LL Pee Wee Protest

8/8/2019 11:14am
Gilby122 wrote:
Man...if someone wanted to screw me and my kid, protest me. I'm not sure I could reassemble it all and get it running right in time...
Man...if someone wanted to screw me and my kid, protest me. I'm not sure I could reassemble it all and get it running right in time for the next moto! Laughing
mxbum wrote:
And that is the purpose of the protested PW holding cell that DC posted. Unless things have changed since Kyle McKenzie podiumed in 1994 on a...
And that is the purpose of the protested PW holding cell that DC posted. Unless things have changed since Kyle McKenzie podiumed in 1994 on a PW in a field of LEM's and Cobra's. The referee asked Kyle's grandfather what he was going to do between moto2 and 3 to the bike. He replied nothing and it was agreed that mxsports would impound the bike until the third moto, kyle would race the 3rd moto under protest and the tear down would be after the 3rd moto. By the way, Kyle was legal and his family left the ranch with close to $500 (in 1994 protest fee $).
If I am racing a Cobra, I can't think of a single thing that could be done to a PW that would make it worth protesting
early
Fantasy
2212th
8/8/2019 11:35am
Braaaphole wrote:
I talked to someone who saw this happen first hand, he came flying back to the pits telling us about the mess. I didn't realize that...
I talked to someone who saw this happen first hand, he came flying back to the pits telling us about the mess.
I didn't realize that this guy was also the same person who started the protest mess.
The guy was livid from what we were told. They tore his bike down and found the carb had some mods done to it, not sure what. He had no idea the carb was modded and was calling the engine builder and leaving him death threats.
That Pdub life is serious.
Don't tell prizefighter about the death threats, he might peewee himself Laughing
DC
8/8/2019 11:47am
Gilby122 wrote:
Man...if someone wanted to screw me and my kid, protest me. I'm not sure I could reassemble it all and get it running right in time...
Man...if someone wanted to screw me and my kid, protest me. I'm not sure I could reassemble it all and get it running right in time for the next moto! Laughing
mxbum wrote:
And that is the purpose of the protested PW holding cell that DC posted. Unless things have changed since Kyle McKenzie podiumed in 1994 on a...
And that is the purpose of the protested PW holding cell that DC posted. Unless things have changed since Kyle McKenzie podiumed in 1994 on a PW in a field of LEM's and Cobra's. The referee asked Kyle's grandfather what he was going to do between moto2 and 3 to the bike. He replied nothing and it was agreed that mxsports would impound the bike until the third moto, kyle would race the 3rd moto under protest and the tear down would be after the 3rd moto. By the way, Kyle was legal and his family left the ranch with close to $500 (in 1994 protest fee $).
If I am racing a Cobra, I can't think of a single thing that could be done to a PW that would make it worth protesting
In that smallest class, the one with all of the protests, it's only Yamaha PW50s, no Cobras or LEMs or anything else, and they are supposed to be stock. Turns out three were not!

DC
Racer X
8/8/2019 11:49am
mxbum wrote:
DC wrote:
In that smallest class, the one with all of the protests, it's only Yamaha PW50s, no Cobras or LEMs or anything else, and they are supposed...
In that smallest class, the one with all of the protests, it's only Yamaha PW50s, no Cobras or LEMs or anything else, and they are supposed to be stock. Turns out three were not!

DC
Racer X
Was responding to the post about 1994

The Shop

DC
8/8/2019 11:59am
DC wrote:
In that smallest class, the one with all of the protests, it's only Yamaha PW50s, no Cobras or LEMs or anything else, and they are supposed...

DC
Racer X
Sorry! 1994 was the year the Cobras first showed up, although there were only 3 or 4 of them there, but Brett Maimone, the Cobra founder's son, ended up winning.

DC
Racer X
ktm300hater
8/8/2019 12:19pm
DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
DC wrote:
Sorry! 1994 was the year the Cobras first showed up, although there were only 3 or 4 of them there, but Brett Maimone, the Cobra founder's...
Sorry! 1994 was the year the Cobras first showed up, although there were only 3 or 4 of them there, but Brett Maimone, the Cobra founder's son, ended up winning.

DC
Racer X
This will never happen just because if the cost, but imagine 42 brand new pdubs that belong to mx sports. You qualify on your own bike then show up to lorettas and have your bike furnished. Impound them after each moto and that Would end the cheating and a few 4-6 year old wouldn't be heartbroken because their dad is a snake
DC
8/8/2019 12:33pm
DC wrote:
Sorry! 1994 was the year the Cobras first showed up, although there were only 3 or 4 of them there, but Brett Maimone, the Cobra founder's...

DC
Racer X
This will never happen just because if the cost, but imagine 42 brand new pdubs that belong to mx sports. You qualify on your own bike...
This will never happen just because if the cost, but imagine 42 brand new pdubs that belong to mx sports. You qualify on your own bike then show up to lorettas and have your bike furnished. Impound them after each moto and that Would end the cheating and a few 4-6 year old wouldn't be heartbroken because their dad is a snake
We actually had this conversation in the office with the AMA officials as the protests were happening. It would be really cool if Yamaha could maybe have a trailer of PW50s there but I'm sure the cost and maintenance would be hefty...

DC
Racer X
LungButter
8/8/2019 12:40pm
This will never happen just because if the cost, but imagine 42 brand new pdubs that belong to mx sports. You qualify on your own bike...
I like this idea, just to protect the kids from the idiot parents.

Maybe Yamaha could sell them at cost if they wanted to buy them when they are done, to help offset some of the costs.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
8/8/2019 12:48pm
That's not a terrible idea. Kawasaki used to do something similar at the World Mini, wherein they had a stable of KX80s for the various stock/mod champions to race in an "ultimate" stock-class race. (The KROC - Kawasaki Race Of Champions.) It lost favor since the other factories didn't like their guys riding green bikes, but since nobody else makes a shaft-drive peewee, that issue wouldn't be a problem.
dadofagun
Fantasy
1962nd
8/8/2019 1:02pm
DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
Or 7, or 12. 3 were caught .....
Red Crawford
8/8/2019 1:06pm
DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
DC wrote:
We actually had this conversation in the office with the AMA officials as the protests were happening. It would be really cool if Yamaha could maybe...
We actually had this conversation in the office with the AMA officials as the protests were happening. It would be really cool if Yamaha could maybe have a trailer of PW50s there but I'm sure the cost and maintenance would be hefty...

DC
Racer X
Maintenance on a stock PW50? Oh shit, now that's funny! 🍻
DC
8/8/2019 1:08pm
DC wrote:
We actually had this conversation in the office with the AMA officials as the protests were happening. It would be really cool if Yamaha could maybe...

DC
Racer X
Maintenance on 42 of them.

DC
Racer X
Red Crawford
8/8/2019 1:15pm
DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
Understood. My kids did the stock p-dub thing, but I don't recall any maintenance other than filter and hosing it off. 😄 I like the idea (like the old Yamaha ROC dealio), but betting Yamaha legal dept. would howl with objections.

ktm300hater
8/8/2019 1:16pm
DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
Dozens of dollars!
I’d do the maintenance for hookup spot and free entry’s for area, regional and the national. Although that would mean I’d have to get off my butt and get in shape enough to race with all the ex pros 😂
mauidex
8/8/2019 1:17pm
DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
Would be way better way to spend marketing money than their 450 team last few years!!WhistlingWhistling
DC
8/8/2019 1:19pm Edited Date/Time 8/8/2019 1:19pm
DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
Understood. My kids did the stock p-dub thing, but I don't recall any maintenance other than filter and hosing it off. 😄 I like the idea...
Understood. My kids did the stock p-dub thing, but I don't recall any maintenance other than filter and hosing it off. 😄 I like the idea (like the old Yamaha ROC dealio), but betting Yamaha legal dept. would howl with objections.

I honestly have zero experience with pee-wee minicycle maintenance, my kids didn't start riding until they were on bigger bikes. I just thing that there would be a lot of obstacles to getting someone (including Yamaha) to have that many bikes on loan, even if for one week at Loretta Lynn's. Just guessing the rig, the mechanic/managers, the chain-of-custody, the liability exposure and all the rest would add up in a hurry.

DC
ktm300hater
8/8/2019 1:21pm
DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
Understood. My kids did the stock p-dub thing, but I don't recall any maintenance other than filter and hosing it off. 😄 I like the idea...

DC wrote:
I honestly have zero experience with pee-wee minicycle maintenance, my kids didn't start riding until they were on bigger bikes. I just thing that there would...
I honestly have zero experience with pee-wee minicycle maintenance, my kids didn't start riding until they were on bigger bikes. I just thing that there would be a lot of obstacles to getting someone (including Yamaha) to have that many bikes on loan, even if for one week at Loretta Lynn's. Just guessing the rig, the mechanic/managers, the chain-of-custody, the liability exposure and all the rest would add up in a hurry.

DC
That is a valid point. If a kid got hurt on a bike the parents weren’t in constant possession of I can only imagine the shitshow that would ensue
mxbum
8/8/2019 1:21pm Edited Date/Time 8/8/2019 1:22pm
DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
As I know you are aware, Brett won the 7-8 year old class. Kyle was in the 4-6 yr old group, which consisted of 5 Lem's, 1 cobra, 31 PW's, and 5 misc brands. Matusek (who still races, and does well at the ranch) won, J-Law was second, and McKenzie was third. Some other notables in that class were Marisa Hampshire (7th), the Alessi's (8th & 24th respectively) and Davi Milsaps (31st).
peltier626
8/8/2019 1:21pm
DC wrote:

DC
Racer X
mauidex wrote:
Would be way better way to spend marketing money than their 450 team last few years!!WhistlingWhistling
OUCH!
dadofagun
Fantasy
1962nd
8/8/2019 1:27pm
DC wrote:

DC
Racer X

84 gallons of gas, 2 gal of injector oil, 42 spark plugs, and 2 large bottles of filter oil. 3 techs to maintain the fleet, done. Utilize various other companies to help with costs/advertise ( Dunlop with tires/tubes, Maxima for lubes, etc... ). Everyone contributes to justify costs, plus they all get to write off expenses in various forms........ this shit could be pulled off. It's legal, it's honest, and the playing field is level. Win win for all involved. Winner gets the bike, all others can purchase said bike at a DEEP discount. What parent wouldn't want their kids racebike to keep from their first trip to Lorettas, especially if it's a "factory" bike???? This could seriously work......
Press516
Fantasy
126th
8/8/2019 2:04pm
LowBidder wrote:
There have been factory supported amateur racers at Lorettas since the first year it started. The factory guys used to race the next year model bikes...
There have been factory supported amateur racers at Lorettas since the first year it started. The factory guys used to race the next year model bikes at Ponca in the mod classes, before anyone else had even seen them. Factories were giving bikes, parts, expense accounts, gear etc. in 1982, nothing new.
Yep, went to Ponca in '79 with Honda support. Had the CR125 that came with the 23" front wheel from the factory modded with a 21" rim and custom triple clamps, etc... Not a works bike, but it was definitely a massaged production bike.

I find the comments above highly relevant if we are seeing this much cheating and teardowns, etc.

Set the class up like the old ROC... Bikes provided by and maintained by the promoter. I'm confident you could find sponsors, a tire supplier, etc. to go in on it.
77Moto
8/8/2019 2:17pm
I’d do the maintenance for hookup spot and free entry’s for area, regional and the national. Although that would mean I’d have to get off my...
I’d do the maintenance for hookup spot and free entry’s for area, regional and the national. Although that would mean I’d have to get off my butt and get in shape enough to race with all the ex pros 😂
LMAO. Nice.
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2471st
8/8/2019 2:24pm
aaryn #234 wrote:
We only have one "Full Stock class" here in Aus for our Junior National Championship which is the 50 class. Had my first year with my...
We only have one "Full Stock class" here in Aus for our Junior National Championship which is the 50 class.

Had my first year with my son in the class last year, approaching year two in a couple of months.

At least they are allowing us to run after market radiators on the KTM 50s this year.

But pretty much everything else has to be genuine stock parts, including clutches.

Can run different tyres, gearing, handle bars (not bar rises though!) and grips and change plastic color, that is about it.

Have to be stock foot pegs, no aftermarket bling.

Full of first year mini dad racers, there is a lot to learn in year one haha.
brycepdh wrote:
It wasn’t a pretty week at the aussies in Penguin, see that bike from Thailand had electric start on his 50? I wouldn’t like to go...
It wasn’t a pretty week at the aussies in Penguin, see that bike from Thailand had electric start on his 50?

I wouldn’t like to go through all that with the 50s again in scrutineering area. All I had to do was escort the top 3 bikes to the pull down area and make sure nothing was changed with the bikes. Had some 50 parent in my face complaining oh did someone protest us? Did someone think my bike is illegal? Who protested us etc...

I’m like dude your bike is in the top 3 and we require to pull down every top 3 finisher, I know nothing and all my job is to escort your bike from Parc ferme to the pull down area. Does this have to be so hard?
Haha yeah the 50 class was full on, real eye opener for myself.

Our bike was dead stock apart from the radiators, I had the stock ones there but there had split, another guy from SA had two sets of stock ones which he had patched up and was running aftermarket,

I think on the Wednesday the top ten from the race that day got pulled up, the rest of us had to report in the following morning,

There were kids crying in the holding pen, it was just crazy.

We both bolted on the patched up stock radiators that night!

At least we know what to expect this year, buying on up stock parts at the moment lol.
Red Crawford
8/8/2019 2:30pm
dadofagun wrote:
84 gallons of gas, 2 gal of injector oil, 42 spark plugs, and 2 large bottles of filter oil. 3 techs to maintain the fleet, done...
84 gallons of gas, 2 gal of injector oil, 42 spark plugs, and 2 large bottles of filter oil. 3 techs to maintain the fleet, done. Utilize various other companies to help with costs/advertise ( Dunlop with tires/tubes, Maxima for lubes, etc... ). Everyone contributes to justify costs, plus they all get to write off expenses in various forms........ this shit could be pulled off. It's legal, it's honest, and the playing field is level. Win win for all involved. Winner gets the bike, all others can purchase said bike at a DEEP discount. What parent wouldn't want their kids racebike to keep from their first trip to Lorettas, especially if it's a "factory" bike???? This could seriously work......
You nailed it! 🎯

I believe Yamaha could work around the liability, and I like your idea. Winner gets his bike free---all others could buy out the "one race lease" for their kid's LL race bike.

LowBidder
Fantasy
1737th
8/8/2019 2:33pm
DC wrote:

DC
Racer X

dadofagun wrote:
84 gallons of gas, 2 gal of injector oil, 42 spark plugs, and 2 large bottles of filter oil. 3 techs to maintain the fleet, done...
Thats a good idea
8/8/2019 2:47pm
dadofagun wrote:
You nailed it! 🎯 I believe Yamaha could work around the liability, and I like your idea. Winner gets his bike free---all others could buy out...
You nailed it! 🎯

I believe Yamaha could work around the liability, and I like your idea. Winner gets his bike free---all others could buy out the "one race lease" for their kid's LL race bike.

Liability-wise KTM manages to drag some of their high maintenance 50s all over the country for many rounds to ride on tracks that no mini should be on for Supercross juniors.
dadofagun
Fantasy
1962nd
8/8/2019 2:57pm
dadofagun wrote:
You nailed it! 🎯 I believe Yamaha could work around the liability, and I like your idea. Winner gets his bike free---all others could buy out...
You nailed it! 🎯

In addition, whatever bikes were not purchased by the riders parents after the event could either be sold on site, or sent to one of the bigger Yamaha dealers to be sold ( Rock River comes to mind because they are already on hand) as used, Loretta legal PW's. Cared for by Yamaha techs, all bikes with less than 2hrs time on them. Yamaha could probably stuff the entire circus in one large 5th wheel trailer, complete with bikes, tools, and parts. Essentially this is the same as the KTM challenge, only once a year. You get your kid into the show on our brand of bike, we take care of the rest once you're there. The companies that would jump on board with this are everywhere, from gear, to graphics, tires, you name it. They would all reap rewards from helping out the future of our sport by putting their name on this program. All parties involved could benefit in tenfold. This really needs to be looked into, I just wish I had some pull to get the ball rolling.....
Smiles across the board.
Red Crawford
8/8/2019 4:58pm Edited Date/Time 8/8/2019 4:59pm
Dadofagun's proposal has real merit! This needs to happen.
Modern day Pee Wee Race of Champions. 👍
dadofagun
Fantasy
1962nd
8/8/2019 5:16pm
Dadofagun's proposal has real merit! This needs to happen.
Modern day Pee Wee Race of Champions. 👍
Thanks bud! I think it could work with proper planning. Hard work, determination, it could happen......anything can.

Post a reply to: LL Pee Wee Protest

The Latest