought DC put the brakes on that deal in the end. As far as this thread I think Grape is picking up on what I...
I thought DC put the brakes on that deal in the end. As far as this thread I think Grape is picking up on what I was putting down Laughing
DC wrote:
No, Danielle West is legally recognized as a woman and she raced at Loretta Lynn's in the Women's class. Super nice person who just loves motocross...
No, Danielle West is legally recognized as a woman and she raced at Loretta Lynn's in the Women's class. Super nice person who just loves motocross and wanted to continue racing. She wasn't in the top ten but she really seemed to enjoy the fact that the others she was racing against welcomed her as just another fellow competitor. I was happy for her.

DC
Racer X
Apologies for my misstatement. I don't know if it is from 80s-90s helmet technology or just being in my 40s now but my memories get real fuzzy nowadays, lol. Sounds like other than keyboard jockeys on the internetz, everyone that actually was impacted by that situation was cool with everything. Thanks for the clarification!
77Moto
6/14/2019 1:35pm Edited Date/Time 6/14/2019 3:09pm
Deman684 wrote: This is the United States. The ONLY organizations that determine who is a professional here is AMA/FIM and MX Sports.

Sit down you rookie.

What about the Numerous Sanctions in your state alone for example?
Did you conveniently forget about ALL of those?

Lets see.
The old NMA, Are you even old enough to know about that one? You know, The WMGP and Ponca.
CMC
CRC
CMMC
GFI, remember that one?
early
Fantasy
2231st
6/14/2019 1:44pm
77Moto wrote:
[i] Deman684 wrote: This is the United States. The ONLY organizations that determine who is a professional here is AMA/FIM and MX Sports. [/i] Sit down...
Deman684 wrote: This is the United States. The ONLY organizations that determine who is a professional here is AMA/FIM and MX Sports.

Sit down you rookie.

What about the Numerous Sanctions in your state alone for example?
Did you conveniently forget about ALL of those?

Lets see.
The old NMA, Are you even old enough to know about that one? You know, The WMGP and Ponca.
CMC
CRC
CMMC
GFI, remember that one?
Take a step back and think about what is actually being discussed here.
Helda
6/14/2019 2:05pm
When these dads have their 401k ridding on Johnny being the next ET, I get trying to find the edge. When it is a big money...
When these dads have their 401k ridding on Johnny being the next ET, I get trying to find the edge. When it is a big money event such as Loretta's, don't cry when you get caught though you knew the risk. Anyone remember Tony Alessi getting Chatfields super mini back in the day? Play asshole games get asshole rewards.
Helda wrote:
Chatfield got Alessi's supermini FWIW not the other way around.
oldblood wrote:
Pic of the bike?
pdub187
Fantasy
2544th
6/14/2019 2:06pm
oldblood wrote:
The quest for excellence exists in every sport. You think moto dad's (and mom's) are crazy? You should check gymnastics parents, and football, baseball, modeling, acting...
The quest for excellence exists in every sport. You think moto dad's (and mom's) are crazy? You should check gymnastics parents, and football, baseball, modeling, acting, music, etc.
Complain about the system, but cheer for your favorite factory superstar(made from the system).

We're lucky to have the program we have. I don't know if it's perfect, but it is pretty damn good.
Mate 100%.

As a teenager, I played volleyball at a pretty high level, eventually representing Australia on a schoolboy level. Some of the parents were absolutely insane. There was none of the comraderie that you'll find at a Motorsport event. I more than once saw parents cheer when a child got hurt. It finished me with team sports tbh.
77Moto
6/14/2019 3:07pm
You're not understanding the difference.
I've already lost this battle. Twice if you count the appeal.

You tried to say the AMA, FIM, and MXSports are the ONLY ones who can determine who is a professional in the USA and I simply pointed out that you were wrong and that there are many sanctions who can, right in your state.

Im pretty sure if you won a CMC or CRC Open Money Payback event at Ascot Park or DeAnza or LACR or Perris or wherever, , the AMA and the FIM or MX Sports is NOT going to let you race Lorettas as a B class amateur. That would be jacked and basically what David Snow did.

Just because you don't hold an AMA pro license, doesn't mean the AMA or FIM are gonna say Oh yah, No problem Bro..
Just go ahead and race against true amateurs, then go back and race a few more money events! It's all good since you just hold an AMA license, just like 212,000 AMA members have!

rhargrave431
6/14/2019 3:26pm
This was a pretty neat post until everyone came in and started arguing about 50 year old Mike Brown waxing Plumber Bob and Plumber Bob not getting a factory ride because of it
MohMoto14
6/14/2019 3:49pm
mx317 wrote:
Getting prize money does not make you a pro for the 1000th time. You can be an A rider and get paid some purse money, but...
Getting prize money does not make you a pro for the 1000th time. You can be an A rider and get paid some purse money, but still be an amateur. I read what he wrote and what you wrote and you both are wrong. DC explained it also.
Waterbender if that was true then I turned pro while still on a pw50. It Wasn't AMA but had a few outlaw races pay, especially flat track.
MohMoto14
6/14/2019 6:59pm
Awesome I was pro at the age of 8, let your friend Webster know I appreciate the clarification so you can give his book back now. What does Webster's say about unhooking the oil injector on a pw50?

If you ever protest or get protested please bring your Webster's with you to that meeting and start pointing things out from it. That would be pretty neat to see.

Someone posted that making it to Loretta's makes you a pro, so you can put PRO FLAT TRACK GUY on that list a few times over as well. LOL I also raced in the A class in gncc's, none of the above made me a pro in any way. Its my Texas hold em earnings from the family reunion that did me in.

Jokes aside, I know technically your right and I agree with you somewhat. But until someone is scoring points at the very top(sx, outdoor Nationals, xc1-xc2 in gncc) and making living at it they are no more than a pro-amateur.

Sincerely
PRO FLAT MOTO HOLD'EM WOODS TRACK GUY
Bermworm
6/14/2019 10:04pm
Read all 6 pages and I dare anyone else to read them all without thinking it's all a bit dumb.Sometimes simple is best. No national championship until your 10 and on a 65 minimum.No one who ever held a pro license regardless if they ever scored a point or won any money or have had X number of years away should be considered an amateur.The age thing allows for the kids to develop and look forward to something. The pro license thing ensures that only amateurs in the truest sense of the word are allowed to compete. Never met anyone who held a pro license that didn't deserve it or who could be classed as slow.Never met a 5 year old who could have a conversation about anything let alone Moto.

Post a reply to: LL Reg Pala DQs

The Latest